• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
While Smash news would be nice i'm not expecting anything(character related) until mid-late december
Probably going to have to wait until next year once the holidays are over. Once Nintendo figures out where they stand with the Wii U after the last two months will probably determine if we get another panic, pre-E3 style Direct like the one this January -- doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If we're saying that the reason we won't get a Smash reveal tomorrow at VGX is because "Sakurai doesn't update on weekends", then that's not a good excuse.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Im just eager to see what Nintendo has been eluding too this whole time! Smash, Zelda, Donkey Kong, I don't mind! anything is better than nothing!
Also if I may APC99, think about it this way, every smash game has been awesome in its own right! and you can be SURE this game will too be awesome! A lot of times (IMO) screen shots, while nice....do not do the final product justice, so remember that as time goes on this game will only get better! =) hope that helps some!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not going to rule out the possibility of a Smash trailer during VGX just yet, though I don't really think it's likely, and I'm certainly NOT expecting one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's Zelda U, Bayonetta 2, or something Smash we're not expecting. Somehow, within a couple of minutes, I'm not sure how, I've lost a lot of faith in a lot of characters.

-The Assist Trophies are making me begin to doubt Waluigi, Little Mac, Isaac and such.
-Sakurai doesn't want to be vain, ruling out Bandanna Dee and Palutena.
-Ridley seems very unlikely, "not working in Brawl".
-King K. Rool and Dixie Kong don't even seem on the radar, with K. Rool kind of forgotten and Dixie being a shell of her former self.
-Miis are beginning to sound stupider and stupider to me, and Pac-Man is seeming like Namco won't want to invade onto Smash.
-The large desire for Reggie is seriously making me rub my head.
-Toad's basically deconfirmed.
-A lot of retros (Mach Rider, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, Lip) all seem like Sakurai wouldn't consider them.

I'm losing faith in Smash Bros. Wii U. Truly, the only things I really was hoping for was Mega Man. And now I have it. But what else is there? I'm not sure why I'm suddenly so depressed, but I really hope I'm wrong. I just... want to do something. It's been so boring and painful over here, and I want to do something with friends, but I can't. Everything's kind of crumbling down on me, and I need something to make me ignore my problems.
In addition to what a couple others already said about some of the characters you went over there (props on BKupa's post and I guess King's too), Diddy Kong (not referring to the user, lol) was kinda already a shell of his former self before he got added to Brawl after Rare left, and Retro's DKC games downplaying him certainly hasn't been helping with that either. As such, I don't think all that really affects Dixie as far as her chances in Sm4sh goes. If Diddy could get in despite everything, then so could she. She's certainly on the radar. K. Rool is questionable, though I'd prefer him over Dixie, but at the same time, wouldn't count her out either just because she may be a shell of her former self.

A lot of the others listed are kinda wildcards at this point frankly, though I do agree with you on Waluigi and such due to the recent reveal of assist trophies. Also agree on Reggie's support, which I guess can be considered another case of a joke being taken too far. Still don't expect him in Sm4sh, but it gets old seeing all the talk about him pretty fast.

I HOPE YOU GUYS ARE ENJOYING YOUR DRMBONES!
Saw that earlier and it made me just cringe more than it did make me laugh, but it suits anyone who tries getting into that Kinect **** I guess.

Caught the most awful migraine I've had in a long time which slowed me down from making this post and doing other things, even after taking some medication for it awhile ago. Ugh.

And I actually don't care that much about the VGX in particular (never really have), so kinda hard for me to be disappointed by whatever they show, which I'll probably only halfassedly pay attention to depending on what it is.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Best to take VGX with a grain of salt. I mean, relish in the speculative excitement all you want. But Nintendo hasn't put any word to wait we might see tomorrow.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That Nintendo Direct detailing the 2014 line up can't come any sooner. I am so done with 2013.
This. It kind of irks me that absolutely nothing has been said about Yarn Yoshi or Fire Emblem X Shim Megami Tensei since LAST JANUARY and I'd prefer not to have to wait until June for something new when it comes to the Wii U.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's like they hardly try anymore. Has sorta felt that way for awhile at times.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Plus, I don't think we've had our Direct this month, which I'm expecting a character reveal for after the other Directs every two months have had reveals (Luigi and Sonic).

Malion

Smash Ace
if they show a new zelda... all i'm gonna say... they'd better make Link look different this time... SS Link was way too similar to TP link. it was just sad.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This. It kind of irks me that absolutely nothing has been said about Yarn Yoshi or Fire Emblem X Shim Megami Tensei since LAST JANUARY and I'd prefer not to have to wait until June for something new when it comes to the Wii U.
Or Yoshi's New Island iirc.

Nintendo's been super-passive lately, and one of the reasons I think VGX is important for them tomorrow is they need to not fail at Holiday 2013 sales or the talks of them being "irrelevant" will only increase.

Holding out potentially vain hope for Smash tomorrow, AND Zelda U. And then more stuff at a direct this or next month.

Come on Nintendo. You've gotta do something!

Malion

Smash Ace
Return of bottomless Link?
I don't know... maybe. a younger link but not too young maybe? differently styled hair for sure. and maybe with a different sort of belt set-up... just anything to distance from TP Link. SS Link changed a couple things like pants and lips but when Smash 4 came out and people couldn't decide which Link it was... (It's obvious now but whatevs) that's a pretty bad sign.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's like they hardly try anymore. Has sorta felt that way for awhile at times.
As in Nintendo? Nah, they've been in worse spots. With the Gamecube they pretty much gave up on the system in 2004, practically two years before the Wii came out. That fall had an amazing line up: Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Viewtiful Joe 2 and then they just sort of phoned things in. Early 2005 had DK Jungle Beat and Resident Evil 4 but that was pretty much it especially with Twilight Princess being delayed 4 times.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Probably going to have to wait until next year once the holidays are over. Once Nintendo figures out where they stand with the Wii U after the last two months will probably determine if we get another panic, pre-E3 style Direct like the one this January -- doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination.
I think it is almost expected that we get a 2014 preview line-up Direct, sometime in early-mid January.
We have been getting on average, at least 1 character a month.
Though nothing is set in stone, I think it's pretty likely we will receive at least 1 more character before the year comes to an end.
Good time would be to look into next week, the 9th through 13th. That's about when a character gets revealed.
I can buy into that. The 2nd week of the month is when we have received quite a few character reveals, if not the majority.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the Xbox One is doing the worst out of the three current major consoles.
Financially?

No...

That's still the Wii U.

But it is certainly starting to get a bad reputation.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I have nothing against PlayStation people. It's the Xbox fanboys that peeve me off. They have no idea what they're talking about. At least my console doesn't make me curse, or penalize me if I did. They think they're so high and mighty at my school.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I have nothing against PlayStation people. It's the Xbox fanboys that peeve me off. They have no idea what they're talking about. At least my console doesn't make me curse, or penalize me if I did. They think they're so high and mighty at my school.
Next time they act high and mighty, remind them that your console isn't known to catch fire. :laugh:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Next time they act high and mighty, remind them that your console isn't known to catch fire. :laugh:

THey mocked us when we had our Smash tournament, so naturally, we kicked their butts at Smash. We even let them be Meta Knight, and we still won. They tried to defend their butts, but they still lost. In a Meta Knight & Meta Knight v. Ganondorf & Sonic fight. The most fun was killing them with Jigglypuff.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Eh, I'm a staunch Nintendo fan personally, but I won't allude myself to be a fanboy. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo fanboys all suck.

Although, I can relate with certain feelings I have towards Xbox owners. Back in the town I grew up in, especially high school, Xbox 360 and PS3 dominated while Nintendo Wii remained niche or outright bashed. Every one of my friends at that time were busy talking about the next FPS or how much they love Skyrim. -_-

Welp, I suppose my ignorance is bliss here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So it turns out that VGX is being co-hosted by Joel McHale.

Not that that means anything to me.

Wait, an actor? Does he actually do ANYTHING related to gaming that would make him qualified for this, or is it going to be like Conan O'Brian when he tried to play WoW at Blizzcon?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
VGX is looking like a complete joke. I thought Spike was trying to reinvent them this year to make them more respectable?

Really VGX/the VGAs are symptomatic of the major problem with games journalism(the power dynamic between the press and the game companies). You wouldn't see anyone try to use the Oscars to announce one of their upcoming projects.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So paisanos, still convinced that VGX will have anything worth talking about?

Honestly? There's no way of knowing. My thoughts are still pretty up in the air, and all I can give is an "I hope so."

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
So paisanos, still convinced that VGX will have anything worth talking about?
Considering that reggie is gonna announce something, yes. That's the only reason why i'm even watching it.

I'm secretly hoping reggie goes on there just to troll the dudebro audience. :p

D

Deleted member

In an ideal world, the Xbox One would have received a Saturn-sized bomb for all of Microsoft's attempt to screw gamers over; the DRM, the micro-transaction, the lies they have spread and information they attempted to keep covered (trying to hide the fact that the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One). Unfortunately, when we live in a world where the Xbox One sells a million in under a day, it concerns me for the state of gaming and what plans Microsoft may have for gamers. It's sad.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At least for the time being they learned they can't just do what they want and get away with it.

However, I shudder to think what their next gen will involve if this Xbox One continues to be a success.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As in Nintendo? Nah, they've been in worse spots. With the Gamecube they pretty much gave up on the system in 2004, practically two years before the Wii came out. That fall had an amazing line up: Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Viewtiful Joe 2 and then they just sort of phoned things in. Early 2005 had DK Jungle Beat and Resident Evil 4 but that was pretty much it especially with Twilight Princess being delayed 4 times.
I didn't say that was exactly the case with Nintendo (about them not trying anymore), just that it's been feeling that way sometimes. Still a shame that they gave up on the Gamecube that quick, considering the awesome library it had. You forgot to mention Metroid Prime 2 was in 2004 as well though.

Anyway, makes me wonder how soon till they'll be giving up on the Wii U if they haven't begun to do so already. Maybe I'm just losing faith in the system too soon, but it's disappointing how even after how long the Wii U's been out there's still been nothing about it that screams "buy me!" barring a couple of recent titles. Then there's Sm4sh that I may just only get on the 3DS unless convinced otherwise.

At least for the time being they learned they can't just do what they want and get away with it.

However, I shudder to think what their next gen will involve if this Xbox One continues to be a success.
Me too, or worse, what they'll do with other Rare IPs in the future. I was excited at first when Killer Instinct was finally brought out of the gutter, but then to see how they executed the new game itself and the way they horribly marketed it, makes me wish I hadn't gotten hyped for it in the first place.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
In an ideal world, the Xbox One would have received a Saturn-sized bomb for all of Microsoft's attempt to screw gamers over; the DRM, the micro-transaction, the lies they have spread and information they attempted to keep covered (trying to hide the fact that the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One). Unfortunately, when we live in a world where the Xbox One sells a million in under a day, it concerns me for the state of gaming and what plans Microsoft may have for gamers. It's sad.
Those are my thoughts exactly. After the bull they pulled, how they showed they weren't thinking of their customers at all, people still went crazy over the system. Microsoft could probably kill one of their customers and people wouldn't care about it the next day. I honestly wouldn't put it above them to slowly re-install all of the things they got rid of.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Anyway, makes me wonder how soon till they'll be giving up on the Wii U if they haven't begun to do so already. Maybe I'm just losing faith in the system too soon, but it's disappointing how even after how long the Wii U's been out there's still been nothing about it that screams "buy me!" barring a couple of recent titles. Then there's Sm4sh that I may just only get on the 3DS unless convinced otherwise.

And here's a problem I see in general. The 3DS version being no different from the Wii U version save for stages and direction of content will just be an easier buy for people who don't want to buy the Wii U for one game.

It's a problem, because the 3DS has an extremely enticing library (Awakening, X&Y, Dream Team, LM:DM, etc.) and the Wii U has Pikmin 3 (Amazing game for sure) and SM3DW. They're great games, but they aren't system sellers.

If they want to sell Wii U's, having a 3DS option was a terrible idea.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Wait, an actor? Does he actually do ANYTHING related to gaming that would make him qualified for this, or is it going to be like Conan O'Brian when he tried to play WoW at Blizzcon?
Professionally? No. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a gamer though and honestly as long as he's at least familiar with the industry/fandom he should be fine as an MC even if he doesn't have professional credentials.
Or maybe he doesn't know a damn thing about games and it will be downright embarrassing to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom