• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What began as a social discussion thread for SSB4 escalated into a pony and spiderman argument which has decimated the fighting game community. . . (TA)
Just like old times back on the Smash 4 and Smash Wii U threads. lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It doesn't help that there hasn't been any news lately.

Soon we're going to sing "Rock Lobster" in German due to the sheer boredom.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
We could all hop aboard the Wii U hype plane!

That's right. I said hype plane. I'm a licensed hype pilot.

Now boarding, the 10/30 one-way to Nintendo Land.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This thread is living proof that we've all gone a bit nuts waiting for this game. :laugh:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
*clears throat*

The Wii U launches in 17 days.

17 days.

Hnnnnng.

I think Nintendo Land is going to scratch that Nintendo crossover itch that Smash Bros. usually does. It comes with my Deluxe preorder (along with either ZombiU or NSMBU), and I've already lined up a Thanksgiving Break-spanning Wii U multiplayer party for it. I'm pretty hyped, and everyone should go check out the Nintendo Land videos so you can also get hyped.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I just can't get excited for ZombiU, from the lame name to the uninspired theme and the fact that I'm just sick and tired with everything zombie-related. The only thing I really want from the launch games is NintendoLand, but I wonder how long that can stay interesting until Pikmin 3 or something equally cool comes along.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
We should come up with nicknames foe the wiiu how bout the U or wiiu's this gaming system for fun i like the secound one better personally.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So, I was thinking, who's going to do the narration for Smash 4? In my brain I can still hear those classic phrases ringing from each of the three previous games.
Just because I love the guy so much it would be neat to have John Patrick Lowrie as the main man.

I don't like the TV ad. . . Too AHTLAZRNM<>XBUPQWET-y.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
lol Miyamoto Style

How old is this guy again. I swear, he hasn't aged in the last five years or so.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Shiggy is 59 years old.

Just in case anyone was wondering what the context of the dancing was Miyamoto was in Spain last night to receive the Prince of Asturias Award, which recognizes significant contributions to culture and other fields of humanities. The guy basically won a Nobel Prize.

EDIT: Except that the Nobels recognize contributions in science and politics rather than culture and the humanities in case anyone was wondering what the difference between the awards was.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So the Project M just showed off their engine changes. I had no idea how much different Brawl was from Melee. I never thought of knockback stacking (though it seems more like scaling) as an alternative means of allowing combos to work especially for aerial combos. For ground combos, I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qQ1jzw3ZE&feature=g-u-u#

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But what does Project M have to do with Super Smash Bros. 4? Is it so that people can fantasize over the next game being Melee 2.0 and be devastated when it's not?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Attitude much?

No, it's about presenting what could be done for the next game.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The amount of work the P:M crew is putting in is crazy!
The knock back shift is interesting. Considering how combos get harder to keep going as damage increases scaling knock back would be super interesting with Brawl's OG engine (which only shifts inertia iIrc).
But what does Project M have to do with Super Smash Bros. 4?
I don't see you contributing anything worth discussing so...

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I love what PM has done with every character's moveset, especially PT Red. Still including my opinions towards all hacks in general, and probably being in the minority in that I prefer Brawl to Melee, it does feel like a last attempt to move Smash back to the way things were in the Melee Regime as much as possible, before the Brawl Revolution came and before another possible Revolution (Smash 4) comes and further changes the way we play.

*Sorry just got out of History class, were talking about the French Revolution. lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Off the current topic, but I just found this interesting. Apparently Miyamoto was questioned about F-Zero, seeing as it was a "most missed game" by the French. Apparently he was shocked to see that it had so many eager fans. Kinda funny, in a way.

And yes, I do look in the Discussion Group often, and saw that Shortie posted this. Public viewing is nice, okay?
:p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The knock back shift is interesting. Considering how combos get harder to keep going as damage increases scaling knock back would be super interesting with Brawl's OG engine (which only shifts inertia iIrc).
For some reason, when I was watching the video at first, my mind kept thinking something completely different when it came to the term "stacking". I just realized that it's the momentum of the attacks adding up in +x, -x, +y, and -y directions (since there's no Z axis in Smash) in good old fashioned physics. This makes a lot more sense. Who knows why this was changed in Brawl.

Still, while this makes aerial combos super crazy and has the potential to limit aerial combo options as a result, does this have much potential with the ground game, the one thing I'm heavily concerned about with the next game?

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Project M is meh. They changed Toon Link's move set just so there wouldn't be any clones. Not only that but it's "developed" by a group of modders, so it's probably riddled with bugs. I'll stick with Brawl. :smirk:

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Project M is meh. They changed Toon Link's move set just so there wouldn't be any clones. Not only that but it's "developed" by a group of modders, so it's probably riddled with bugs. I'll stick with Brawl. :smirk:
So you say it sucks even though you admit to having never played it yourself?

Also, the Toon Link isn't less of a clone than he was in Brawl. Don't know where you got that impression.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So you say it sucks even though you admit to having never played it yourself?

Also, the Toon Link isn't less of a clone than he was in Brawl. Don't know where you got that impression.
This is the same guy that WANTS clones. Just ignore him.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
For some reason, when I was watching the video at first, my mind kept thinking something completely different when it came to the term "stacking". I just realized that it's the momentum of the attacks adding up in +x, -x, +y, and -y directions (since there's no Z axis in Smash) in good old fashioned physics. This makes a lot more sense. Who knows why this was changed in Brawl.
Rather than making a new engine or reusing Melee's engine the Brawl dev team chose to use an already developed physics engine. I doubt anyone developing the game itself had anything to do with the change in physics.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

:phone:
Well, I hate clones. I also hate Toon Link. Sounds like an improvement on their part so far

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't like clones being added, but I don't like cuts more. The only true clone left is Toon Link and if they found a way to make him less clone-ish without ruining the character I'm all for it.

Although I would like to see a brawl moveset Falco in Project M just because.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Although I would like to see a brawl moveset Falco in Project M just because.
Brawl Falco's reflector is a no-no, so is his Fair.

As for clones, they actually help Smash more than they hinder it. Like i've said before, have reasonable clones such as Luigi to Mario and avoid necessary ones like Ganondorf to Captain Falcon. This way the developers doesn't need to spend too much time of their development schedule to uniqify EVERY character on the roster just for the sake of them being unique. This way more thought and effort can be put into other content such as Online, Story mode and even new exciting modes. (Don't make Break The Targets crap again, please.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
To be honest, not every character needs to be a snowflake. They need to focus on balance though and making sure that there's a reasonable amount of diversity.

My problem with clones tends to be that they usually have more material to go off of in order to stick out more, namely Toon Link and Ganondorf. Falco could've gotten a Flash Kick in reference to the somersault in the Starfox games just to give an example.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
In regard to clones, I think all the current clones are just going to be decloned with each game. Heck, Lucas is barely a clone as he is. As for clones that could basically become (pretty much) "original characters," the most likely candidates are Lucas, Luigi, Wolf and Ganondorf. Still, I expect Roy (if he returns), Falco (he isn't too far off from being original, so I doubt he will get too many more new/changed moves), and especially Toon Link to become much more original.
But what does Project M have to do with Super Smash Bros. 4? Is it so that people can fantasize over the next game being Melee 2.0 and be devastated when it's not?
*waits for people like you to not have the same opinion of "Project B" for Smash WiiU. and/or Smash 3DS, and/or Melee*
Yeah, the amount of work in Project M truly shows that those guys are in it for real. It also shows that everyone who worked on previous smash bros games really had built up a complex (although, especially in Brawl's case, a flawed) engine.

I do like the idea for the damage increased scaling idea lot though. I'm trying to think, but I remember a non-smash 2D fighting game having such a system. What was it... :glare:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
^ Damage scaling is in the vast majority of fighting games from what I've seen. Some even have gravity scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom