• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He flat out stated that there would be some characters not returning in Brawl from Melee early in development.
Obviously he wouldn't state who would not return, but if he's saying now that there had been no cuts so far, that's a frigging good sign.

If characters will be cut, he will flat out say there will be cuts and apologize ahead of time.
While it's too early to believe that there will be no cuts whatsoever, since we've still got a ways to go, it is still good news.
He did apologize in advance for possibly cutting characters.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79868/smash-bros-director-apologizes-in-advance-for-cut-characters

D

Deleted member

Except at that point, he's not the one interviewing Sakurai.
Sakurai is practically interviewing him.

Sakurai asked him what he wanted to see, not what he thinks the fans want to see.
There is nothing selfish in honestly answering the direct question.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Except at that point, he's not the one interviewing Sakurai.
Sakurai is practically interviewing him.

Sakurai asked him what he wanted to see, not what he thinks the fans want to see.
There is nothing selfish in honestly answering the direct question.
It was a chance to gather information and he didn't go for it. That is all.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I agree with Golden, if I was in that interviewer's shoes and Sakurai were to ask me which characters I would want to see. I would have just straight up tell him Professor Layton and Anna. Of course people would find that a terrible idea because it doesn't cater to the masses but of course it would be my wish to see these characters. Just like the Koopalings is that interviewer's wish.

It's not like Sakurai is going to fulfill it anyway as he is apparently already struggling with the likes of the Ice Climbers anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I agree with Golden, if I was in that interviewers shoes and Sakurai were to ask me which characters I would want to see. I would just straight up told him Professor Layton and/or Anna.

Same. I'd tell who I wanted. Ridley, Waluigi, Brian, and so on. I'm not going to cater to the masses and actually be truthful. If he asks for my actual opinion, why should I lie? To please some fanboys/girls? No thanks.

I'm better than that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just noticed that Sakurai didn't say anything about changing about how he goes about balancing characters, all he said was he's going to be doing the same old process that he did with Melee/Brawl. Considering he's still looking into patches, he's definitely taking a lot of risks.
One key thing he mentioned was that there were times where they didn't muster up enough data for balancing certain characters, hence the tier gaps.

D

Deleted member

"Chance to gather information" my ass.
Based on what, hypotheticals in that Sakurai would twiddle his thumbs or twitch at the mention of a certain character?
Give me a ****ing break.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah I agree with Golden, if I was in that interviewer's shoes and Sakurai were to ask me which characters I would want to see. I would just straight up told him Professor Layton and/or Anna.
I probably would have answered with a reasonable answer if I was in that guys shoes. Instead of saying something stupid that I actually want like Lucina or Majora I would have said something reasonable that I actually want like Wolf or Mewtwo. Maybe that is just me.

I think the biggest problem people have with the interviewer is that he knowingly suggested a character that wouldn't have been possible based on the question prior about the Ice Climbers.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
"Chance to gather information" my ***.
Based on what, hypotheticals in that Sakurai would twiddle his thumbs or twitch at the mention of a certain character?
Give me a ****ing break.
He could have responded with words. Just like he responded to the Koopa horde by saying that they could not possibly be in. I don't fault the guy. But a more experienced interviewer would have tried to gather information even when the tables were turned on him. Now calm down before your stomach ulcers flair up.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
One key thing he mentioned was that there were times where they didn't muster up enough data for balancing certain characters, hence the tier gaps.
True, but from what he's said in past interviews it doesn't seem like he's changing much if anything at all and is relying on heavily on patches despite not knowing if he can even do them to begin with.

I'm nearly positive that he'll be able to do patches, but you would have thought he would have prepared and thought ahead more about a key issue that he's had multiple problems with in the past.

D

Deleted member

Telling someone to calm down "before their stomach ulcers flair up" when they aren't even angry is going to do the opposite, moron.

And pretty much anyone in that interviewer's shoes would take the opportunity to discuss their personal desire.
Experience has nothing to do with it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wish that the interviewer had phrased his sentence "the 3DS will keep the roster's volume in check" differently. As SSBF said, the 3DS has sufficient memory to carry a reasonably-sized roster without an overload of uncompressed cutscenes. All that sentence will do is send those fearful of a 39 character roster into even more of a tizzy.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Telling someone to calm down "before their stomach ulcers flair up" when they aren't even angry is going to do the opposite, moron.
Well if you are not going to stop your stress and keep your stomach ulcers from opening up, you might as well mop up the blood your coughing up on your keyboard.

D

Deleted member

I wish that the interviewer had phrased his sentence "the 3DS will keep the roster's volume in check" differently. As SSBF said, the 3DS has sufficient memory to carry a reasonably-sized roster without an overload of uncompressed cutscenes. All that sentence will do is send those fearful of a 39 character roster into even more of a tizzy.
That was another thing I noticed about the interview. When looking at it, all it really said is that we shouldn't have a ridiculous expectation for characters sizes (60+ characters, transformation included) and that was never realistic even if this game was only being developed for the Wii U. I still maintain that we will get fifty characters at least (counting transformation), especially since the part about no cuts having been made yet kind of contradict the notion of a less than forty-five character roster (again, counting transformation) people are fearing.

D

Deleted member

Well if you are not going to stop your stress and keep your stomach ulcers from opening up, you might as well mop up the blood your coughing up on your keyboard.

Must be a sad life of yours to have nothing better to do than to troll someone on the internet as a means to cope with being abused every day.

Why don't you just talk it over? It will make you feel so much better than being a worthless troll does. :smirk:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Must be a sad life of yours to have nothing better to do than to troll someone on the internet as a means to cope with being abused every day.

Why don't you just talk it over? It will make you feel so much better than being a worthless troll does. :smirk:
Awww your upset because someone disagrees with you. Try being less hostile. The world will seem a better place to you. I am going to look for a picture of a butterfly for you to appreciate.

The world is a magical place.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Soooo... About assist trophies... Will they return? I for one hope that they make some AT's into newcomers, like Lyn, Ridley, Issac, hell maybe even starfy.

Ridley WAS an AT but was turned into a boss.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Soooo... About assist trophies... Will they return? I for one hope that they make some AT's into newcomers, like Lyn, Ridley, Issac, hell maybe even starfy.
wut?

Yeah, I really hope Assist Trophies come back as well and don't see why they wouldn't. If there was anyone I'd specifically vouch for from Brawl that was an AT to become playable for SSB4 it'd be Issac.

I'm going by the final product of Brawl, not anything that was planned but changed before the release.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm fairly sure the Assist Trophies will return. Protoman would be amazing as one.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
But a more experienced interviewer would have tried to gather information even when the tables were turned on him.
So basically to be a good reporter you need to be a traitorous and dishonest scumbag?
What has journalism in our country world devolved to?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

You are a smart person. That is all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I doubt Lyn and Starfy, but the rest would be great. Including Waluigi and Samurai Goroh.

Ridley WAS an AT but was turned into a boss.
And what a boss fight he was. :awesome:

@GY: Don't respond to the troll. Ignore and/or report.

Morbi

Scavenger
So basically to be a good reporter you need to be a traitorous and dishonest scumbag?
That is the point of the interview. To report new information. If you read a lot of interview you would notice that the reporter usually asks questions that are off limits anyways. They usually get a typical response like, "we aren't releasing any details regarding that as of yet". It isn't being traitorous or dishonest. It is doing your job.

The expression, "it can't hurt to try" comes to mind. Attempting to fish for any new information will eventually give you hits on your website or whatever. Journalism has always been about this. It hasn't devolved. I guess it hasn't really evolved either. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps he could have asked for a character he likes who was also very popularly requested as well. But oh well.... Whats done is done. Sakurai would have probably just let it slide anyway, even if they are actually working on that character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps he could have asked for a character he likes who was also very popularly requested as well. But oh well.... Whats done is done. Sakurai would have probably just let it slide anyway, even if they are actually working on that character.
He probably could have just rephrased his question to, "Keeping in mind the difficulties we JUST discussed, what Nintendo character would you like to make an appearance?" or something to that effect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Perhaps he could have asked for a character he likes who was also very popularly requested as well. But oh well....

Yeah.

But when asked who he wants? No reason to do anything but tell the truth. I'm sure Sakurai appreciates that far more than saying the obvious "everybody wants them anyway" choices. It's not like he doesn't know tons want Ridley, or Toad. Etc.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Traitorous and dishonest? That's putting a bit much on it, isn't buddy? Bowserlick isn't saying he should say a character he doesn't want just to make some fans happy. He's saying he could've said a character that he did want that a sizable amount of the dedicated smash fan base also wants. Like here Rich says he wants Ridley http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/05/28/what-we-want-in-a-new-smash-bros?page=2. If he would've said Ridley to sakurai how would that have been traitorous or dishonest? I'm not saying he should've said someone more popular just that Bowserlick isn't wrong in wanting him too.

VVV To be honest I would but I know I'm in the minority.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah.

But when asked who he wants? No reason to do anything but tell the truth. I'm sure Sakurai appreciates that far more than saying the obvious "everybody wants them anyway" choices. It's not like he doesn't know tons want Ridley, or Toad. Etc.

Indeed, he was asked what he wanted. It's not like you would make a Christmas wishlist to Santa and ask for presents your brothers and sisters want now would you? Same deal here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Indeed, he was asked what he wanted. It's not like you would make Christmas wishlist to Santa and ask for presents your brothers and sisters want now would you? Same deal here.
Exactly. He's speaking for himself, not for others. Now, if the question was asked in a way that wanted what the majority thought, sure, say guys like Ridley.

But hey, that wasn't the question, now was it? Honestly, I'm proud of this guy for being honest and a true interviewer. He did the right thing, and was true to himself.

Morbi

Scavenger
Indeed, he was asked what he wanted. It's not like you would make Christmas wishlist to Santa and ask for presents your brothers and sisters want now would you? Same deal here.
There is a difference between requesting someone reasonable that you want that doesn't show that you blatantly disregarded the interview you just had, and requesting someone you want that has no chance.

My example. I want Majora and Mewtwo. Instead of requesting Majora who is not a very reasonable character, I would instead request Mewtwo. I want both. However, I would intentionally pick the one that actually has a chance. It wouldn't be lying and I wouldn't be picking my choice based on what other people want. I would simply pick the one that has a chance. I would pick the one that might spark a discussion.

Not only that, but he picked a character that demonstrates that he wasn't he even listening to Sakurai. If Ice Climbers were giving him difficulties why the hell wouldn't 7 Koopas? Not to mention if the interviewer was competent he would realize that would entail 28 models on screen at once. Yeah... that is practical.

It is practical vs unreasonable. He chose to pick an unreasonable character over a more practical one.

Edit- In fact I think the interviewer was just joking with Sakurai given how ridiculous the request was. I mean I literally think he was trying to be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom