• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, this thread is going by stupidly fast, what did I miss? So far I've read:

- Tripping is oust
- Gameplay will be somewhere between Brawl and Melee
- IC's (Not transforming characters) are giving 3DS some trouble
- 3DS has limitations
- Sakurai is trying to add as many charcters as possible
- Cuts probably are happening (Looking at you, Ike, Lucario, PT, Lucas, Wolf, and Toon Link)
- Not a lot of third party additions (Bye Snake, but what about Sonic?)
- Games have the same roster
- NO MII, LITTLE MAC, PAC-MAN CONFIRMATION
- Sakurai will be speaking again REAL SOON

Am I missing anything?

GIMME DAT PAC-MAN/MII/LITTLE MAC DECONFIRMATION

Hello.

Smash Cadet
I think by "cutting characters" he meant ideas that he could propose for newcomers. There is always the chance that people from Melee/Brawl won't return even if he wasn't co-developing the game for 3DS.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Geno is lame (EDIT: IN MY OPINION, THAT IS). Just saying.

I'd love for Nintendo to make another Reveal trailer and it starts by showing Geno waking up, and then Mallow just kicks him out of the way.
I'm a Geno supported.
Regardless, if that happened, I would probably sob for a few moments before being ecstatic that SMRPG has representation in the first place.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I accept 2 of these things, Althought...
Zamus is not going to be a standalone character, cause Samus used that Hyper beam(?) As her final smash, which in brawl as well. You will know by pure knowledge that she becomes Zamus from this.
Yes, she became Zamus through that IN BRAWL. Just because it was in Brawl doesn't mean it'll happen in this game. We didn't even see the end of the move so they might have been separated.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I still think the supposed "cutting characters" line and the "IC problem" are referring to the same thing. I mean, it was for two different journalists, right?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Wouldn't it be funny if it turns out a Shin Megami Tensei character is getting in cause of SMT x FE? ¦D

volbound1700

Smash Master
Being brutal honest, I don't really understand the difficulty with Third parties, in fact they should be easier and here is why...

Ok all you need is a dang NDA that states what property belongs to who.

Than hire the animation team from third party to do all animation and agree in principal with them on move-set and game content. That is it. Really it doesn't sound that difficult Sakurai. In fact it is easier because in the case of Sonic you can hire SEGA team to assist you in all the animations for Sonic, his level, trophies, items, etc.

Really not that hard. I buy crap from venders all day, every day. I don't see the difficulty as long as they are willing to work with you on the legal terms (mostly Indemnity) and IP rights. With video game IP, indemnity isn't even an issue.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah. It pretty much deconfirms that Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii rumor. While this isn't necessarily deconfirmation, I now believe that Mega Man will end up being our only new third-party addition.
I can see that and although disappointed, I can live with that if Sonic isn't cut.

I really, however, do not see the issues Sakurai is complaining about with third party since we hire people everyday at my company to come into our plants and build stuff, work with us on projects, etc. Really seems to be the same deal with this. Sounds like Nintendo cannot develop relationships.

I mean if Mario + Sonic Olympic games and Mario Kart Arcade can work with third party characters, why can't Sakurai and Smash?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah. It pretty much deconfirms that Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii rumor. While this isn't necessarily deconfirmation, I now believe that Mega Man will end up being our only new third-party addition.

It doesn't deconfirmed anything. If anything, the lack of third parties concerns Sonic and Snake the most. That rumor is still legitimate.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It doesn't deconfirmed anything. If anything, the lack of third parties concerns Sonic and Snake the most. That rumor is still legitimate.
That makes absolutely no sense. Sakurai just stated that Namco wouldn't be getting priorities for 3rd Party characters himself, sot hat pertains more to Pac-Man.

Besides, Sonic isn't going anywhere. It'd be beyond dumb to take out someone who has 3 exclusives on Nintendo systems coming out, not to mention is someone who will boost the sales of the game by his name alone just like Megaman.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say that deconfirms the Pac-Man rumor, because Sakurai does love his trolling, and Pac-Man is pretty worthy as a third party.

I'd say that no new characters being announced at E3 invalidates the Pac-Man rumor.

I really hope Zamus becomes a stand-alone character. It's basically impossible to play her in a game with Final Smashes at the moment, especially since the transformation mechanic from Samus to ZSS is difficult to execute and plain unfair to characters who sacrifice one of their moves to transforming.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Did you guys read further in the article where he asks the reporter which Namco character he would want and the guy said Pac-Man and then Sakurai asked him what the Final Smash would be?

Just curious.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That makes absolutely no sense. Sakurai just stated that Namco wouldn't be getting priorities for 3rd Party characters himself, sot hat pertains more to Pac-Man.

Besides, Sonic isn't going anywhere. It'd be beyond dumb to take out someone who has 3 exclusives on Nintendo systems coming out, not to mention is someone who will boost the sales of the game by his name alone just like Megaman.

They don't have priority, doesn't mean Pac-Man didn't get in. That leak is still VERY valid. I suspect Nintendo found out it was leaked, and decided to change up their plans. And Sonic very well could be going somewhere. If Namco isn't getting special priority, you think Sonic getting three games is going to matter much? Namco is making this game HAPPEN.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
They don't have priority, doesn't mean Pac-Man didn't get in. That leak is still VERY valid. I suspect Nintendo found out it was leaked, and decided to change up their plans.
This argument makes no sense to me. Why the hell would you change your reveal plans for your biggest game at the world's biggest game publisher conference because a tiny minority of the Smash fanbase read a leak online and only maybe believed it? Nintendo would never alter such major plans based on such a minor leak.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
They don't have priority, doesn't mean Pac-Man didn't get in. That leak is still VERY valid. I suspect Nintendo found out it was leaked, and decided to change up their plans. And Sonic very well could be going somewhere. If Namco isn't getting special priority, you think Sonic getting three games is going to matter much? Namco is making this game HAPPEN.

No, Nintendo is making the game happen. Namco Bandai just happens to be one of the people helping a little.

And this rumor is in no way valid at all. It's completely baseless and is probably just a gigantic troll to begin with that clearly everyone has fallen for. Even if it turns out to be true, it won't be because of this rumor.

Seriously, think logically for a moment instead of just blabber "IT'S VALID! IT'S VALID" just because you want it to happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't have a problem with Pac-Man being the Namco character suggested to Sakurai, but if you write an article on why Cloud should be in Smash but Wario and G&W should be cut... you really don't deserve to have your opinion listened to by Sakurai. (Yes it was the same guy)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't have a problem with Pac-Man being the Namco character suggested to Sakurai, but if you write an article on why Cloud should be in Smash and Wario and G&W should be cut... you really don't deserve to have your opinion listened to by to Sakurai. (Yes it was the same guy)
Yes, how dare someone suggest someone you don't like? What a crime. ¦D

I, too, think G&W should be cut out of the roster. You mad? ¦3

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't have a problem with Pac-Man being the Namco character suggested to Sakurai, but if you write an article on why Cloud should be in Smash but Wario and G&W should be cut... you really don't deserve to have your opinion listened to by Sakurai. (Yes it was the same guy)

If a Square Enix rep gets in it should be something common place that appeared on a Nintendo system like a Moogle, Chocobo, or a Black/White Mage.

I'm fairly sure past perhaps Pac Man, that Mega Man and Sonic might be the only third party reps anyways.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't even like Pac-Man, or Little Mac, and I think Miis are kinda cool. So, no. And you're not disproving anything I'm saying either, you're just going NO, NOT RIGHT. The rumor should be taken seriously because it's guessed two extremely unlikely characters. This deconfirms Pac-Man about as much as Sakurai's quote about Mega-Man in Smash deconfirmed him a year ago. Sakurai could you know, just be trying to keep things under wraps.

And I don't know why they would change their plans, but it's possible. I'm confident Miis, Little Mac, and Pac-Man will be confirmed soon.

And then I realized who exactly I was talking to...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Won't hate, we'll just take you less seriously
Anyone being "dead serious" while arguing about anything in here is already setting themselves up for failure. People seriously need to relax and have a bit more fun with these things. XD

...Oh wait, this is Smashboards. "Serious" is fun here. Nevermind. ¦D

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I think some characters (outside of the OGs from 64) can get cut because they had their time in the sun and there needs to be room for new people.

I love GnW, but I don't have high hopes he'll make it in. I'll miss him, sure, but I'll find other people to play, just like everyone else who will buy the game despite their dream character not getting in/favorite getting cut

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes, the opinion of someone I've never met before over a character in a video game contrasts with mine and thus has brought me to anger. Happy now? :troll::laugh:

But hey, if you want the guy who thinks Wario and G&W don't belong in Smash but Cloud does to have input on our roster... all the power to you. :rolleyes::smirk:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
After digesting the Super Smash Bros news and getting past some of the knee jerk reactions I have to say that I think a lot of us have been overreacting to the news -- I overreacted. A lot of what Sakurai has said in the past twenty-four hours is little different than what he's alreadt stated in the past. Here are some of my thoughts.

@3rd Party characters: Sakurai didn't really change the script on this subject. They are special situations, there aren't going to be many of them and not just anyone can show up. We already knew this. None of us reasonably expected more than a couple (assuming the best). He never addressed the topic of Sonic the Hedgehog and Solid Snake returning, rather simply making a general statement on why there won't be many in the game. It's really that simple.

@Cuts: A little bit of history will help illustrate the point I'm going to make. In May of 2006, seven months after Super Smash Bros. Brawl was announced to be coming to the Wii, and a month prior to its E3 reveal; Masahiro Sakurai did some journal entries that addressed select questions he had received from fans. Right off the bat one issue Sakurai addressed was cuts to Melee veterans, to which he responded that not every character would return. Everyone knew what to expect at that point and most of us pretty much knew what was coming. Now fast forward to 2013 and we find ourselves in a similar boat, or do we?
And what about returning characters? I knew Sakurai wouldn't want to get too specific—Nintendo likes to announce characters for their big mascot fighting series with a dripfeed of news on the Smash Bros. Dojo website—but should fans expect all of their favorites from Melee and Brawl?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."
The surprising part of his response is not actually about the 3DS' limitations, for we have already known that for months now by Sakurai, but what is interesting is Sakurai is being less definitive on whether or not there will be cuts. The key word in the first sentence is "may." The second part worth noting is that he is working as hard as he can to include as many characters as possible. Not only does this eliminate the theory that he is setting a cap on the amount of characters but it also indicates that he wants to keep as many of the characters from Brawl as he can. Trust me, no matter how badly we may feel about characters being removed if anyone probably hates it more it is Sakurai. If he is cognizant enough to remove tripping due to our loathing then I can guarantee you he can see how many people want to hold onto the characters from Brawl.

This does not mean there won't be characters cut, but from what I gather it will be something that will be a forced last minute decision and not a part of the plan. Most of the characters in Brawl are not like the the cut Melee veterans (bar Mewtwo), and those who were late additions only include Wolf, Sonic, Toon Link and Jigglypuff.

@DLC: I'm actually not surprised by what Sakurai said, nor should anyone else. He is the type of developer who likes to get it perfect once. If he runs into a Mewtwo or Roy situation were he is unable to include content due to time constraints I think there may be avenues for DLC, but for now it is a good thing that he is focused on delivering a good game.

----

There is more I could write -- and probably could edit as well -- but for now I'll leave it at what I've written.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think some characters (outside of the OGs from 64) can get cut because they had their time in the sun and there needs to be room for new people.

I love GnW, but I don't have high hopes he'll make it in. I'll miss him, sure, but I'll find other people to play, just like everyone else who will buy the game despite their dream character not getting in/favorite getting cut

I just don't see them cutting any retro characters let alone people like R.O.B. and Game and Watch who seem they wouldn't really take up much disk space.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Considering that G&W is the most unique character in the game, I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Yes, the opinion of someone I've never met before over a character in a video game contrasts with mine and thus has brought me to anger. Happy now? :troll::laugh:

But hey, if you want the guy who thinks Wario and G&W don't belong in Smash but Cloud does to have input on our roster... all the power to you. :rolleyes::smirk:
I want everyone to have input on our roster, including people I don't agree with.

Why? Because we're all going to be playing this game and we all have different tastes and desires we'd like met.

Excluding people for having ideas you don't like is just selfish. :3

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Points in favor of the rumor being true:
-It guessed Miss Fit in combination with another somewhat unlikely pick.

Points against the rumor being true:
-At least 50% of the rumor was demonstrably false, as we did not get the promised 3 more characters at the end of E3.

At this point, there is no reason to continue treating this rumor as confirmation of Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac. All three are very likely newcomers to begin with, anyways.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
@Star: I could be wrong, but I'm starting to think that the limitations that he's talking about aren't space limitations, but mechanical limitations. He could very well be considering cutting Ice Climbers and Olimar, due to the apparent difficulty that they would give the 3DS. THAT would be tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom