• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Opossum- People will probably disagree with this, but I don't think we'll get a bigger roster just because the team is bigger now

I mean, yeah, it's possible and seems ideal considering the increased capital, but I think they'll just focus on making the game itself as best as they can

I don't really disagree (nor agree) with it either, really. I was just asking for opinions on the matter. We can still have a friendly discussion, even with disagreements. :laugh:

I was just asking mainly due to the fact that I generally have two prediction rosters in mind (although it may be futile after Miss Fit's reveal :p ) , a larger one at about 56 characters, and a smaller, more compact one at about 50.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
At this point, seeing as with Namco on board for balancing help, and the fact that with the reveals of Villager and "Miss Fit" (love that fan name), do you think it'd be totally out of the picture to see an increase in roster size equivalent to Brawl's, with about 17 or so newcomers? Just looking for opinions...
This is just my feeling on the matter. I think there are going to be a generous amount of cuts (at least five). If we get cuts, then I can see ten to fifteen newcomers. The reveal of a Toon Link in the 3DS background makes me think (wrongly or rightly) that he will be cut.

I also think that some returning characters will be reworked a bit. Bowser already has a new way of moving and several new attacks. Pit also reflects his most recent game (except with less dramatic changes). I think this could mean that some characters, like Ganondorf, might be remade to some degree.

The game really looks like it is going for flashy, dynamic moves. Its fresh looks as well as unique A moves that appear as dramatic as B specials, seem to complement my theory.

But so far my roster prediction as been monkey ****. Only got Megaman. So if you didn't already ignore me, you might want to now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think that Toon Link could be replaced with Classic Link as the new "child Link" of SSB4 because of the new 3DS Zelda game.

Young Link = Melee
Toon Link = Brawl
Classic Link = SSB4

I don't think that means much if the TP Link design hasn't been updated to the SS design despite Skyward Sword.

I think we are either likely of getting Young Link or Toon Link back. But that would just be repeating the same argument. Again, lets just wait and see...

D

Deleted member

The audience cheered most at Pit out of all Nintendo newcomers for Brawl, yet he was the least known. I'm not saying Isaac would cause more cheers than Ridley, because he wouldn't, but you can't discount the characters with more niche popularity either as hype bringers.

I can guarantee you just as much as the Grumpy Pepper can, if you keep an open mind and like RPGs, both games will offer you an enjoyable experience. Past their genre, they really aren't very similar anyway.
Isn't GS a lot like Illusion of Gaia? It's what I heard at least...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Know what, I like the Wii Fit Trainer the most out of all newcomers now. Watched the trailer again, and didn't even notice I had a huge ass grin on my face watching it till I saw my reflection. I think I already like her. BUT PLEASE DEAR GOD / JESUS / MUHAMMED / JEHOVA / ALLAH / VISHNU DON'T MAKE THE MII PLAYABLE! :urg:

Golden Sun is an awesome series Manly, you'll probably love it. It's quite, philosophical. And I have a feeling you like that sort of thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The audience cheered most at Pit out of all Nintendo newcomers for Brawl, yet he was the least known. I'm not saying Isaac would cause more cheers than Ridley, because he wouldn't, but you can't discount the characters with more niche popularity either as hype bringers.
Keep in mind that the people attending E3 2006 were adults, not children or teenagers... of course they would cheer for Pit. That's their collective childhood right there even though the modern gamers at the time weren't familiar with Pit at the time. They usually asked for characters from newer games (Krystal, Lyn, Bowser Jr., etc.). That's how I see it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Never said it had to do with popularity, it has to do with first impressions. Standing out is a key factor regardless on how you look at it. Even if you disagree with it, the recently revealed Villager and Wii Fit Trainer do preform that task despite neither exactly being popular. Isaac can be revealed, but you got consider the factors of being able to grab the attention of a very broad audience.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think that Toon Link could be replaced with Classic Link as the new "child Link" of SSB4 because of the new 3DS Zelda game.

Young Link = Melee
Toon Link = Brawl
Classic Link = SSB4
Replacing Toon Link with any other kind of Link would be a step backwards.

Anybody know when E3 winds down for the day? Looks like that rumor has one more day to be proven true before we can safely discard it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer is going to make more people talk about the game than Megaman. That is just how it is. Twitter exploded when she was revealed, and it was already going nuts about smash brothers.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm gonna laugh so hard if Sonic & Snake aren't in this game.
Snake's probably out, but I think Sonic will stay, especially if we get Pac-Man.

I'd be fine with it if they drop him to bring in an actual Nintendo character, though. Rotating third parties sounds like a pretty decent idea.

Wii Fit Trainer is going to make more people talk about the game than Megaman. That is just how it is. Twitter exploded when she was revealed, and it was already going nuts about smash brothers.
Well, she's certainly making more people draw about the game than Megaman.

D

Deleted member

Know what, I like the Wii Fit Trainer the most out of all newcomers now. Watched the trailer again, and didn't even notice I had a huge *** grin on my face watching it till I saw my reflection. I think I already like her. BUT PLEASE DEAR GOD / JESUS / MUHAMMED / JEHOVA / ALLAH / VISHNU DON'T MAKE THE MII PLAYABLE! :urg:

Golden Sun is an awesome series Manly, you'll probably love it. It's quite, philosophical. And I have a feeling you like that sort of thing.

I actually do, I have a huge hard-on for philosophical themes. That's why I praise MGS, and the Matrix, and EVA. I'm the kind of guy who can just sit outside, staring at the clouds pondering the meaning of life and stuff. So when something comes along that makes me question my existence, I love it. Hell, get me riled up and I won't shut up asking people questions with no answers. Alright, I might push for GS soon if it has philosophical themes.

As for WFT. I feel the same way, after watching the reveal trailer, I couldn't help but let out a hearty laugh, it's just such as good troll character. I love the "1-2-3-4" part right after she hit's Mario, Link and Kirby. As well as the ****-eating grin and thumbs up at the end. ****ing priceless.

Agreed on Mii though, thanks but no thanks.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
How do you feel about the undertones for MGSV, Manly? I think it may be the best Metal Gear to date story-wise, based on that trailer. Especially in the Director's Cut.

I cringed when they pulled that package out of that boy's innards in the beginning. Same with the torture scenes, and anything having to do with those children.

Smooth Criminal

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Never said it had to do with popularity, it has to do with first impressions. Standing out is a key factor regardless on how you look at it. Even if you disagree with it, the recently revealed Villager and Wii Fit Trainer do preform that task despite neither exactly being popular. Isaac can be revealed, but you got consider the factors of being able to grab the attention of a very broad audience.
Notice that even the rumored characters (Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man) have something in common with Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mega Man. They are capable of grabbing the attention of a very broad audience.

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii = casual appeal
Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man = retro appeal

Note that the audience attending the E3 events are all adults, not children nor teenagers... so they likely have children and wives/girlfriends who play Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, and Wii Sports while they themselves had childhood memories of playing Mega Man, Punch-Out!!, and Pac-Man. Ultimately, it is all about convincing the gamers to buy SSB4 for themselves and their families.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Honestly the reason why I said that is because pretty much anything can happen at this point, plus the fact that both of them are guest characters and guest characters are usually just exclusive to that game and are never seen again in the sequel.

I just know for a fact someone out there is gonna link the AT description from the Brawl Dojo.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't see why you would think that. Complete non sequitur. Updating his moves to reflect Uprising (especially nice when he was a bit lackluster last game) = Palutena in SSB4? That makes no sense at all, I'm sorry.
That's because you're looking at things superficially. That's not the only reason and frankly, I still see it happening. I'm sorry.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually do, I have a huge hard-on for philosophical themes. That's why I praise MGS, and the Matrix, and EVA. I'm the kind of guy who can just sit outside, staring at the clouds pondering the meaning of life and stuff. So when something comes along that makes me question my existence, I love it. Hell, get me riled up and I won't shut up asking people questions with no answers. Alright, I might push for GS soon if it has philosophical themes.

As for WFT. I feel the same way, after watching the reveal trailer, I couldn't help but let out a hearty laugh, it's just such as good troll character. I love the "1-2-3-4" part right after she hit's Mario, Link and Kirby. As well as the ****-eating grin and thumbs up at the end. ****ing priceless.

Agreed on Mii though, thanks but no thanks.

Well, Golden Sun's main theme is pretty much about the 4 elements, Earth, Fire, Wind and Water. It's characters might not be the deepest personalities ever, (outside of maybe Felix) but you'll love the characters anyway, and their plights / mission. It has some nice strategies involved in boss battles to. And I think you'll love the many deities you'll see as Summons to.

And I bet you'll love this dude:

He talks a lot, but he's awesome.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's important to remember that daily Miiverse photo updates are probably not the same thing as daily Dojo updates. People keep conflating the two with no real evidence to support it.
That's still a ton of updates though, even if they are just pictures. He said that he'd be adding them during his lunch breaks but I imagine that would get tedious after a couple of months, let alone a year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Keep in mind that the people attending E3 2006 were adults, not children or teenagers... of course they would cheer for Pit. That's their collective childhood right there even though the modern gamers at the time weren't familiar with Pit at the time. They usually asked for characters from newer games (Krystal, Lyn, Bowser Jr., etc.). That's how I see it.
By that logic the cheer for Ice Climbers should've been about as loud as Pit's. If being memorable from childhood games directly correlates to the level of the reaction, a character like Wario should've been much louder than Pit. Sure, Pit is older, but he only had two games, and neither were blockbusters or anything. That really doesn't compare to Wario, even if his games were a little later. The people watching Brawl's trailer grew up in the 4th (and even 5th) gen as well as the 3rd, there's no doubt the majority would've been more familiar with Wario from their childhood than Pit.

Plus, again by that logic, many of the people watching the Smash 4 trailer would've grown up around the time Golden Sun came out, so since it was quite big back then... according to you they'd react quite favourably.

Say what you want about Isaac, but you can't deny his moveset potential. He has the capacity to leave as positive a first impression as any other newcomer, if existing popularity is to be discounted.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Well, Golden Sun's main theme is pretty much about the 4 elements, Earth, Fire, Wind and Water. It's characters might not be the deepest personalities ever, (outside of maybe Felix) but you'll love the characters anyway. It has some nice strategies involved in boss battles to. And I think you'll love the many deities you'll see as Summons to.

And I bet you'll love this dude:

He talks a lot, but he's awesome.
That failed image is garet isn't it

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That's because you're looking at things superficially. That's not the only reason and frankly, I still see it happening. I'm sorry.

Then could you please explain your logic instead of just saying that it is so? :ohwell:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm sure Sakurai said 5 days a week for that rather than daily. Not that I have a problem with it. We do need a break from updates from time to time to rebuild hype. After all, having daily updates sometimes can become stale, but when waiting a few days for another update, the hype comes back up a bit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
New avatar to commemorate SSB4's reveal featuring Samus, Link and Pit.

There's one character that would fit well among these three, which I leave up to you to guess whom... :p

If you're lost, check my signature banner.

Also, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager memes are spreading like wildfire...

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman

There's one character that would fit well among these three, which I leave up to you to guess whom... :p

Fit well huh... that means ridley is out cuz hes too big

DonutFinder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theonlyisaac
3DS FC
0533-6566-7593
Know what, I like the Wii Fit Trainer the most out of all newcomers now. Watched the trailer again, and didn't even notice I had a huge *** grin on my face watching it till I saw my reflection. I think I already like her. BUT PLEASE DEAR GOD / JESUS / MUHAMMED / JEHOVA / ALLAH / VISHNU DON'T MAKE THE MII PLAYABLE! :urg:

Jesus I'm scared to play against her now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
By that logic the cheer for Ice Climbers should've been about as loud as Pit's.
Yeah, about that... uh... no one (hyperbolic, I know) cared about the NES game called Ice Climber. We were all about Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Mega Man, even Duck Hunt (only because it came bundled with the awesome Zapper Light Gun). With those quality NES games around, why would we want to bother with a crappy NES game with horrible jumping physics? I cannot really blame them for forgetting about Popo and Nana.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That failed image is garet isn't it

Kraden. He's the one who basically puts most of the philosophy in Golden Sun.

Garet is also awesome. I always liked Garet. Probably cause personality-wise he's much like me. :laugh:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Say what you want about Isaac, but you can't deny his moveset potential. He has the capacity to leave as positive a first impression as any other newcomer, if existing popularity is to be discounted.
He has move set potential, but to grab attention and to make the character more special you have to emphasis his special qualities. In that case, being capable of learning varies Psynergy. If that is not emphasized, he's not going to win over hearts by looks alone. You get what I mean?

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord

I'm guessing Takamaru.
Edit: Lobotheduck beat me to it. :(

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Then could you please explain your logic instead of just saying that it is so? :ohwell:

Ok.
Let's start off how well developed Palutena is as a character in Uprising. She has so much personality that honestly, I can't see Sakurai ignoring her as a potential playable character considering she's is on the same level as Pit in terms of importance in that game. At some point in the game, you get to fight Palutena which makes it easy to make a moveset for. And well, Pit no longer uses the Mirror Shield- give it to Palutena to use. since it is hers anyhow. And Sakurai worked on Uprising, so I wouldn't put it past him to include 1 or 2 playable fighters from that series especially considering Palutena's popularity (if you want to call it that).

I'm not saying that "Oh, Pit doesn't use the shield anymore, Palutena is in!" I think it's hinting at that but also think that Palutena would fit in Smash Bros. perfectly as a second rep for the Kid Icarus series. I see no reason for her not to.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Can't be Ridley, he's too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom