• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
How bout them collapse tags. Yeah, everybody likes them collapse tags.
A reboot with 40 characters doesn't sound like much of a reboot. Try something like 20, it's not as hard as you think.
Yup, just the most iconic characters from the most relevant games.

D

Deleted member

Lyn only got 39 votes.
Anna 26 votes.

Chrom beats them with 51 votes.

Lucina and Bayonetta didn't even rank, yet Rosalina, a Peach clone ranked at 48 with 25 votes.

And if Banjo's actually a choice, people still vote Megaman, Banjo didn't even make the top 10.

Why are people so boring? You're given superior options, but you don't take them.

At least we can say that the poll just started less than twelve hours ago with 160 votes, so the results are far from solidified.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
A reboot with 40 characters doesn't sound like much of a reboot. Try something like 20, it's not as hard as you think.
I guess it depends on what you're going for with a reboot. I mean, Marvel 3's roster is mostly characters that weren't in the previous games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah I'd hate that to. I'd be willing to do a 40 character reboot discussion however since it has been brought up already.

My more realistic reboot roster:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Wario
Yoshi

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K.Rool

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Impa

Pikachu
Pokémon Trainer
Mewtwo
Lucario

Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

Marth
Ike
Lyn

Fox
Falco
Wolf

Ness
Lucas

Captain Falcon
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Isaac
Little Mac
Pit
Takamaru
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.

And I think we've reached a very conservative number from Brawl's roster, yet adding in quite a few newcomers that'd be well received.
Where are the Kirby characters? Did you forget them or this rebooted roster has no Kirby characters?

Your Impa bias is so big that you think she would get in the roster over Kirby?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Where are the Kirby characters? Did you forget them or this rebooted roster has no Kirby characters?

Your Impa bias is so big that you think she would get in the roster over Kirby?
:laughs:

I sort of forget Kirby sometimes too, not because I dislike him or the series, but just because I sort of feel like the Kirby trio is implied in Smash now. I couldn't picture it without them. Maybe I'm alone?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So what's your idea for a reboot? :?:
My idea is to Stomp on a fun little hypothetical discussion and question the necessity of the idea and probably call those who support it names.

FALKOOPA HUH MORE LIKE FALL DOWN SOME STAIRS KOOPA HAHA I don't mean it.

D

Deleted member

Rebooted roster seem interestingly normal roster with two/three changes. You guys have no imagination.
This, so much. If we're gonna reboot the only givens are:

Mario
Link
Samus
Kirby
Marth
Pikachu

MAYBE C.Falcon and Fox.

Not to mention reboot implies they get TOTALLY different movesets than in the previous games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes I forgot the Kirby characters, didn't rule them out on purpose.

Manly where DK at on your roster?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Let's try a reboot roster which blows (even though it's a reboot with the same Smash mechanics) I also consider this to be made by Nintendo-only.

1) Mario & Yoshi (oh no you didn't). New moveset: up-B is the cape, it works like in Mario Bros. 3. Never got why in Smash is side-B, makes no sense. Normal B stays the same. Down-B too even though it remembers more the Galaxy move. Side-B throws a shell.
Final smash puts Mario on Yoshi, becoming a new character. You can select them in the menu though if you want. Normal B is swallow, you can do that to opponents or items, you press B again to launch them out (like flames if items). Up B is the same but now you can aim better like in the Yoshi's Island series. Down B it's still the same. Side-B too because I can't think of any better.

2) Luigi. Complete revamped moveset with Poltergust 5000 you can see in my signature. Luigi's Mansion "feel".

3) Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong. Smash moves are based on Diddy (he shoots for example), specials on DK. The specials are basically the same except Up+B which resembles the jump from Country Returns. Side-B launches Diddy which goes in a rampage for a bit.

4) Link. He's very well done so a few things change. Some smashes involve other items (I imagine down smash to be his giant Hammer, a spike).

5) Kirby. Him too can be the same.

6) Pikachu. Ditto. No I mean, he's the same. He's not Ditto. Whatever. Final smash turns him into Raichu, similar moveset but different stats.

7) Samus Aran. Again, I think she's perfect in Smash. Only the normal B works a little different, since she can charge while moving and the shot is smaller, similar to the Metroid games itself. Also different outfits = different beam.

8) Fox McCloud. Up-B is the arwing. Yep, an arwing appears an makes a little swing in the air and Fox just STANDS ON IT LIKE THE COOL MOTHER****A HE IS (something like this http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120302203624/ssb/images/6/6c/Landmaster_(Falco)_Trophy.png). Side-B is a sniper. Blaster and Reflector can stay.

9) Shulk. Can't really tell the moveset since I played nearly two hours of Xenoblade. Basically he's the new Ike though.

10) Mr. Resetti. Annoying/hide and seek character. His down-B makes him go down into the ground and moving for a bit, untouched, for example. Normally he stands out of the ground though.

11) Mii. His moveset involves using Nintendo peripherals like the Zapper, the Powerglove, and even the Virtual Boy. Watch AVGN's R.O.B. episode to have an idea. HE'S NOT customizable, only the look anyway, not the moves.

12) Chrom. Basically the new Marth, because GUYS MARTH WON'T BE IN THIS REBOOT OMG.

13) Sheriff. Mr. Retro himself. Every move is shoot in different direction. Joke character.

14) One of the new Pikmin's captains. Same Olimar moveset kinda, but with the new Pikmins also.

15) Banjo-Kazooie. It's the perfect reboot so it's even in the perfect alternate timeline in which Banjo is still Nintendo's. You can pretty much imagine the moveset. Side-B shoots eggs, down-B is the Peak spike, up-B makes them fly, normal-B makes Banjo use Kazooie has a weapon.

16) Mach Rider. Futuristic shooter with a revamped moveset. I imagine him with a new look, more steampunk also.

17) Pit. Revamped. Down-B makes him change weapon/moveset to make him more similar to Uprising (like using a Club, or an Arrow, or a Stick).

18) Peach. She's here for the ladies. She's good in Smash so she can be almost the same. That side-smash gotta go though, it's stupid.

19) Captain Falcon. Revamped moveset which makes him look even more ridiculous than he is. He's basically a superhero and acts like one.

20) Professor Layton & Luke. Kikwi-Kiwi's moveset is good, go check it out.

21) Phoenix Wright. Another joke character with an over the top moveset based on objections and such.

22) Alexandra Roivas. Check out my moveset in the signature.

23) Porky on his mecha. Because **** you that's why.

24) Zelda. Sheik is out only because it's the reboot. Revamped moveset which makes her more interesting.

25) Dillon. Sonic-like moveset but with dynamite and pistols. Pretty fast character.

26) The ZombiU survivor to piss everybody off. Look at my signature.

27) Paper Mario. Again, my signature.

And that's it. 1 LIKE 1 RESPECT

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's happening already. So many new people. Soon I'll feel all like this around here...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
IF Sonic returns I expect him to be to revealed in the Dojo after a bunch of updates. I don't think a bombshell announcement in a Nintendo direct during E3 would have the same effect Snake had since Sonic would be a returning character.
It's happening already. So many new people. Soon I'll feel all like this around here...
That meme chick is actually pretty when she's not making that stupid stalker face. I don't mind the new people; they seem alright so far.

Not to mention reboot implies they get TOTALLY different movesets than in the previous games.
Why not a complete game change? Like an arcade beat-em up, a crossover action tactics RPG (like PXZ) or a traditional 2D fighter. Reboot the entire concept of the ultimate Nintendo crossover!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why not a complete game change? Like an arcade beat-em up, a crossover action tactics RPG (like PXZ) or a traditional 2D fighter. Reboot the entire concept of the ultimate Nintendo crossover!
Yeah, those would be more fitting reboot ideas.

Something like PXZ with Smash would be awesome. Assume we have teams of two with some standalone characters like PXZ, which would be the roster? It could keep us entertained while we wait for more SSB4 news, don't you think? I'll make my roster later editing this post, so stay tuned.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oasis is right when he says people calling for a "reboot" are misguided. Ask yourselves this question: what is there to reboot? The roster? Most of the characters that already exist in Super Smash Bros were at one point popular requests or significant players in their own series. So why cut them? For token diversity? No matter how many characters you cut, if Sakurai does not feel a character is worth a spot (as he did with many of the AT characters), then little will change his mind. Gameplay? You can fix that without having to ax half the roster - which does not directly address the game play issues that are pressing.

I sincerely hope Nintendo collaborates (since they seem to like doing that these days) with Capcom to create Nintendo Vs. Capcom. That way, the Wii U can have a classic fighting game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
About 300 votes on the poll (note there is a lot more characters outside the Top 50, over 100):

1.Mewtwo 220
2.Megaman 194
3.Ridley 169
4.King K. Rool 165
5.Roy 163
6.Bowser Junior 125
7.Little Mac (Punch Out) 122
8.Banjo & Kazooie 106
9.Palutena 104
10.Isaac (Golden Sun) 104
11.Paper Mario 101
12.Krystal 97
13.Waluigi 92
14.Chrom 92
15.Shulk (Xenoblade) 87
16.Dixie Kong 85
17.Majora (Skull Kid) 83
18.Samurai Goroh 80
19.2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 78
20.Toad 78
21.Black Shadow 73
22.Bomberman 73
23.Dark Samus 67
24.Pac-Man 67
25.King Boo 66
26.Doctor Mario 65
27. Lyn 65
28. Ghirahim 61
29. Kingdom Hearts (Sora) 61
30. Mii (Wii Series) 60
31. Rayman 60
32. 6th Gen Pokemon 59
33.Toon Zelda 59
34.Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 59
35.Kamek 58
36.Crono Trigger (Crono) 58
37.Super Mario RPG (Geno, Mallow) 57
38.Viewtiful Joe 56
39.Tom Nook (Animal Crossing 55
40.Balloon Fighter 54
41.Ray MK (Custom Robo) 54
42.Rosalina 52
43.Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 52
44.Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 52
45.Final Fantasy (Chocobo, Black Mage, Moogle, Cloud, Lightning) 50
46.Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 49
47.Zoroark 47
48.Medusa 47
49.Eevee (and Eveelutions) 46
50.Dark Pit 46

Top 50 characters by series:

Mario:
Bowser Jr. (125)
Paper Mario (101)
Waluigi (92)
Toad (78)
King Boo (66)
Dr. Mario (65)
Super Mario RPG: Geno/Mallow (57)
Rosalina (52)

Donkey Kong:
K. Rool (165)
Dixie Kong (85)

Zelda:
Majora/Skull Kid (83)
Ghirahim (61)
Toon Zelda (59)

Metroid:
Ridley (169)
Dark Samus (67)

Yoshi:
Kamek (58)

Kirby:
None

Star Fox:
Krystal (97)

Pokemon:
Mewtwo (220)
6th Generation Pokemon (59)
Pokemon Trainer: Johto (52)
Pokemon Trainer: Hoenn (49)
Zoroark (47)
Eevee and Eeeveelutions (46)

F-Zero:
Samurai Goroh (80)
Black Shadow (73)

Mother:
None

Fire Emblem:
Roy (163)
Chrom (92)
Lyn (65)

Wario:
None

Pikmin:
None

Kid Icarus:
Palutena (104)
Medusa (47)
Dark Pit (46)

New series:
Little Mac (122)
Isaac (104)
Shulk (87)
Mii (60)
Tom Nook (55)
Ray MK (54)

Retro:
Takamaru (59)
Balloon Fighter (54)

Third-Party:
Mega Man (194)
Banjo and Kazooie (106)
2nd Sonic Character (78)
Bomberman (73)
Pac-Man (67)
Sora (61)
Rayman (60)
Crono (58)
Viewtiful Joe (56)
Castlevania Character (52)
Final Fantasy Character (50)

I am surprised to see so much interest for Kamek. That there is more interest for a Yoshi newcomer than anyone from Kirby, Mother, or Wario (or at least right now) is curious. Also, interesting how the two retro characters with the most support are ones who had their own attractions in Nintendo Land.

Dr. Mario is also very high up despite supposedly being a "hated clone". Surprised to see how competitive Toon Zelda is with Ghirahim.

The Top 50 is definitely going to see profound changes as more votes come in.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Oasis is right when he says people calling for a "reboot" are misguided. Ask yourselves this question: what is there to reboot? The roster? Most of the characters that already exist in Super Smash Bros were at one point popular requests or significant players in their own series. So why cut them? For token diversity? No matter how many characters you cut, if Sakurai does not feel a character is worth a spot (as he did with many of the AT characters), then little will change his mind. Gameplay? You can fix that without having to ax half the roster - which does not directly address the game play issues that are pressing.
No one is calling for a reboot; we're just kicking around ideas that would be cool ways of refreshing the concept, the roster or character game play. I'm sure most people here wouldn't make big changes to the Smash formula. Stop trippin' maaan.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am surprised to see so much interest for Kamek. That there is more interest for a Yoshi newcomer than anyone from Kirby, Mother, or Wario (or at least right now) is curious.
I think that the Kamek thread being recently revived might have contributed in part.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think that the Kamek thread being recently revived might have contributed in part.
I doubt that had much to do with it. Anna had a really active support topic yet she basically has the same amount of votes as Lucina. Speaking of them, I have a hunch that they are basically cannibalizing each other among the "we need a female FE13 character" demographic.

I think its due to how iconic and popular Yoshi's Island was, and how popular the sub-group of magikoopas as a Mario enemy are. Kamek being a re-occurring main antagonist for the Yoshi series also really helps.

Still say I am surprised with how well Dr. Mario is doing so far. I think with the amount of interest there is for him, and how little effort it would need, he should be made into a costume or EX character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well the thing that does surprise me is Banjo & Kazooie being so high up. It's probably attributed by those characters being fan favorites since Melee, but it surprises me that it's holding up to this day.

Of course the characters showing up is not going to happen because of Microsoft throwing Rare in the dungeon.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I can never understand why people would want to SO DESPERATELY throw a bone to the Yoshi series and add Kamek. He's kind of like Goroh but... exponentially worse. Gosh, worse than Waluigi really. It's hard to think of a better example of "just because" character. "Since Sakurai thought it'd be cute to give Yoshi a little egg symbol, let's misinterpret that as Yoshi being a poorly represented series and add Kamek just because."

D

Deleted member

And then there's the fact people misinterpret Kamek as the main villain of the series, when that's Baby Bowser (except when adult Bowser goes back in time to cause mayhem).

But no....Baby Bowser is clone, so Kamek is 110% betters!!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, surprised how little interest there is for newcomer Nintendo series:

New series:
Little Mac (122)
Isaac (104)
Shulk (87)
Mii (60)
Tom Nook (55)
Ray MK (54)

Retro:
Takamaru (59)
Balloon Fighter (54)

Really, only Little Mac, Isaac, and Shulk are really popular choices.

I was expecting Dillon to be within the Top 50 with how much talk there is about him.

Ray being in the Top 50 is a bit of a surprise considering the hiatus the Custom Robo series has been in since 2006/2007.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isaac and Little Mac = yes. Shulk = still not convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom