• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Living forever would be pretty cool, but only if there were a few other additions alongside it. Eternal youth, invulnerability, immunity to all sickness, to name a few. Also a particular definition of "forever," like, until the universe ends or something. I don't think there could be anything worse than standing in a universe full of nothing but cold hydrogen (or whatever the death of the universe is supposed to look like these days). Floating around in the ashes of everything that had been or could have been would get a little depressing. "This frozen hydrogen atom reminds me of one that passed through my wife billions and billions of years ago."

Oh, magic pen and paper would be nice too. Never run out. That way you don't forget everything. Imagine living to the point where you couldn't recall anything out of sheer longevity. The very epitome of meaninglessness?!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought the very epitome of meaninglessness was nunchucks. Seriously people, it's just two sticks attached to rope, I'd be more effective if you whacked people with squirrels. Squirrels solve every problem... or was that penguins?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I thought the very epitome of meaninglessness was nunchucks. Seriously people, it's just two sticks attached to rope, I'd be more effective if you whacked people with squirrels. Squirrels solve every problem... or was that penguins?
I hope you were referencing this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They are spinning flails. Do you know what happens when you hit someone in the head with a flail?

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
IMO, death is what help brings life to a full circle

Knowing that you have a time limit gives you appreciation for life, and the willingness to make the most out of it while making your impact on the things and people around you

That's one of the reasons why I would never want to live forever, honestly the idea of always living frightens me more than anything
Looks like we are different, death is the reason why I'm always depressed, it makes me feel like time is running out yet everything I do will be meaningless. I wish I could observe how humanity advances, how the game industry will be in 100 years etc without worring that I might be dead the next day.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, seeing that I sometimes forget about things that might/will happen the next day, I hardly care about the fact that I'll have to die sometime in the future. I really find no point in worrying about something which is inevitable and can't be controlled.

I just enjoy life as it is and it comes to me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
No point in getting all wound up over life. I'm not sure if you believe this life is just the end or not, but for me, I have a pretty excellent faith over what's going to happen in the end.

D

Deleted member

Living forever would be pretty cool, but only if there were a few other additions alongside it. Eternal youth, invulnerability, immunity to all sickness, to name a few. Also a particular definition of "forever," like, until the universe ends or something. I don't think there could be anything worse than standing in a universe full of nothing but cold hydrogen (or whatever the death of the universe is supposed to look like these days). Floating around in the ashes of everything that had been or could have been would get a little depressing. "This frozen hydrogen atom reminds me of one that passed through my wife billions and billions of years ago."

Oh, magic pen and paper would be nice too. Never run out. That way you don't forget everything. Imagine living to the point where you couldn't recall anything out of sheer longevity. The very epitome of meaninglessness?!
I dunno about you guys. But I plan on getting cybernetic enhancements when they become available and extending my lifespan to 150 years of being young and handsomu.

First thing I'll replace will be my eyes. Unlike Adam Jensen, I ASKED for this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
^Not sure if serious.

Anyways, if I had to get a cybernetic enhancement, I would want something that can help me remember anything as long as I want. Like a hard drive in my brain. lol.

So that I could delete any unpleasant memories as well

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nietzche thought he knew the human mind; however, he had no friends.
On the subject of philosophy and western civilization, and well, really what all English classes try to achieve. . . You CANNOT know western civilization or philosophy without reading or studying the Bible. Why don't we have this in high school? Why don't we study or read Aquinas? Why do we ignore so much, what's wrong with our educational system? Keep in mind this is coming from my Psychology teacher (in high school) that has a masters in Anthropology and Psychology (Doing his whatever they do for the PH.D.) and is a Wiccan (a Norseman specifically, but his wife is Lutheran). When Hatch walked in to the principals about teaching a "Philosophy and Comparative Religion" course, he was laughed out because of one reason: "Someone might complain". If our education continues down the path of political correctness we won't learn anything important. . . (keep in mind that I want to abolish public schooling all together :p)

US bans stuff because it "offends people." Totally lame argument and it is unconstitutional to ban that kind of subjects. It is kind of like Ten Commandments in that they represent several religions so therefore how are you establishing A RELIGION by having them on government property. Makes no sense but typically if you whine enough like athiests do, you get your way. Especially if you have a lot of money.

volbound1700

Smash Master
IMO, death is what help brings life to a full circle

Knowing that you have a time limit gives you appreciation for life, and the willingness to make the most out of it while making your impact on the things and people around you

That's one of the reasons why I would never want to live forever, honestly the idea of always living frightens me more than anything
Interestingly in Greek mythology the gods often envied the mortals because they did die and it made their actions more meaningful and emotional. They loved more, they fought harder, they worked under the mentality of the doom of their existence that they would die.

D

Deleted member

^Not sure if serious.

Anyways, if I had to get a cybernetic enhancement, I would want something that can help me remember anything as long as I want. Like a hard drive in my brain. lol.

So that I could delete any unpleasant memories as well
No, I'm being dead serious. As long as it doesn't lead to uploading my brain to the internet (which would result in suicide), I embrace transhumanism 100%. I'm ready for my cyborg body that will let me live longer and visit other planets no problem.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
No, I'm being dead serious. As long as it doesn't lead to uploading my brain to the internet (which would result in suicide), I embrace transhumanism 100%. I'm ready for my cyborg body that will let me live longer and visit other planets no problem.
So like... are you a cyberdude or a cyberlady?

But anyway, I look forward to when the genetic code is completely understood, the... BRAIN code? when "thought" literally becomes a programming language, and... small-scale atomic manipulation. That's a thing right? Manipulate life, manipulate matter, manipulate our very thoughts. TECHNOLOGY OF THE GODS THEMSELVES. Or something. IF I EVER WRITE SCIENCE FICTION I THINK THOSE WOULD BE THE MAIN THINGS I WOULD WORK WITH.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well there are increasing studies that are saying that it is very likely that we will achieve a future where we can upload our consciousness into some sort of digital form. That is if AI doesn't wipe out humanity first (also looking more and more likely).

Also, I agree that you can't fully understand of Western culture (especially American culture) without having an understanding of The Bible. It explains why our culture worships altruism and views selfishness as taboo. It explains why people think there can be no objective morality, because when there's an almighty being that will send you to an infinite torture universe for being bad, it kind of takes the thought out of morality all together. Not to mention the views on sexuality in general.

HOWEVER, you can get a pretty good grasp of The Bible/Judeo-Christian Mythology's effect on Western culture without having to actually STUDY the Bible. If we're being rational, we should treat the book just like The Edda and Metamorphoses.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well there are increasing studies that are saying that it is very likely that we will achieve a future where we can upload our consciousness into some sort of digital form. That is if AI doesn't wipe out humanity first (also looking more and more likely).

Also, I agree that you can't fully understand of Western culture (especially American culture) without having an understanding of The Bible. It explains why our culture worships altruism and views selfishness as taboo. It explains why people think there can be no objective morality, because when there's an almighty being that will send you to an infinite torture universe for being bad, it kind of takes the thought out of morality all together. Not to mention the views on sexuality in general.

HOWEVER, you can get a pretty good grasp of The Bible/Judeo-Christian Mythology's effect on Western culture without having to actually STUDY the Bible. If we're being rational, we should treat the book just like The Edda and Metamorphoses.
Would the consciousness be the exact person, or just a copy of that person?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So like... are you a cyberdude or a cyberlady?

But anyway, I look forward to when the genetic code is completely understood, the... BRAIN code? when "thought" literally becomes a programming language, and... small-scale atomic manipulation. That's a thing right? Manipulate life, manipulate matter, manipulate our very thoughts. TECHNOLOGY OF THE GODS THEMSELVES. Or something. IF I EVER WRITE SCIENCE FICTION I THINK THOSE WOULD BE THE MAIN THINGS I WOULD WORK WITH.
Honestly, such a thought makes me very uneasy.

Then, of course, this is the question of the soul. If that thing exists (and I think it does), can it be broken down to the point it can be simulated by code or is it possibly the one thing that can't be rendered to such complex simplicity.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Would the consciousness be the exact person, or just a copy of that person?
That's the main question. Even if we THOUGHT we were actually transferring the exact same consciousness, we would never have any way to truly know (unless we one day have a complete understanding of the human mind). It could easily just kill the person and have a copy uploaded, so the copy would THINK that they're the original, but in reality, that specific consciousness is brand new. Hopefully we can eventually discover how the mind works and how to extract it from the brain. Immortality would be pretty awesome.

Edit @Kuma: As soon as you factor souls into the debate, the burden of proof falls on you. You also need to define exactly what a soul is, where it comes from, and where it goes upon death. You also need to answer what the point of a soul is (besides making Philosopher's Stones). When you start dealing in the nebulous realm of unprovables, things become very difficult to discuss entirely logically.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't know, I would think immortality would suck. Everyone around you is going to eventually die, but you won't. You get to the point where you're absolutely detached from the universe. I mean, why try to make friends with people if you know that they'll die, but you never do?

Then there's just this feeling that immortality would make us stagnant.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Honestly, such a thought makes me very uneasy.

Then, of course, this is the question of the soul. If that thing exists (and I think it does), can it be broken down to the point it can be simulated by code or is it possibly the one thing that can't be rendered to such complex simplicity.
I bet we could make a bomb out of it.

Anyway, I don't know why you need some magic word like soul to describe the real things you feel and the ideas and memories you leave behind. I mean those are pretty cool? Not that soul is useless AS A WORD itself.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think on there was an episode of "Through the Wormhole" narrated by Morgan Freeman that was about the possibility of immortality. It talked about how there are scientists examining the aging process in order to stop or slow it, and there were others trying to make it possible to cryogenically freeze people without there being cracks in the ice that kill our brains so we could come out after a set time in the future where immortality may have been invented. I can't remember it all too well, but it was interesting.

And why make friends with people when you know they'll eventually die? Because you'll know them before they die. And I can't imagine myself being stagnant as an immortal considering I don't find my actions to be driven by my mortality, in fact my mortality basically never comes across my mind, almost as if its a nonexistent thing. I just live my life and try to enjoy it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather have Demonic Piercing Light Murder Gun

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think on there was an episode of "Through the Wormhole" narrated by Morgan Freeman that was about the possibility of immortality. It talked about how there are scientists examining the aging process in order to stop or slow it, and there were others trying to make it possible to cryogenically freezing people without there being cracks in the ice that kill our brains so we could come out after a set time in the future where immortality may have been invented. I can't remember it all too well, but it was interesting.

And why make friends with people when you know they'll eventually die? Because you'll know them before they die. And I can't imagine myself being stagnant as an immortal considering I don't find my actions to be driven by my mortality, in fact my mortality basically never comes across my mind, almost as if its a nonexistent thing. I just live my life and try to enjoy it.
An Walt Disney is the guinea pig.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently they actually unfroze walt disney to voice mickey mouse in a new disney short they are advertising as an old one. (It's not)

Edit: Apparently game reviewers giving games bad reviews because they don't have "achievements" is a thing nowadays. WTF needs a digital pin to feel they've accomplish something? What happened to setting up your own goals and feeling the reward of achieving them yourself instead of someone giving you goals and a pin as a reward?

Edit Edit: I don't need an achievement in Minecraft when I complete a structure or a complicated redstone contraption to feel I accomplished something.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Apparently they actually unfroze walt disney to voice mickey mouse in a new disney short they are advertising as an old one. (It's not)

Edit: Apparently game reviewers giving games bad reviews because they don't have "achievements" is a thing nowadays. WTF needs a digital pin to feel they've accomplish something? What happened to setting up your own goals and feeling the reward of achieving them yourself instead of someone giving you goals and a pin as a reward?

Edit Edit: I don't need an achievement in Minecraft when I complete a structure or a complicated redstone contraption to feel I accomplished something.
This kind of ties into the whole "mindless generation" discussion we were talking about a few days ago. People no longer are compelled to enjoy games for fun. Everything now has to have a goal that can be achieved easily. Achievements are a way to artificially add "replay value." I personally experienced this shift in World of Warcraft, but the entire gaming industry had bent to this over the past 8 years or so.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

This reminds me of the shift I experienced from TKD to learning Kung Fu. The latter has no belts. The only way you made progress was if you learend something new or refined your techniques. I actually preferred this to the belt system and encouraged my sister to try it out, but she said she liked the belt system without trying the other.

This might be also why fighting games can be so appealing. Those stupid achievements don't mean anything.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
This reminds me of the shift I experienced from TKD to learning Kung Fu. The latter has no belts. The only way you made progress was if you learend something new or refined your techniques. I actually preferred this to the belt system and encouraged my sister to try it out, but she said she liked the belt system without trying the other.
That's a really good point. My kung fu school actually uses a belt system because, and I quote, "Americans love their belts." It just goes to show the direction our culture is headed.

D

Deleted member

"What kind of belt do you have?"
"Canvas. You like? JC Penney, $3.98. *laugh*"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Achievement system is stupid, unless you unlock stuff with them.

Personally, I like Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising's achievement system for its uniqueness compared to the usual achievement system nowadays.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's a really good point. My kung fu school actually uses a belt system because, and I quote, "Americans love their belts." It just goes to show the direction our culture is headed.
Let's not forget about how there are belt tests. In my TKD days, we had them every ten weeks and you had to be pre-approved to take them (i.e. are you ready to take it). Then there's the costs behind them. I never understood why I had to buy a belt to prove my proficiency.

So what style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom