• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It baffles me that people think Sakurai is going to cut Ike, a character that has a unique move set/play style, is the mascot of the Wii FE games, and is very popular in Brawl. It makes no sense. I personally don't want ANY cuts, and if there are cuts, only Toon Link.
A case could be made he probably is since he's the conductor on the Spirit Tracks stage. Normally I'd say that it could be a specialty background where if he's not playable he appears as part of the stage and vice versa, but considering they cannot even get the Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS right now, I doubt that is the case.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Then there's Starfy. He has a history stretching back much farther than either two series and he is typically seen as Kirby's rival. He's just one of those characters that is always around and under the radar. All of this to say, who knows? He'll be looking at all three characters since all three series have had new entries since Brawl. But perhaps the deciding factor will be that Starfy was the star of his new game, the other two were not. Doubt it, but you never know.

I like to think that Starfy's chances were also increased by the fact that his most recent game was an international release, as well, increasing consumer interest globally. At the time of its release, The Legendary Starfy was the third best selling DS game to only Mario Kart DS and another Mario DS game. Maybe wishful thinking, but still.

I just really want Starfy playable...

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet
If he wants to a retro character that has not gotten a modern makeover at all, my guesses are it would either be:
1. Mach Rider (with a dystopian biker theme)
2. Lip (with a re-design that makes her more similar to a magical girl)
They could add Muddy Mole. I for one would love to see him in Smash Bros. 4.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like to think that Starfy's chances were also increased by the fact that his most recent game was an international release, as well, increasing consumer interest globally. At the time of its release, The Legendary Starfy was the third best selling DS game to only Mario Kart DS and another Mario DS game. Maybe wishful thinking, but still.
I don't think sales are really going to matter to Sakurai. It isn't like he is going to grab a TI-84 calculator and start graphing every game's sales to make a decision. The only thing new games do is provide for new content and drive the aesthetics for characters and stages.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Still perplexed that there has not been a new Starfy game in five years. I would think it would have already happened by now.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Thoughts? I want to bring this to GameFAQs in order to drown out the pessimism in regards to the roster. Still need to find links that prove that Brawl was horribly uncompressed.
This sounds like a death threat to me.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I like the expansion into the new series that we're getting. It was great to finally see the Villager make the roster because it finally gives a deserving series a spot even when unexpected. With us already knowing of six (Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, supposedly Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac as well), it's a good sign we're going to see a lot out of them. I'm expecting at least eight (we're getting a retro character and I have a very good feeling that Sakurai hasn't finished with misc. series characters yet), but we could see up to ten new series. I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing Mach Rider instead of Takamaru for this game. As for the next misc. rep, it's all up in the air with Shulk, Isaac, Starfy and Saki all being plausible candidates. We could see one or two of these appear, though not more.

Sucks that my new prediction roster is going to be a tough choice between Shulk and Isaac.
Hoots said:
Another constraint (that Sakurai hasn't mentioned, but comes from my vague knowledge of animation), could be that the 3DS cannot handle robust rigs/skeletons. I know this is a serious limitation in League of Legends. Characters generally have a limit in the amount of joints they can have. If the 3DS can't support characters that require elaborate rigging, it could be bad news for characters like Ridley.
Good point, but after Mega Man, who is supposedly harder to fit in the game than making the game itself, I'm optimistic that they can get Ridley to work should they tackle him.
Starphoenix said:
I don't think that's all. I still say there is going to be one surprise that few will see coming like a Pokémon Trainer. I'm still saying it will be Waddle Dee, but I know most everyone won't agree.
My main doubt from Waddle Dee comes from his importance being significantly lower than the three already in (at least so far, but that could change before Smash 5) and Sakurai's own humbleness. I know he didn't create Bandanna Dee, but I do think he still has the concern of over-representing his own franchise. He'd be cool, but I'm not seeing it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
SerenesForest is a FE community, and he's still not that requested. I've heard some low opinions of him even. (Not talking about Smash, but FE in general on the low comments)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Still perplexed that there has not been a new Starfy game in five years. I would think it would have already happened by now.
Considering TOSE is not a Nintendo subsidiary they are probably on other projects. In fact their most recent project was Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, and considering there is a sequel in the works, my educated guess is they are co-developing the sequel as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seems like Nintendo and TOSE should've capitalized on the new market for Starfy when it was hot and relatively successful, even if the numbers were dwindling in Japan. Ofc they still could (and probably will - eventually) release another Starfy game in the west, but it wouldn't have as much momentum as it could've. And ofc being released (sort of) worldwide helps Starfy's chances, but the fact that it's been five years since a title definitely doesn't. What gives TOSE? :p
Least it's not as bad as Custom Robo...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't think sales are really going to matter to Sakurai. It isn't like he is going to grab a TI-84 calculator and start graphing every game's sales to make a decision. The only thing new games do is provide for new content and drive the aesthetics for characters and stages.

Well, in my mind, regardless of sales numbers, the international release definitely boosted interest if it does that well.

After looking at it, it actually BEAT NSMB and Mario Kart DS during its first week in America. That, to me, shows tons of interest.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They're closet Krystal fans trying to enact revenge because they perceive their princess got beat out.

Our princess never was in the running, as far as I'm concerned. But I think this time will be different, for various reasons.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After looking at it, it actually BEAT NSMB and Mario Kart DS during its first week. That, to me, shows tons of interest.
Keep in mind those games had been out for three or four years already, and Starfy's commercial peak was temporary. Yeah, it did well, well enough for any future Starfy games to have a decent-sized audience in NA, but not so well that the current five-year absence won't take quite a toll on his chances.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
SerenesForest is a FE community, and he's still not that requested. I've heard some low opinions of him even. (Not talking about Smash, but FE in general on the low comments)
Roy's among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4, I don't understand how he's not that requested. Really, you are not saying anything new. Of course the super hardcore FE fans are not fond of Roy due to him being among the weaker lords in the series.

In Japan though, the Japanese FE fans do love Roy (they have a really high opinion of FE6 in general, and credit it for resurrecting the series).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
My main doubt from Waddle Dee comes from his importance being significantly lower than the three already in (at least so far, but that could change before Smash 5) and Sakurai's own humbleness. I know he didn't create Bandanna Dee, but I do think he still has the concern of over-representing his own franchise. He'd be cool, but I'm not seeing it.
My point has always been what he brings to the roster that does not already exist. Humility or importance has little to do with it. Anyways, I don't expect people to understand. One of these days I'll be vindicated about something. I don't know if it will be Waddle Dee, or Slime, or Porky in his Mother 2 mech; eventually something will give.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Our princess never was in the running, as far as I'm concerned. But I think this time will be different, for various reasons.
I think the Starfox series getting another character would be even more out of place than Kirby getting a newcomer. I think for the series, the bigger priority should be giving Wolf his own specials, and Falco being further luigi-fied or possibly completely unique.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
My point has always been what he brings to the roster that does not already exist. Humility or importance has little to do with it. Anyways, I don't expect people to understand. One of these days I'll be vindicated about something. I don't know if it will be Waddle Dee, or Slime, or Porky in his Mother 2 mech; eventually something will give.

Yeah, I agree. I mean... Spear user with a decent shot. That's all you really need to say.

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
They should cut Megaman out because we haven't seen a megaman game in years, riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Also, I'll be rocking the WFT, get healthy mother****ers.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Roy's among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4, I don't understand how he's not that requested. Really, you are not saying anything new. Of course the super hardcore FE fans are not fond of Roy due to him being among the weaker lords in the series.

In Japan though, the Japanese FE fans do love Roy (they have a really high opinion of FE6 in general, and credit it for resurrecting the series).
Being a member of Serenes, yeah Roy isn't well liked over there [I'm one of the few] Seems to be abuzz on how he has no chance in heck in returning and how Ike has no chance to return either. It's rather ridiculous [even if I do like quite a few people on the site. I find their negativity to the 2 returning absurd]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I swear I can almost see a co-op event match called the "The Most Extreme Body Guard" where Toad and Waddle Dee are guarding King Dedede and Peach from damage.

D

Deleted member

Being a member of Serenes, yeah Roy isn't well liked over there [I'm one of the few] Seems to be abuzz on how he has no chance in heck in returning and how Ike has no chance to return either. It's rather ridiculous [even if I do like quite a few people on the site. I find their negativity to the 2 returning absurd]
I've noticed that people are much more pessimistic about Roy and Ike returning on GameFAQs than ever before. More than ever, people consider Marth and Chrom to be the most likely scenario (which I have a hard time seeing).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've noticed that people are much more pessimistic about Roy and Ike returning on GameFAQs than ever before. More than ever, people consider Marth and Chrom to be the most likely scenario (which I have a hard time seeing).
Yeah, I noticed that too :/ while I'd like Chrom to come in possibly. I do really want Roy and Ike to return. I think their shot is pretty decent myself.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I noticed that too :/ while I'd like Chrom to come in possibly. I do really want Roy and Ike to return. I think their shot is pretty decent myself.
I think Ike is very likely to return. There is pretty much no reason to cut him aside from the possibility of time constraints. Roy also has a good shot of getting in as well thanks to being planned for Brawl, Sakurai revisiting his own ideas for Villager (and seem to be looking back at pre-Brawl at lot if that and Mega Man is any indication) and being among the Top 5 most wanted characters. Chrom has a 50/50 shot; depends on if Sakurai thinks a new Lord could match the popularity of that of Marth, Roy and Ike.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I hope ike is confirmed soon.
If Ike returns I could either see:
1. Him being among the last veterans confirmed on the Dojo (see Sheik, Sakurai loves toying with people)
2. Him being a hidden character.

Marth should really be promoted to a starter character.

Well, the thing is that we probably won't get any more character confirmations (veteran or newcomer) until October at the earliest.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
1301 ~

Uber Tier
· Mewtwo 854

Top Tier
· King K. Rool 663
· Ridley 662
· Roy 607

High Tier
· Little Mac (Punch Out) 545

Mid Tier
· Palutena 496
· Bowser Junior 490
· Krystal 480
· Isaac (Golden Sun) 452
· Paper Mario 432
· Chrom 422
· Waluigi 416

Low Tier
· Shulk (Xenoblade) 394
· Dixie Kong 382
· Banjo & Kazooie 378
· Majora (Skull Kid) 369
· Ghirahim 338
· Samurai Goroh 332
· Pac-Man 319
· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 316
· Black Shadow 311
· Bomberman 311
· Lyn 308

Bottom Tier
· 6th Gen Pokemon 290
· Toad 278
· Lucina 271
· Mii (Wii Series) 263
· Rayman 262
· Dark Samus 259
· Super Mario RPG (Geno, Mallow) 252
· Kingdom Hearts (Sora) 249
· Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 246
· Zoroark 245
· Bayonetta 245
· Ace Attorney (Phoenix Write) 237
· Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 234
· Rosalina 232
· Kamek 231
· Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 230
· King Boo 229
· Doctor Mario 225
· Medusa 223
· Eevee (and Eeveelutions) 220
· Balloon Fighter 218
· Vaati 216
· Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 216
· Saki (Sin & Punishment) 214
· Toon Zelda 212
· Claus (Masked Man)211
· Viewtiful Joe 210
· Midna 203
· Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) 202
· Final Fantasy (Chocobo, Black Mage, Moogle, Cloud, Lightning) 201
· Tetra 200

Almost Tier
· Wolf Link 197
· Tales Series (Cless/Cress, Lloyd) 197
· Crono Trigger (Crono) 195
· Professor Layton 194
· Shy Guy 192
· Dillon (Rolling Western) 190

Everyone Else
· Young Link 188
· Ashley 186
· Dark Pit 184
· Anna 183
· Baby Mario & Luigi 181
· Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 178
· Magnus 175
· Ray MK (Custom Robo) 174
· Captain Syrup 172
· No More Hereos (Travis Touchdown) 168
· Scribblenauts (Maxwell) 168
· Hades 167
· Deoxys 164
· Mona 161
· Daisy 159
· Bandana Dee 157
· Slippy 155
· Pokemon Trainer (Sinnoh) 154
· Porky 153
· Street Fighter (Ryu, Chun Li, M. Bison) 152
· Black Knight 151
· Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker) 151
· Knuckle Joe 150
· Pokemon Trainer Villain (Rocket Plasma Galactic Aqua Magma) 150
· Pokemon Trainer N 149
· Andy (Advanced Wars) 146
· Fawful 145
· Funky Kong 142
· Impa 141
· Micaiah 140
· Classic Link 139
· Meowth 138
· Toon Ganondorf 137
· Tharja 135
· Prince Fluff 132
· Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 132
· Kat & Ana 131
· Genesect 131
· K.K Slider (Animal Crossing) 131
· Pichu 129
· Plusle & Minun 128
· Lip (Panel De Pon) 128
· 2nd Metal Gear Character (Raiden, Gray Fox) 125
· Viridi 125
· Baby Bowser 120
· Eirika 120
· Tingle 119
· Toon Sheik 119
· Pokemon Champion Cynthia 116
· Robin (FE:A Avatar) 115
· Alex (Golden Sun) 114
· Kumatora 112
· Soul Calibur (Nightmare, Ivy Valentine) 112
· Fiora (Xenoblade) 111
· Yarn Kirby 110
· Tiki 110
· Hector 108
· Mew 107
· Poo 107
· Peppy 105
· Darkrai 102
· Battletoads (Zitz) 101
· Jimmy T. 100
· Sylux 100
· Jill (Drill Dozer) 100
· Adeliene 99
· Ninja Gaiden (Ryu Hayabusa) 97
· Duck Hunt Dog 96
· Louie (Pikmin) 95
· Jeff 94
· Ephraim 93
· Elite Beat Agents 92
· KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) 91
· Ninten 90
· Captain Rainbow 89
· Yarn Yoshi 88
· Paula 88
· Felix (Golden Sun) 88
· Zael (The Last Story) 87
· Matthew (Golden Sun) 85
· Blood Falcon 84
· Resident Evil (Jill Valentine Chris Redfeild Leon Kennedy) 84
· Tekken (Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya) 84
· Mach Rider 83
· Groose 82
· Flint 80
· Victini 79
· Mike Jones (Star Tropics) 79
· Jody Summer 78
· Giygas 78
· Dragon Quest (Slime) 78
· Eggplant Wizard 77
· Aeron (Pandora's Tower) 76
· Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 75
· Gardevoir 74
· Captain N 74
· Lanky Kong 73
· Phantom Zelda 72
· Captain Trio / Alph, Charlie, Brittany (Pikmin 3) 69
· Meloetta 70
· Caeda 68
· Leon 67
· Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment) 67
· Tempo (Harmo Knight) 67
· Cranky Kong 66
· Excited Biker 61
· Andross 59
· Anthony Higgs 58
· Eliwood 58
· Mallo (Pushmo) 58
· Marx 57
· Ana 57
· Donkey Kong Junior 56
· Dunban (Xenoblade) 56
· Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) 56
· Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) 55
· Panther 54
· NO THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS 54
· Reyn (Xenoblade) 53
· Elincia 52
· Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness) 52
· Walhart 50
· Calista (The Last Story) 50
· Leaf 48
· Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 45
· Sigurd 40
· Ashley Robbins (Trace Memory / Another Road) 40
· Magolor 39
· Alice (Balloon Kid) 39
· Sakura Samurai (Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) 38
· Pico 36
· Soren 36
· Gooey 35
· Orublon 34
· Deathborn 34
· Shake King 33
· Tiki Tong 31
· Stanly the Bugman 28
· Celice 28
· Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk) 28
· Urban Champion 26
· Heracles (Glory of Heracles) 25
· Kiddie Kong 23
· Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club pt. II) 23
· Hunter (Fossil Fighter) 23
· Tamagon (Devil World) 22
· Daroach 21
· Dr. Stewart 21
· Demille (Tomato Adventure) 21
· John Raimi (Geist) 20
· Labrador / Grey Tabby (Nintendogs + Cats) 20
· Prince Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 20
· Narbarl 19
· Hero (Magc Starsign / Vacation) 19
· Dr. Write (Sim City) 18
· Ryuta (Ouendan) 18
· Welt (Soma Bringer) 16
· Lark (PilotWings) 15
· Ryota Hayami (Wave Race) 15

The tiers are on the brink of changing. The top three mid tiered characters, for example are all about to shift into high tier.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Here I am waiting for monday's update before I sleep. Haha, I find it sad that 2 days after I refound the fact I had an account here. I'll be gone for a week on a small vacation ^^; I just wanna see that one update before!

edit: Ooooh new poll results. Hot damn, Roy is fourth. YOU GO BOY.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@Shortie's poll: Paper Mario is WAY up there. Higher than I anticipated, honestly. :reverse:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
@Shortie's poll: Paper Mario is WAY up there. Higher than I anticipated, honestly. :reverse:
Would be cool to get some Paper Mario tracks in smash as well. PM64 was my favorite N64 game only behind Ogre Battle 64. Heck I even liked it more then TTYD but I blame Nostalgia for that haha

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Pleasantly surprised at how many people voted on Bomberman. He's almost at Pac-Man level.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm just busy laughing at the fact that Shy Guy beat out Dillon. :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Bomberman is pretty awesome, that's why he does so well. I'm a major Bomberman fan. Too bad Konami does so little with him.
If there were going to be another third-party I would support for the game, it'd be him, Geno or Slime. I really like the concept of having Nintendo-orientated guests in the game (though Mega Man satisfies the desire) and his games being so multi-player orientated is something I can associate with the craziness of the Smash scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom