• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I think it's really silly how Team Meat says "We'll consider making games for Nintendo's consoles if they have Meat Boy in Smash Bros."

Uhm, excuse me, but Nintendo is in no way obligated to cater to your needs. There are far more better candidates than Meat Boy that deserve a spot. Heck, I wasn't a big fan of Snake being in Smash Bros. after I found out that Kojima had no plans to release an original MGS title for Nintendo's recent consoles. He got free advertisement and representation out of it. Bomberman and even Megaman deserved that spot more than Snake. But I guess because Kojima "begged" Sakurai, Snake just had to be in. If Snake returns, please, Namco, fix his broken hit box. This goes for the others too, but please, Snake first :3

Anyhow, I'd love to see Bayonetta and even the main character from "The Wonderful 101" show up. He's no Viewtiful Joe, but he's pretty damn close. And seeing him fight alongside Captain Falcon would be a treat.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Masahiro Sakurai on Brawl's online. It began with a letter to him saying,
"The other day, I had my first run at Smash Bros. Brawl online play. What I found was that nobody ever went on the attack; it was like everyone was taking the approach of waiting for the other guy to take the offensive. There were no items, either. I wanted to shout at them 'This isn't how you do Smash Bros.'! As the producer, what do you think of fights like this?"
Sakurai replied:
"The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked. I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We've learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible.

Of course, I suppose the fact that we've still got no-fee online battles available in a game that was released five years ago is another cause of the problem. It would have been nice if we could have revised the game rules as appropriate, but with the system we had, that wasn't possible."

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
blazblue negative warnings? bringing back the score chart? (the one with stale moves. -2000)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't believe making the game faster would actually change what people choose as far as playstyle. You need to actually do things with the game to steer people away from less favorable playstyles such as spamming and avoiding the actual match. Of course stale moves, with all of its drawbacks, does steer people away from the old "Sit across the stage and spam B" strategy. But I'm not sure what could actually be done to deal with people who avoid being in the actual fight. If I had to think of something it would be some kind of negative effect that actually causes characters to be more vulnerable (not as in tripping or something ridiculous like that) if they are going to hide on the other side of NPC.

I personally never cared a lot about the score thing after matches, but I imagine there are plenty of people that do/did, so that could also help.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Negative warnings, counter system, and move dependent shield and hitstun.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I also mentioned once upon a time an infinite avoidance system similar to PASBR or Skullgirls would probably work in Smash to end wall infinities and the like.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Some other things to help prevent would be to not be able to grab airborne opponents or characters in hitstun or blockstun.

D

Deleted member

I also mentioned once upon a time an infinite avoidance system similar to PASBR or Skullgirls would probably work in Smash to end wall infinities and the like.
Not sure what the mechanics in All Stars are like... Mind explaining?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the new Air Dodge mechanic NEEDS to go? It's OP. You can avoid 80% of aerial situation with NO punishment. It takes a lot of thought out of the game, and THOROUGHLY diminishes juggle/combo potential. I mean, the Melee one wasn't the best, but it was much better than the Brawl one...

So, what should the new Air Dodge be like?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not sure what the mechanics in All Stars are like... Mind explaining?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the new Air Dodge mechanic NEEDS to go? It's OP. You can avoid 80% of aerial situation with NO punishment. It takes a lot of thought out of the game, and THOROUGHLY diminishes juggle/combo potential. I mean, the Melee one wasn't the best, but it was much better than the Brawl one...

So, what should the new Air Dodge be like?
Perhaps make the Air Dodge less spammable. Melee had the problem of putting you helpless, while Brawl's was kind of spammable, making it OP.

They should keep Brawl's Air Dodge but add a small cooldown between each dodge.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps make the Air Dodge less spammable. Melee had the problem of putting you helpless, while Brawl's was kind of spammable, making it OP.

They should keep Brawl's Air Dodge but add a small cooldown between each dodge.
How about Melee's dodge without going into recovery move? That way you can still attack after dodging. Just have it so you can only Air Dodge once before hitting the ground again.

I didn't like how Brawl's dodge could just phase through everything, and it was a free pass right before hitting the ground, that was it's MOST annoying feature.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about Melee's dodge without going into recovery move? That way you can still attack after dodging. Just have it so you can only Air Dodge once before hitting the ground again.

I didn't like how Brawl's dodge could just phase through everything, and it was a free pass right before hitting the ground, that was it's MOST annoying feature.
Not a bad idea at all. Only one dodge per jump, yet able to follow the dodge with an aerial or special move... it sounds good. It's also more balanced.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I didn't mind the way Brawl treated air dodging, mainly because you didn't go into a helpless state. Meaning there is less risk of dodging over a pit and helplessly self destructing.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
The air dodging in Brawl was fine in my opinion. MOST characters have to be careful when air dodging off the stage, because their recovery options are dependent on their position toward the ledge. Take Marth, for example. If you attempt to gimp him, if he air dodges, he can likely be put in a bad position and cannot recover. If he doesn't air dodge, he'll get hit. Now, I know that this doesn't apply to ALL characters, such as Pit, Kirby, DeDeDe, Meta Knight, and some others, but for the most part, I believe that air dodging in Brawl was done quite well. There are still risks involved, even if you can air dodge multiple times. It's up to the opponent to bait the air dodge and punish it, that's all.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. Air Dodging in Brawl removed a lot of the tension when you were in mid air. If you Air Dodged as you were about to hit the ground you'd dodge 99% of whatever is thrown at you by your opponent. Up Smashes were no longer as lethal as they used to be, because rather than trying to time your attacks as you descended, you'd just Air Dodge and get off scott free.

I remember this was the one thing my and my friends always complained about. The Air Dodges in Brawl are OP. I understand that the Melee one's had a lot of negative qualities, but between the two the Melee ones were superior because they weren't completely broken. I think that making it so that you don't go into recovery mode with the Melee ones is a great solution. That way it's more mind-games oriented rather than a free pass. You can use AD's to stop your aerial momentum and set up a counter attack.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Not a bad idea.

Me gusta.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
not to mention this melee air dodge will help me greatly when im directly under the cliff of final destination. i use that air dodge with directional input then up B so i dont parasol into the bottom of the stage.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In a form of compromise, would everyone be okay with something that mixes the style of Brawl and Melee. Like a faster Brawl with the ******** stuff removed to get a sense of balance.

D

Deleted member

In a form of compromise, would everyone be okay with something that mixes the style of Brawl and Melee. Like a faster Brawl with the ******** stuff removed to get a sense of balance.
I think I'd prefer something completely new to be honest. As long as it works and is well-balanced.

Slower gameplay isn't a bad thing if done right, look at Street Fighter 4 for example. But the game needs to be well thought in regard to how they're gonna make it play, rather than toss in a bunch of things for the same it. Like with footstool jumps, thethering and tripping, that was just plain dumb...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
not to mention this melee air dodge will help me greatly when im directly under the cliff of final destination. i use that air dodge with directional input then up B so i dont parasol into the bottom of the stage.
If someone put you down there and keeps you down there then they deserve the KO.

D

Deleted member

Well, your wish will sort of come true. Toei is looking to do an international release for the new Sailor Moon by the summer.
I was referring to the 1992 series. Still, I'm very excited for the remake and do intend on getting it.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I think it would be pretty neat if Smash 4 had a simple cheat code that could unlock every stage and character, that way people wouldn't have to spend their time getting their copy ready for tournament play and it would also mean people wouldn't have to spend their money on a game shark.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But if you just bypassed everything, you'd not see the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" messages, and that would be quite the disappointment.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think it would be pretty neat if Smash 4 had a simple cheat code that could unlock every stage and character, that way people wouldn't have to spend their time getting their copy ready for tournament play and it would also mean people wouldn't have to spend their money on a game shark.
Oh come on. Don't be so lazy. :/

It is very much possible to quickly unlock all characters in VS. mode. Choose a small stage, preferably with walk-offs, start a 1 stock match, and keep dying. :p

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
I agree with Habanero. I would really miss that Challenger Approaching screen. Also, even if you are a tournament player, you should at least play the game the way the developers intended to unlock the characters and whatnot. I guess that's just my personal opinion, anyway.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
After looking up what the Challenger Approaching screens look like (because I'm practically senile), I'd have to say 64's is the best imo. Melee's is too busy for my taste and Brawl's doesn't even match the game's menu style like the other two do, lol.

The Challenger Alarm in Melee was my favorite though. Brawl's feels less urgent than Melee's and 64's is just the sound clip from 1P mode.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I liked the one from 64 the most as well. I'd like it if they made another challenger approached screen like Smash 64 again.

And they should definitely keep the unlocking criteria for characters and stages. It just wouldn't be the same without it imo. I think that's partly why they had done the SSE anyway's. For those who wanted all the characters quickly could just speed through the adventure mode and you could get them all in about a day or two.

oniJohn

Smash Rookie
I liked how smash 64 had a sound style in accordance with his graphic style.
The punches had never seemed has punchy in melee and brawl than in 64. It was like all the sounds were saying "fun"!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just thought of this idea: when you run into a Warning! Challenger Approaching screen on the 3DS version, the silhouette should zoom towards you and let the 3D effects blast in your face. I hope that happens.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Oh come on. Don't be so lazy. :/

It is very much possible to quickly unlock all characters in VS. mode. Choose a small stage, preferably with walk-offs, start a 1 stock match, and keep dying. :p
I myself will try to unlock all the characters the old fashion way but it would still be pretty convenient for some TO who wants to bring several set ups to his/her tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom