• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Villager really caught me off-guard. But I don't really get why he was picked. (-´A`-);;;

I mean he looks funny, but if these sort of characters are what Sakurai seemingly loves to pick... geez...

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't think having an Awakening stage really confirms or denies anything as far as FE characters go lol

I mean, I expected a new FE stage to come from that game

I don't think anything's changed because of this

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I don't get the Villager hate, he did SO many different neat things in that trailer as moves that it is ridiculous. He looks insanely fun! :chuckle:

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Villager really caught me off-guard. But I don't really get why he was picked. (-´A`-);;;

I mean he looks funny, but if these sort of characters are what Sakurai seemingly loves to pick... geez...
It might partly be because of the crazy speculation when Brawl was being released regarding Animal Crossing having a stage and an icon in the game but no character... honestly a lot of people wanted one, and a lot of people lobbied for Villager. I like it. It's a fun addition. I'm sure we'll have some more "serious" ones but he's a nice addition in a sort of Ice Climber kind of way.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm loving the wrestling ring stage and this new art style, nice they went the Smash 64 route with the graphics.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Definitely was surprised with the Villager, but then again it's another example of Sakurai coming back to an old idea. Am definitely glad it was the Villager and not something weird like Tom Nook or Mr. Resetti.

Can't wait to start reading all the new interviews and seeing Capcom's take on finally showing Mega Man some love (was this their big E3 surprise?).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Villager makes all the sense in the world. If it weren't for Sakurai saying that THING about him, people would have been expecting him completely all this time.

It's an even happier coincidence that they got to reveal Villager on the heels of New Leaf's release. Two great things coming together like that. Amazing.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
By the way, the Balloon helmet is unlikely to be an item. With all the different head/body shapes in Smash, wearable items like that just don't work.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
YES YES YES MEGAMAN AND VILLAGER
I'm satisfied. Was hoping for more newcomers, but I guess they can wait.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, at least in his case though, there is more than one ROB.

But more than one Chrom...? It doesn't mean a whole lot, just doesn't LOOK good.
More than one Link, you mean?

I'll point out again that Tron Bonne does appear in the background of a stage in MvC3 if she isn't being played, and there sure as heck isn't more than one of her. Toon Link being in the background certainly is a bit worrying, but we can't make any assumptions as to whether this confirms or deconfirms him.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm loving the wrestling ring stage and this new art style, nice they went the Smash 64 route with the graphics.
I just hop the boxing glove doesn't represent Lil Mac the way Villagers balloon fighter recovery represents balloon fighter

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
i don't know if it was intentional but i liked how the trailer started off as an animal crossing trailer instead of smash one. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! :crying:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Beyond gameplay, this trailer could be grounds to support the theory of fewer newcomers being added. However, until we receive proof otherwise, I'll throw out that Sakurai is taking the opposite approach from Brawl, revealing all of the obvious veterans early and saving more juicy surprises for later.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Since the boxing ring seems to be a normal Smash stage, and Villager has boxing gloves... I don't know if that bodes well for Mac. :nervous:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
i don't know if it was intentional but i liked how the trailer started off as an animal crossing trailer instead of smash one. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! :crying:
Haha, yeah. I hope that they do videos that detailed for all the newcomers. Probably a pipe dream, though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yeah, since the trailer appears on Villager's page, and it did have some special pandering to him, I wonder if this means we'll see more reveal trailers for newcomers? Mega Man's was separated onto his own page as well.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Since the boxing ring seems to be a normal Smash stage, and Villager has boxing gloves... I don't know if that bodes well for Mac. :nervous:
If we can have 182982937237 characters with swords, why can't we have two with boxing gloves? :p

They wouldn't reveal it to be a Punch-Out! stage in preview screenshots prior to announcing Little Mac if he's in. I'm not worried.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh yeah, since the trailer appears on Villager's page, and it did have some special pandering to him, I wonder if this means we'll see more reveal trailers for newcomers? Mega Man's was separated onto his own page as well.

I would love this. They should do it!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we can have 182982937237 characters with swords, why can't we have two with boxing gloves? :p

They wouldn't reveal it to be a Punch-Out! stage in preview screenshots prior to announcing Little Mac if he's in. I'm not worried.

They obviously could have both, it just seems like Sakurai wouldn't give Villager boxing gloves and emphasize it in pictures and stuff, as it'd take away from Mac's thunder. Ofc he could (and probably will) still happen, just odd.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

The point is that the boxing glove is a distinct and unique feature, it isn't exactly a parallel to draw with the swords. You can be right of course, but I thought I might point out that the circumstances are somewhat distinct. To have a newcomer using this new thing in their set and showing it off, and then another who solely uses this new thing is revealed later, is strange. Counting the fact that the boxing ring is Smash themed, which again doesn't necessarily mean anything (I find it pretty convincing honestly), it just adds on to the suspicion.

By all means bring him into Smash, I don't mind him. plus he's on my prediction roster because you guys like him so much

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
So, someone pointed this out on another forum.

I doubt this means we'll get fewer characters, but I'm kinda nervous.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nice to see that Pit got an Upperdash Arm as a possible new Dash Attack, hopefully it'll help him out in the killing moves department.

Also I have no idea how the Miracle of Flight as a new move will work, it certainly has a lot less staring lag than Wings of Icarus/Pegasus and it looks downright faster with it being more diagonal. Not to mention this could imply no Palutena.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know about you guys but I actually appreciate how they did the trailer. They only revealed 11 characters with only one of them being unlockable so that means that the Dojo will be able to build up more hype with the progressive updates. Remember how Brawl had 11 characters confirmed too before the its Dojo updates? Get ready for some late nights again, ladies and gentlemen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I'm positive they'll add more rows when more characters are revealed, this is just the default considering we only have 11 characters. Plus it kinda makes sense like this, newcomers, 64 vets, Melee vet, and Brawl vet.

I don't know about you guys but I actually appreciate how they did the trailer. They only revealed 11 characters with only one of them being unlockable so that means that the Dojo will be able to build up more hype with the progressive updates. Remember how Brawl had 11 characters confirmed too before the its Dojo updates? Get ready for some late nights again, ladies and gentlemen.
Yeah, I'm also hoping the majority of the newcomers will end up being unlockable, akin to Melee. I suppose it might depend on when it releases in 2014, as they would need to stretch the hype out and keep it going with sporadic newcomer announcements.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace

I was waiting for something like this. They probably wouldn't make a third page for blankness (also because you'd go we're officially getting THAT many too). I think we may have fewer, it's possible, but not that many fewer.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mega Man looks perfect to me, I'm super happy he got in. That being said... The villager's shtick of pulling out random non-combat items seems very similar to G&W's. They even showed the Villager absorbing a projectile. He looks fun, but I really hope he isn't too similar to G&W.

... man, I'm sleep deprived. Couldn't fall asleep and had to wake up before 7AM to watch the laggy direct... Stupid pacific coast, grumble.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Today is a good day to be alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.