• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Reznor

work in progress
guys come on we all know when Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda game get released Wii U will pick up the pace in sales
there is nothing to worry about :smirk:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/wii-u-sees-rare-negative-sales-trend-in-second-holiday-season/'

Interestingly, the GameCube did worse than the Wii U did. At least in it's second holiday season.

So... Does that mean that the Wii U is selling better than the Gamecube?

Because that's kind of encouraging actually....
well the Gamecube did have to compete against the PS2 which is no easy task

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
guys come on we all know when Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda game get released Wii U will pick up the pace in sales
I'm not so sure anymore....

The Wii U, while a good console, has a bad word of mouth.

And that can hurt a LOT!

Also, apparently the 3DS didn't meat the sales projections they wanted. It still sold well though. Like REALLY well. Like, last time I checked, it's the best selling video gaming device of this generation. At least, as far as I understand.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Wii U just needs to expand it's gaming library. As more and more games are released, it will likely result in the sales picking up and getting back on track. Right now it could really use some more 3rd Party support though.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nintendo gave me Earthbound and is giving me Super Smash Bros. If they never produce another console again, I'll be content. Wii U and 3DS might end up being the last consoles I ever purchase.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

And that can hurt a LOT!

Also, apparently the 3DS didn't meat the sales projections they wanted. It still sold well though. Like REALLY well. Like, last time I checked, it's the best selling video gaming device of this generation. At least, as far as I understand.
To be fair their sales projections where probably too high for what was realistic. I think Nintendo just got ahead of themselves.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Wii U just needs to expand it's gaming library. More games will result in the sales picking up and getting back on track. Right now it could really use some more 3rd Party support though.
That certainly worked for the 3DS.

But I'm not so sure it will work this time...

To be fair their sales projections where probably too high for what was realistic. I think Nintendo just got ahead of themselves.
I agree, but at the same time, it reminds you how badly it's doing compared to the competitors.

Reznor

work in progress

And that can hurt a LOT!

they probably have too high of expectations for the 3DS

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I agree, but at the same time, it reminds you how badly it's doing compared to the competitors.
You're talking about the Wii U right? I'm not sure how well the PS4 and XBone are doing other than that the PS4 has already sold more than the Wii U in the UK but I'm pretty sure sales of the consoles have dropped a lot sinnce the initial launch. I know a lot of people who are holding out on the PS4 and XBone because of a lack of games.

A bit off topic, but I think my group of friends is some kind of anomaly, because 4 people (including me) own a Wii U and only 2 own a PS4.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you mean lifetime sales? Because over its lifetime, the DC sold 10.6 million units(at least, according to Wikipedia and a few other sources).
That number sounds good actually. That really failed?

What's the Wii U's current lifetime sales figure?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

What's the Wii U's current lifetime sales figure?
The Dreamcast didn't fail, Sega just realised it couldn't stay in the hardware business after the Saturn and their handhelds failed to make an impact coupled with the impending competition from the PS2.

The Wii U has sold 4.3 million units.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Dreamcast actually did very well when it was first released, until the PS2 came out not long after, which proved to be a rival the Dreamcast could not compete with.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Consider that it was less than a 9th of the PS2's sales.

Also, apparently Sega suffered a $412 Million net loss after the Japanese launch. They also apparently didn't start making a net profit again until 2003. And, unlike Nintendo today, they didn't have the money in the bank to take such a loss.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

According to VGcharts, the Wii U has actually sold more than the other two...

I'm assuming something's wrong here...

The Dreamcast didn't fail, Sega just realised it couldn't stay in the hardware business after the Saturn and their handhelds failed to make an impact coupled with the impending competition from the PS2.

The Wii U has sold 4.3 million units.
Source for the Wii U sales? And can you find the sales figures for the other two?

But the Dreamcast didn't fail? Are you serious?

Consider that it was less than a 9th of the PS2's sales.

Also, apparently Sega suffered a $412 Million net loss after the Japanese launch. They also apparently didn't start making a net profit again until 2003. And, unlike Nintendo today, they didn't have the money in the bank to take such a loss.
Interesting... Do you honestly think Nintendo can turn this around?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

According to VGcharts, the Wii U has actually sold more than the other two...

I'm assuming something's wrong here...

Source for the Wii U sales? And can you find the sales figures for the other two?

But the Dreamcast didn't fail? Are you serious?
Dreamcast didn't fail. Sega did. The Dreamcast would have sold more but Sega halted production really early.

This is a good page to compare the consoles. Lists sales as of a certain date and the source and lists the best selling game on said console.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

For Wikipedia's sources of sale numbers.
Wii U: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...l-11-million-wii-us-a-month-to-reach-its-goal
PS4: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ces-playstation-4-sales-pass-42-million
XBone: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/06/xbox-one-sales-pass-3-million-worldwide

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Dreamcast(and Sega's future in the hardware market) was doomed to failure by Sega's inability to commit to any new system over the previous half decade. Even with the Saturn, Sega had internally given up on it quite early and was basically betting all of their success on the Dreamcast.

Ironically, the reason Sega failed was because they did the thing some idiots gamers want Nintendo to do: they kept abandoning their hardware after each system/peripheral didn't do as well as they initially hoped.
Yes, but what were these numbers at the time? I'm curious.
September of last year I'd assume.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One thing I'm REAL curious about is whether the PS4 and Xbox One will continue to sell well.

Their launches were impressive for sure, but I think its going to slow down from here. I think the Xbox One is gonna go downhill soon.

I think Sony and Nintendo will continue to sell consistently. Xbox One, I'm not so sure...

September of last year I'd assume.
That doesn't answer my question.

Reznor

work in progress
One thing I'm REAL curious about is whether the PS4 and Xbox One will continue to sell well.

Their launches were impressive for sure, but I think its going to slow down from here. I think the Xbox One is gonna go downhill soon.

I think Sony and Nintendo will continue to sell consistently. Xbox One, I'm not so sure...

That doesn't answer my question.
people are returning their Xbox Ones really fats my brother works at a Best Buy says hes got a mountain of them
apparently a lot of people don't know how to make accounts on them so they just sell them back

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
people are returning their Xbox Ones really fats my brother works at a Best Buy says hes got a mountain of them
apparently a lot of people don't know how to make accounts on them so they just sell them back
It's a whole level of complex.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh really? That's actually kinda in-

Are these people morons? Or is the Xbox One that complicated?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Im guessing its the first option. I have some friends who are Xbox One enthusiasts. Today, they started an argument with my best friend as to why the Kinect was so special. They only got as far as saying "You can join a party w/o using your controller" and "You can record gameplay footage with your voice"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Xbox One is getting some bad reputation. Granted, it wasn't exactly received very well upon being unveiled either IIRC, but it's getting progressively worse. Complaints such as the console not functioning correctly, the Kinect not providing anything to enhance the gaming experience, or in some cases, making things worse. I can't forget about this:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Trust me, it's downright awful.
Really? If it's as bad as you say then the Xbox One won't do so well in the long run.

Im guessing its the first option. I have some friends who are Xbox One enthusiasts. Today, they started an argument with my best friend as to why the Kinect was so special. They only got as far as saying "You can join a party w/o using your controller" and "You can record gameplay footage with your voice"
At least most people agree the Wii U gamepad opens up lots of new gameplay possibilities.

The Xbox One is getting somebad reputation. Granted, it wasn't exactly received very well upon being unveiled either IIRC, but it's getting progressively worse. Complaints such as the console not functioning correctly, the Kinect not providing anything to enhance the gaming experience, or in some cases, making things worse. I can't forget about this:

Lol. Just lol.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of positives with the Xbox One aside from maybe Halo and Rare games.

Sony and Nintendo at least have tons of other pros.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
The Wii-U Gamepad is the reason my friends like Rayman Legends, Netflix and Super Mario 3D World. The Gamepad is a whole new option.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The game industry as a whole in is kind of a strange place right now, though all three consoles in general are probably selling decent enough I've noticed a lot of 'meh' reactions out of people including myself, I purchased the Wii U, but even then I had less enthusiasm compared to previous consoles I've purchased in the past. Not to mention the AAA industry doesn't seem to know how to effectively evolve and seem to be taking nearly everything in the wrong direction with unnecessary burden on players with unnecessary complex measures to ensure proper system operation, anti-piracy measures that don't work, and the industry increased paranoia over used games. As games continue to go higher and higher in cost, many AAA publisher completely disconnected on what they can realistically make off titles, and the increase number of games getting release not only on consoles but also other mobile devices as well...

Honestly, I have to say it's not a particularly pretty picture at the moment. It's not just Nintendo, I think quite a few developers are heading into trouble.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I once saw a video of a guy doing a stream while playing xbox one online( the game was Fifa 14). He was talking to the people while gaming and the xbox brought him to the voice menu two times in a single match, and he spend like 10~15 seconds to close it. While the menu was open, he could play and he got really furious.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I honestly think that the Wii U will sell more over time, with Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors coming, I think it will end well for Nintendo. It'll be like the 3DS, it didn't sell well at first, but in the end, everyone has one.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I personally thought the tablet thing was really awesome when I first saw it in it's tech demo.

Having the tv showing one image and the wii u controller and bringing it around him seeing different parts of the world seemed like some kind of secret world that could only be viewed through a magic mirror or something.

I am severely behind in technology though

Never had a smart phone or tablet

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The voice commands on Kinect are only there troll people. I found it amusing to annoy my friends when they were playing Halo Anniversary Edition by constantly yelling BRIGHTER, BRIGHTER, DARKER, DARKER, RELOAD, PAUSE, THROW GRENADE, CHANGE WEAPON!
It screwed me over one time though when I was playing and said change graphics when a cutscene started up because after the cutscene there were no visuals at all and it was in the middle of a fight with the flood and if I said change graphics it wouldn't change in time before I died so I had to fight through a whole bunch of flood with nothing but audio.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The voice commands on Kinect are only there troll people. I found it amusing to annoy my friends when they were playing Halo Anniversary Edition by constantly yelling BRIGHTER, BRIGHTER, DARKER, DARKER, RELOAD, PAUSE, THROW GRENADE, CHANGE WEAPON!
It screwed me over one time though when I was playing and said change graphics when a cutscene started up because after the cutscene there were no visuals at all and it was in the middle of a fight with the flood and if I said change graphics it wouldn't change in time before I died so I had to fight through a whole bunch of flood with nothing but audio.
Is Halo Anniversary edition any good?

I got it for someone for Christmas but I have never had it myself.

Does it have all the Halo maps remade in it? Or not...

There are some multiplayer maps I'd like to play again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom