• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember when I first played Smash 64, I was like "Who's this Samus? Sounds like a girl"
Everyone in the room just stopped and acted like I was some kind of prophet for guessing Samus was a girl.
She didn't in 64. She had robotic sounds for some reason. My guess is that it's so you couldn't tell what she was like under the armor till the end of a Metroid game, so keeping the secret up. Did her tiny profile in 64 actually say her sex? I forget. I think it was there in the manual/profile, but not by simply playing. Melee did the same thing, but Brawl let you know in gameplay alone when you transformed into Zero Suit Samus.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
She didn't in 64. She had robotic sounds for some reason. My guess is that it's so you couldn't tell what she was like under the armor till the end of a Metroid game, so keeping the secret up. Did her tiny profile in 64 actually say her sex? I forget. I think it was there in the manual/profile, but not by simply playing. Melee did the same thing, but Brawl let you know in gameplay alone when you transformed into Zero Suit Samus.
Yeah, why does the robot metroid turn into a girl?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It said her gender in her description in game. I guessed she was a girl by her name, don't know why it just sounded like a girl's name to me.
Her description in game: Samus Aran is the toughest bounty hunter in the galaxy. Using a special suit powered by the technology of the bird people which allows her to execute daring acrobatic feats, Samus pursues the airborne life form, Metroid, throughout the universe.

EDIT: So to clarify, her name sounded feminime not the sounds she made.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The only characters I recognized in Melee (the first Smash game I played) were Link, Ganondorf, (I hadn't gotten very far into Ocarina of Time before I played Melee, so I didn't recognize Zelda, or Sheik for that matter) Pikachu, Luigi, and to a lesser extant, the rest of the Mario cast. (except for Peach. The first game from the Mario franchise I ever played was Luigi's Mansion.)

I slowly learned more about the other characters overtime, and took a liking a fairly big liking to the Kirby series among others.
_________

On the topic of the daily pic, I'm thinking it's most likely a reveal of a Melee-styled adventure mode, seeing as how Sakurai made a reminder that there will not be a big storymode like in Brawl, and the stage looks like it would be rather large, so it could very well end up being an adventure mode area. No clue where it's from though, or if it's an original stage.

Also, Rayman in Smash would be truly awesome, but I can't really see it happening.

Morbi

Scavenger
I recognized every character in Melee aside from Roy, Marth, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch. Jesus, I didn't realize how many characters I didn't recognize... :awesome:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
"Pic of the day. Where am I……??
To be clear, the new Super Smash Bros. games do not feature a story mode like The Subspace Emissary"

Something tells me this is related to the unknown stage from the E3 trailer. And this confirms some sort of single player mode (at least for Nintendo 3DS Smash.)

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
She didn't in 64. She had robotic sounds for some reason. My guess is that it's so you couldn't tell what she was like under the armor till the end of a Metroid game, so keeping the secret up. Did her tiny profile in 64 actually say her sex? I forget.
A single feminine pronoun was used, but people tend to overlook that. There was also this.

And This.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, I never noticed Samus' picture in her visor, won't lie. Second one I didn't catch either(at first), heh. I knew she was humanoid in there, but I might not have noticed that till after I read her bio in 64. >_<

But yeah, I should've noticed that earlier.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently the Japanese have a racial stereotype of white people where they put on blonde wigs and wear comically big nose props.

Weird

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Anyway, hoping something for the 15th anniversary as well.

Jigglypuff, ness, and/or Capt. Falcon? :D
YOSHI
What a wonderful suggestion. Haha, it probably will be Falcon or Ness if there is to be some anniversary acknowledgement. Otherwise i expect more nose pics.

Also does the environment in today's daily pic look Rayman-esque to anyone else?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Why DO Americans go for the gritty stuff anyway?
Because if they don't, we, the testosterone-filled audience, would call this game "kiddie garbage lulz" and go back to out shooters. At least then they might consider it, until they play the game...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
A single feminine pronoun was used, but people tend to overlook that. There was also this.

And This.
For years, I could never make out what was in that visor.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
For years, I could never make out what was in that visor.
To be fair, I always assumed "Metroid" was a guy too when I was younger. Heck when I saw otherwise, I'd just assume it was a "typo". Then Brawl's trailer happened.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Even though I wasn't able to watch Apex and can't watch the recordings, I can at lest look at the results.

On Melee;

Seeing Yoshia in the top 16 is still fantastic to look at. Pikachu/Young Link and Samus were also great to see. It's sad Peach didn't get top 8, but at least one mad it to top 16.

For Brawl;

Top 8 is the usual stuff, though it sad not seeing a Olimar
Or a Falco there, hell it’s sad not even seeing them in the top 16. However seeing that Ness in the top 36 was surprising as hell.

On 64:
Yoshi got 5th place, that’s good enough for me.

As for the pic of the day, it looks suspiciously like a Rayman stage, but Rayman just seems so unlikely, though he would be rather cool to see.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Even though I wasn't able to watch Apex and can't watch the recordings, I can at lest look at the results.

On Melee;

Seeing Yoshia in the top 16 is still fantastic to look at. Pikachu/Young Link and Samus were also great to see. It's sad Peach didn't get top 8, but at least one mad it to top 16.

Dude, once you get to watch apex, you'll love it. My personal highlights are isai actually trying with jigglypuff (64), aMSa and his jab cancelled crazy yoshi combos, and the amazing match between mango and leffen. This apex was a great one

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The "aMsa Suite" post Grand Finals was hilarious. He straight up bodied sooooooo many people with Yoshi. Loved every second of it.

#20EggsEggs
#RagingDinosaur

Smooth Criminal

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm still salty about Ally almost having Game 2 & getting timed out by M2K.
The "aMsa Suite" post Grand Finals was hilarious. He straight up bodied sooooooo many people with Yoshi. Loved every second of it.

#20EggsEggs
#RagingDinosaur

Smooth Criminal
THE KID IS DIRTY!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Must have been discussed by now, but what potential newcomers are you guys going to add as your complimentary mains/secondary as of right now?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Must have been discussed by now, but what potential newcomers are you guys going to add as your complimentary mains/secondary as of right now?
Hard to tell, but I think I'll be putting some good time into Miss Fit.

#OhMy

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
They all look really interesting. Out of the four we have, I will probably play Villager and Mega Man the least. Miss Fit might be a good alternate. Rosalina is looking to be my main for the next game. I always try to main a newcomer in each installment.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I really won't know till I get to play them.

I generally find 3 characters to play as in Smash games, well not in 64, with 1 being a main and the other 2 being back-ups. I base who I play on how they play and how the fit my play style, not because I like the character or anything.

I'll definitely try out Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Roslina however. But no idea on mains and subs, and it will continue to be that way till I get to play Smash4.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd rather learn a veteran first so I can feel the changes to the game better. Not sure which veteran though as my personality has greatly changed over the years. Then there's the variety of changes we'll likely see with the characters. Maybe Donkey Kong or Wolf. I'd like to play a tank-ish character. ****, maybe Bowser with that revamp.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'd rather learn a veteran first so I can feel the changes to the game better. Not sure which veteran though as my personality has greatly changed over the years. Then there's the variety of changes we'll likely see with the characters. Maybe Donkey Kong or Wolf. I'd like to play a tank-ish character. ****, maybe Bowser with that revamp.
I'll probably try out all the character since, for me, each new Smash game generally means different pace of game and so a character I might have used in a past game won't feel right to me in this new game and thus will need to use new character.

It's why I don't use Melee Yoshi. He feel so alien to his 64 self, to me. Brawl Yoshi is cool though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I look for a general feel with the characters.

I just hope the big guys have reasonable speed this time. I've been gradually gravitating to those archetypes more. Still have a thing for movement heavy characters (El Fuerte, Xiaoyu, Talim).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Only Ridley and Bayonetta out of those five. At least no Goku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom