• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think the situation is that dire. We've already seen two characters that were completely ruled out and, aside from Megaman, we have yet to see any fan favorites. Even the most popular franchises still have reasonable characters to add (Mario: Bowser Jr, Waluigi, and Toad, DK: K. Rool and Dixie, etc) and there are still a number of franchises that still only have one rep (Metroid, Wario, and Kid Icarus come to the front of my mind). I think a lot of people are outright dismissing a lot of potential characters simply because they're not "cool" like Ridley and Takamaru. A lot of popular characters have already been added but the well is hardly dry, especially when you consider just how expansive the Nintendo universe is. That all being said, I would be genuinely surprised if we got less than 15 newcomers.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maan, I still wonder if Sakurai's even willing to take look at 'em though. What would be his reasoning? I don't think if we see them as potential means Sakurai will.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You really don't believe I want all those characters, do you? I was making a point. If you knew my history, you'd know imagination is not something I lack...
You said that "I don't see that many characters worth adding left", and went on to list about 8 characters, implying that anyone who isn't on that list isn't really worth adding . If you meant something else by that, I'd recommend rewording your post, because as it stands you are saying that past that small group of characters you can't think of others worth adding.

Maan, I still wonder if Sakurai's even willing to take look at 'em though. What would be his reasoning? I don't think if we see them as potential means Sakurai will.
Once again, if Sakurai saw Wii Fit Trainer as a potential inclusion he has looked at literally every possible character. You need to relax a bit, man.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Sadly, Palutena and Bowser Jr are the only newcomers I wanted. It's both good and bad in a sense to have low expectations to me. I'm lazy to explain it atm.

volbound1700

Smash Master
His comment about third parties is that they are hard to add but if they are already working on the game in the case of Namco or developed items/characters for the game in case of Sega than adding additional content isn't difficult.

Same holds true for Capcom now.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You said that "I don't see that many characters worth adding left", and went on to list about 8 characters, implying that anyone who isn't on that list isn't really worth adding . If you meant something else by that, I'd recommend rewording your post, because as it stands you are saying that past that small group of characters you can't think of others worth adding.
"Beyond the eight characters I mentioned there are not many characters that have the same demand."

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I know he did? But I'm just wondering. There'll be some fellas we won't get despite things indicating it's all open for everyone now, just saying. Star brought a good point why.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Heck, even Sakurai's shout out to Mewtwo at the Pokémon round table yesterday gives me hope he'll be improved should he return.

I'm thinkin' he will. my current bets are: Little Mac, Miis, Pac-Man, Dixie Kong, Chrom, and Mewtwo

outside of them, it's anyones game.

pikaknight

Smash Cadet
i think like AT's(advanced techniques) in ssb4 will be the same AT's in brawl. and +more new stuff... and i hope gliding is back, which it probably is because pit is a guaranteed character.

AND if MK makes a return, he probably will be mid-low tier.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Balloon Fighter is my most wanted character for a LONG time. But seeing the Villager with Balloon Fight gear breaks my heart and dreams into a thousand pieces. :sadeyes:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really wish they amp up Assists to something better than Pokeball-knockoffs this time. Or just improve them drastically in a sense that they're not what they were in Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For example, why is someone like Tingle ruled out? Yeah, most people hate him (including me) but the potential is definitely there and his addition would make sense given he's the only other character that's been playable in the LoZ franchise. Would I kind of be upset if he got in? Yes. Do I believe that Sakurai could make him into a fun and enjoyable character to play as? There's not a doubt in my mind.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't think the situation is that dire. We've already seen two characters that were completely ruled out and, aside from Megaman, we have yet to see any fan favorites. Even the most popular franchises still have reasonable characters to add (Mario: Bowser Jr, Waluigi, and Toad, DK: K. Rool and Dixie, etc) and there are still a number of franchises that still only have one rep (Metroid, Wario, and Kid Icarus come to the front of my mind). I think a lot of people are outright dismissing a lot of potential characters simply because they're not "cool" like Ridley and Takamaru. A lot of popular characters have already been added but the well is hardly dry, especially when you consider just how expansive the Nintendo universe is. That all being said, I would be genuinely surprised if we got less than 15 newcomers.
I'm just saying that beyond the obvious suspects there is no one that definitively jumps out. After that you wind up finding yourself in four way Mario arguments.

Found this on GAF:
After exchanging some emails with Sal Romano, I'm entirely confident his source is legitimate. Now we play the waiting game.
He said E3. Hopefully they haven't been pushed back.

We're about half an hour away from when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed yesterday, so hopefully something happens soon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really don't think Shulk and Takamaru are that obvious

I also still don't think Palutena is getting in

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else you have to keep in mind too when it comes in terms of popularity is that most people don't even know a lot of characters who are popular in smash related forums. Of Brawl's cast of 39, 15-16 would not be recognized by most of the people who buy the games. Hell, I remember Adam Sessler infamously commenting that Metaknight was an "obscure character" when the Brawl trailer was released and he's been in almost every new Kirby game since 2002.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
They're at 39 right now if you were to go off the assumption that nobody gets cut. Would they do less than Brawl in terms of new characters? 18 (Brawl's number) would put it at 57 and if you had at least three people cut (Brawl had 5), that would be at least 54. With capabilities of the Wii U, I don't see why they'd aim for less especially since it hasn't explicitly been stated that this was the goal this time around. The only thing that Sakurai said was that he didn't want to just add more characters and stages to draw people to the games. He did make the comments about Brawl's roster size being perfect but he also said the same about Melee before nearly doubling the cast in the Brawl.
Didn't Sakurai make those comments about roster size before he knew what kind of team he was getting? He has such a big team now that I would imagine he would realize that he could have a much bigger roster than he anticipated if he isn't the only one balancing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really don't think Shulk and Takamaru are that obvious

I also still don't think Palutena is getting in
At this point, I'm feeling the same way, but about pretty much everyone. I'm a poll guy, so I know the top ten most wanted Smash4 characters, but at this point, I don't see fan-demand entirely being enough. I also don't see any NPC's that have STICK OUT roles that haven't been added, maybe besides characters like Little Mac, Shulk, and Isaac. Ever think that during Brawl's development we fooled ourselves into thinking "This is why Sakurai picked Metaknight, Wario, Pit ect" when really. he picked them because he just wanted them in/thought they would play cool?

I think interesting playstyle is going to play a large role in the newcomer's shown this year.

@Roster Size

Namco's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has 62 characters, I believe. They can balance the **** out of large rosters.

NatP

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai make those comments about roster size before he knew what kind of team he was getting. He has such a big team now that I would imagine he would realize that he could have a much bigger roster than he anticipated if he isn't the only one balancing.
I actually think, if Smash 4 does end up having a big roster it's because of this. Can you imagine having to single-handedly balance an entire cast of characters?! It's insane, even for Sakurai!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Palutena and Little Mac still seem likely. Or well, at least a second Kid Icarus character. Dark Pit perhaps?

Think that Toad, Dixie and Chrom are the most likely characters now at this point. Still having good hopes for Isaac as well.

@ Shortie: We all DID argue why Sakurai picked Pit, MK and Wario for Brawl. And it all came down to popularity. Even Zero Suit Samus was received well, outside of the Ridley butthurt though. :smirk:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Something else you have to keep in mind too when it comes in terms of popularity is that most people don't even know a lot of characters who are popular in smash related forums. Of Brawl's cast of 39, 15-16 would not be recognized by most of the people who buy the games. Hell, I remember Adam Sessler infamously commenting that Metaknight was an "obscure character" when the Brawl trailer was released and he's been in almost every new Kirby game since 2002.
Which is why characters like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mii make sense. Yet there is no denying that the internet has an influence on the roster too. It's a balancing act, and one which Sakurai has managed to do well for several games now.
I think interesting playstyle is going to play a large role in the newcomer's shown this year.
Waddle Dee fits that bill.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
This. This is the reason we're getting Wii Fit Trainer and why we could get Mii, Pac-Man over Lloyd etc.

It's not even necessarily a bad thing if they balance the "casual" characters and "hardcore" characters right.

Edit: Ninja'd.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ah well, I guess now I'll just put most of my bets on Marshall, Tingle and Toad because uniqueness seems a way to go this time (Unless Toad stays as special for Peach, waugh)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Palutena and Little Mac still seem likely. Or well, at least a second Kid Icarus character. Dark Pit perhaps?

Think that Toad, Dixie and Chrom are the most likely characters now at this point. Still having good hopes for Isaac as well.
If you count as an alternate costume to pit being dark pit, then he'll probably get in

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Have faith in the hawt Goddess. She may not have been in the trailer, but she still may be a later-revealed starter or secret character, and thanks to Pit's changes and the influence of KI:U, she's that likely to appear later. Gonna celebrate if I'm right, knowing that my top 3 characters that I want to use are in. Already got Pit and Bowser, so yea...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Palutena's far from a sure lock, but has good chances due to being a popular and often-requested character that's also very close to Sakurai himself. After all, look at how well the Kirby franchise was treated in Brawl.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Didn't Sakurai make those comments about roster size before he knew what kind of team he was getting. He has such a big team now that I would imagine he would realize that he could have a much bigger roster than he anticipated if he isn't the only one balancing.
Yes, he did. That same interview he jokingly said that if Nintendo couldn't get him enough help he'd have to do one game or the other. I don't see that as a problem now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I now realise Dixie Kong is probably the most likely female newcomer and that pleases me :)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Creepy Villager meme aside, I think this pretty much captures Sakurai's wishy washy tendencies quite well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
/r/ing Just planting your graves.

Cause seriously, that's the best thing yet coming out of the Villager's inclusion in Smash.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
After seeing Palutena's Revolting Dinner, I'm all for her being playable. As far as girls go, I think her, Krystal, and Dixie would make great additions.
I'm real iffy on Krystal. Star Fox having 3 reps is already a bit of a stretch, and 4 reps would be kinda nuts considering how the series is dead in the water right now and has been for some time.

I'd much rather see Sami or (far more likely) Lucina if we want a combat-oriented female character.

Dixie is pretty likely though, although if she gets in K. Rool probably won't.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pit's moveset changing so he doesn't use the Sacred Treasures anymore I'd like to take as a good sign for Palutena. Though that new or revamped flight move does raise some questions.

I actually saved the data from the days they had the Uprising videos onto my computer. Now I can reload them back onto my 3DS at any time to watch again. :cool:

Just finished watching that video with Mr. R & Twinkie, not the best commentary when it comes to content (I face palmed when they mistook Dr. Wily's Castle for something Wario Ware/Land related and said that WFT could replace ZS Samus). Definitely hilarious to see their comments on Villager and Mega Man, which was more or less that they look like they could become top tier. They definitely did note that Bowser and Pit got some possible buffs while that Samus could be closer to her Melee self.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm jealous of gif now. I wish I could request a render recolor, and special sig, or even an avy. I'm starting to get more jealous as I see the other characters get more love. D:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I honestly don't think Wolf's going to stick around. Of the people currently on the hypothetical chopping block (most people argue Lucas, Lucario, Wolf, Ike, and Snake), he seems the most expendable given his moveset. We basically have two semi-clones of Fox as it stands anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom