• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used to think that, but some of the regular Mario universe seems to be canon in the paper universe, and vice versa.

Maybe it's events in the same universe, just being shown in different mediums. Like watching the movie of something, reading the events in a book, and watching a cartoon of the same thing can be different

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I used to think that, but some of the regular Mario universe seems to be canon in the paper universe, and vice versa.

Maybe it's events in the same universe, just being shown in different mediums. Like watching the movie of something, reading the events in a book, and watching a cartoon of the same thing can be different
My theory is that the classic games(i.e. everything before Super Mario World) happened in all universes, and then it fractures from there. So theres a 3D Mario 'verse, a NSMB 'verse, a Mario&Luigi universe, a Paper Mario universe, etc., but they all share certain events in common.

But this is all WMG.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My theory is that the classic games(i.e. everything before Super Mario World) happened in all universes, and then it fractures from there. So theres a 3D Mario 'verse, a NSMB 'verse, a Mario&Luigi universe, a Paper Mario universe, etc., but they all share certain events in common.

But this is all WMG.
Time paradox? After all... there's a game called "Mario's Time Machine"...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The edutainment games actually exist. The only games that do not exist are the CD-i ones.

Anyway, Paper Mario is not even close to the same as regular Mario. The Paper Mario games is its own dimension and series. He's not the regular Mario. Dr. Mario technically is the regular Mario, since you can justify him putting on a suit. You can't justify that for Paper Mario as he's unique from the original. Only thing they have in common is the ability to jump and technically the name.

I'd still rather have Waluigi, though. Paper Mario, Bowser Jr.(Shadow Mario), are also strong contenders for the direct Mario and direct spin-off series. He's also called Paper Mario in Smash, but Sakurai treats the Doc in Smash as an entirely different entity from Mario, so that wouldn't matter if Paper was playable or not. He's not Mario in Smash, he's Paper Mario.(applies to all characters)

I also would prefer Tingle over anyone else in the Zelda universe. He has his own unique series, has been in the most games save Impa, and unlike Impa, is actually a main and playable character.(albeit, only in his own series)

Waluigi is iffy, IMO. And the only Metroid character I think is deserving in my opinion is solely Ridley. Not that the rest are bad, but Ridley is the main overall villain and very important to Samus' existence. Metroid itself is too, but they are a bit hard to justify as playable compared to even Slime.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because you still believe in the CDi games.

That's like believing in Santa or something

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because you still believe in the CDi games.

That's like believing in Santa or something
I mostly agree with you, except for the fact that you claim me as believing in the CD-i games, whose only purpose is to be used in YTPs.

I think the Wonka picture I posted would give the idea that I'm not being serious.

SANTA'S NOT REAL? OwO

:troll:
strange... as I saw him just a few days ago in a shopping center... or was just a cosplayer? :troll:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
When I was younger my mother would threaten me that CD-i games would break into my room and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM into my ear if I was a bad kid.

She would also give me a massive amount of spaghetti.

Good times.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When I was younger my mother would threaten me that CD-i games would break into my room and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM into my ear if I was a bad kid.

She would also give me a massive amount of spaghetti.

Good times.
cool story you got there. it's like, totally believable. :troll:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
strange... as I saw him just a few days ago in a shopping center... or was just a cosplayer? :troll:
Santa exists, his name is Saint Nicholas and he lives in heaven.
We need a rock for an item.
And I hope she made lots of spaghetti.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Depends how you meant "exist". Do they exist as an actual relation to the Zelda storyline? No. Do they exist as games? Hell yes.

Depends the context. Every game released exists.

CD-i games just aren't connected to the Nintendo series by any means. They're non-canon(by all means) storylines. Regardless of "quality", they exist.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Depends how you meant "exist". Do they exist as an actual relation to the Zelda storyline? No. Do they exist as games? Hell yes.

CD-i games just aren't connected to the Nintendo series by any means. They're non-canon(by all means) storylines. Regardless of "quality", they exist.
someone finally spoke the truth! =D

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

BLASPHEMY! KILL THE...um...BELIEVER! :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just because they are French doesn't make it any MORE PG

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I think that Examiner article just says what the Pixels article (that we were reasonably sure were just speculation) said.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
PETA attacking LOZ would be stupid because Link can't kill Cucoo.

They are immortal, and the most powerful enemy in the game. Summoning an unending swarm

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If he has a tendency of dying and coming back, then why would be surprised of him coming back a 5th time. She would have thought he's be dead the other times. Why now?

Except he's done that before. And she's fought him before. It's routine at this point.

Actual quotes
Women and men around the world working on recovering from PTSD

YES! you can get rid of it. the trick is finding a psychologist that works in psychosomatic therapy. There are several programs out there.

I am a therapist. I practice yoga-breath therapy. In 1984 I was quickly healed of years of emotional problems with yoga breathing. It changed my life and I became a therapist.

Effective recovery work leads to an ongoing gradual reduction of emotional flashbacks.

(Note that all of these use the work "recover," not "treat")
Thank you for wasting my time by pulling these up. Next time, read the dang thing. Actual get your facts straight before you come barking up a tree.

You can't retcon your game to explain bad story writting. Let's say, in the 7th Harry Potter book, his magic sickness is getting worse and is causing him problems. It isn't explained in the 7th book. But instead a side manga came out after book 5 that said that he caught magical sickness in the first book from the Sorcerer's Stone. Yeah, you technically explained it, but you did everything else wrong. Your trying to rework the old story because you messed up now. Same concept. Bad story telling.

Same as your barbeque example. it was a space pirate raid where her parents died.

Why didn't she just do it now. She did it all the other time, even when she though he was dead (see Opening to Metroid Prime)

No, people get it. You don't. This is you talking as if you understand something you clearly don't.
Um, sorry chu but I have to disagree. First of all, he clearly pointed out that Samus wouldn't get a therapist because, you know, she's meant to be tough, right?

Also, the other times there were usually proper reasons for him coming back that she could see at first sight. For instance, Meta Ridley was obviously still Ridley, just a machine where his real body had failed. And whether or not she's fought him before, you can sometimes work with one thing at one time and not work with it at another. Panic attacks can be inconsistent...

HOWEVER: I do agree with you that discussing this and having to find our own reasons why it is so is not great story-telling. Sometimes it is (like when it deliberately wants you to think, that kind of thing) but in this case, probably not really.

Anyway, that's my thought on Metroid: Other M.

Now, on unlockable chars, I definitely think unlockable characters were one of the best parts about smash. I went straight from smash 64 to Brawl not having any idea that there had been melee, what characters were in it, what characters (or anything) was in Brawl... basically unlocking Ness (though he was in 64, was good to see him better graphically) and marth, Lucario and Sonic... having all the characters to start off with is silly, I used to keep thinking about erasing my data to start the game again, just to hear that 'challenger approaching' sound and face that char.

Man, those early days of Brawl were good for me. I think the fun of unlocking new characters is just too good to be thrown away IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom