• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It would be cool to see another retro character to complement G&W.

I'm sure we'll get a new retro guy in there this time. We had Mr. Game & Watch, the R.O.B., I'm sure there's somebody Sakurai has up his sleeve. There's plenty of stuff to choose from for sure.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I happen to see ROB and Mr. Game & Watch more as "hardware reps". So going by that, I suppose Wii Fit Trainer is our new hardware rep. :p

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's not a good idea to stress too much over cuts. Remember that every character will feel and play differently in the new game; your current main might not even suit you well in the new game. Like Brawl G&W is a nearly perfect character for me, but even if G&W returns in smash 4 (I consider it pretty likely but not quite guaranteed), how can I know he won't be changed in ways that make him a worse character for me? Just reverting turtle to that horrible thing it was in Melee alone, even if he was buffed in other ways, would really destroy a lot of what I love in this character. What if he's just horribly bottom tier and not playable in any meaningful way (fitting that Captain Falcon is being discussed here)? I have no way to know any of this. What I do know is that I'm already very interested in the playstyles of two of the newcomers (Mega Man and the Villager) and that even without newcomers I like enough of what encompasses smash character design that I could easily find someone from the cast of Brawl no matter how the field was tweaked.

I'm sure all of you are the same way. If your current favorite gets cut, you'll complain about it for a while, actually pick up the game, and discover someone else that works great for you. Most of you will drop your current main for the new game even if your current main does return anyway; just looking at the icons, I can see how few of you play the same character in Melee and Brawl so why would the new game be different?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
pretty much yeah

I say this all the time and I'll say it again, I'd rather be surprised with new content that I end up liking than just having my personal desires met

That's kind of the reason I fell in love with Melee in the first place, it was just so different from what I was used to and I loved that about it

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I happen to see ROB and Mr. Game & Watch more as "hardware reps". So going by that, I suppose Wii Fit Trainer is our new hardware rep. :p
Duck Hunt Dog can work as a hardware rep too... the NES Zapper. :awesome:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I never fully understood the "we can't give it a viable moveset" argument. Of course we can. We can just make the moves up to fill in the blanks.

Wasn't Captain Falcon all blanks?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never fully understood the "we can't give it a viable moveset" argument. Of course we can. We can just make the moves up to fill in the blanks.

Bingo.

Sakurai's proven he can take just about anything and give it a viable moveset.

A race car driver who never leaves his car.
A robot toy peripheral.
A 2D handheld gaming icon that predates Mario.
Two eskimos that one of the only goals in their game is to climb up.
A yoga instructor from a fitness game.
A peaceful villager whose primary goal is to get through life.

The man's a ****ing genius. I'd just love to sit in a room with him and toss Nintendo characters at him all day just to see his mind at work.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Bingo.

A robot toy peripheral.

The man's a ****ing genius. I'd just love to sit in a room with him and toss Nintendo characters at him all day just to see his mind at work.
Hell, even then, you could look in most of those characters games (besides the Captain considering you can't really make a moveset out of driving) and come up with at least a couple moves.

I really want to know what he would do for Majora's Mask Link; there's a lot of potential there. Moveset's obviously not an issue for this Link but the mechanics behind it could be.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah Fox didn't exactly a whole lot to draw from in his games either, yet he's one of the best characters in the game

It's not about just how much is already there, it's what you do with it (pause lol)

Reznor

work in progress
Bingo.

A robot toy peripheral.

you forgot Fox :urg:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh yes Fox is another great example of his mind at work.

You often forget that Fox and Falcon don't leave their vehicles much (if at all in Falcon's case) in his games, because so much of them in Modern Day gamer's eyes comes from what Sakurai did with them in Smash Brothers. I'd wager he even made Captain Falcon a much much much more popular character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's certainly true, but a few of the characters in Smash have quite the fanbase before hand. Guys like Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, Snake, Mega Man, Sonic, Link (though most idiots probably go ''OH LOOK IT'S ZELDA!") etc have a huge collective following prior to Smash.

But the man has done wonders for some of the characters who the general populace probably never see outside of a Smash Brothers game.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman

Except for his specials, which were just wapanese power ranger ****

everything else though, they had to really think about

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I wouldn't even know who half the characters are in the roster is if it wasn't for Sakurai
Same for me. XD
SSB 64 introduced me to Star Fox, Metroid, Mother, and F-Zero.

I remember thinking Captain Falcon was similar, or related to Captain America or some Marvel heroes.

Lol I have that friend that always calls Samus "Metroid"
I knew two brothers back in 2005 who had Metroid Fusion for GBA. They let me play it for a while. Even though I'd never played a Metroid game before, I knew her name was Samus. I got into an argument with them, because they still thought her name was Metroid despite owning a Metroid game...

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Same for me. XD
SSB 64 introduced me to Star Fox, Metroid, Mother, and F-Zero.

I remember thinking Captain Falcon was similar, or related to Captain America or some Marvel heroes.

I knew two brothers back in 2005 who had Metroid Fusion for GBA. They let me play it for a while. Even though I'd never played a Metroid game before, I knew her name was Samus. I got into an argument with them, because they still thought her name was Metroid despite owning a Metroid game...
first time i saw samus, i could've sworn she was a robot with no name.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
What am I Snake!?
I remember chuckling at a couple of these codecs the first time I heard them.
I just wish CF's focused more on Falcon himself, and not just some dumb internet joke that sprouted after his inclusion to Smash Bros.
Kinda sucks when the devs treat your favorite character as nothing more than a 4chan reference.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
What am I Snake!?
"Mmmmm, that's damn good!" *Hayter voice*

---

...Does anyone want Masterpieces to return in SSB4?
What do you guys think of the ones in Brawl?

I thought they were awesome, but including the entire games on the disk took up some space.

I understand why the FE1 trial was Japan only, since it would've taken up extra time to translate the game.
But I honestly don't understand why the Earthbound trial wasn't in the Western versions.

---

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
View attachment 1542
G&W is pretty unique and he stands out from the crowd, so there's not much to worry about. I can't believe there was that rumor that said he would be cut in Brawl.

----

People were saying Pokemon Trainer (red) was in that pic, yet I don't see him. :(

-

Anyways, regarding ROB.

He's certainly unique. He's really retro, and he was by far the easiest character to pick up for me in Brawl.

... But facing the truth, the only reason I decided to make him my main back then was because he was the closest representative to my favorite Nintendo game.

I mean... all I had to do was make his color scheme BLUE (like I always did) and...

BAM! He's my piracy-detecting robotic co-pilot, NAV-COM from StarTropics, out to get some blood.

(But I decided to stop lying to myself and main an actual videogame character, thus I stuck with Samus and Sonic).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
...Does anyone want Masterpieces to return in SSB4?
What do you guys think of the ones in Brawl?
No. Masterpiece was sloppily done imo. You can't even do a lap in the F-Zero game.
I would rather them allow discounted prices for franchises featured in Smash on the eShop.
Waste of space on the disk. I would rather have 1min character vid bios similar to this:

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Masterpieces were stupid because they were timed.
If they were handled like actual demos, AKA just have it cut off at a certain point on a level, it would've been better.
Instead of making it feel like you're speedrunning a game you probably haven't played before.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Masterpieces took up a very tiny amount of data on the disk, lol.

They were a very meh idea though. I even forgot that they existed until they were brought up now.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Masterpieces took up a very tiny amount of data on the disk, lol.

They were a very meh idea though. I even forgot that they existed until they were brought up now.
Even though it was a tiny amount, I still consider it was still a waste space.
Even you said it yourself it is pretty forgettable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
30 seconds for F-Zero and Donkey Kong was ridiculous. As was 40 for Ice Climber.

I wouldn't want them to return, personally, especially if the time limit exists.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Masterpieces shouldn't have been in the game to begin with. Along with taking photos of stickers. :facepalm:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would have been okay with masterpieces if they weren't demos even though the full games were on the disc iirc.

Reznor

work in progress
30 seconds for F-Zero and Donkey Kong was ridiculous. As was 40 for Ice Climber.

I wouldn't want them to return, personally, especially if the time limit exists.
30 seconds playing F-Zero is enough time to die at least 15 times :awesome:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Still hoping for a futuristic Zelda. Surely if we can be in Hyrule's past, and present, we can go into it's future too.

But I know this is nothing but a mere pipe dream.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Still hoping for a futuristic Zelda. Surely if we can be in Hyrule's past, and present, we can go into it's future too.

But I know this is nothing but a mere pipe dream.
Star Wars type future? or more of a present day setting? idk Zelda has always seemed more of a Medieval setting type of game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom