• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I tend to not think of ideas as evil or not. Rather I think of it as dangerous. A philosophy that encourages nothingness and calls life meaningless to me can be very dangerous. There is some truth in it but not wanting to pander beliefs, I do feel their is a meaning to life. I see life as a test given by God to determine who we really are with certain people passing that go to heaven and other people failing and they go to hell.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Nihilism isn't evil. Ethically speaking (the philosophy relative to our lives), it just means that value is something we assert and that conduct is something we use for advantages. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I can't find any reason to think that life isn't as such.
As an Objectivist, I would say that there's EVERYTHING wrong with that. To adopt Nihilism means rejecting not just morality, but reality and consciousness as well, which is inherently evil.

D

Deleted member

Sheik: Nothing more than a crossdressing Zelda.

End of debate.
Says you. You know nothing of Japan and their love of Futanari if you think Sheik doesn't have a penis.

For Christ's sake, Saber canonically had a Penis for some time according to the Fate canon. And she's a genderbent moe King Arthur.

On the philosophy topic.

I dunno, I don't classify myself as anything. All I know is that I really liked aspecsts of Nietzche's philosophy.

Like all literature, 50% is what the author intended you to grasp from his writings based on his exp, and 50% is what you yourself interpret when reading it based on your own personal exp.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Says you. You know nothing of Japan and their love of Futanari if you think Sheik doesn't have a penis.

For Christ's sake, Saber canonically had a Penis for some time according to the Fate canon. And she's a genderbent moe King Arthur.
When it comes to that can we just discredit it? I mean c'mon it makes no sense and is absolutely ridiculous. And why did you capitalize penis?

D

Deleted member

When it comes to that can we just discredit it? I mean c'mon it makes no sense and is absolutely ridiculous. And why did you capitalize penis?
Because My Penis is Mighty, so I MUST always Emphasize it's POWER.

I dunno, it's just a bad habit of mine when typing, I sometimes capitalize random words

Also, why discredit it. Zelda using magic to change gender is no stretch, nor is it something Nintendo wouldn't do, especially considering Birdo.

C'mon man, Okamas are funny. You ever watch One Piece? Japan likes poking fun at the srsbsns trangender issues in the West.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nietzche wasn't entirely Nihilistic as he did sum up a meaning of life being to allow the strong to live in luxury and achieve great things (art, literature, technology, etc.) for mankind.

You can see how Nietzche's philosophy influenced Hitler heavily with his view of a strong German race that would rule the world and take it into a great golden age. The Nazis engaged in great building projects and large humanistic projects.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You misunderstand, I didn't say I reject morality. It wouldn't make sense to deny it. My belief is that "right" and "wrong", preferred ways of conducting ourselves, are either there for psychological or societal benefit. Laws and social interaction. We just live our lives trying to exist and enjoy ourselves, and morality, our conduct, is the manner in which we do it. Of course there are ways that are more useful than others. So what I reject is saying that there is a sense of objective rightness and wrongness, which you being Objectivist would disagree with.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Because My Penis is Mighty, so I MUST always Emphasize it's POWER.

I dunno, it's just a bad habit of mine when typing, I sometimes capitalize random words

Also, why discredit it. Zelda using magic to change gender is no stretch, nor is it something Nintendo wouldn't do, especially considering Birdo.
But there is quite literally no point to use magic to change gender. All she needed to do was disguise herself. You're saying she would give herself a **** just to complete the look? See? This is what I'm talking about. We really shouldn't be having this discussion right now.

D

Deleted member

But there is quite literally no point to use magic to change gender. All she needed to do was disguise herself. You're saying she would give herself a **** just to complete the look? See? This is what I'm talking about. We really shouldn't be having this discussion right now.
No, I'm saying she changed her gender period because males and females have different frames. The penis just comes with it.

I don't think need to point out the differences since they are rather obvious. Sheik has a more masculine frame than Zelda, looking more like a young man, than a princess.

Having a character change gender in Japanese media isn't new. Once again, One Piece and Ivankov's Hormone Fruit. Likewise Ranma 1/2. Considering Zelda is a mage, and the fact that she uses Magic to transform in Smash, it would make sense that she's changing her gender, especially since her abilities across both character differ quite greatly. I need not argue that Sheik becomes much more agile and nimble than Zelda, obviously her physical abilities change, which means obviously her body changes. How come we don't see Zelda doing flips and **** in neither Smash nor LoZ? I'm not saying Zelda herself isn't fit, as she clearly is, being able to do archery on horseback and all (real talk, that **** ain't no joke, ****'s ****ing PRO archery), but it's clear she enhances her physical abilities as a Sheikah. Why deny the obvious, when there is NO proof to the contrary?

EDIT:
**** it, since someone is gonna miss the clear diferences in frames I'll just point them out:

-Broader back on males
-wider shoulders on males
-larger ribcage on males
-larger cranium on males
-longer proportial limbs on males
-larger pelvis on females
-different shaped pelvis on females
-shorter gap between ribcage and pelvis on females

And that's not even getting into general bodyfat distribution and the organs.
Protip, females tend to have more bodyfat than males. Especially if they are well endowed (hips and breasts).

You can wrap boobies in bandages all you want, but there is a limit to it (depending on breast size obviously), and there is still a bulge (usually poking out from the from the top). Not to mention this is INCREDIBLY uncomforable for girls.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Every form of Japanese media on Zelda JUST has Zelda changing costumes though

The manga and the new hardback book

D

Deleted member

Every form of Japanese media on Zelda JUST has Zelda changing costumes though

The manga and the new hardback book
Manga isn't canon though.

Just like the western handbook for Metroid isn't either.

In other words, Samus is NOT 6'4 and 198lbs.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Wish my school had a philosophy class, actually being a philosophy teacher is a career I'm interested in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Manly
Have you seen the Kochikame anime? The policeman/woman who was in love with Ryotsu? (Forgot the name.)

I believe Sheik is like that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wasn't Hyrule Historia created to end all Zelda fan arguements?

The timeline, etc.

It even includes sheik's gender confirmed as female

D

Deleted member

That is old news already. LOL

Just another rumor... I like to assume these things as fake unless there's evidence proving otherwise.
I dunno, I remember hearing somewhere else that Mario WiiU is scheduled for an October release.

That doesn't seem too farfetched.

Also, considering the situation, it might be legit. Nintendo needs to churn out everything it can ASAP. To sell those consoles.
Now if this is true for Smash, it could mean one of two things:
A. The game will have less content than Brawl and will be more gameplay oriented (best case scenario). Also kiss goodbye to the 3DS version (unless it's a port).

B. The game will be a friggin mess. Worst Smash in the series for sure. Dev costs and the quick release will mean wayyy more clones than Brawl, with a lot of superficial elements and an engine ported over from Brawl to speed up development.

D

Deleted member

Gender-confused individuals are not on the same grounds as futanari. (Aside from that, Birdo is a horrible comparison; there's more than one Birdo and bounds are at least one of them is a legit female.)
Futanari are too "much" for the lack of a better word to be officially associated with Nintendo.
Hidden innuendo is one thing; chicks with ***** is another entirely.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I dunno, I remember hearing somewhere else that Mario WiiU is scheduled for an October release.

That doesn't seem too farfetched.

Also, considering the situation, it might be legit. Nintendo needs to churn out everything it can ASAP. To sell those consoles.
Now if this is true for Smash, it could mean one of two things:
A. The game will have less content than Brawl and will be more gameplay oriented (best case scenario). Also kiss goodbye to the 3DS version (unless it's a port).

B. The game will be a friggin mess. Worst Smash in the series for sure. Dev costs and the quick release will mean wayyy more clones than Brawl, with a lot of superficial elements and an engine ported over from Brawl to speed up development.
Mario Wii U in October IS NOT farfetched. But with SSB4, knowing Sakurai and what happened with both Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising, we might have countless delays again and the game releases a lot of time after the promised release date.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I doubt that's true, says the wii-u zelda game will come in the fall, development for the game didn't start until Q1 of this year

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Wasn't Wind Waker HD meant to come out this fall? I would take a guess and say that people mixed up Zelda Wii U with Wind Waker HD...
If people mixed it up, I would say it's not from nintendo, actually, when did this list come out

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, I wish my high school offered a Philosophy class...it kind of sucks; even if they did add one, I wouldn't be able to experience it, considering I only have one year left and already scheduled for it...now you see why I feel so young here...

Maybe in college as an elective...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeck. Philosophy. Seems like people who carry themselves as philosophers are always buttwads, and when they enter a debate, it goes no where.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Nietzche thought he knew the human mind; however, he had no friends.
On the subject of philosophy and western civilization, and well, really what all English classes try to achieve. . . You CANNOT know western civilization or philosophy without reading or studying the Bible. Why don't we have this in high school? Why don't we study or read Aquinas? Why do we ignore so much, what's wrong with our educational system? Keep in mind this is coming from my Psychology teacher (in high school) that has a masters in Anthropology and Psychology (Doing his whatever they do for the PH.D.) and is a Wiccan (a Norseman specifically, but his wife is Lutheran). When Hatch walked in to the principals about teaching a "Philosophy and Comparative Religion" course, he was laughed out because of one reason: "Someone might complain". If our education continues down the path of political correctness we won't learn anything important. . . (keep in mind that I want to abolish public schooling all together :p)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Regarding Sheik: the face is shaped quite differently from Zelda's. Especially the eyes.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Nietzche thought he knew the human mind; however, he had no friends.
On the subject of philosophy and western civilization, and well, really what all English classes try to achieve. . . You CANNOT know western civilization or philosophy without reading or studying the Bible. Why don't we have this in high school? Why don't we study or read Aquinas? Why do we ignore so much, what's wrong with our educational system? Keep in mind this is coming from my Psychology teacher (in high school) that has a masters in Anthropology and Psychology (Doing his paper for the PH.D.) and is a Wiccan (a Norseman specifically, but his wife is Lutheran). When Hatch walked in to the principals about teaching a "Philosophy and Comparative Religion" course, he was laughed out because of one reason: "Someone might complain". If our education continues down the path of political correctness we won't learn anything important. . . (keep in mind that I want to abolish public schooling all together )
well you might like Utah

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
We're all philosophers though, to varying degrees, because we all think about things. Philosophia: the love of wisdom. Reading The Symposium by Plato was really interesting because it has Socrates talking about how love is to mean longing for something we don't possess, and looking at the meaning of the word philosophy you get that to be a philosopher is to not possess wisdom but to be a seeker and no more. Which is interesting because that embodied the spirit of the Socratic dialogues. Whether it's a coincidence or not I am not sure.

While we may all be philosophers in that sense, we all don't study the discipline of philosophy. And those who do study the discipline of philosophy postulate their lack of employment.

Kidding, it's main benefit is to have it as a major to either take for the LSAT, or become a professor, or get it as a minor to show to employers that you have critical thinking skills to use, or simply use the education in order to publish philosophical works. Unfortunately I have no passion for the first two options and no interest in another major, and I don't believe anything philosophical I could write would be very groundbreaking. Plus college makes me do so much more than what I actually want to do and makes me pay for it.

MonK4: I don't think possessing friends is a prerequisite to have a philosophical understanding of the mind. Besides that means I have no way of understanding minds then. :p

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
MonK4: I don't think possessing friends is a prerequisite to have a philosophical understanding of the mind. Besides that means I have no way of understanding minds then. :p
It certainly helps, I'll say that ;)
And I agree, we're all philosophers in a sense, or at least we should be, it's a huge part of the human psyche, it just saddens me that so many avoid philosophy now, or really any thinking, those are the men who go by feelings, you know, however they feel is right, their decisions irrational and harmful. In fact, my old friend suddenly became an absolute jerk to me, I told him he has changed and he LITERALLY said: "Logic is stupid." :(
One of the things I call it is "Moral Relativism".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Philosophy and Botany. Two different classes I wish my high school offered, but don't.

...then again, I've never heard of a high school that offers a Botany course, but still.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wish I was able to respond to the philosophical things post by post but I had been studying for a big final. I was thinking though that students need to be taught art, philosophy, music (and not just recorders), some degree of economics (save that for highschool), and maybe some very basic programming.

Anyway, I want to say that I don't consider myself nihilistic. When I said to live is to die, I also meant that life is what you make of it. I believe in some sort of afterlife, but what I don't know and I'm wondering if I should even be concerned.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We where already dead before we where born. We now have this thing called life, which is honestly all we own. So live life to the fullest, cause it's all full of troubles, fears, worries and again more troubles. Live joyful, and do the things you like without being restrained by others.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
This talk... Its deep man.
YOLO

So anyways, I legitimately think Roy is pretty cool now. I like the idea of him being counter reliant in order to follow into combos. Not completely reliant, mind you. And I'm not sure I want Roy to be Marth-weak or mid (between Marth and Ike and strength.), mostly because I also see Lucina and Chrom functioning like this.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
IMO, death is what help brings life to a full circle

Knowing that you have a time limit gives you appreciation for life, and the willingness to make the most out of it while making your impact on the things and people around you

That's one of the reasons why I would never want to live forever, honestly the idea of always living frightens me more than anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom