• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regarding to the newcomer situation at the moment, a wise choice would be to pick something much more thrilling as the next choice to compensate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
<3 for Manly's logic.

Also, Captain N Pit looks extremely homosexual.

Megaman looks so stoned, he might be discovering dimensions one has never reached before.

AND ****KK YEA ISAAC!!!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's TP Link for reference. TP Link is more girly.

SS Link is more aloof.

This Link looks more like a hardened warrior. He's got an original look, inspired by both TP and SS, and I'm loving it. Hope we see this as his official look for the new Zelda WiiU.

I don't know really.

His tunic's design looks very similar to the Brawl one which was specifically the one I was talking about. Although he looks a bit brighter and his tunic looks more clean too.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. All I'm saying is if they decided to keep the same models for Link (And possibly Zelda,Sheik and Ganondorf too), I don't really see the point of them changing Toon Link's design to Classic Link then. Especially since unlike TP Link. Toon Link has actually got a remake for the Wii U (and although not actually his game) and all... I guess we will just have to wait and see... :/

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
This is the least specific Link we ever had. Can we move on from this discussion please? For me he's SS and TP Link's love child. Now try and make me think otherwise.

Pro tip: You can't.

Yeah, I see it as a mix of SS and TP.

Also, I'm seeing some people say "Ness is out. Falco is out. Ice Climbers are out" from another place.

In my mind: "****, here we go again."

I don't understand why the team would remove characters wily-nily. Some idiot when on to say "So Villager absorbs attacks. G&W, Ness and Lucas out."

Hun, he puts projectiles in his pocket. And he can throw it back. How does that even have anything to do with Ness or Lucas. Or even G&W.

Then, these people want argue: "The MOTHER series is dead." but, that's false. If it was dead, NoA wouldn't bother bringing it to Wii U VC later this year and for the first time in Europe. Also, it was one of the games in the .30 promotion Wii U VC games. Like, hello? I feel like so many of these people are out of touch and don't really even follow Nintendo. They're either completely immersed in the competetive scene or just play Smash Bros. passively. Hell, I don't see a point in removing key characters that represents Nintendo's history. G&W and ROB, especially. And Ice Climbers, that's not up for debate. They're staying.

As for some of the hate of Wii Fit Trainer, I'm happy she's in it because it's a totally different character and I like people's bad reactions because I find it entertaining. It was a good move for Sakurai to bring in a character that I think represents the successful generation Nintendo had with Wii, and well, Wii Fit was one of those many games. Not every character in Smash Bros. has to be some "star" or anything like that. It's clear that characters are chosen based on the influence and importance they have to Nintendo and its history.

Not this BS of tiers or to cater to the competitive scene that seemingly know nothing about Nintendo. They know who they are.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Or Palutena? That'll get all us KI fans (and those who want another female rep) up and about, and more fanart. You'd be surprised bout how fast fanart from Pixiv appear. Then again, relatively any newcomer we get means new fanart soon to come. You can tell my pattern now, right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something I remembered about Brawl... when Sakurai talked about doing the daily updates he mentioned the reason he started at the time that he did (May 2007) was that the game was far enough in development that he didn't feel like he had to watch over everyone's shoulder all the time to make sure people were doing things right. I don't know if the same applies here but if it does we can probably expect the game by next Spring unless, of course, Sakurai intends to do 260+ week daily updates.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Isaac maybe?

...No, that might not be enough to get the attention from the general audience. Remember the rules of first impressions are very important for people that are not familiar with the characters. Characters like Isaac and Roy might not exactly bring attention, but something like Ridley would.

I still haven't played Golden Sun...

I should get to that someday...

Someday after Xenoblade.
I can guarantee that you'll be disappointed with Golden Sun after playing Xenoblade.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
so what move were you most impressed by in the trailers

one of the newcomers, or a new veteran move

(got to go with that mega buster smash attack)

...just gonna repost this

and link looks so bad***

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Habanero, quit putting that crazy, deranged poop on your toothpaste will ya?
Also, Captain N Pit looks extremely homosexual.
Megaman looks so stoned, he might be discovering dimensions one has never reached before.
AND ****KK YEA ISAAC!!!!
Yeah; pit looks like he flew straight out of a cheesy Valentine's card from the 99 cent store.
Mega Man is probably having a bad 'shroom trip and closed his eyes so he can't see anything, lol.

Here's TP Link for reference. TP Link is more girly.
I'd say he looks younger and more boylike. Not girlish.

D

Deleted member

I don't know really.

His tunic's design looks very similar to the Brawl one which was specifically the one I was talking about. Although he looks a bit brighter and his tunic looks more clean too.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. All I'm saying is if they decided to keep the same models for Link (And possibly Zelda,Sheik and Ganondorf too), I don't really see the point of them changing Toon Link's design to Classic Link then. Especially since unlike TP Link. Toon Link has actually got a remake for the Wii U (and although not actually his game) and all... I guess we will just have to wait and see... :/

Kerfuffle Link has looser clothes like SS Link. And a bulkier frame like OoT Link, TP Link was a sissy twig.

Anyway, the reason I said Toon Link would be changed in look, is because Adult Link is not really the REAL Link, technically, that's Toon Link, because Young Link is the Real Link, and the most common artwork of that Link is the LttP/OoA/OoS/LA Link. They all have a very similar look. In fact Toon Link borrows a lot from that look with the long sleeves and all. So Toon Link is really Classic Link with a more cartoony style, hence why I said his look could change, and 'Toon' just be an Alt Costume. The moveset isn't really WW/Four Sword original if you think about it. Otherwise we'd have the Grapple Hook, Leaf, Four Sword and Gust Jar.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That's what I said too but people insisted that this is Cranky Kong, not Donkey Kong.
Going by that logic, ST stage Link is ST Link while Toon Link is WW Link, which furthers my point: Toon Link and Engineer Link are different characters.

Toon Link's trophy description describes Link as he appeared in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, not mentioned other games with the same art style such as Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures, meaning Toon Link is a specific incarnation of the character.

Meanwhile, Link's trophy description is generic and refers to all Links as one, while Zelda's mentions her roles in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, despite being different Zeldas.

For your reference, here's a link (no pun intended) to SmashWiki's Trophy List: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBB_trophies_(The_Legend_of_Zelda_series)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Something I remembered about Brawl... when Sakurai talked about doing the daily updates he mentioned the reason he started at the time that he did (May 2007) was that the game was far enough in development that he didn't feel like he had to watch over everyone's shoulder all the time to make sure people were doing things right. I don't know if the same applies here but if it does we can probably expect the game by next Spring unless, of course, Sakurai intends to do 260+ week daily updates.

Sakurai had a REALLY small team. There's 3 studios from Namco working on this game including Sora Ltd and I would assume Hal Laboratory. And of course, some of Nintendo's second party studios such as Monolith Soft. A great deal of people are working on this game. And in a Nintendo Direct done in mid 2012, they said they're working with Namco because they wanted to "accelerate" the development process. Nintendo has been known to strangely not provide large teams Sakurai could work with. And I read somewhere that he's picky. Really picky in how he deals with people or who he works with. I mean, I don't blame him.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
maybe the Link they are using is supposed to be the Link for the New Wii U Zelda title. The developers said that they could have shown it off at E3-Direct. But they wanted to wait for some odd reason.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kerfuffle Link has looser clothes like SS Link. And a bulkier frame like OoT Link, TP Link was a sissy twig.

Ah well, this image should prove actually that this is still the same model Link in Brawl but updated in HD. Look what he's holding.

The bomb from Twilight Princess.

Anyway, the reason I said Toon Link would be changed in look, is because Adult Link is not really the REAL Link, technically, that's Toon Link, because Young Link is the Real Link, and the most common artwork of that Link is the LttP/OoA/OoS/LA Link. They all have a very similar look. In fact Toon Link borrows a lot from that look with the long sleeves and all. So Toon Link is really Classic Link with a more cartoony style, hence why I said his look could change, and 'Toon' just be an Alt Costume. The moveset isn't really WW/Four Sword original if you think about it. Otherwise we'd have the Grapple Hook, Leaf, Four Sword and Gust Jar.
I guess so. We will just have to wait and see. But seeing how most models haven't been updated or changed (with the exception of the likes of Samus and Pit etc). I'm still going to stick to the hope that Toon Link is staying unless proven otherwise. :/

D

Deleted member

I can guarantee that you'll be disappointed with Golden Sun after playing Xenoblade.
Yeah, I'm loving the hell out of Xenoblade, but that's not really a fair comparison.

I'll try and approach GS with an open mind for a game of its era, like I did for Illusion of Gaia, and DQ1.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's important to remember that daily Miiverse photo updates are probably not the same thing as daily Dojo updates. People keep conflating the two with no real evidence to support it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not this BS of tiers or to cater to the competitive scene that seemingly know nothing about Nintendo. They know who they are.
Right, 'cause the whole competitive scene is like that.

And you forgot, in your tirade, that there's a whole generation of casual players that are weaning off of a tit of another kind: The modern gaming market. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Smooth Criminal

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Going by that logic, ST stage Link is ST Link while Toon Link is WW Link, which furthers my point: Toon Link and Engineer Link are different characters.

Toon Link's trophy description describes Link as he appeared in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, not mentioned other games with the same art style such as Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures, meaning Toon Link is a specific incarnation of the character.

Meanwhile, Link's trophy description is generic and refers to all Links as one, while Zelda's mentions her roles in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, despite being different Zeldas.

For your reference, here's a link (no pun intended) to SmashWiki's Trophy List: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBB_trophies_(The_Legend_of_Zelda_series)

Spirit Track Links is probably the most specific Link we'll get in this game. :smirk:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Instead of using Palutena's Mirror Shield as his down-B, he's actually using the Orbitars. They also have the same effect, reflecting back at enemies. I don't see why Palutena wouldn't be in it.
I don't see why you would think that. Complete non sequitur. Updating his moves to reflect Uprising (especially nice when he was a bit lackluster last game) = Palutena in SSB4? That makes no sense at all, I'm sorry.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At this point, seeing as with Namco on board for balancing help, and the fact that with the reveals of Villager and "Miss Fit" (love that fan name), do you think it'd be totally out of the picture to see an increase in roster size equivalent to Brawl's, with about 17 or so newcomers? Just looking for opinions...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I was inspired to make this when Mario was first revealed doing that extendable large hand thrust thing:

[collapse=Like wtf]
[/collapse]

Speaking of Samus, I also hope that Ganondorf will be improved. I sometimes liked to play him in Melee, but I can't get into him in Brawl. I kind find him frustrating to play as...maybe it's his slowness idk. Not that I hate slow characters or anything since I do like to play as Bowser.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In general, I do like the artwork better then previous games due to it being painted instead of just simply ripping the model. It generally looks much more smooth.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I hope they bring back wall tethering. The ledge thing was cool but it made some characters in brawl unplayable.

D

Deleted member

I was inspired to make this when Mario was first revealed doing that extendable large hand thrust thing:

[collapse=Like wtf]
[/collapse]

Speaking of Samus, I also hope that Ganondorf will be improved. I sometimes liked to play him in Melee, but I can't get into him in Brawl. I kind find him frustrating to play as...maybe it's his slowness idk. Not that I hate slow characters or anything since I do like to play as Bowser.
Likewise.

Dorf was also high tier in Melee too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
...No, that might not be enough to get the attention from the general audience. Remember the rules of first impressions are very important for people that are not familiar with the characters. Characters like Isaac and Roy might not exactly bring attention, but something like Ridley would.
The audience cheered most at Pit out of all Nintendo newcomers for Brawl, yet he was the least known. I'm not saying Isaac would cause more cheers than Ridley, because he wouldn't, but you can't discount the characters with more niche popularity either as hype bringers.

I can guarantee you just as much as the Grumpy Pepper can, if you keep an open mind and like RPGs, both games will offer you an enjoyable experience. Past their genre, they really aren't very similar anyway.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that Toon Link could be replaced with Classic Link as the new "child Link" of SSB4 because of the new 3DS Zelda game.

Young Link = Melee
Toon Link = Brawl
Classic Link = SSB4

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Opossum- People will probably disagree with this, but I don't think we'll get a bigger roster just because the team is bigger now

I mean, yeah, it's possible and seems ideal considering the increased capital, but I think they'll just focus on making the game itself as best as they can

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same with Mario and Samus. And Link was top of the food chain in Mid Tier. :urg:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
*cough*SamusLinkandLucasrite?*cough*
I meant characters that have only Tethers for recovery options you are right on them but I meant for like Ivysaur/Olimar&pikmin/ZSS. Lucas Link and Samus all have other options for recovering.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but it's not like their recoveries don't suck anyway.

Olimar doesn't need good recovery, much like Falco. Dat stage control...

Zero Suit Samus is actually fine as she is.

Ivysaur though? Poor Ivysaur... :urg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom