• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
IMO the main reason they were including was, while being wanted, their sprites were literally just sitting there lol. They didn't have to do that much in the "custom spriting" department.

It could've been cool if they focused on just video game characters though. I really wish they did more of those original characters (ones not in Smash yet, and may never be).
Although they can do whatever they want since, ya know, it's a free game (so you really can't hate on them). It still would've been nice to see either more originals or more variations in existing movesets.
I thought they were in because Cleod loves anime and so do a lot of people on the Mcleod gaming forums. Weirdly enough, a couple of the devs aren't happy with them being in.

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
When Smash 64 came

I thought they were in because Cleod loves anime and so do a lot of people on the Mcleod gaming forums. Weirdly enough, a couple of the devs aren't happy with them being in.
Well yeah, like I said, they were wanted characters too (But since all of their sprites exist, it makes it that much easier).

Like would you rather design a character from scratch....or work off this?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well yeah, like I said, they were wanted characters too (But since all of their sprites exist, it makes it that much easier).

If they were to put in Joshua from TWEWY I would start playing that game. And it would be easy even considering the art style of TWEWY and how they are high res sprites. >____>

I just really want to him in a fighting game and see how he would be implemented in it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When Smash 64 came

Well their sprites do come from "Jump Ultimate Stars". I have the game. So it's not like what @ Niko Mar Niko Mar is saying isn't true. Though I find it a little interesting that even some of the devs didn't like the idea of adding them too. Though I remember seeing some pretty detailed custom Brawl Sprites for Luigi. Same for Zero.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
If they were to put in Joshua from TWEWY I would start playing that game. And it would be easy even considering the art style of TWEWY and how they are high res sprites. >____>

I just really want to him in a fighting game and see how he would be implemented in it.
If they wanted to, they could. It'd be really awesome to see both Neku and Joshua join the fight (something they should definitely consider with it's cult popularity). Actually, I remember them saying something about being able to make custom characters and port them into the game. Someone could just work off of these and there ya have it, JOSH!!! (but don't forget Drake :awesome:)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If they wanted to, they could. It'd be really awesome to see both Neku and Joshua join the fight (something they should definitely consider with it's cult popularity). Actually, I remember them saying something about being able to make custom characters and port them into the game. Someone could just work off of these and there ya have it, JOSH!!! (but don't forget Drake :awesome:)

Expansion characters are on hold. The devs won't say whether it expansions will definitely be included or whether they will drop the idea. If expansions are included than only expansions made by SSF2 devs will be available for online mode.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Expansion characters are on hold. The devs won't say whether it expansions will definitely be included or whether they will drop the idea. If expansions are included than only expansions made by SSF2 devs will be available for online mode.
Ummm what? Can you phase that better? Are you saying that if expansions are available, it will only be from the devs?

When I was on that forum, there was talk of custom characters to be made by the community (much like MUGEN).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ummm what? Can you phase that better? Are you saying that if expansions are available, it will only be from the devs?

When I was on that forum, there was talk of custom characters to be made by the community (much like MUGEN).
Basically if expansion characters are included anybody can make them like MUGEN, however, only expansion characters made by official SSF2 devs can be used in online mode.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I recently got Sonic Adventure 2 & refound my love for the Chao minigame. Seriously- make a game revolving around raising Chao. I guarantee it will be successful (Of course make it a bit more expansive, but still..!).

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Basically if expansion characters are included anybody can make them like MUGEN, however, only expansion characters made by official SSF2 devs can be used in online mode.
Oh, well that makes sense.

That's not that bad though. I was playing SSF2 without online all this time, so I really don't need it.

Sucks for people who've been waiting for both features though (unless of course the devs produce it).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Honestly, that's one of my bigger problems with the game. Don't get me wrong, I love SSF2, and I'm excited for 9.b, but it just feels weird with many of the sprites coming for actual games against custom sprites (for example, putting Sonic, who's sprites you know were clearly ripped, next to Marth). Maybe if they'd just slightly edit them to fit the rest of the cast, then I'd be fine...
Though referring to Chibi-Robo, I actually like the inclusion of the character, as it feels like someone Sakurai would pick.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Honestly, that's one of my bigger problems with the game. Don't get me wrong, I love SSF2, and I'm excited for 9.b, but it just feels weird with many of the sprites coming for actual games against custom sprites (for example, putting Sonic, who's sprites you know were clearly ripped, next to Marth). Maybe if they'd just slightly edit them to fit the rest of the cast, then I'd be fine...
Though referring to Chibi-Robo, I actually like the inclusion of the character, as it feels like someone Sakurai would pick.
Would a recouloring or 'brawlification' as the devs put it, do?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I shouldn't be one to complain (since it's a free game), but that always bugged me too. The varying quality of some the stages and sprites make them seem out of place when next to each other. IMO they should've stuck to a JUS style and designed everything else accordingly.

A consistent art style makes the game feel like it's own thing, versus a mish-mash of others.

BTW though, Chibi looks pretty good (both visually and in moveset [despite not being fully done yet]).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
McLeodGaming isn't a stranger to those words. In earlier demos, characters Naruto & Goko were just rips from Jump Ultimate Stars. In later demos they were reshaded into Brawl colors (and Naruto got a brand new idling animation). Mario & Link are getting total overhauls in the upcoming demo. I noticed when I saw Sonic's page on the Smash Flash Dojo he had a tiny but noticeable sprite edit. So anything's possible.

Now if they just rework Lloyd Irving's sprites completely (he looks exactly like he did in Super Smash Flash 1)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
McLeodGaming isn't a stranger to those words. In earlier demos, characters Naruto & Goko were just rips from Jump Ultimate Stars. In later demos they were reshaded into Brawl colors (and Naruto got a brand new idling animation). Mario & Link are getting total overhauls in the upcoming demo. I noticed when I saw Sonic's page on the Smash Flash Dojo he had a tiny but noticeable sprite edit. So anything's possible.

Now if they just rework Lloyd Irving's sprites completely (he looks exactly like he did in Super Smash Flash 1)
Goku's been reshaded as well, so it's not unreasonable to expect more characters to be reshaded. Reshading shouldn't take as long as making custom sprites. Apparently the Marth sprites took 2 years to make.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I shouldn't be one to complain (since it's a free game), but that always bugged me too. The varying quality of some the stages and sprites make them seem out of place when next to each other. IMO they should've stuck to a JUS style and designed everything else accordingly.

A consistent art style makes the game feel like it's own thing, versus a mish-mash of others.

BTW though, Chibi looks pretty good (both visually and in moveset [despite not being fully done yet]).
I kinda feel that way too, especially how it's a decent Smash fan-game. Though to be fair, they're not the only ones that rip...
Though I can't wait to see Chibi when he's all finished.

I guess, as long as it feels like they fit in some way, I'll be fine.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
It'd be nice if they did all around sprite edits, and modifications to fit a certain style like JUS (aka black borders and such for sharper appearances).

I think they should use brighter colors though, as we all know how well that worked in Smash 4. It just draws your attention better.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The sprites of the newer additions seem to fit a certain style more. I guess it's kind of hard to truly have them all be the same style because there's different devs working on different characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The sprites of the newer additions seem to fit a certain style more. I guess it's kind of hard to truly have them all be the same style because there's different devs working on different characters.
So:
Custom Brawl-like sprites.
Kinda but not completely ripped sprites.
Like that?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of things I don't care about

Here's something I DO care about: Why the hell does Kirby 3DS still NOT have a release date in NA?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So Tuesday is the Anniversary for Smash Bros. How many years was it again? I really am hoping for something great.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People were saying, "Putting Mega Man with Nintendo characters was wrong"

I said, "Anyone who thinks that is stupid"

They said, "How?"

I said, "I don't know. Maybe they were just born stupid. Or they were dropped on their head"

LOL I crack myself up

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even though it's entirely possible we get something for the anniversary, I hope people don't get their hopes up too much. It's totally the type of thing I can see Sakurai just having like four of the original 8 posing together with a celebratory caption or something.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Even though it's entirely possible we get something for the anniversary, I hope people don't get their hopes up too much. It's totally the type of thing I can see Sakurai just having like four of the original 8 posing together with a celebratory caption or something.
It'd be absolutely amazing if we got the original four unlockable characters in one screenshot. :colorful:

Good Guy Sakurai

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It'd be absolutely amazing if we got the original four unlockable characters in one screenshot. :colorful:

Good Guy Sakurai
3 of them haven't been revealed yet. So that would be getting 3 reveals in one day, we rarely get that many in a month's time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Good Guy Sakurai
If they don't come with character profiles, it means they are AT's!!!

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
3 of them haven't been revealed yet. So that would be getting 3 reveals in one day, we rarely get that many in a month's time.
A man can dream can't he? I don't tell you how to live your life.

What Psycho said, 2 will be assists :demon:. Scumbag Sakurai

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think it'll happen, but maybe Ness or Captain Falcon would be the most to hope for, considering they don't really have anything else to be tied to before SSB4 releases (apart from their own anniversaries if applicable I suppose).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When I played the 64 version, I already knew who everyone was but Samus. I never played a Metroid game in my life till after Melee alone(with Metroid Prime 1).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
When I played the 64 version, I already knew who everyone was but Samus. I never played a Metroid game in my life till after Melee alone(with Metroid Prime 1).
I remember when I first played Smash 64, I was like "Who's this Samus? Sounds like a girl"
Everyone in the room just stopped and acted like I was some kind of prophet for guessing Samus was a girl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom