• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hrm. YOU KNOW, I usually think it's silly when STARPHOENIX for example cries about the 3DS version, but hearing that Sakurai is doing trial and error to try and figure out what sort of personalized experience works best for that version... is a little disheartening. I still trust he'll figure out something worthwhile, but man, usually Sakurai knows what he wants to do from the beginning.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So this article basically confirms the return of Ice Climbers?

No. He said he had difficulty with them.

He didn't mention who was finished/also worked on at all.

It really only tells us that he'll try not to cut anyone, and those he worked on weren't cut thusfar.

And so far, the only characters we know of are those already announced.

In other words? It doesn't confirm jack.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Miss Fit will probably be doing stretches instead.

I'm looking at the trailer and one thing has always bugged me about his Boozer Dropkick. We've seen that his FTilt and DTilt are still intact so the input is on neither. It doesn't look like a Smash attack either as the white spark doesn't appear. I think there are a few possibilities for this:

1. We may be getting angle inputs for more than just angled FTilts and FSmashes
2. We might be looking at possibly a new attack button - Please let this be true!
Four new attacks? At least one new special move, perhaps?

That's something I'd love to see. Clones and semi-clones could be given entirely original attacks in those extra "slots", while still retaining old clone-like moves.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

It really only tells us that he'll try not to cut anyone, and those he worked on weren't cut thusfar.

I dunno tho, it'd be pretty wierd if ICs won't return if 3DS poses problems to them...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
though no characters have been cut so far
Good news indeed! Hopefully this shuts up all those morons who keep insisting that Spirit Tracks Link being a part of a stage = Wind Waker Toon Link is 100% cut. Who am I kidding? Of course it doesn't. If Toon Link does get cut, it will most likely be due to time constraints or because he got replaced by another Zelda character. (Most likely Young Link or Classic Link I'd say.)

I hope Sakurai tries his best to bring back everyone from Brawl.

D

Deleted member

"No characters had been cut so far".
Good news.
I was just about to post this article and noted that this had been said. I have a feeling Sakurai is referring to Brawl and Melee veterans in regards to this, especially after this. Could it be that he's planning on bringing everyone from the past three games back one way or another but will eventually have to cut some of them? And when he does have to cut, who will it be and will they be brought back as DLC?

If my interpretation is correct, then I think this means Snake and Sonic are coming back and it looks like we'll be getting four third-parties after all (Mega Man, Snake, Sonic and Pac-Man). I also think this means Toon Link is coming back as well since I see no situation in which we don't get two Links. Though ironically enough, this is actually making me more nervous about Ike and Lucario since if any Brawl veterans are getting cut due to time constraints, it's them, but at least it shows that they wouldn't get cut for BS reasons like "not recent" or "over-representation".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno tho, it'd be pretty wierd if ICs won't return if 3DS poses problems to them...
I still doubt they'll be cut, mind you.

But we just plain don't know who'll make it or who won't. *shrugs*

Either way, no characters were realistically confirmed or thrown out with this information.

Morbi

Scavenger

In my perfect little world it confirms that he is having troubles with the Ice Climbers so they are on the top of the cut list. If someone HAD to be cut I would want it to be one of the retro characters. Just my opinion of course. :p

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Well we can't really rely on Sakurai's statement "No characters have been cut so far" because the Spirit Track stage insinuates the exclusion of Toon Link as a character, there is a small chance where I ultimately may be incorrect though given that no solid proof(s) are provided. I think in the end Sakurai will cut at least a couple of characters, and not cutting character now doesn't really mean anything in my opinion for they will be in the future.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is sweet news for Toon Link, Lucario, Ike and Snake supporters. It means that they all are planned to return at least. :)

D

Deleted member

Well we can't really rely on Sakurai's statement "No characters have been cut so far" because the Spirit Track stage insinuates the exclusion of Toon Link as a character, there is a small chance where I ultimately may be incorrect though given that no solid proof(s) are provided. I think in the end Sakurai will cut at least a couple of characters, and not cutting character now doesn't really mean anything in my opinion for they will be in the future.
No it doesn't. If that likely deconfirms Toon Link, then we might as well say Captain Falcon was unlikely for Melee and Brawl because his Blue Falcon was in the F-zero stages.

@FalKoopa: It's good in that they're at least being planned to come back. As I said before, I'm pretty much confident in Toon Link and Snake's return at this point if he's referring to veterans here. It's also good for Lucario and Ike supporters worried that they would lose them due to "lack of recentness" and "over-representation", but this ironically enough makes me more worried abut their fate considering that if anyone gets cut due to time constraints, it's them.

Then again, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm just hoping that we get lucky enough to see everyone from Brawl return or that if that is not possible, DLC is used to bring them back.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What if the Ice Climbers were permanently attached to a short belay.

Each Ice Climber would have their own weight. When one Ice Climber is hit, they drag the other one which helps them cancel out momentum and/or contribute to DI since they are two weighted objects tied together with a flexible string.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The guy gets to answer which Nintendo character he wants to see in the game and says the Koopalings? What a waste... :facepalm:

Good to hear that no planned characters have been cut yet considering they're done taking suggestions.

Not sure what he means by not having a ranking system, but is planning a system in which you can fight with your peers in the same skill level?

Good to hear that he's realized that SSE was stale, not sure what he's planning on doing to fix that.

tldr: Sounds like Sakurai knows what needs to be fixed from Melee/Brawl, but doesn't have a real concrete idea on what to do exactly with each system.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This is sweet news for Toon Link, Lucario, Ike and Snake supporters. It means that they all are planned to return at least. :)
All I can do is go YES. All 4 are great. My Dad loved Snake in brawl when I played with my cousin, Uncle and him [he was a military dude and all] I bet he'll be happy to hear that especially.

Ike is my big yes. Lucario and Toony are also great :D

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai really should allow Wii U to have a larger roster. Part of the allure of the 3DS is

1.) Having a portable game
2.) Customizing direction of certain attacks (which essentially makes a new character)

D

Deleted member

The guy gets to answer which Nintendo character he wants to see in the game and says the Koopalings? What a waste... :facepalm:
Can't blame someone for having their own wants.
What, is he supposed to answer with someone like Ridley or Mewtwo just because of how much everyone wants them?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
The Koopalings would be interesting as a character.
Part of me wants them to be a "mob fighter", while another part wants them to be involved in a Final Smash for Bowser Jr. (airships?)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
HOLY ASTERISKS I LOVE THIS ARTICLE.

"“When we get towards the end of development, we will have what we call monitor playtests, where we watch people play the games. We perform thorough analysis based on those observations. There have been cases in the past, admittedly, where we didn't gather sufficient data for certain characters, and that resulted in certain game imbalances. Patches are something we’d definitely like to be able to do, if possible.”"

Horray! That's all I have to say about this quote.

"“At the very least, we’re thinking of maybe not implementing that sort of single-player experience like Subspace Emissary, where you play through to a conclusion and you’re rewarded with something like a movie,” Sakurai said. “We found that if you wanted to see those movies, you could just go to the internet. That sort of thing loses its appeal as a reward for the player. I can’t say concretely, but we’re thinking about removing that sort of element and coming up with a way to provide a more rewarding single-player experience in which players will be rewarded in different ways.”"

I am very please again, those rewards will be very, very interesting, and we won't have another Poopspace Buttissary. :estatic:

"In the case of improving and adjusting the game’s online functionality, Sakurai noted that Nintendo had “significantly updated” its network, forming a “good base for what we’re going to do.” Still, the creative director couldn’t get into specific implementation details, though he did note his team has no plans for any sort of world ranking system. “We don’t want to have a type of situation where you have a ranking pyramid, and only the people at the very top can enjoy it. I think there are other unique ways to be able to implement a system where people can get satisfaction out of performing at a skill level relative to their peer group.”"

Good news again, obviously, though I'm sad I won't be able to wave my Gold-league B rank E-peen around (:b:) , we will still have some form of skill based matchmaking, most likely they will also have unranked modes. Here's hoping for 1v1 stock!

"Though at a glance Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee are similar games, they couldn’t be more different in their overall feel and design, with Melee being the preference of the hardcore franchise fans and Brawl being favored because of its deep roster and options. Many fans have wondered about that discrepancy – turns out it was deliberate.
“Quite simply Melee was something that was targeted more towards hardcore, advanced players,” Sakurai told me, when I asked him to characterize his new games. “With Wii, on a platform where you were getting experiences like Wii Fit and there was an audience that tilted slightly more towards beginning players, we slowed down the gameplay. This time around, we don’t see a situation where we’ll be encountering as many beginning players, and so as far as the speed and the feel of the game, I think you could say confidently that we’re targeting something right in between those two versions.”"

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THEY MADE MELEE FAST ON PURPOSE, NOT BY ACCIDENT. WHAT. ALSO ACKNOWLEDGED THAT BRAWL WAS FAVORED BY SOME BECAUSE OF ITS VOLUME OF CONTENT.
The best way to interpret this last part is that SSB4 is confirmed beyond a doubt to play faster than Brawl, how much faster is to be determined in the future.

"My conversation with Sakurai was methodical, moving through the many, many details that make up a massive piece of software like Super Smash Bros. And while it was clear that many of these finer points have yet to be decided, which is probably why Nintendo didn’t have the game playable during E3 2013, Sakurai still talks about his projects with a decisiveness and conviction that indicates he has a larger vision that has yet to complete mature. Despite that clarity, Sakurai still takes the time to ask me questions of his own. Which Namco Bandai character would I want to include? (My reply: old school Pac-Man.) What would that character's Final Smash be? (The enemies turn into ghosts, and you pursue them around the stage to eat them.) What Nintendo character would I want added? (A mob of seven Bowser's Koopalings, which prompted Sakurai to caution the 3DS's limits with fighters like the Ice Climbers.)"

This guy has terrible taste, obviously he should have said Yoshimitsu and Anna. :surprised:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What, is he supposed to answer with someone like Ridley or Mewtwo just because of how much everyone wants them?
If he was trying to read nonverbal cues, he should prolly have thrown out something like Ridley or another popular wanted newcomer.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if he wanted DIHSO :troll:
I'd probably be laughing my ass off if he said DIHSO.
Sakurai would be like "who?". :laugh:

If he was trying to read nonverbal cues, he should prolly have thrown out something like Ridley or another popular wanted newcomer.
Sakurai said that the time for taking suggestions is over.
I'm really doubting anything the interviewer said for a character will matter.
EDIT: Except possibly the Final Smash idea for Pac-Man, if Sakurai is planning on including him.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Would anyone prefer if Toon Link had a new move-set based on items only used in WW? Things like the Deku Leaf, the Windwaker, the grapple hook and whatnot could make a very interesting moveset.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai said that the time for taking suggestions is over.
I'm really doubting anything the interviewer said for a character will matter.
EDIT: Except possibly the Final Smash idea for Pac-Man, if Sakurai is planning on including him.
Right. By saying a name of a character already in the roster or not in the roster, the interviewer could try to read Sakurai's face to determine if the guessed character did indeed make the cut.

For instance, if Ridley was stated Sakurai might have grinned from ear to ear or crinkled his nose. Plus he may have made comments.

That is way saying a more popular character that at least in somewhat plausible would have better.

Just from what Sakurai said about 3DS limitations, the Koopling horde would not be feasible.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
DO YOU HEAR THAT? THEY MADE MELEE FAST ON PURPOSE, NOT BY ACCIDENT. WHAT. ALSO ACKNOWLEDGED THAT BRAWL WAS FAVORED BY SOME BECAUSE OF ITS VOLUME OF CONTENT.
The best way to interpret this last part is that SSB4 is confirmed beyond a doubt to play faster than Brawl, how much faster is to be determined in the future.
I just want to emphasize this again.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Here we go with the "ambiguously vague statement = optimism" deal again. Of course he's not gonna straight up tell us "X CHARACTER ISN'T COMING BACK." It's bad PR. I have no doubt at all that they really are trying their best to include as many characters to please everyone, but people are taking this as if it's word of GodSakurai confirmed already. It's ridiculous.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Koopalings would be interesting as a character.
Part of me wants them to be a "mob fighter", while another part wants them to be involved in a Final Smash for Bowser Jr. (airships?)

I like the second idea. Also, it makes me think that King DDD and Pit's Final Smashes will change thanks to limitations. Airships do sound neat too.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just noticed that Sakurai didn't say anything about changing about how he goes about balancing characters, all he said was he's going to be doing the same old process that he did with Melee/Brawl. Considering he's still looking into patches, he's definitely taking a lot of risks.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm jealous. :p I don't blame the guy for answering with a personal want, but I still can't shake off the sad feeling that what he asked for, a minor 7 tiered character despite already having been told the issues with programming, was a waste of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

D

Deleted member

Right. By saying a name of a character already in the roster or not in the roster, the interviewer could try to read Sakurai's face to determine if the guessed character did indeed make the cut.

For instance, if Ridley was stated Sakurai might have grinned from ear to ear or crinkled his nose. Plus he may have made comments.

That is way saying a more popular character that at least in somewhat plausible would have better.

Just from what Sakurai said about 3DS limitations, the Koopling horde would not be feasible.
So when asked a question based on personal taste, it's better to give an answer for the general public that the one being questioned may or may not agree with just to see what reaction would be given?

Kind of selfish thinking, if you ask me.

D

Deleted member

Here we go with the "ambiguously vague statement = optimism" deal again. Of course he's not gonna straight up tell us "X CHARACTER ISN'T COMING BACK." It's bad PR. I have no doubt at all that they really are trying their best to include as many characters to please everyone, but people are taking this as if it's word of GodSakurai confirmed already. It's ridiculous.
He flat out stated that there would be some characters not returning in Brawl from Melee early in development.
Obviously he wouldn't state who would not return, but if he's saying now that there had been no cuts so far, that's a frigging good sign.

If characters will be cut, he will flat out say there will be cuts and apologize ahead of time.
While it's too early to believe that there will be no cuts whatsoever, since we've still got a ways to go, it is still good news.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So when asked a question based on personal taste, it's better to give an answer for the general public that the one being questioned may or may not agree with just to see what reaction would be given?

Kind of selfish thinking, if you ask me.
As an interviewer he is trying to gather information for the public.

Selfish seems to be listing a character that he knows can't possibly get in by what Sakurai just told him.

Selfless would be trying to gather information on if a popular character may have made Sakurai's list.

Whatever floats your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom