• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If you have to edit it at all then there were aspects of it that were crap. And depending how much you change and who you talk to it then becomes your art. Haahahah this loser is clueless

I have brought shame to my clan. And am a disgrace.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong 64 felt too much like Jet Force Gemini to me, and banjo kazooie for that matter

All Rare games on the 64 had very similar feeling
My problem with Donkey Kong 64 is that the game is too large.
About half of the game is really fun, and all the other stuff feels like a chore.
They simply made the game huge to make the game huge. It should've been smaller and more focused.

I did love the game though, the bossfights and music were particularly great.

I think Banjo Tooie is the best out of all the "collectathon" platformers though. It got it all just right.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Gargaglione
I can agree that there is too much junk stuff to do. A lot of the mini-games were just there to be there. Still, when that game was on a roll, it was on a roll. The bosses, music, and locations were all pretty neat. I just wished it didn't rely so much on collecting and gimmicks, and instead on cool and fundamental platforming. I also wish we got more 2D stuff; it would be cool to say in the middle of the game have a 2D and 3D mine cart level (perhaps do it in a sequel=???). While I'm talking about mine levels, I just wish we had more mine levels in general, because those levels were mad fun.

I also wish you could replay everything (although you could replay a lot of stuff).
Donkey Kong 64 felt too much like Jet Force Gemini to me, and banjo kazooie for that matter

All Rare games on the 64 had very similar feeling
control-wise you are right, but honestly, they all played completely different.

They have also aged differently. Jet Force Gemini has aged pretty well, Donkey Kong 64 has aged decently, and Banjo-Kazooie doesn't feel like it has aged at all. Jet Force Gemini also influenced and helped start a third person shooter trend that started on the PC in the 6th Generation of gaming, and went full force on consoles in the 7th Generation of gaming. Speaking of which, why hasn't Microsoft revived that IP=??? It's a lot easier to revive than Perfect Dark.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
@ Gargaglione
I can agree that there is too much junk stuff to do. A lot of the mini-games were just there to be there. Still, when that game was on a roll, it was on a roll. The bosses, music, and locations were all pretty neat. I just wished it didn't rely so much on collecting and gimmicks, and instead on cool and fundamental platforming. I also wish we got more 2D stuff; it would be cool to say in the middle of the game have a 2D and 3D mine cart level (perhaps do it in a sequel=???). While I'm talking about mine levels, I just wish we had more mine levels in general, because those levels were mad fun.

I also wish you could replay everything (although you could replay a lot of stuff).

control-wise you are right, but honestly, they all played completely different.

They have also aged differently. Jet Force Gemini has aged pretty well, Donkey Kong 64 has aged decently, and Banjo-Kazooie doesn't feel like it has aged at all. Jet Force Gemini also influenced and helped start a third person shooter trend that started on the PC in the 6th Generation of gaming, and went full force on consoles in the 7th Generation of gaming. Speaking of which, why hasn't Microsoft revived that IP=??? It's a lot easier to revive than Perfect Dark.
Because Perfect Dark is a lot more popular and commercially viable, and Rare is owned by Microsoft, who's all about da $$$

And yea, a 3D DK with 2D segments, a la Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be cool

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Because Perfect Dark is a lot more popular and commercially viable, and Rare is owned by Microsoft, who's all about da $$$
I dunno, I thought Perfect Dark Zero's sales (and as a whole) was lackluster, which is why Microsoft won't bring it back until they ruin enough other Rare franchise (they already did that with Banjo; next up is Killer Instinct). Perfect Dark's sequel would inevitably deal with a crowded FPS landscape, would get buried under the Halo's, Call of Duty's, Counter-Strike's, Battlefield's, and Medal of Honor's of the world. Plus, again, Perfect Dark is hard to top, and the original has aged too nicely to be easily topped by the kinds of efforts that Microsoft puts into their first party non-Kinect games that are not named Halo.

Perfect Dark is a game that is hard to top; Jet Force Gemini, meanwhile, isn't, since there's a lot of potential for growth. A game as action-y and colorful as a Jet Force Gemini would automatically stand out and gather a lot of attention, especially if it keeps the fast-paced action that made the original so great.
And yea, a 3D DK with 2D segments, a la Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be cool
Especially a high flying, fast paced, non stop action mine cart level.

Also, I gotta love how DKC: Tropical Freeze uses a 3D camera to change the angle of the 2D gameplay. Stuff like that is always awesome in 2D games.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread has turned entirely into spam and conversation is having absolutely no relevance to the topic whatsoever

There are plenty of other boards to talk about music, games, food, videos, etc.

Everybody needs to read the Forum Rules, as multiple offenses are going on here daily and it's far too much of a hassle for the staff to manage.

Making threads about this thread being locked is considered spam - this thread will be unlocked tomorrow so use appropriate threads for your discussion in the mean time and do not attempt to create additional "social threads."

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
The intent for a social thread is a place for users to socialize, but more specifically a place for users to post thoughts or discussions that aren't really worthy of their own threads yet still belong in sub-forum that they are in. Posting about your favorite anime, for instance, is something that belong in the Media Metropolis forum as that is part of the intent of that sub-forum. What's important to note is that the thread topic - which in our case is Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) - which is to be understood and kept in mind while posting. Thus, discussion should at least attempt to be somewhat relevant at all times. Social threads give users the freedom to post their thoughts or share opinions/facts about the game or community without the need of creating overly specific threads or posting off-topic in existing threads. Bear in mind that social threads are very lenient, being off-topic is commonplace and not heavily frowned upon. However, users are taking it above and beyond and creating posts that are decaying down to the level of being malicious and/or spam. Hopefully, this will start to settle down now.

The thread is now being unlocked. If further issues arise, the thread will be locked for longer durations or be closed entirely. Please do your best to make meaningful posts and help the Smashboards be a great community for everybody.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Right.

And I hope you show the same due diligence to all of the OTHER social threads on this forum. I mean, you did a great job regulating the Melee social Thanks a bunch!

Smooth Criminal

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I am only responsible for this one and melee after all~ Embarrass

I think Chibi-robo is a more viable candidate for being a newcomer due to a new chibi-robo game happening on the 3ds. It seems that it might be japan-only however, so we might be limited to a chibi-robo stage on the 3ds version of smash

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want to get a Wii U just for SSB4.

The problem is... everything the Wii U has that interest me, the 3DS has it too (including SSB4). Plus, 3DS has Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Shinobi 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, Project X Zone.

Holy hell.. 3DS software lineup is insanely better than the Wii U's. -_-

But the controls for the 3DS Smash kind of worry me. I feel I won't have the commodity of C-sticking, to name one example.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341

I think Chibi-robo is a more viable candidate for being a newcomer due to a new chibi-robo game happening on the 3ds. It seems that it might be japan-only however, so we might be limited to a chibi-robo stage on the 3ds version of smash
Isn't it too late for it? I mean Sakurai said the roster was finished and was not taking considerations before the announcing of the new Chibi Robo game.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I want to get a Wii U just for SSB4.

The problem is... everything the Wii U has that interest me, the 3DS has it too (including SSB4). Plus, 3DS has Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Shinobi 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, Project X Zone.

Holy hell.. 3DS software lineup is insanely better than the Wii U's. -_-

But the controls for the 3DS Smash kind of worry me. I feel I won't have the commodity of C-sticking, to name one example.
To be fair, the 3DS has been available since Feb/March 2011 while the Wii U since Nov/Dec 2012 so the 3DS has one year+ of advantage. :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isn't it too late for it? I mean Sakurai said the roster was finished and was not taking considerations before the announcing of the new Chibi Robo game.

Sakurai works for Nintendo. He can always be in the know of what's coming out ahead of time in case he wants to look at a certain character in that game as a viable member of the roster.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Of course the big question is which thread throws the better parties?

Personally I'm not even sure if we'll get a stage from that sereis either since we already have the Nintendogs stage.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Sakurai works for Nintendo. He can always be in the know of what's coming out ahead of time in case he wants to look at a certain in that game as a viable member of the roster.
Ahh I see. That's great for Chibi Robo I guess. It would be neat to see him/it. That also gives me hope for Wonder Red.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It seems that it might be japan-only however, so we might be limited to a chibi-robo stage on the 3ds version of smash
:roymelee: says hello.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Lucas was also japan-only, which is why I said "might"

considering the original chibi-robo was ported here, as well

Also, chibi-robo could be the new R.O.B.? :(

(I don't wanna see R.O.B. go, but I think he's one of the more likely to be cut)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think R.O.B. is pretty safe. Don't know why people have that strange obsession with him being cut.

Toon Link, Falco or Wolf, Lucario perhaps to be replaced, Ike perhaps to be replaced, those are probably the danger zone areas.

Though Sakurai did say he's yet to have made any cuts to the Roster, so we'll see. I just think R.O.B. is pretty much in the safe zone.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I think R.O.B. is pretty safe. Don't know why people have that strange obsession with him being cut.

Toon Link, Falco or Wolf, Lucario perhaps to be replaced, Ike perhaps to be replaced, those are probably the danger zone areas.

Though Sakurai did say he's yet to have made any cuts to the Roster, so we'll see. I just think R.O.B. is pretty much in the safe zone.
I doubt Falco will go. I see him as the "Luigi" of StarFox.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If anything Falco's still more than clone than Wolf.
Wolf's hardly a clone at all. The only move that functions similarly to Fox is the reflector; all the others have VERY different effects, aesthetically and in functionality.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think Mex is talking more along the lines of Falco's significance to the series, but I agree with your sentiment on him being more of a clone than Wolf any day.

And I actually dislike ROB's inclusion in Brawl a lot, but even I can't deny his historical significance to the Nintendo brand.

Smooth Criminal

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
ROB's one of my favorite characters in Brawl. I would be disappointed by his removal/

We should post pictures of turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom