• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You didn't know what Nintendo was when you were 8? HERESY!!! :grrr::p

JK but yeah, that's what Smash is all about. Not only playing as your faves, but introducing you to different franchises. I had only played Kirby, Mario, and Pokemon games before playing Smash 64. I had absolutely no idea who Samus, Fox, Link, and Ness were (although Ness is pretty reasonable).
I only knew the characters from Mario and Pokemon, anyone else was foreign to me. Heck at the time I didn't know what a grab was, so I was trying to figure out how my cousin did "the roll attack" (Pikachu's back throw).

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I only knew the characters from Mario and Pokemon, anyone else was foreign to me. Heck at the time I didn't know what a grab was, so I was trying to figure out how my cousin did "the roll attack" (Pikachu's back throw).
I was a pretty smart kid, so I had the game figured out in no time :cool:.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I was a pretty smart kid, so I had the game figured out in no time :cool:.
Well, I didn't exactly have the game, my cousin did. And if I'm correct, it was my first time playing a video game. So the GCN controller was still very new to me (though there's still no excuse for me not knowing standard attacks exist, or shields, which I didn't properly use until a flash game of all things. Though you'll be surprised what you can learn from one).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I remember when I played Smash Bros for the first time when I was a little kid, maybe about 8 years-old. I had no idea who the hell the characters were, what Nintendo was, and what I was supposed to do (I used to pick Mewtwo, he was the only one I recognized from the cast). I remember the sheer fun I had playing with my cousins, and that's why the series stuck in my head. It was several years later when I finally bought my first Smash, and now it's practically the only game I play.

I guess the point of this post is that, while some of you undoubtedly bought Smash for the sake of your favorite characters, I (and surely many others) had no clue who the characters were and, through the years, I grew to like them all. This appreciation of the character led me to try their games out, and that's how Metroid and Kirby are among my fave series now.
Actually, I'm exactly the same way. I only knew Mario, Pikachu and Fox when 64 came out. ¦D

But that's because I'm not a Nintendo fan. I did, however, research and learn about all the others as each new game came out so I could love and appreciate all of them like everyone else. Except for the ones I don't like. ¦(

Came for the characters, stayed for the gameplay.

It's that ****ing simple.
Pretty much this. XD

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh I first played Smash when I was like 4 or 5 and it was with my older brother. I got exposed to video games very early by my one of my older brothers, when I was 2 or 3 he would set me in his lap and I would watch him play them and he would even give me the controller to play with. So obviously I had no ****ing clue who the characters were when I first played Smash.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Was I the only child who recognized Captain Falcon right from the start?
"Captain Who?" Said I as a young boy. Though I think I did vaguely know who Link was. Though Young Link was far my intellect.
I did get better with names when Brawl was around though. ...Though I do remember wanting Tails for some reason...
...I was a dumb kid...

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Was I the only child who recognized Captain Falcon right from the start?
I owned a SNES and upgraded to the gcn w/ sunshine and melee, so i was familiar with most characters except pokemanz. It didn't matter because at that time i was only smart enough to go link and spam up b. (believe it or not, i unlocked most of the cast this way)

Well, i had played super star religiously before smash, so i was accustomed to the smash style of gameplay, but young me would use other attacks only to be disappointing that they didn't knock back like Link's spin attack, so i stuck with link

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I only knew Mario, Pokemon and Starfox when I first played Smash.

I thought Captain Falcon was Falco in a suit.

Then Melee came out.

Little me was confused...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
A little late saying this, but if you want to let a relatively arbitrary list get in the way of how you want to play a game or even compete in it, then that's on you. You have a choice, and you have the means to draw your own conclusions, whether by grinding it out in the lab or reading forums or whatever the case may be.

Smooth Criminal

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I only knew Mario, Pokemon and Starfox when I first played Smash.

I thought Captain Falcon was Falco in a suit.

Then Melee came out.

Little me was confused...
I didn't know anyone because Melee was the first video game I ever played. :laugh:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I knew the Pokemon, Mario, Yoshi, and Zelda characters. Possibly Star Fox as well. I don't really remember.

All I know is that I didn't know who most of the characters were, which has always been the draw for me(getting to see and learn about characters I wasn't already familiar with). It's why I loved trophies so much(even Brawl's s***ty, laz-*ss trophies).

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
No trailer but someone captured his reveal on the stream (note that he's incomplete right now).

I'm glad they chose him, he actually seems to fit very well. I wouldn't even be surprised if he was in Smash 4 now.

I remember a lot of people wanting Luffy or some other thing, but this is much better IMO.

Also lol "His best part" = Villager move :troll:.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Say what you will about Smash flash 2, but you got to admire the dedication these people have for something they're giving out for free.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
DR. PEEPEE.
Such dedication from that man. Props to him.
Also aMSa, a Japanese player getting 9th with YOSHI.
Soft, coming from retirement top 8, Leffen (the Swedish jerkface? :O) #4, Mangonation coming in at 3rd.
Mew2King played gloriously and got second, but. . .
Dr. Peepee was untouchable today.

A little late saying this, but if you want to let a relatively arbitrary list get in the way of how you want to play a game or even compete in it, then that's on you. You have a choice, and you have the means to draw your own conclusions, whether by grinding it out in the lab or reading forums or whatever the case may be.

Smooth Criminal
It's never too late for the truth. Too many players inexperienced and veterans alike use tier list to define who and how they play instead of developing a proper mindset and utilizing a characters tools, so they assume the character is great/terrible based on a list for tournament placing.

For Christ sake a Yoshi got 9th at a Nation Tournament.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Before Melee, I had known of the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kirby and Star Fox characters. Though for some reason I though wolf was in the game instead of Falco, I guess it had to do with the intro.

No trailer but someone captured his reveal on the stream (note that he's incomplete right now).

That's pretty cool. Still, I myself would have stuck solely to video game characters for a Smash game. Unless it was a different theme, like Marvel, DC or Shonen Jump. I wonder if Luigi, Bowser, and Ganon are showing up in the next update after this one. Maybe Zero or something.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I got around to buying Wii Fit U and Mario Kart Wii today... should be fun... getting fit and tiding me over before Mario Kart 8 comes out this year... :awesome:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
For melee, the characters I knew were:

Mario Series
Zelda Series
Pokemon Series
Kirby
Yoshi
Donkey Kong

I believe I didn't know anyone else at the time, but I was like around preschool at that time. I was in 4th grade at the time of Brawl's release so I still barely knew any characters.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's never too late for the truth. Too many players inexperienced and veterans alike use tier list to define who and how they play instead of developing a proper mindset and utilizing a characters tools, so they assume the character is great/terrible based on a list for tournament placing.

For Christ sake a Yoshi got 9th at a Nation Tournament.
I'm not disagreeing that people come to that conclusion. I'm just explaining how stupid/fallacious it is to use tier listings like that, because that's not why they exist.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Smooth Criminal

The only series I didn't know of was EarthBound when Smash 64 came out. I was an F-Zero freak, both me and my brother would play F-Zero X all day and night on weekends. I was always the Blue Falcon, so when Falcon was revealed in the game I literally lost it.

I feel like Falcon literally makes Smash what it is.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool. Still, I myself would have stuck solely to video game characters for a Smash game. Unless it was a different theme, like Marvel, DC or Shonen Jump. I wonder if Luigi, Bowser, and Ganon are showing up in the next update after this one. Maybe Zero or something.
IMO the main reason they were including was, while being wanted, their sprites were literally just sitting there lol. They didn't have to do that much in the "custom spriting" department.

It could've been cool if they focused on just video game characters though. I really wish they did more of those original characters (ones not in Smash yet, and may never be).
Although they can do whatever they want since, ya know, it's a free game (so you really can't hate on them). It still would've been nice to see either more originals or more variations in existing movesets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom