• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Of course! Not only am I trying to create/foster the 3DS scene with streams and such, but Super Smash World Tournaments (SSWT) is an upcoming prject to help keep track of data in all smash games in a simple way that is viewable by everyone. And you will be able to check your personal data too, see what stages you are best on, which matchups you have a hard time on... It'll help know best stages for all characters, character matchups, I mean a LOT of epic data.

And... Online matchmaking for fun similar/maybe better then AllIsBrawl

Let's hope it gets funner. Of course, you gotta watch out for the generic top tiers after the game's like 6 months to 2 years (after we do our research of course) old. However, knowing the game will most likely be more balanced than brawl, we don't have to worry bout too much extremeness, or at least I hope I'm right.

EDIT: I know we're gonna see a ton of the current 3 newcomers because, well you know, they're new and look interesting. But over time as the game gets older, we may see some changes in how common a character is.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Let's hope it gets funner. Of course, you gotta watch out for the generic top tiers after the game's like 6 months to 2 years (after we do our research of course) old. However, knowing the game will most likely be more balanced than brawl, we don't have to worry bout too much extremeness, or at least I hope I'm right.

EDIT: I know we're gonna see a ton of the current 3 newcomers because, well you know, they're new and look interesting. But over time as the game gets older, we may see some changes in how common a character is.

It's true, at the very beginning things wont be as stable. But with this data we can more accurately interpret things when making rulesets or developing tiers later on when the dust settles. It would be a useful tool.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
When it comes to pretty much any game that has any form of competitive scene, there is always the phase at the beginning where people experiment with the varies mechanics and try to dissect which ones are the most useful. Super Smash Bros. is not an exception, and it's guaranteed to happen again.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
When it comes to pretty much any game that has any form of competitive scene, there is always the phase at the beginning where people experiment with the varies mechanics and try to dissect which ones are the most useful. Super Smash Bros. is not an exception, and it's guaranteed to happen again.

Yes, I'm hoping this data can contribute to that and also help prevent knee jerk reactions that may happen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I doubt simply knowing the data will be enough, after all there is a difference between execution and numbers. Maybe the latter would matter more in the context of something like say Pokemon, but for Super Smash Bros. that's not the case.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I doubt simply knowing the data will be enough, after all there is a difference between execution and numbers. Maybe the latter would matter more in the context of something like say Pokemon, but for Super Smash Bros. that's not the case.

It depends, what if we said a new stage was polarizing to certain matchups. New Stage has some people who kinda agree based on fights they've had so it's banned. That might not be good. Now, the data shows that most matchups ARE NOT polarized. That data could be very important. Or if it shows they ARE very polarizing, the data helps establish precedent for a ban. Either way, at least we had more then opinions and random matches we've had thrown together to look at.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It does. It invented glitches no other game has ever had, can actually ruin your console if you play it, has the most horrific balance I've ever seen, repetitive and stale game mechanics, and the community is on par with CoD or WWE ESPECIALLY in terms of maturity. If you really wanna know how the community asks, search this thread for posts by me involving "cookie tournament" to see what they do.

(I was the only person willing to try and put up with them so a competitive community could exist. These people wont even say thank you for it almost all the time, and call you stupid for enforcing simple rules on a website. Seriously, no one should EVER buy this game.)
I know that the game had problems not as bad as you're describing it. Are you saying that PSAS is close to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 when it comes to balancing? Since I've only played kiosk demos I can't fully express my opinion on PSAS but what I've been seen via the internet it's safe that game is one of the worst (if not the worst) executed games I've ever seen. The roster is small and screaming marketing purposes; the whole DLC schedule was a train wreck; extremely lacking on extra modes, unlockables and content (Melee, a 12 year old game, had more content than PSAS); and firing the developer. To add fuel to the fire Sony has announced that they're giving any new DLC hope the axe. Like I said, never got to fully play it but what I've seen online it's sad and disappointing.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I know that the game had problems not as bad as you're describing it. Are you saying that PSAS is close to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 when it comes to balancing? Since I've only played kiosk demos I can't fully express my opinion on PSAS but what I've been seen via the internet it's safe that game is one of the worst (if not the worst) executed games I've ever seen. The roster is small and screaming marketing purposes; the whole DLC schedule was a train wreck; extremely lacking on extra modes, unlockables and content (Melee, a 12 year old game, had more content than PSAS); and firing the developer. To add fuel to the fire Sony has announced that they're giving any new DLC hope the axe. Like I said, never got to fully play it but what I've seen online it's sad and disappointing.

It may actually be WORSE then MvC games. Seriously. And it had some lesser problems, but the major ones I mentioned do exist. Yeah... it's horrible as you just described on everything else too.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
It does. It invented glitches no other game has ever had, can actually ruin your console if you play it, has the most horrific balance I've ever seen, repetitive and stale game mechanics, and the community is on par with CoD or WWE ESPECIALLY in terms of maturity. If you really wanna know how the community asks, search this thread for posts by me involving "cookie tournament" to see what they do.

(I was the only person willing to try and put up with them so a competitive community could exist. These people wont even say thank you for it almost all the time, and call you stupid for enforcing simple rules on a website. Seriously, no one should EVER buy this game.)
Oh, Sony, you don't impress me much...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the only company that could make a crossover fighting/party game to (at least close as possible) rival the Super Smash Bros. franchise would be SEGA, which would be ironic in a sense.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now that we're thinking bout stages, who wants to bet that FD (when we see it) will be one of if not the most commonly-picked stage for a long time?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Oh gosh, I remember this one time I was on an Minecraft server and someone accused another player of hacking. I tried to rational, and asked what the "hacker" was doing, but he simply called me stupid, as did 2 other people.

Why is it that games like CoD and Minecraft serve as the base for so many idiots?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
PSASBR COULD have been decent with proper funding and support. But it got nothing it ever could have needed and honestly shouldn't hhave had the lead people (Omar Kendal, Clockwork, Killian) at the head. They didn't know how to make the game be a success and made the huge mistake of trying to make it competitive on purpose but did a TERRIBLE job at doing even that right.

Oh gosh, I remember this one time I was on an Minecraft server and someone accused another player of hacking. I tried to rational, and asked what the "hacker" was doing, but he simply called me stupid, as did 2 other people.

Why is it that games like CoD and Minecraft serve as the base for so many idiots?
No idea man, no idea :(

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Now that we're thinking bout stages, who wants to bet that FD (when we see it) will be one of if not the most commonly-picked stage for a long time?

I actually doubt this. Most matches where people tried to keep statistics in the past it was a striken stage, and in all honesty it should be a cp in smash bros if we dont use a superior list striking system.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Final Destination is not exactly going to used a whole a lot like people think it is, at least in the context of the more serious competitive side. Final Destination is actually deceptively not really balanced in a sense; the counterpart Battlefield is generally regarded as more balanced.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Sadly it will be common when non-competitive, but I do hope we actually get a variety of stages in our set (stage set I mean) this time, with non that doesn't bring out extreme advantages to some characters, along the lines of when Brinstar and RC used to be legal, which made MK tons more powerful when it came to CP'ing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Playstation All-Stars has console-destroying glitches?! I mean, I own the game, but didn't know that.

Anyway, I'd take Icicle Mountain. Outside of the ice, it lacks easy-ko'ing hazards like the spikes in Rumble Falls. Music-wise, neither does anything for me.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm not the only one who has a really hard time playing in matches that are more than 1v1, right? I just have trouble following everything for some reason.
I wonder if it will be any easier on me for the next game.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I really like FD. Sometimes when I'm in the training room practicing my characters or even just beating up cpus I lose myself looking at the background. I know this might sound foolish but I really love to art they put into the background of FD. So much so that I based some of my artwork for college on it.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I think a Namco or Capcom SSB-esquegame could rival Super Smash Bros. They got tons of characters to use.

Also, I didn't knew Smashboards had a Wikipedia page. Wow. :O

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd actually REALLY enjoy a game where they took 10-15 of each big gaming company's greatest mascots and characters, and pitted them against each other in a fighting game. Of course in my mind it would end up Nintendo VS. SEGA VS. Namco-Bandai VS. Square-Enix VS. Capcom VS. Ubisoft VS. Rareware VS. Activision VS. EA (just to beat the heck out of dem stupid MySims) VS. PlayStation Peoples.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not the only one who has a really hard time playing in matches that are more than 1v1, right? I just have trouble following everything for some reason.
I wonder if it will be any easier on me for the next game.
Mostly in Basic Brawl do I have that issue.

Mainly, it's because I'm focusing on one good player and some noob keeps screwing me over.

I was utterly ticked off one day, when I finally K.O'd a rival, but the noob Sonic stole my kill with his Up-Smash...AND THE NOOB DIDN'T EVEN MEAN TO HIT HIM.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
However, SEGA seems to be the one that might be most competent. At least, I believe so. I mean if SEGA can give Mario Kart a run for it's money with Sonic & All-Stars Racing, I think some sort of Super Smash Bros.-esque game would be perfectly plausible too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd actually REALLY enjoy a game where they took 10-15 of each big gaming company's greatest mascots and characters, and pitted them against each other in a fighting game. Of course in my mind it would end up Nintendo VS. SEGA VS. Namco-Bandai VS. Square-Enix VS. Capcom VS. Ubisoft VS. Rareware VS. Activision VS. EA (just to beat the heck out of dem stupid MySims) VS. PlayStation Peoples.
I can imagine a massive fight between Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Sora, MegaMan, Rayman, Spyro, and Crash.

Hey, one day there may be a game with all those characters. (not part of Smash or anything, it's own series/game) but I doubt we'll ever see all of those characters fighting each-other at once.

I personally think it would be awesome though.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can imagine a massive fight between Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Sora, MegaMan, Rayman, Spyro, and Crash.

Hey, one day there may be a game with all those characters. (not part of Smash or anything, it's own series/game) but I doubt we'll ever see all of those characters fighting each-other at once.
M.U.G.E.N.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341

I personally think it would be awesome though.
Sora wouldn't represent Square Enix. Cloud or someone else would do. Since Spyro and Crash are third parties now, who's closely to being Sony's mascot? The cat? Nathan Drake? And you forgot a Konami rep, like Snake/Simon/Goemon.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Once they appear on the console as playable, they become video game characters. :troll:

But seriously, did you forget about the DBZ fighting games? There's some that only use anime characters.
I'm not familiar with Dragon Ball. At all. I just know about some of the popular memes.(over 9000, kamehameha etc)

but yeah, I know there are games like that though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sora wouldn't represent Square Enix. Cloud or someone else would do. Since Spyro and Crash are third parties now, who's closely to being Sony's mascot? The cat? Nathan Drake? And you forgot a Konami rep, like Snake/Simon/Goemon.
Meh, that's just me for liking KH so much.

I meant to put Snake there, but I was going to list him earlier, then forgot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not familiar with Dragon Ball. At all. I just know about some of the popular memes.(over 9000, kamehameha etc)

but yeah, I know there are games like that though.
Well, there was the Cartoon Network Fighting game. It's pretty much all non-video game characters, and a full crossover.

I doubt we'll see a non-video game character-based crossover with tons of completely different companies.(where they aren't even on the same network like CN)

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Once they appear on the console as playable, they become video game characters. :troll:

But seriously, did you forget about the DBZ fighting games? There's some that only use anime characters.
Speaking of DBZ fighting games there was one of DBZ fighting game that I have that I downright hated because it had bad controls. I sold it. It was for the gamecube and I really can't remember the title. I also remember watching a video about it on youtube sharing with me that yeah this DBZ fighting game had very bad controls. I believe it was the DBZ fighting game that used 3D mechanics. Crap I can't remember the name all I do remember is I really hated the controls for it.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Well, there was the Cartoon Network Fighting game. It's pretty much all non-video game characters, and a full crossover.

I doubt we'll see a non-video game character-based crossover with tons of completely different companies.(where they aren't even on the same network like CN)
Eh, I think he was reffering to a game where each mascot of each videogame company would participate without any non-videogame characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom