• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
We can't tell until it releases and even then it might take awhile for the metagame to emerge.
Eh, just a prediction. But it might suck for me, I'm planning of maining characters that may have problems with disjointed hitboxes.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking of tiers, How do you think SSB4 tiers are gonna be like?
I'm especially worried about Megaman...
Doesn't matter to me too much. So long as the game is more balanced. I would think that Mega Man would be a decent character given most situations. It would be rather hard to out zone the guy. Not to mention, he has a long range spike attack to boot. Though he'd would probably have some trouble with Fox and other reflector characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Doesn't matter to me too much. So long as the game is more balanced. I would think that Mega Man would be a decent character given most situations. It would be rather hard to out zone the guy. Not to mention, he has a long range spike attack to boot. Though he'd would probably have some trouble with Fox and other reflector characters.
I'm assuming his special attacks are, but not sure about his normal attacks.
If yes: C or D at best.
If no: B or C at worst.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm assuming his special attacks are, but not sure about his normal attacks.
If yes: C or D at best.
If no: B or C at worst.
His Jab, Forward Tilt, and Air-Jab shoot regular bullets. They don't do much by themselves, but I imagine that when dealing with most characters, he can zone them out pretty well. On top of this, he also has the Metal Blade and the Crash bombs. The Metal blade in particular seems real good since it can be thrown in 8 different directions. He could possibly use the Leaf Shield as a counter for reflectors if it acts like the shields in Megaman's games. So the attack would eat up projectiles until it breaks. He also has the Charge Shot possibly acting as a long-ranged finisher as well.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
After watching taj play Mewtwo for the first time, I question tiers.
You mean in Melee?

From what I understand, Taj largely gets by with his Mewtwo on the fact that most players generally aren't prepare for the tricks that Mewtwo can pull. He also mains Marth, so it's not like he only plays Mewtwo.

One good player does not a good character make. Any player can be good with any character if they put in the effort, but that does not automatically mean that the character they have chosen to use is good.

tl;dr : Tires do exits.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should remake "Future War"

Imagine this.

Time Travelling cyborgs FROM SPACE that travel to the past and abduct DINOSAURS and train them to track down humans to be used as slaves

Cyborgs, Time Travel, Dinosaurs, Space

what more can you ask from a movie?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
They should remake "Future War"

Imagine this.

Time Travelling cyborgs FROM SPACE that travel to the past and abduct DINOSAURS and train them to track down humans to be used as slaves

Cyborgs, Time Travel, Dinosaurs, Space

what more can you ask from a movie?
Well, boobs, ninja, penguins, pizza, explosions, and tentacles, for starters.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Because anyone with half a brain would acknowledge tiers as a sorta "alpha/omega, end all/be all, insert whatever superlative here" to rigidly define how they play a video game, right?

Newsflash: Tiers are a quantitative measure of data and feedback based on various factors (frame data, controlled environments like tourneys, anecdotes, etc). They exist to measure trends in the (established, agreed-upon) metagame, to compare and contrast certain characters against one another. They don't account for player potential, or even overall character potential---certainly not in absolutes, anyway.

tl; dr it's harmless categorization, as people are wont to do sometimes with certain things.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Alzi

Smash Master
My source tells me we will be getting a nintendo direct sometime this week or very early on the week after.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
His Jab, Forward Tilt, and Air-Jab shoot regular bullets. They don't do much by themselves, but I imagine that when dealing with most characters, he can zone them out pretty well. On top of this, he also has the Metal Blade and the Crash bombs. The Metal blade in particular seems real good since it can be thrown in 8 different directions. He could possibly use the Leaf Shield as a counter for reflectors if it acts like the shields in Megaman's games. So the attack would eat up projectiles until it breaks. He also has the Charge Shot possibly acting as a long-ranged finisher as well.
But what about Fox? That's who I'm worried about.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Because anyone with half a brain would acknowledge tiers as a sorta "alpha/omega, end all/be all, insert whatever superlative here" to rigidly define how they play a video game, right?

Newsflash: Tiers are a quantitative measure of data and feedback based on various factors (frame data, controlled environments like tourneys, anecdotes, etc). They exist to measure trends in the (established, agreed-upon) metagame, to compare and contrast certain characters against one another. They don't account for player potential, or even overall character potential---certainly not in absolutes, anyway.

tl; dr it's harmless categorization, as people are wont to do sometimes with certain things.

Smooth Criminal
Actually, I know many who use tiers lists to exclusively play "top-tier" characters (in whatever fighters they get into). If they didn't exist, sure they'd still look for who's good, but they wouldn't have a chart that basically says "avoid these lower guys."

I hate the whole concept behind tier lists, they're so stupid. Maybe they're more helpful in other games sure, but in Smash I see them as useless. It's not that hard to see who's good and who's bad, with everything around the middle being up for debate. Like do we really need a document that states "MENA-knit is S-God." It's like:

I know you say they're "harmless categorization," but that's also debatable. So many players use them that it's ridiculous. They've practically become an essential part of every fighting game. They definitely have some impact on what characters people choose to play (whether they want to play a "low tier," are looking for a "middle tier," or want to only play "top tiers.").

Also...only a Sith deals in absolutes (Du du danana du du danana, DU DU DANANA DU DU DANANA)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Actually, I know many who use tiers lists to exclusively play "top-tier" characters (in whatever fighters they get into). If they didn't exist, sure they'd still look for who's good, but they wouldn't have a chart that basically says "avoid these lower guys."

I hate the whole concept behind tier lists, they're so stupid. Maybe they're more helpful in other games sure, but in Smash I see them as useless. It's not that hard to see who's good and who's bad, with everything around the middle being up for debate. Like do we really need a document that states "MENA-knit is S-God." It's like:

I know you say they're "harmless categorization," but that's also debatable. So many players use them that it's ridiculous. They've practically become an essential part of every fighting game. They definitely have some impact on what characters people choose to play (whether they want to play a "low tier," are looking for a "middle tier," or want to only play "top tiers.").

Also...only a Sith deals in absolutes (Du du danana du du danana, DU DU DANANA DU DU DANANA)
To be fair, it gives us something to yell about...

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
To be fair, it gives us something to yell about...
*catching breath* Lol sorry about all that, I just really dislike tier lists. I don't care about other games, but Smash is my fav so I care when people forget it's a game where you play as your favorite Ninty characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
*catching breath* Lol sorry about all that, I just really dislike tier lists. I don't care about other games, but Smash is my fav so I care when people forget it's a game where you play as your favorite Ninty characters.
Hey I'm still mad at Meta Knight.
G&W USED TO BE TOP TIER! TOP TIER!
...Not like it matters... ...Top tier...

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Hey I'm still mad at Meta Knight.
G&W USED TO BE TOP TIER! TOP TIER!
...Not like it matters...
Hey....Meta-Knight is my favorite Kirby character, and the one I was looking forward to playing the most. Now I really can't play him because he's banned in a lot of tournaments (at least the ones I go to).

:crying:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't care about other games, but Smash is my fav so I care when people forget it's a game where you play as your favorite Ninty characters.
Some people don't play Smash for the characters. I certainly don't. And the game definitely doesn't have any of my fave Nintendo characters in it, aside from possibly Charizard who is tied into god awful mechanics that make him not fun to play as.

But just because you play Smash for a certain reason doesn't mean everyone has to play it for that same reason.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If the balance wasn't so skewed most of the time, people would be more encouraged to pick whatever they desire. But fact of the matter is that because there is notable gaps between certain characters, it create a void where people are not encouraged to actually pick their favorite characters, unless they want to have a more pressing time with less ideal match ups. If the gaps were smaller, you'd see more people encouraged to be more diverse. Hence, the difference between Project M and Brawl.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Some people don't play Smash for the characters. I certainly don't. And the game definitely doesn't have any of my fave Nintendo characters in it, aside from possibly Charizard who is tied into god awful mechanics that make him not fun to play as.

But just because you play Smash for a certain reason doesn't mean everyone has to play it for that same reason.
YES, EVERYONE MUST PLAY SMASH FOR WHY I DO!!!

But seriously, the characters are the main draw of the game. Everything else is icing on the cake. The icing may be good, but do you eat the whole cake for that one piece of it. Wouldn't you rather play a game (cake) made of icing? Smash definitely wouldn't be the same if it were all original characters.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
If the balance wasn't so skewed most of the time, people would be more encouraged to pick whatever they desire. But fact of the matter is that because there is notable gaps between certain characters, it create a void where people are not encouraged to actually pick their favorite characters, unless they want to have a more pressing time with less ideal match ups. If the gaps were smaller, you'd see more people encouraged to be more diverse. Hence, the difference between Project M and Brawl.
Only in Project: M can you hear the name "Meta-Knight" aloud and see people go "Eh, this'll be a challenge, but I can take him" but hear the name "Mario" and see them go "OH FIND ME IN THE ALPS, THIS IS GONNA HARD!".

And I love it. <3

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To tell you the truth, I honestly like the more oddball characters, rather than the fan-favorites. I like lokking them seeing trying to find who they are. As it gives me more respect for Sakurai. And helps me show just how big and diverse Nintendo's history is.

Only in Project: M can you hear the name "Meta-Knight" aloud and see people go "Eh, this'll be a challenge, but I can take him" but hear the name "Mario" and see them go "OH FIND ME IN THE ALPS, THIS IS GONNA HARD!".

And I love it. <3
Mario, difficult? What did they do to him?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
YES, EVERYONE MUST PLAY SMASH FOR WHY I DO!!!

But seriously, the characters are the main draw of the game. Everything else is icing on the cake. The icing may be good, but do you eat the whole cake for that one piece of it. Wouldn't you rather play a game (cake) made of icing? Smash definitely wouldn't be the same if it were all original characters.
For me the gameplay is the cake and everything else is icing on it.

I would honestly be fine if they used original character for the game, as long as the core gameplay stays the same.

Just because you think characters are the most important aspect of the game doesn't mean every one else does.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mario, difficult? What did they do to him?
Mario in Project M is essentially a hybrid of Mario and Dr. Mario from Melee, having beneficial qualities of both characters. With both strengths at play, Mario is a rather legit threat. However, he still retains his balanced attributes, meaning that while he doesn't excel at anything he's a very flexible character that can handle any match up.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Mario in Project M is essentially a hybrid of Mario and Dr. Mario from Melee, having beneficial qualities of both characters. With both strengths at play, Mario is a rather legit threat. However, he still retains his balanced attributes, meaning that while he doesn't excel at anything he's a very flexible character that can handle any match up.
In short, he's gone from being your average "jack of all trades" to coming very close to being an actual "master of all". ¦D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom