• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Oh neat, music. Have no idea what this has to do with Super Smash Bros in this context, but I don't expect much from this thread.

Christian Rock? That's a very specific genre to target. Granted I'm not necessarily a big fan of contemporary Christian music, but as a Christian, I have very different reasons for those opinions. The lack of Baroque disturbs me. I'm equally surprised no one has mentioned J-Pop seeing as how during the days of the back room some of those weird music videos were making the rounds.
Baroque is pretty good, my faves are Vivaldi and Bach, though I prefer the Classical period, it's easier to get into.

Gotta love that harpsichord though.

In fact, classical mixes with heavy rock make for some damn good music. It's what makes the Blazblue and Guilty Gear OSTs so damn good.

Dat Violin and guitar blend at the intro. Goddamn it's just sooo goooooood.

More Violin + Electric guitar.

Harpsichord

More Harpsichord. This one is basically everyone's favorite song in GG.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And don't forget the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They were among my first exposures of hearing rock mixed with orchestrated music. Then came Nightwish...

FourStar

Smash Ace
Wouldn't expect anything in a social thread. Is kinda nice to see the track record for staying on-topic in the main threads go up though.

We all like video games and video game music.

thanks this a big ass convo. but now i kinda lost on what to talk about.....

D

Deleted member

And don't forget the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They were among my first exposures of hearing rock mixed with orchestrated music. Then came Nightwish...
I had actually never heard of TSO till now, I'll checking them out.

Never liked Nightwish so much though, a bit too goth for my tastes. Though, like Evanescence, I did like a couple songs here and there.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I had actually never heard of TSO till now, I'll checking them out.

Never liked Nightwish so much though, a bit too goth for my tastes. Though, like Evanescence, I did like a couple songs here and there.
I found Evanescence more goth than Nightwish. I hear good things about European metal though. I feel Nightwish is more along the lines of epics (i.e. Beowulf) than goth, but they have their ups and downs.

For TSO, my favorites are Christmas Eve in Sarajevo, Enchanted Night, and The Lion's Roar. They're not metal, but they're great still.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here's our daily weird J-Pop video, coming directly from Ms. Kyary.

And I've indirectly mentioned J-Pop with Vocaloid where most Vocaloid music IS J-Pop.
That... Is actually what I was referring to sadly. Although there is a lot of J-Pop, despite the language barrier, that makes for really good window down driving music. Daisy x Daisy being one of such artists.

Baroque is pretty good, my faves are Vivaldi and Bach, though I prefer the Classical period, it's easier to get into.

Gotta love that harpsichord though.

In fact, classical mixes with heavy rock make for some damn good music. It's what makes the Blazblue and Guilty Gear OSTs so damn good.

Dat Violin and guitar blend at the intro. Goddamn it's just sooo goooooood.

More Violin + Electric guitar.

Harpsichord

More Harpsichord. This one is basically everyone's favorite song in GG.
Vivaldi and Bach are excellent. And I do agree on the Classical period being more accessible for most people, as evidenced by the popularity of Beethoven and Mozart. Schubert is also one of my favorites from that time, particularly because of his infamous Serenade, which is an extremely romantic piece. Even though he's technically outside of the Classic time period Franz Liszt is another fantastic composer. His nocturnes are simply sublime. Pop one of those bad boys on your Ipod and listen to it late at night under the full moon light; I promise you will never experience anything more atmospheric.

My musical tastes are rather antiquated.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I always have a hard time deciding what to post in music discussion because I can never settle on just 2 or 3 songs to share so here's a list of all my posts (which I've been archiving) from the What Are You Listening To thread from the A&E subforum. There's a bit of everything in there so I'll let you folks decide what to make of this mess.

>Abril
Aya Hirano - God Knows
Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know
El Tri - Las Piedras Rodantes
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
Hey Ocean!- Islands
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
Smashing Pumpkins - Zero
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - A Taste of Honey
The Beatles - Back in the USSR
Of Monsters And Men - Mountain Sound
Pretty Lights - Happiness (Troubled Faces)
Best Coast - Far Away
Teen Daze - Brooklyn Sunburn
Scarlet Fields - Headway
Seu Jorge - Vida em Marte (Life On Mars)
Justin Timberlake - Suit And Tie (Feat. Jay-Z)
Le Nonsense - Tutti Frutti Flavour
Babasonicos - ¿Y Que?
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
The Whitest Boy Alive - Golden Cage
Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love (RAC mix)
Streetlight Manifesto - A Better Place, A Better Time
LiSA - Crossing Field
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dynamite Hack - Boyz in the Hood (acoustic cover)
Cake - The Distance
Tokyo Jihen - Shuraba
Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved?
Red Hot Chili Peppers - My Friends
Ruido Rosa - Miedo A Caer
Fire Emblem: Awakening Sountrack - Don't Speak Her Name
Beach Fossils - Time
Yann Tiersen - J'y Suis Jamais Allé
of Montreal - Coquet Coquette
My Bloody Vanlentine - What You Want
Two Door Cinema Club - Sleep Alone
Goldfinger - Superman
Empire of the Sun - Alive

> Mayo
This Town Needs Guns - Badger
Chalino Sanchez - Las Nieves de Enero
capsule - Starry Sky
Cypress Hill - Insane In The Brain
Beach Fossils - Shallow
Misfits - Twilight of the Dead
Phantasy Star Online OST - You Have Nowhere To Go
Uber - España y Mierda
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
Asobi Seksu - Me & Mary
Mounth Moriah - The Letting Go
she - Distortia
The Walkmen - Little House Of Savages
Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
Young Empires - Rain of Gold

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What I was going to say was "With how much you like Red Hot Chili Peppers you must live in California"

Than I saw your location

for some reason I thought there were more than 2 songs on that list from them

D

Deleted member

That... Is actually what I was referring to sadly. Although there is a lot of J-Pop, despite the language barrier, that makes for really good window down driving music. Daisy x Daisy being one of such artists.

Vivaldi and Bach are excellent. And I do agree on the Classical period being more accessible for most people, as evidenced by the popularity of Beethoven and Mozart. Schubert is also one of my favorites from that time, particularly because of his infamous Serenade, which is an extremely romantic piece. Even though he's technically outside of the Classic time period Franz Liszt is another fantastic composer. His nocturnes are simply sublime. Pop one of those bad boys on your Ipod and listen to it late at night under the full moon light; I promise you will never experience anything more atmospheric.

I'll look into it, I've actually been trying to expand my classical library. On the subject of Classical, you ever listen to Keiko Matsui? It's a more modern Classical/Jazz blend but she's very good.

My musical tastes are all over the place. While I do have limits (Niki Minaj and LMFAO are big no-no's), I'll listen to just about anything.

Btw, you hear that remix of that new Daft Punk song made to sound like Michael Jackson? It's pitch edit and it's damn good. It's almost as if MJ were still alive.

My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
Made me think of this:

I know most of those songs actually. Yay!

What I was going to say was "With how much you like Red Hot Chili Peppers you must live in California"

Than I saw your location

Best RHCP song is Otherside.

It's reall well composed and lighthearted on the surface, but when you read the lyrics it's actually quite deep and very dark.

Californication as an album is just brilliant. Those years of drugs sure paid off. Stadium Arcadium is my 2nd fave.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Than I saw your location

2 RHCP songs out of a 60ish song sample gave you that impression?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Wow, that's some very soothing music. When I think of starry nights, this song comes to mind:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll look into it, I've actually been trying to expand my classical library. On the subject of Classical, you ever listen to Keiko Matsui? It's a more modern Classical/Jazz blend but she's very good.

My musical tastes are all over the place. While I do have limits (Niki Minaj and LMFAO are big no-no's), I'll listen to just about anything.

Btw, you hear that remix of that new Daft Punk song made to sound like Michael Jackson? It's pitch edit and it's damn good. It's almost as if MJ were still alive.

I haven't, but I will definitely look into her music. As far as classical, I definitely recommend Liszt. I've also recently discovered a Russian cellist composer by the name of Mstislav Rostropovich. Some of his stuff is really good. You really cannot go wrong with just about any classical or classical inspired composer. Sure, even within the realm of classical there are those preferred styles, but generally, if you already have a decent musical acumen, you won't have any problem finding the good stuff.

Funny you mention Daft Punk. Just recently finished listening to an Itunes stream of their upcoming latest album. Absolutely love the different route they took with going more for a replication of that old funk/pop sound. The album might be more divisive for the more hardcore DF fans, but overall I'm really enjoying what I've been hearing so far. Although you really can't go wrong when Niles Rodgers is a collaborator.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ok, so we need to keep a list of artists we've mentioned in some form. I believe I've mentioned:

kyary pamyupamyu
Nightwish
Evanescence
Bjork
Vocaloid - mothy, wowaka, fatmanP, supercell, the list goes on.
Hans Zimmer
Trans Siberian Orchestra
I'll toss in ABBA, Asami Imai, and m.o.v.e.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nirvana, the beatles, and the gorillaz

System of a Down, Korn, Lincoln Park

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nirvana, the beetles, and the gorillaz

System of a Down, Korn, Lincoln Park
I like the top three. Misspelling Beatles makes me sad though. :(

Also came here to say automatic's list is awesome. Double RHCP, Two Door Cinema Club, and Smashing Pumpkins are great. ;)
Also like a bunch of other stuff mentioned, but too lazy to list it all. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

What I generally listen to change with time. There are periods where I listen to 80s music (and I LOVE many of them and they contain some of my favorite songs), anime music and video game music.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like the top three. Misspelling Beatles makes me sad though. :(

Also came here to say automatic's list is awesome. Double RHCP, Two Door Cinema Club, and Smashing Pumpkins are great. ;)
Also like a bunch of other stuff mentioned, but too lazy to list it all. :laugh:
I know how it's spelled. I was just being stupid I guess

I blame autocorrect spelling

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I was never a big music guy honestly, I just listen to whatever song that sticks in my head.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well if I did series by best overall music I would go with following:

Mario Series: Super Mario Galaxy 1 (barely edges out 64).

Zelda Series: Ocarina of Time (almost a no brainer)

Kirby Series: Kirby's Adventures for NES

Star Fox Series: Star Fox 64

Megaman Series: Megaman 2

Sonic the Hedgehog: I am going to go with Sonic 2 although it barely edges out the first one. Although it is a crappy game from what I hear, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 "His World" is a great theme.

Donkey Kong Series: DKC 1 (arguably the best music collection of all-time)

Pikman: Both titles are very similar so I cannot decide

I do not have enough knowledge about other Smash series to comment but some other game series:

Doom series: Doom 2

Age of Empires series: The original AoE

Warcraft series: Warcraft 2 (great collection of songs)

Civilization Series: Civilization II Fantastic Worlds Expansion

Diablo Series: 1st game, Diablo

Mortal Kombat Series: MK3

I have also always loved the original Halo game's theme song.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Talking about video game soundtracks without mentioning C&C Red Alert or Kid Icarus: Uprising is almost blasphemous.

Also, despite have never played any of the F-Zero games, the series has some kickass songs.

D

Deleted member

Talking about video game soundtracks without mentioning C&C Red Alert or Kid Icarus: Uprising is almost blasphemous.

Also, despite have never played any of the F-Zero games, the series has some kickass songs.

CnC in general has a great OST, Frank Klepachi is a brilliant composer. Even EA's CnC Generals has a great OST.

My fave track in F-Zero (Next to Big Blue of course) has to be Wings for My Way:

Speaking of which, just got a copy of F-Zero GX, I'll get on it once I finish No More Heroes 1 and 2, which will be after I'm done with Muramasa (Doing Kisuke's Chapters now).

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well I never played Kid Icarus Uprising and I have only played a little CoC. Honestly I like AoE and other RTS games more then CoC. I use to play CoC with a friend that was huge into it but never got into by myself. I do like the actors though, they buff the series.

An underrated RTS game is Warwind. Warwind 2 sucks balls though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I only listen music with good, deep lyricals. Which always brings me back to reggae and hip hop mostly. Reggae is still my first love however. Love dancehall reggae to, and dub. My dear Lord, dub... No not dubstep you hipster, but: DUB! The real thing. Hip hop comes second place to all this. But I also love music as Jimi Hendrix, Barry White, Billy Ocean and Rick James. Can even listen some rock sometimes, like Rage Against the Machine. All other rock isn't appealing to me much.

Anyways, my tastes are likely much different from all of yours but I don't really care.

D

Deleted member

Well I never played Kid Icarus Uprising and I have only played a little CoC. Honestly I like AoE and other RTS games more then CoC. I use to play CoC with a friend that was huge into it but never got into by myself. I do like the actors though, they buff the series.

An underrated RTS game is Warwind. Warwind 2 sucks balls though.
CoC?

Well, anyway, you can't kill the Messiah:

PEACE THROUGH POWER!!

I gotta say, as much as I love Kane, I always preferred playing as GDI scum. If there was a PC Smash Bros, I'd totally main Kane. How would he play like I wonder...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The game "Metro" has on disc DLC for Hard Mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=endeOQWDaeU

Even worse, they are advertising Hard Mode is the way the game was meant to be played.

Meaning when you buy the game, you aren't buying the game in the way it was suppose to be

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
90% of all my preorders have been Nintendo games and thankfully Nintendo never does this. My biggest disappointment I got from a game buying at launch was Collector's Edition Marvel vs. Capcom 3 just to find out weeks later it's officially out of date.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Posting a crapload of VGM I like, for the hell of it.

If you don't like any of them, you have no taste in music. :troll:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah, F Zero's soundtracks have been f-wording excellent. I'd only place F Zero under Kirby for my favorite vidja music.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
GX's soundtrack is almost divine. So much variety and ear-sexual beat and tunes. Quitar riffs just amplify that sensation...

Anyway when was E3 again? Gonna now set up things for the chatroom and so on. Gonna make sure this will be ready in time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyway when was E3 again? Gonna now set up things for the chatroom and so on. Gonna make sure this will be ready in time.
We don't know what time the Directs are yet, because Nintendo likes to be difficult like that, but those smaller events Nintendo is holding are on June 11th. Likely in the morning (PST) like usual.

I'm guessing we'll have gotten at least one important Direct before that though. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom