• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If Palutena doesn't get in outright, I'd love to see her more directly involved in Pit's Final Smash.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Even if they're are cut characters, they can always return via DLC

on the rumor

Pac-Man (alright)
Little Mac (pretty cool)
Mii (with villager as well?)
I see DLC as being a way for them to not have to cut characters in the first place.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pit's final smash is good considering it's directly from the games, when he gets all the angels from the level and they help him fight off the boss

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I see DLC as being a way for them to not have to cut characters in the first place.
I really want confirmation on whether or not they will be doing DLC characters. I can see Sakurai not wanting to commit to the game for that long, but DLC characters (properly done and fairly priced) would be fantastic for a game like Smash. If you've got characters from a relatively popular series like Advance Wars that maybe aren't popular enough to secure a spot in the main release, you can sell them directly to the fanbase.

I'm currently not expecting DLC characters, but it'd be a welcome surprise.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Exactly. Look at the drastic changes to Bowser and Pit. This would have been unheard of in Brawl. I think there's now a real chance for improvement. Sakurai's huge team ON TOP of the fact that they essentially copied Brawl and are building on top of it gives them a HELL of a lot more resources than we're imagining here.
I think this time around SSB4 will be a more comparable game than Brawl, and dare I say......................... Melee as well :awesome:
Sakurai already has said that he is having the Tekken guys help him when it comes to balancing, so it can only be better. After all they do know a thing or two about fighting games.
And the Tekken producer has even acknowledged the competitive community. So we can expect the game to fun to play casually and have that depth for competitive guys.

Source: http://gamerant.com/tekken-producer-smash-bros/

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If Sakurai would say there would be DLC characters, people wouldn't worry about the roster and wouldn't ***** about his taste in unconventional characters.

Edit: If he knows he is going to do it, it'd be very useful to express that ASAP, rather than hold onto that fact as a surprise.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I already feel like the casual side of Nintendo is already well represented with these trailers having both Villager and WFT. WFT covers the Wii side of things while Villager covers the randomness in his moveset from different things you do in the game. I don't really want Mii's in as well just because it would be another generic character who really I only see adding customization. While that's all fine and dandy, I want a CHARACTER. Nobody goes around saying my favorite character is Mii, or WFT, or Villager. They say their favorite character is Mario, or Link, or Megaman.

I just hope they're not putting too much emphasis on casual gaming rather than the more standard gaming style. Still, it's way too early to make this call from just 3 reveals. I just find it strange that for E3 that they choose that combination for their trailer. I highly doubt there would be as much uproar over WFT inclusion if she was like the 12th confirmed newcomer. People want to see their favorite characters included first before seeing a bunch of WTF characters.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
If Sakurai said there would be DLC characters, people wouldn't worry about the roster and wouldn't ***** about his taste in unconventional characters.
No, they'd find something else to whinge about starting with potentially unbalancing the game later and the fact they'd have to buy DLC.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If Sakurai would say there would be DLC characters, people wouldn't worry about the roster and wouldn't ***** about his taste in unconventional characters.
Yeah, exactly.

While that's all fine and dandy, I want a CHARACTER.
Couldn't agree more.

I just hope they're not putting too much emphasis on casual gaming rather than the more standard gaming style. Still, it's way too early to make this call from just 3 reveals. I just find it strange that for E3 that they choose that combination for their trailer. I highly doubt there would be as much uproar over WFT inclusion if she was like the 12th confirmed newcomer. People want to see their favorite characters included first before seeing a bunch of WTF characters.
WFT generated a massive ****storm. She was a great pick for E3.

Personally, I'd rather get the weird picks out of the way first and then move on to picks I like. I want my hype to increase, not stutter, as we come closer to release.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I really want confirmation on whether or not they will be doing DLC characters. I can see Sakurai not wanting to commit to the game for that long, but DLC characters (properly done and fairly priced) would be fantastic for a game like Smash. If you've got characters from a relatively popular series like Advance Wars that maybe aren't popular enough to secure a spot in the main release, you can sell them directly to the fanbase.

I'm currently not expecting DLC characters, but it'd be a welcome surprise.
Like I said, I see it as a way for them to not have to cut characters and keep their schedule on track. Example: imagine if like Brawl, instead of being forced to remove Mewtwo and Roy -- as speculated -- in order to include Sonic the Hedgehog he just opted to include them in the game later as DLC. That is how I see DLC for Super Smash Bros functioning. There won't be some crazy amount of characters added after the fact, obviously, but I can see a couple, especially if there are plans for platform specific characters.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
If megaman made it in then Geno can too. Just saying. Anyway, dlc is a bad idea because it would make the game enormous and bloated. There would be way too much to do about balancing, and, while i wouldmlove to see all the characters i want to see, i realize that a limited cast is part of what makes a fighting game interesting. I also think that the 3ds version would not be able to hold a ton of characters even if they were downloadable. While dlc would be fun, i think the only stuff we would see would be stages and items.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If megaman made it in then Geno can too. Just saying. Anyway, dlc is a bad idea because it would make the game enormous and bloated.
Not necessarily. If done right DLC characters can still be balanced quite properly. Also, with a roster approaching 50 characters, what's one or two more?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The idea of DLC for Smash Bros leaves a bad taste in my mouth largely because it forces developers to work on a game even after they're ready to move on and considering how long Smash games take to develop in comparison to most fighters...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Mega Man being in says nothing about Geno's likelihood.
Given the immense demand for Mega Man, I'd be inclined to agree. Mega Man was actually for my money one of the surest locks for a new rep. Huge demand and Nintendo needed a way to generate massive hype.

The idea of DLC for Smash Bros leaves a bad taste in my mouth largely because it forces developers to work on a game even after they're ready to move on and considering how long Smash games take to develop in comparison to most fighters...
Well, I'd only expect Sakurai to do it if he wanted to keep working on Smash. Nintendo certainly shouldn't force him to put out DLC.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While that's all fine and dandy, I want a CHARACTER.

People want to see their favorite characters included first before seeing a bunch of WTF characters.
Beware Wii Fit Trainer's thumb. It makes fanboys butthurt.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Why would anyone want to move on and away from Smash? It boggles my mind. :confused:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
WFT generated a massive ****storm. She was a great pick for E3.

Personally, I'd rather get the weird picks out of the way first and then move on to picks I like. I want my hype to increase, not stutter, as we come closer to release.
I agree that she generating quite a large amount of discussion. It's been 24 hours and internet memes are flying out her ***. But at the same time, she generating a lot of uncertainty in the roster. This might have been slightly more tolerable if she was a character that was at least somewhere in the spectrum of expected or wanted but she was neither.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sakurai has enough autonomy that if he doesn't want to work on the game beyond what he already has planned he doesn't have to.
But at the same time, she generating a lot of uncertainty in the roster. This might have been slightly more tolerable if she was a character that was at least somewhere in the spectrum of expected or wanted but she was neither.
That's what makes her so appealing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't want DLC. I want SSB5. I want SSB4 as it is... not keep it on life support with DLC. I don't want to run out of potential characters for SSB5 just because they are all in SSB4 that there's no point in making SSB5.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't think DLCs would require the whole team that made the original game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I agree that she generating quite a large amount of discussion. It's been 24 hours and internet memes are flying out her ***. But at the same time, she generating a lot of uncertainty in the roster.
Mostly due to overreaction, honestly. We've had a WTF pick for two games now and those rosters turned out just fine and fairly predictable.

Also, as noted, her generating uncertainty in the roster is yet another argument for announcing her early, as she generates a ton of discussion.

I don't want DLC. I want SSB5. I want SSB4 as it is... not keep it on life support with DLC. I don't want to run out of potential characters for SSB5 just because they are all in SSB4 that there's no point in making SSB5.
There is no way in hell that Nintendo could ever run out of potential good newcomers for a SSB game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It doesn't but so much work is already poured into the Smash games that I'm sure everyone is mentally exhausted once it's all said and done.
Most likely, but as observed, I don't think anybody will force Sakurai and his team to do DLC. And if they want to do DLC, what's the problem?

volbound1700

Smash Master
They may take a break for a year or so and want to come back and do DLC. Expansion packs are common in the PC world and usually worked on after the game has taken affect. They don't just add material to the game but often address annoyances with the game as well.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Nintendo can probably set a world record for most money made from DLC in a home console game (not PC) with SSB4. So yes, I'd say DLC is inevitable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously, I won't ever bother with Sony and Microsoft cause I'll never gonna buy those systems anyway. :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm no fanboy. Besides, Playstations and Xboxes are way too expensive.

Also, I don't care about opinions.

DKCR2 and Smash convinced me trying to get a Wii U. Wasn't even sure about it before.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Mostly due to overreaction, honestly. We've had a WTF pick for two games now and those rosters turned out just fine and fairly predictable.
The difference with those two is the fact that the WTF characters of those games gave off the more gamey feeling while Wii Fit for a lot of people is one of those games that's not really a game but sort of a casual appliance. And with Pokemon trainer, that's almost completely different because he was liked overwhelmingly instant but just not thought to be a true contender before his reveal. It's not that she generated uncertainty that is bad but rather she generated bad uncertainty. She has people questioning the roster but not for what cool new character Sakurai will add next but more of I hope he doesn't have too many characters like her cause I really want *insert character here* to be included.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, today's Super Smash Bros Miiverse update confirms every new character will have their own artwork. I like this idea a lot. Probably means they all get their own trailer too. Looks like Sakurai will be taking a page out of Marvel Vs. Capcom's playbook.

I also realized we did not talk about Megaman music when he was revealed. I'm so ashamed.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The difference with those two is the fact that the WTF characters of those games gave off the more gamey feeling while Wii Fit for a lot of people is one of those games that's not really a game but sort of a casual appliance.
Hell, Wii Fit Trainer is more of a "gamey" character than ROB, really. Sure, he's a robot, but Smash has plenty of bog-standard humans.

Pokemon Trainer isn't a WTF character at all in my eyes, although I'm going by the definition of "a completely unexpected and highly controversial character".

Well, today's Super Smash Bros Miiverse update confirms every new character will have their own artwork. I like this idea a lot. Probably means they all get their own trailer too. Looks like Sakurai will be taking a page out of Marvel Vs. Capcom's playbook.
Real glad about that! This is a great sign for people like me hoping for some awesome, in-depth crossover cinematics in the single player mode. Something like MvC3's cinematic trailers but actually in the freaking game this time.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Seriously, I won't ever bother with Sony and Microsoft cause I'll never gonna buy those systems anyway. :smirk:

I'm with you there, even though I have a Ps1 and a Ps2 for a LONG TIME, I won't bother with them both, but I still think Sony is at least something you could spend your money on and their presentation was good. Xbox one, however, will never touch in a million years, it is just...idiotic.
I mean look at it, they make it look and play like it is a Cable box,

That's why I am sticking with my Wii U for now, all those nintendo games (and Sonic Lost World) will be mine...especially SmashBros 4 and totally getting Mario 3d world.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually I am planning on getting a PS3 next, I like PS3 over the new Xbox and new PS4. In fact PS3 as a console seems like one of the best with the graphics, blueray, etc. Not sure why it struggled out the gate in this past gen.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm no fanboy. Besides, Playstations and Xboxes are way too expensive.

Also, I don't care about opinions.

DKCR2 and Smash convinced me trying to get a Wii U. Wasn't even sure about it before.
Agreed. WiiU actually looks worth the purchase now.

I never owned a PS3, and I never cared for Sony... until I saw that press conference. I probably won't ever buy a PS4, but I'll have my friend bring his over all the time when he buys it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom