• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl versus Halo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Actually Brawl isn't so one-of-a-kind. Smash is kinda like Power Stone for Genisis, only thing is that Genisis is older. I don't know the details of the game but I know it's just like Smash.
Yeah, but there's nothing like smash right now.

and EPF, you misspelled sensai at the bottom of your post. sensei is the actual word, sensai is the guy on SWF.

Sensai

Smash Master
Actually, there are two of us, one being me and the other being Sensei, the actual word. I'm going to assume he was talking about me, and will stop this line of confusing conversation posthaste.

Deathcarter said:
Since my own words tell me to specify my position on the subject, The Halo series is argueably the best series on the Xbox and nobody has the ability to prove otherwise. And as far as Halo 3 goes, if Microsoft takes any caution in making its premier games like Nintendo does, it will be a great game like its predecesors.
I agree with this whole-heartedly, but I'm a tad more cynical then you. We both consent that the Halo series makes the best Xbox games (save Fable...**** what a game), but in my eyes it's because the original Xbox didn't have much to go on. I know this sounds fanboy-esque, but there just weren't many games on the system that couldn't be found elsewhere, and Halo happened to be the cream of that crop.

And MS does have a huge opportunity to make Halo 3 a great game. I, for one, feel that they messed up on Halo 2 and took away some of the attraction from the original, which was admittedly ok. I could stand doing some Halo on Sidewinder (that's the name of it, right? The ice place?) with your friends, but Halo 2 just seemed more solo oriented.
But to each his own...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Actually, there are two of us, one being me and the other being Sensei, the actual word. I'm going to assume he was talking about me, and will stop this line of confusing conversation posthaste.

I agree with this whole-heartedly, but I'm a tad more cynical then you. We both consent that the Halo series makes the best Xbox games (save Fable...**** what a game), but in my eyes it's because the original Xbox didn't have much to go on. I know this sounds fanboy-esque, but there just weren't many games on the system that couldn't be found elsewhere, and Halo happened to be the cream of that crop.

And MS does have a huge opportunity to make Halo 3 a great game. I, for one, feel that they messed up on Halo 2 and took away some of the attraction from the original, which was admittedly ok. I could stand doing some Halo on Sidewinder (that's the name of it, right? The ice place?) with your friends, but Halo 2 just seemed more solo oriented.
But to each his own...
Ninja Gaiden.

Also KOTOR and Jade Empire, but mostly Ninja Gaiden.

Oh, and anyone following Halo 3, be sure to check this out. 7 minute multiplayer documentary. It looks ******** IMO but a lot of people are wetting themselves over it so whatever.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I wonder if Halo or Halo 2 appeared on Nintendo counsels, would the few Halo haters still bash it as much?

but if it sucks Halo 3 will not have all the hype and popularity and

1. Nintendo would never put such a crappy game in their consoles(exept nintendogs).

2. Halo 3 will be popular even if it sucks I mean Halo, Halo 2 sucked and yet its popular so why not Halo 3?

Sensai

Smash Master
pikachun00b7 said:
Nintendo would never put such a crappy game in their consoles(exept nintendogs).
Not like that game made people take notice and take seriously the DS...

Kinda like Halo for the 'box.

And Shai, you're right. I feel I need to clarify, I guess....I'm not saying that the 'box had NOTHING, I'm just saying that it had very little, with Halo getting all the hype as it was a plug-and-play type game that required little more to do. Ninja Gaiden was good from what I heard, and KOTOR wasn't half shabby at all (still liked Fable...), but neither one was...

I dunno how to say what I'm thinking. Just know that I'm not saying the 'box had no games, I'm just saying that Halo rose to the top of the note so big list of games through a series of events.

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
Personally I don't see why people don't come to the following conclusion: Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, will probally not have a realese date oriented around some other game, what I think is that not even Nintendo knows when its gonna realese it.

O.K. just go with me for a seccound here, if Nintendo went threw all the trouble of makeing a entire division of itself SOLELY for Smash Brothers(For those of you who don't know go read Smash Dojos website. Its the main site.) why would they constrict themselves to a time frame? Time frames only stress out the coders working at"The Studio".(It's name, to the best of my knowlage, hasent been given yet.) Smash brothers is oviously a very special game to Nintendo, and thusly it is my conclusion that Nintendo will not know when its done till it AUCTUALLY HAPPENS.

Of course it wont be shipped the day its finished, but as soon as its AUCTUALLY DONE, well know beceause we'll be watching new videos at IGN or GameTrailers. :chuckle: After that happens all we have to do is guess what the closest and best time for a realses is...

*Notices he has said absolutly nothing about Halo...Shrugs it off*
I'll say this about Halo: it made me smile when it came out. I hate shotters. Why? Almost every other one is a freaking WWII shotter! "Hey everybody look, we've made this awesome game, high tech graphics, super fast game play, and killer NPC AI's, but guess what else? YOU GET TO USE OLD GUNS THAT TAKE FIVE MINUTES TO LOAD AND HAVE NO ORIGINALITY AT ALL" And every FPS fan and there brother screem and wet them selves. Why? No inovation was put in, and its just a sh**ty remake of whats been done hundreds of times allready!

For this reason Halo made me smile, new plot, new story line, no more generic soldiers....Well...Less of them, but you get the picture. That was to me the only playable FPS at the time.

Although I still think that Brawl will beat Halo 3 by a slim margin. Yes I know there fanbase, but look at us! And if you think thats something? look at some of these peoples join dates! Were STILL getting new people, know what else 1) This an unnoficial site, not Bungiee or W/E and we still got tons of people, 2) half the smash community doesent know this site exists. Yes, belive it or not I knew noone that has been to this site before I started introduceing my classmates to it. Halo is huge, I'll admit that but Smash is a frendly game and a hardcore game. Also its on a relitivly cheep system. Beceause of that not only will we buy this game, but the young Nintendo fans will buy this game, the aunts and uncles of the Nintendo fans will buy this game(They usually guess anyway :chuckle:), and the return Smash fan who hasent even been here will buy this game.

One more quick thing: I havent talked to someone who didn't at least KINDA like this game, I've talked to alot of haters of Halo tho.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
There's a lot of blatant fanboyism on these forums.

Halo is not a game that was merely good in comparison to other games. Were that true, Halo and Halo 2 would not have been system-selling games. Halo was the first truly accessible console-based fps.

The gameplay is fantastic--smooth and just the right speed. The physics system is great for the game. The online system is unbeatable and--if what Bungie's saying about H3's is true--it'll only get better. There's a large competitive market, a pretty deep, comprehensive storyline, and, most importantly, easy accessibility to new players, both online and off.

Smash, by comparison, has no plot. A bunch of popular characters are beating the snot out of one other on vaguely defined worlds for no real reason. That's part of the fun, but it's enough to make single player somewhat dull. The competition system relies on you having a friend over or going elsewhere--it's difficult to play many different people at your own level. Brawl will have online, but I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to bungie's years-in-the-making matchmaking system.

This board is not indicative of the gaming population. There's a lot of needless hate on here directed toward a game which is otherwise fairly popular.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Not like that game made people take notice and take seriously the DS...

Kinda like Halo for the 'box.

And Shai, you're right. I feel I need to clarify, I guess....I'm not saying that the 'box had NOTHING, I'm just saying that it had very little, with Halo getting all the hype as it was a plug-and-play type game that required little more to do. Ninja Gaiden was good from what I heard, and KOTOR wasn't half shabby at all (still liked Fable...), but neither one was...
Wrong. Ninja Gaiden is the best action game of the last five years, at least. In fact I bought my XBOX solely because of Ninja Gaiden, and it happened to come with Halo, so I started playing that as well. Ninjas are just too awesome. ;)

I think there were more good games on the XBOX than the Gamecube. The Gamecube library was garbage.

Gamecube had
Smash
MP1
MP2

Those were the only truly excellent games IMO, until Twilight Princess.

Xbox had

Halo
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Kotor
Kotor2
Jade Empire
Splinter Cell games
GTA games (ports, but still better than the PS2 versions)
DOA3

For me at least the XBOX had a much more appealing library. Nintendo has kinda sucked since the N64 days. Man, so many good games back then... :(

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Although I still think that Brawl will beat Halo 3 by a slim margin. Yes I know there fanbase, but look at us! And if you think thats something? look at some of these peoples join dates! Were STILL getting new people, know what else 1) This an unnoficial site, not Bungiee or W/E and we still got tons of people, 2) half the smash community doesent know this site exists. Yes, belive it or not I knew noone that has been to this site before I started introduceing my classmates to it. Halo is huge, I'll admit that but Smash is a frendly game and a hardcore game. Also its on a relitivly cheep system. Beceause of that not only will we buy this game, but the young Nintendo fans will buy this game, the aunts and uncles of the Nintendo fans will buy this game(They usually guess anyway :chuckle:), and the return Smash fan who hasent even been here will buy this game.
Dude. This community is TINY. 60,822 members right now. The MLG forums have 201,438. There are way more at Bungie.net. There are 28,441 people playing Halo 2 on live RIGHT NOW.

If you seriously think the Smash community is larger than the Halo community then you are just delusional.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Nintendo made Smash.
Microsoft made Halo.

so it is only logical to say
Smash>Halo
The Halo crowed is larger because it is filled with n00bs.

Yes I'm a bigot. :)

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I like Smash more than Halo, but Halo is way more popular than Smash, if they compete Halo will win. If only more people knew smash... :(
I will get both anyway :)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Halo sucks. What is the difference between all the halos? Nothing.
You're no better than a Halo fanboy. They [probably] wouldn't care to see the differences in the 3 Smashes, all they would realize is that smash is full of Nintendo characters, which they probably find kiddy, and stop their because they don't know the mechanics, just as you refuse to see the differences between the Halos.

Here's how your fanboyism make you look ********, I'll list 1 little difference between Halo 1 and 2:

Online.

[/argument]

Also note that no one really listens to fanboys, whether they be smash or Halo fanboys, so upon realization of your blinding fanboyism people will disreguard anything you have to say about the topic because it'll be like talking to a wall.

The point? Don't be a fanboy. Be a gamer.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Nintendo made Smash.
Microsoft made Halo.

so it is only logical to say
Smash>Halo
The Halo crowed is larger because it is filled with n00bs.

Yes I'm a bigot. :)
Strictly speaking, a much larger percentage of Halo players are competitive (tournament-going) than Smashers, so you're wrong.

You fanboys just need to STFU as you clearly don't know what youa re talking about.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I like Smash way more than Halo but most likely Halo will win... Even if the game does suck, everyone will buy it before they can find out so it doesn't matter.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
As soon as people discover that they can pre-order Brawl, they will. Without a thought, even. More people will pre-order Brawl than Halo 3. There should even be a collectors edition.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
That actually might be true(reservations)... When Halo 1 and 2 came out, I went to the store at night and still saw quite a lot left for a game of that calibur.As for the collectors edition, I dont see that happening.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
As soon as people discover that they can pre-order Brawl, they will. Without a thought, even. More people will pre-order Brawl than Halo 3. There should even be a collectors edition.
So when people discover that they can preorder Halo they'll just sit on their *** and wait till it reaches the store? Right...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Before anyone says anything to me, I only said(meant) it was partially true! I know a lot of people are going to reserve it, but I'm just saying what I see...

Papapaint

Halo 3's been reservable for a while. and there have been a ****load of reservations made... one of them mine.

As for Halo 3's release date, it's now predicted to be in september.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Jesus Christ you're dumb.

People need to wake up. This isn't a matter of opinion. Halo is more popular than Smash. The End.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Not as many people will buy into Smash because it's 'kiddy'. It doesn't mtter how good the gameplay is to them, the fact is more people care about their image than you think, so if their friends catch them playing something 'kiddy' it'll ruin their image, while a game like Halo would make them seem more mature or hardcore.

Papapaint

It's nothing to do with kiddiness.

Halo has a fairly deep storyline, easily one of the best storylines of an fps ever. It has fantastic graphics, outstanding gameplay, great balance (excepting glitches), and requires a fair bit of strategy and practice. It's got a huge online community, making it easy to play against anyone else at any point in time. It's smooth. It's fun. It takes practice and skill.

Smash also takes practice and skill. The graphics are cool, but simplistic. There is no storyline.

I'm not arguing that Halo is a better game. That's subjective. What I'm arguing is that there is a good deal more to the game than mere fanboyism. It is not a low-quality game. It is unique in its genre (fps) much as smash is (2d fighter).

And yes... it's more popular, particularly amongst the tourney crowd.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've heard people shrug off smash because it was "kiddy". It's a mistake on their part but I think that is why people didn't buy Gamecubes, becaue they were 'kiddy'.

Xbox and Halo don't have that problem.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm 99% sure that Dyse was being sarcastic. Either that...or I've lost all faith in humanity.

And Shai, you really don't like fanboys, do you?

Cenedar

Smash Ace
IMO, I honestly don't think the two can compete in that sense. They definitely have fanbases with some overlap, but just not enough overlap to make a fair comparison. If we're talking raw sales numbers, it'll probably be Halo 3.

I too think that FPS's are becoming slowly more overrated and overhyped, but I will concede that the Halo series does break the mold in that sense. Every time I hear about ANOTHER WWII FPS being released, I want to scream and run into the street breaking things, AND PEOPLE with some blunt object.

Halo is good. I suck at it, I will admit, but it is good. Will I get it? No. I don't have an Xbox 360 and getting one is not really a priority of mine. I'm just fine with my Wii. Call it fanboyism if you wish, it's just my opinion. However, I have not played Halo nearly enough to say that it is either "orgasmic" or "a peice of ****" like I have seen Halo and Nintendo fanboys post.

I will definitely get Brawl, it was about 1/3 of my original intent for buying a Wii. The other two thirds being Twilight Princess and MP3. But now I also have other games I love to play as well.

So, in short, I won't compare the two by saying who will "kill" the other. I'll leave that to either people who play both or fanboys from either side who wish to kill each other off with their ridiculous flaming posts. It means we have to deal with less of them, which is fine by me.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
END THREAD NOW!

SSBB WILL WIN BECAUSE HALO 3 WILL END UP LIKE HALO1 AND GET TAKEN OVER BY HALO 4.
SSBB WILL BE OUT FOR LIKE 6 YEARS JUST LIKE SSBM

I win

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
Fangirl?
Just cuz I have a Zelda Avatar im a girl?
:O you have a samus avatar so your a girl too?

Just saying its completely true that in the future SSBB will be better than Halo 3
Because... SSBB will be here til next gen... and Halo 3 will be here til Halo 4.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing to do with kiddiness.

Halo has a fairly deep storyline, easily one of the best storylines of an fps ever. It has fantastic graphics, outstanding gameplay, great balance (excepting glitches), and requires a fair bit of strategy and practice. It's got a huge online community, making it easy to play against anyone else at any point in time. It's smooth. It's fun. It takes practice and skill.

Smash also takes practice and skill. The graphics are cool, but simplistic. There is no storyline.

I'm not arguing that Halo is a better game. That's subjective. What I'm arguing is that there is a good deal more to the game than mere fanboyism. It is not a low-quality game. It is unique in its genre (fps) much as smash is (2d fighter).

And yes... it's more popular, particularly amongst the tourney crowd.
True, Halo is a fantastic game, with a great storyline - it's a more adult game.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Fangirl?

Just saying its completely true that in the future SSBB will be better than Halo 3
Because... SSBB will be here til next gen... and Halo 3 will be here til Halo 4.
As much as I'd love to see Halo 4 - Chief made it clear that he was going to "finish this fight' for Halo 3...

I'm not a HUGE Halo fan, but I am a fan, I think it'll be a trilogy... And then they may release a special Halo, like "Anthology" or 'Reloaded' just really a new Halo with a smaller storyline, nothing as big as the current one... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended it in 3 and then released some updates every few months...

SSB... Well, Sakuri isn't immortal...

We may be seing the last one this time.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Fangirl?

Touche, but your name makes it impossible to denote gender.

But your logic doesn't make sense. Smash is better because it'll take longer to make another one? What if Smash sucks, that wouldn't make it better than Halo 3 if it doesn't suck.

I doubt they'll be a Halo 4 anytime soon, Halo is returning to it's roots and becoming a RTS [real time strategy] in Halo Wars.
I expect this to be worthwhile since I love RTS's so much. I played Age of Empire demos over and over and over. I even downloaded a demo for a game called Sacrifice [RTS] and played it over and over and over even though only 2 missions were available on the demo.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If I have a 360 by then I'll buy it. Most RTS' are enjoyable for me. Halo was supposed to be a RTS anyway but somehow it ended up as a FPS.

Sensai

Smash Master
Halo was supposed to be an RTS to begin with. Dunno how many of you guys knew that, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

And we're not arguing the quality of the games, as that is subjective. We're wondering and philosophizing (yes, I know) which one will come out on top sales wise and reception wise.

Maybe just sales. I'm sure they'll both be reviewed and hailed to be excellent games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom