• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think they should cut Toon Link. Especially with Windwaker being re-released. A whole new generation of fans will be introduced to what we fell in love with. This could be some kids fist Zelda game, and a great one to start with.

Toon Link offers a more agile version of Link, and is more unique with that artstyle than just Young Link.
If they were to give him a different moveset that utilizes the Windwaker and items used from the game (could glide with Deku leaf) he would be a much more unique character.

And perhaps bring Young Link back but make him more like Majoras Mask Young Link where he can use the different masks to change his specials.

I'm not one of those people that were pissed about Toon Links inclusion, or some clones for that matter.
They offer a different play style and strategy for using the same moveset.
Even though Toon Link and Link are the same, they play differently.
Same goes for Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, and Wolf/Falco/Fox

True, I much prefer Toon Link's playstyle over Link's anyday. Regardless if he uses the same weapons. I much prefer the more faster and agile Link anyday. If Toon Link were to be cut, I don't think this will encourage me to play as Link any more than it did in Brawl and Melee. I'd probably just main Ness again. Or any other character who I may like, but likely not Link if he's the same as he was in previous games. :/

Though Toon Link should have some more spice in his moveset though. Make him a bit more different, give him the Deku Leaf even if it's used at the end of a spin attack, the Grappling Hook, the Hurricane Spin and maybe the Skull Hammer. As well as change his smash attacks a bit more. It should hopefully do him wonders. :)

If young Link returns. I don't think he will be using the Mask's though, he will probably be based off how he was in Ocarina of Time again. :/

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be honest, Toon Link would fit very well in this game's art style. Much better suited than Brawl, in my opinion.

Ah, and Toon Link's cameo in the Spirit Tracks stage means nothing, because the Toon Link in Brawl is Wind Waker Link, while the Link on the train stage is Spirit Tracks Link. Those are different characters.

75 m is a good example to explain this point, featuring Donkey Kong, while Donkey Kong is playable. Much like the Links, the Donkey Kong on the 75 m stage is a different Donkey Kong than the playable Donkey Kong.

Same names, different personas.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Isn't the Donkey Kong in 75mm Cranky Kong? and Donkey Kong Jr. is the Donkey Kong we are familiar with, that hangs out with Diddy.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I'm telling you. Magikarp. Splash attack. Hype. B)

Same here, I'd rather he just fleshes out Toon Link more, give him some more of his own abilities than replace him again for yet another child Link only to make them serve the same purpose as Toon Link and Young Link did in their respective games. But yeah, I guess the possibility is there, because besides another child Link, I can't think of any other possible replacement of Toon Link besides Tingle and Impa, and Tingle will probably represent his own series and Impa.... Well.... I just don't know about her...

Yeah I think what Sakurai said about not wanting to upset the fans of characters is probably also part of the reason why I don't think he would take out Toon Link as there isn't any justifiable replacement for him besides another child Link. And I don't think Sakurai would pull a **** move and reduce him into a stage element. I don't know, but that just sounds very mean... Especially in contrast to what he said during that interview. :/

Of course, like I said, there is the possibility of only having the triforce trio this time around.

I think Mario might gain another character, Pokemon will probably too if they want to keep the Brawl vets and Mewtwo.

I guess we will have to just wait and see.
I mained Young Link in Melee, so I have some attachment to the character, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. I think a new Zelda representative, like Impa or Ghirahim would work. Even Tingle. Yes, even Tingle.

Though if I'm being completely honest...

<3

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Isn't the Donkey Kong in 75mm Cranky Kong? and Donkey Kong Jr. is the Donkey Kong we are familiar with, that hangs out with Diddy.
I know it's video game logic and Nintendo could care less most of the time but...you realize how old that'd make Mario?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Same names, different personas.
Arcade DK would later be known as Cranky Kong, I know. My point still stands though.

Toon Link isn't specifically WW Link.
Well, I would check Toon Link's trophy description.

Link, on the other hand, is the one who's not supposed to be any specific Link, though. Check his trophy description too, by the way.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link isn't specifically WW Link.

Actually he is. He uses the Wind Waker and his items are based off the Wind Waker, the trophy even specifically mentions that he is from the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.

Frostwraith covered that. Maybe you should check out the Toon Link thread as we have covered this issue there.

Guys, I'm telling you. Magikarp. Splash attack. Hype. B)

I mained Young Link in Melee, so I have some attachment to the character, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. I think a new Zelda representative, like Impa or Ghirahim would work. Even Tingle. Yes, even Tingle.

I wouldn't mind those three, I can see Tingle showing up, but he may end up representing his own series. And I guess Impa and ghirahim are possible, but I personally just don't think their likely. But that's just me I guess.... ^^:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Also.

>Not maining Rolf.

Seriously though, he's like one of the rare cases where the archer doesn't suck.

Whoa, which game is that design from? When I played FE, I remembered him being a pretty tame green-haired boy, not a Terminatrix...

As far as Toon Link goes... I just hope that Wind Waker HD coming out is enough of an impetus to keep him in the roster and differentiate him more.

-Give him the Deku Leaf for his side B. Blows enemies away while on the ground, sends him into a glide in the air.
-Grappling hook for neutral B. Hold it down to spin it around dangerously, release to throw the hook in the direction indicated. Steals items out of enemies' hands and hurts them.
-Mole Mitts for down B. Digs underground, can be controlled while under, pops out with an uppercut after a couple seconds. In the air, he dives downward in preparation to dig.
-Up B changed to be more like his WW Hurricane Spin, where it can be overcharged to send him spinning around the stage dangerously with the downside of him becoming dizzy afterwards.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Whoa, which game is that design from? When I played FE, I remembered him being a pretty tame green-haired boy, not a Terminatrix...
That was a photoshop of Rolf to resemble Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. It's a tad of a recurring meme in the Fire Emblem Generals at /vg/.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Toon Link's Trophy description, courtesy of SmashWiki:
Link as he appeared in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, with big eyes and an expressive face. He lived peacefully on Outset Island until a bird captured his little sister, and he came to her rescue. In The Wind Waker, he had to crawl, press up to walls, and the like. His green clothes were worn on his 12th birthday and are the lucky outfit of the hero of legend.
: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Toon Link in Brawl is WW Link.

Compare and contrast with Link's Trophy description, courtesy of SmashWiki:
A young man who emerged to rescue Hyrule from peril. He's the bearer of the Triforce of Courage who fights to keep Ganondorf from conquering the world. His green outfit is a constant throughout the series. He's a skilled swordsman, horseman, and archer. He's also proficient with bombs and boomerangs.
: The Legend of Zelda
: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Doesn't seem to be any Link's description, but a general description of all Links in the series.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Wanna hear something that doesn't make sense?

When Keiji Inafune was asked what he feels about Mega Man in Sm4sh he said "I'm really happy for that! It's great! And hopefully they'll put Yaiba in it in the future!" (Video is NSFW)

When asked if Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z will appear on a Nintendo system (something needed for one to be eligible for Smash): "Yeah, no, not right now."

Looks like Inafune doesn't know how to Super Smash Bros.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You're all thinking TOO hard on the Toon Link showing up in the stage. The fact is, he did. Does that mean Toon Link is cut? I don't know. But Toon Link showed up in a stage, regardless of what Link it is. You think Sakurai is going to justify having Toon Link on a stage as well as playable "because thats PH Toon Link, not WW Toon Link"?. Naw, he's either: Not adding Toon Link, or not giving many ****s about it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You're all thinking TOO hard on the Toon Link showing up in the stage. The fact is, he did. Does that mean Toon Link is cut? I don't know. But Toon Link showed up in a stage, regardless of what Link it is. You think Sakurai is going to justify having Toon Link on a stage as well as playable "because thats PH Toon Link, not WW Toon Link"?. Naw, he's either: Not adding Toon Link, or not giving many ****s about it.
PH Toon Link and WW Toon Link are the same Link, though. Spirit Tracks Link is a different Link.

Oh, and do explain DK on 75 m stage. It's the exact same situation.

Guess your argument is flawed, after all.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Toon Link, another thing to note is that everyone was saying that R.O.B. was deconfirmed when he showed up as an enemy in Subspace Emissary, yet appeared as a playable character. Spirit Tracks Link appearing as a stage cameo is even less of an indication that Toon Link is out, especially since Toon Link in this game is Wind Waker Link.

I still think he has a good shot of returning and that he would be lugified to some degree should he return.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

He certainly did for Donkey Kong, regardless what he is known as in the Donkey Kong Country series... Not to mention R.O.B.

And Toon Link was a specific nickname to that Link, Wind Waker Zelda is not called Toon Zelda for example in her trophy description. So if Sakurai were to show a dojo update with that spirit train stage. He will probably refer to Toon Link as the Link of Spirit Track's.

Like I said a billion times now, we will just have to wait and see. Jumping into conclusions of him being cut is doing no one any favours. As this is the whole "Up until now" nonsense that plagued Ness during the Brawl days all over again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Guess your argument is flawed, after all.

What argument?

All I'm saying is you're all thinking way too hard on something he probably didn't even think twice about.

But please, continue to go full autism.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What argument?
This:
You think Sakurai is going to justify having Toon Link on a stage as well as playable "because thats PH Toon Link, not WW Toon Link"?. Naw, he's either: Not adding Toon Link, or not giving many ****s about it.
Well, I believe argument might be the wrong word. I meant STATEMENT instead. My mistake.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You have to keep in mind that Toon Link has been REVEALED as a stage element, and not as a playable character. It's the reveal that's important here. It's not something Sakurai would simply overlook either. In the case of R.O.B., his reveal was supposed to be misleading, because his identity as the Ancient Minister was a secret. For DK, he was already shown as a veteran (as if that was even necessary).

It's hardly the end all argument, but with Toon Link already being probably the character at the greatest risk of being cut outside of third-parties, and cuts weighing heavily on Sakurai's mind (I doubt he was said what he did in that interview just as a little tidbit of trivia), to me Toon Link's reveal seems like a way to say what needs to be said without having to actually say it.

I THINK THERE IS A WORD THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL JUST THEN BUT I COULDN'T THINK OF IT.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Arcade DK would later be known as Cranky Kong, I know. My point still stands though.
The Donkey Kong on 75m is already pointed out to be DK's grandfather through Snakes codecs. So it isn't DK fighting while himself is on the stage. It's essentially the same thing as DK fight on Jungle Japes with his grandfather (Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr.) in the background.
But either way this a retro representation of Crankey Kong/ Donkey Kong Sr., it's not like the Spirit Track level where it is simply a lower resolution of Toon Link. Oddly enough isn't the Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks level Windwaker Link's grandson or was it his son? (idk i never played spirit tracks.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@Oasis_S The thing is though that Sakurai did not confirm that Toon Link is out, only a stage with a Link who isn't even the one from Brawl.

Again, we are just jumping into conclusions. It's best to wait for it a bit longer until we get some actual proper confirmation. For now, Toon Link is on the same boat as everyone else from Brawl.

The Donkey Kong on 75m is already pointed out to be DK's grandfather through Snakes codecs. So it isn't DK fighting while himself is on the stage. It's essentially the same thing as DK fight on Jungle Japes with his grandfather (Donkey "Cranky" Kong Sr.) in the background.
But either way this a retro representation of Crankey Kong/ Donkey Kong Sr., it's not like the Spirit Track level where it is simply a lower resolution of Toon Link. Oddly enough isn't the Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks level Windwaker Link's grandson or was it his son? (idk i never played spirit tracks.)
Either way, the same thing goes for Toon Link, Spirit Track's Link isn't Brawl/Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Toon Link either.

Anyway's. It's getting very late now, I'm going to bed. You guy's can either carry on this discussion without me or look for something else to talk about. good night.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oddly enough isn't the Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks level Windwaker Link's grandson or was it his son? (idk i never played spirit tracks.)
He's not a descendant, but it's clearly stated he's a different character, with no relation to WW Link.

I would drop this subject, though. I have discussed it to death already.

To end this: Toon Link = WW Link = PH Link =/= ST Link

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But please, continue to go full autism.
The irony of course is that you're the person that masturbates to furries and tends to use terms often associated with weeaboos. Of course those characteristics are not typically associate with autism, but still calling you a saint is a joke.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
He's not a descendant, but it's clearly stated he's a different character, with no relation to WW Link.

I would drop this subject, though. I have discussed it to death already.

To end this: Toon Link = WW Link = PH Link =/= ST Link
I was never debating on whether or not WW = PH == ST. I already agree on that, If anyone were get into the whole LoZ timeline thing they would know what Link is what Link.
I was pointing out that the case with DK on 75m isn't "featuring Donkey Kong, while Donkey Kong is playable" on some reality breaking stuff, it's featuring Donkey Kong's Grandfather (as pointed out by the dude in Snake's codec) while Donkey Kong is playable.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And now here's the part where we do "bonding" and try to figure out our sexuality.

****ing hell, I'm not going to hang around a thread where everyone craves penises.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder why Donkey Kong ages while Mario stayed the same age

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was never debating on whether or not WW = PH == ST. I already agree on that, If anyone were get into the whole LoZ time line thing they would know what Link is what Link.
I was pointing out that the case with DK on 75m isn't "featuring Donkey Kong, while Donkey Kong is playable", it's Featuring Donkey Kong Grandfather (as pointed out by the dude in Snake's codec) while Donkey Kong is playable
I get your point and I'm well aware that arcade Donkey Kong IS Cranky Kong.

I was just making an analogy with the Links, since both look similar, but are different characters nevertheless. It's exactly the same thing.

Arcade Donkey Kong/Cranky Kong is a different character than playable Donkey Kong, much like Toon Link (WW, PH, Brawl) and Spirit Tracks Link are different characters. That was my point and that's where the assumptions that ST Link's cameo in the stage implying Toon Link being cut are void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom