• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Let's not forget about how there are belt tests. In my TKD days, we had them every ten weeks and you had to be pre-approved to take them (i.e. are you ready to take it). Then there's the costs behind them. I never understood why I had to buy a belt to prove my proficiency.

So what style?
Yeah. That's pretty much how they do it at my school. I honestly just think it's so they can make more money. The style is Hung Fut.

But ANYWAYS, I think achievements can be fun in a trivial sort of way, but they should never be a cornerstone of a game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm one of those people that really digs acheivements, but wouldn't mind at all if Sakurai does his Challenges thing again. They're pretty similar with more reward.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think achievements can be fun in a trivial sort of way, but they should never be a cornerstone of a game.
I agree with this entirely.

I actually meant in my previous post that criticizing a game for not having an achievement system is stupid.

I'm one of those people that really digs acheivements, but wouldn't mind at all if Sakurai does his Challenges thing again. They're pretty similar with more reward.
Considering he's done that for Kirby Air Ride, Brawl and, recently, Kid Icarus: Uprising, I wouldn't be surprised if it returned.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't have a problem with achievements myself. I find them as little extras to help extend the replay value of single player games. Otherwise, if I were reviewing games, I wouldn't take achievements/trophies into account. I would really like it if achievements actually unlocked stuff like with Sakurai's games. At least that way, the unlocking is attached to an account.

And Hung Fut? I'm not familiar with it. I want to say my school has/had mostly northern styles like my Monkey style. Had to say goodbye last Saturday due to graduation, but I hope to return someday.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used to take Tae Kwan Do when I was young, and I advanced in belts. But then a girl I knew decided to visit the class and said I looked stupid. So I stopped going.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I bit the present emphasis on achievements a bit ironic.

Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda were among the first games that emphasised gameplay over scoring points (which are the most rudimentary form of achievements.) Well, as they say, History repeats itself.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Taekwondo is a joke, you learn absolutely nothing that could ever be applied to an actual fight, all their graceful and awe inspiring movements are impractical and provide little to no stopping power, they are also useless against combatants in close range.
Not to mention most of the Taekwondo people I have personal experience with are arrogant jerks right out of the gate or extremely cold and tense people.

I was at a KSDI seminar, the man who was giving the seminar made this opening speech: 'I practiced Taekwondo for 40 years before I realized it was bull****', you would all be wise to recognize the same.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I remember my TKD instructor telling us that it isn't useful in actual combat. :p :laugh:
Maybe that's why I stopped after I got a Yellow Belt. (Martial Arts just aren't my thing. :urg:)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Taekwondo is a joke, you learn absolutely nothing that could ever be applied to an actual fight, all their graceful and awe inspiring movements are impractical and provide little to no stopping power, they are also useless against combatants in close range.
Not to mention most of the Taekwondo people I have personal experience with are arrogant jerks right out of the gate or extremely cold and tense people.

I was at a KSDI seminar, the man who was giving the seminar made this opening speech: 'I practiced Taekwondo for 40 years before I realized it was bull****', you would all be wise to recognize the same.
I noticed this at competitions. It felt like you couldn't do anything up close.

D

Deleted member

First degree blackbelt here, with 8 years of TKD and 2 of Muay Thai and Jiujutsu.

You should put your money where your mouth is, because like all martial arts its about the teacher and about how much work you put into becoming a good fighter. You become a better fighter by fighting, period. Not by practicing shadow movements all day. It doesn't matter the Martial Art you learn. TKD has a ton of very useful and well-rounded tools for fighting, you just gotta learn to apply them.

Don't believe me?

Look up Kwonkicker on youtube, or Brendan Foster. Both are mean as **** fighters and both specialize in TKD. Foster's won several MMA tournaments and the like and has been featured in a couple shows.

MA is about learning your style and learning to compensate for its weaknesses. ALL styles have weaknesses. The idiots who spout that MT, or Boxing are THE BEST. Are morons who have never bothered to train outside of their keyboard, and think they are pro-as-**** fighters because they watch UFC.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the other important thing to mention is how some of these schools and instructors work. You've got those that will train you for real life situations and others for sport. It seems that most fall under the latter.

D

Deleted member

So like... are you a cyberdude or a cyberlady?

But anyway, I look forward to when the genetic code is completely understood, the... BRAIN code? when "thought" literally becomes a programming language, and... small-scale atomic manipulation. That's a thing right? Manipulate life, manipulate matter, manipulate our very thoughts. TECHNOLOGY OF THE GODS THEMSELVES. Or something. IF I EVER WRITE SCIENCE FICTION I THINK THOSE WOULD BE THE MAIN THINGS I WOULD WORK WITH.
Cyberdude dude.

All the way.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we existed in a cyber universe, could we change our "form" at will? If so, why limit yourself to just a dude

D

Deleted member

If we existed in a cyber universe, could we change our "form" at will? If so, why limit yourself to just a dude
Because I LIKE being a dude.

I'd hate being a girl. I like ****ing girls, but having to put up with having milkbags on my chest and periods would suck.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because I LIKE being a dude.

I'd hate being a girl. I like ****ing girls, but having to put up with having milkbags on my chest and periods would suck.
Male breasts actually have the ability to produce milk, you just need to pump your body with estrogen and they can begin functioning

They've got all the working parts

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Cyber-opossums could be cool...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But it'll be a thriller day, not a thriller night. Unless it's like last time where we found out that evening.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If you want to do the martial arts, then you should probably do whatever Bruce Lee did since he was the best at them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you want to do the martial arts, then you should probably do whatever Bruce Lee did since he was the best at them.
Like picking characters in a videogame (assuming it's balanced), which style to choose should suit your personality and probably your body type.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah like you could be a seahorse and experience the joys of being male but also get pregnant. Or you could be a female seahorse and experience the joys of sticking your junk in other seahorses without getting pregnant but with the problems being female like lower pay and stuff.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah like you could be a seahorse and experience the joys of being male but also get pregnant. Or you could be a female seahorse and experience the joys of sticking your junk in other seahorses without getting pregnant but with the problems being female like lower pay and stuff.
Or, you know. Being a dragon.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No talking about pregnancy while I'm around. I may start ovulating.

#pregnancyenvy

it's real.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Isn't it essentially almost a male Electra Complex?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Or be a female cat where sex always ends painfully.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Female mantises kill the males after having sex to ensure that the male doesn't have sex with another female.

How is the male killed? By having his head bitten.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Male Electra complex = Oedipus complex.
From what I know, that's not necessarily the case. As the Electra complex is essentially "penis envy," I figured that Karen Horney's theory of Womb Envy was the closest to what Shorts was describing, and the male equivalent. While related, the Oedipus complex was more or less just a man wanting to have sex with his mother, because Freud was weird.

But yeah.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Fact: male mantises tend to avoid approaching hungry female mantises.

The reason for the females killing (and eating) the males is debated, though. Many explanations have been given, but none proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom