• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
That is subjective. I think it is funny mostly because of the face he makes.
i mean yeah thats true it is subjective.... but it's most likely something everyone just follows along with...serious seller games like smash have so much potential and there's adding reggie is a little bit of a waste IN MY OPINION

Morbi

Scavenger
i mean yeah thats true it is subjective.... but it's most likely something everyone just follows along with...serious seller games like smash have so much potential and there's adding reggie is a little bit of a waste IN MY OPINION
Yes, we all have characters that we deem a "waste". I personally think decadent characters like PKMN Trainer and weird irrelevant retros like ROB/Game and Watch were bad additions. I know it is your opinion, I just thought that the unnecessary ad hominem fallacy was not credible.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Yes, we all have characters that we deem a "waste". I personally think decadent characters like PKMN Trainer and weird irrelevant retros like ROB/Game and Watch were bad additions. I know it is your opinion, I just thought that the unnecessary ad hominem fallacy was not credible.
HAHAHA jiggs, game and watch and rob... TAKE EM OUT!!!!!! i agree i dislike all those characters lmao

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just... what?
Decadent?
Irrelevant?

My God the taste of some people.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just... what?
Decadent?
Irrelevant?

My God the taste of some people.
He is decadent on the development of other characters as he is one of the most difficult, I have written out why multiple times. At this point it is implied, if you do not understand, I would be willing to type it up again. If you think ROB or Game and Watch are relevant... I cant say it without sounding mean. Anyhow, I was also under the impression that they were not even originally video game characters. I mean, I suppose Mr. Game and Watch closely resembles "Joker Thug C", but for all intents and purposes, isn't he an original character?There are other reasons, namely the notion that I do not enjoy playing as them at all. If that means "bad taste" so be it. I don't see you offering your opinion on the matter. I am sure that I will conceive a disdain for whatever your opinion is as well.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
He is decadent on the development of other characters as he is one of the most difficult, I have written out why multiple times. At this point it is implied, if you do not understand, I would be willing to type it up again. If you think ROB or Game and Watch are relevant... I cant say it without sounding mean. Anyhow, I was also under the impression that they were not even originally video game characters. I mean, I suppose Mr. Game and Watch closely resembles "Joker Thug C", but for all intents and purposes, isn't he an original character. There are other reasons, namely the notion that I do not enjoy playing as them at all. If that means "bad taste" so be it. I don't see you offering your opinion on the matter. I am sure that I will conceive a disdain for whatever your opinion is as well.
I'm sorry if I haven't read all of your 2878 posts, my bad. If you already explained it once, everyone should know about it. But hey no problem, don't waste your time explaining it again because I won't read. It's a waste of time.

Morbi

Scavenger
Morbid I've always wondered why do you always "like" everyone's posts?
There is a plethora of reasons, most are not entirely significant.
1. It gets me blocked from the mental decadence.
2. It helps people remember me.
3. It is somewhat of a social experiment.
4. It is something unique and individual to me.
5. It makes people feel good (sometimes).
6. It makes people angry (sometimes).
7. It is fun.
8. It is a way for me to "bookmark" what I have read.
9. It is a form of communication to let the poster know that I read their content.
10. Habit.

Edit: Ignore this, double post.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sorry if I haven't read all of your 2878 posts, my bad. If you already explained it once, everyone should know about it. But hey no problem, don't waste your time explaining it again because I won't read. It's a waste of time.
I will give you the short-hand version. If you don't want to read it, perhaps you could apply some logic and actually use some degree of cognitive function (It is apparent that I am not very faithful that you have the capacity to do such, hence the response despite your dismissal).

Every character has to be balanced against the roster (obviously). Pokemon Trainer is inherently difficult based on the notion that he is actually 3 characters.

Example- Mario against the roster (38). He has to be balanced against all 38 characters for a sufficient balance.

Pokemon Trainer is much more technical and time consuming.

Squirtle-Ivysaur
Squirtle-Charizard
Ivysaur-Charizard
Squirtle-Ivysaur-Charizard
Squirtle against the roster
Ivysaur against the roster
Charizard against the roster
Pokemon Trainer against the roster

Perhaps the visual aid makes the comparison more overt. There are 8 separate acts of balance as opposed to the one that we had with Mario. This is in addition to a fourth character model, voice work for 4, the Pokemon Trainer fatigue mechanic, and implementing Pokemon Trainer in every stage so that he can "follow" the action.

So to summarize, we could have Pokemon Trainer, or 4 characters. I would pick the 4 characters over the 3, that is rational. However, the point is moot. As Sakurai has already endured developing this repugnant character, he will be better at it. So it might only take the entire 3 characters of development. The thing is, we are missing Meowth, the main protagonist and spiritual rival of Pikachu. So my solution would be to cut Pokemon Trainer, add Charizard (which represents everything Pokemon Trainer does except for the "Trainer" aspect) and Meowth. We cut the saturated Pokemon roster and maintain a degree of variety in the roster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
All I see is: "Bwaah, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. should be dumped because MUH RELEVANCY." Why not ditch Ice Climbers while we're at it?

Have people forgotten that Smash isn't about recent Nintendo games only? They also like to pay homage to their old IPs that don't have recent releases. Mr. Game & Watch is especially fun to play as, thanks to his quirky moveset. Why ditch a unique and fun character for the sake of the so-called relevancy so many people here hold in high regard?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
All I see is: "Bwaah, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. should be dumped because MUH RELEVANCY." Why not ditch Ice Climbers while we're at it?

Have people forgotten that Smash isn't about recent Nintendo games only? They also like to pay homage to their old IPs that don't have recent releases. Mr. Game & Watch is especially fun to play as, thanks to his quirky moveset. Why ditch a unique and fun character for the sake of the so-called relevancy so many people here hold in high regard?
You probably don't have the intellect to realize that Mr. Game & Watch is a decadent character.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Or maybe it's because every post of yours I see is condescending and ruder then Hades. Or it could be something else entirely. Or it could be what you said. It's a mystery it is.

I just created this after I typed the "ruder then Hades" part and have decided to share it with all of you~

Morbi

Scavenger

We were talking about characters that we didn't personally want in the game. I am not advocating the removal of Game and Watch. He is just a character that I would remove if it was up to me. I just called him irrelevant, I did not insinuate that it has any bearing on his chances.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

The relevancy argument only applies to Pokemon and I guess Fire Emblem (?), in every other franchise the argument is null in void

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why ditch a unique and fun character for the sake of the so-called relevancy so many people here hold in high regard?

This is one of the main reasons I don't understand why some people are so quick to ditch Jigglypuff.

We could argue about how relevant Jiggs is to the Pokemon franchise ad nauseum, but one thing nobody could argue against is the fact that she offers an extremely unique playstyle that has been a staple of the Smash series since Smash 64... one that couldn't be easily replicated by any other Nintendo character (oddly enough Kirby comes the closest since they're both essentially pink balls with multiple jumps, but they play nothing alike).

The game just wouldn't be the same without the singing puffball.

Morbi

Scavenger
The relevancy argument only applies to Pokemon and I guess Fire Emblem (?), in every other franchise the argument is null in void
I would honestly argue that it applies to all franchises in varying degrees. Obviously it has VERY little to do with the inclusion of a retro; however, as you stated, it has a more overt effect on franchises like Pokemon. It is a prevalent notion that will always apply (disregarding whatever discontent users have), it will never be the "be all end all" premise. I would certainly proclaim that it does matter though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Holy **** some people want the retro characters cut? The few characters who where added for the whole purpose of them not being 'relevant' and thus appealing to a bigger base of gamers?

Am sorry, but those who said that: You are stupid as ****.

Actually, am not sorry, I quite meant that. :)
There is a plethora of reasons, most are not entirely significant.
1. It gets me blocked from the mental decadence.
2. It helps people remember me.
3. It is somewhat of a social experiment.
4. It is something unique and individual to me.
5. It makes people feel good (sometimes).
6. It makes people angry (sometimes).
7. It is fun.
8. It is a way for me to "bookmark" what I have read.
9. It is a form of communication to let the poster know that I read their content.
10. Habit.

Edit: Ignore this, double post.
This is why I like you dude. :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mr. Game & Watch isn't irrelevant. Not in the Smash Bros. series' context. He was literally the first character to be created by Nintendo. Even before Mario. Not to mention that Game & Watch game were pretty much the start of handheld gaming, which continues to be one of Nintendo's greatest strengths in the video game market.

Smash Bros. is a fighting game series celebrating Nintendo's history, which spans more than 30 years as a video game company. The series contains characters, stages, music, trophies and stickers featuring content that span throughout said 30 years. You have old, forgotten characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B., old but still well known classic characters such as Mario, Link and Donkey Kong, as well as characters from more recent IPs like Olimar and Wii Fit Trainer.

Considering all this, it's safe to say that Mr. Game & Watch isn't irrelevant.

Of course, there are third party characters, but the series' main focus hasn't swayed and Sakurai has shown his intents on keeping this premise, considering how he's limiting the third party choices.

Morbi

Scavenger
Holy **** some people want the retro characters cut? The few characters who where added for the whole purpose of them not being 'relevant' and thus appealing to a bigger base of gamers?

Am sorry, but those who said that: You are stupid as ****.

Actually, am not sorry, I quite meant that. :)
I did. Can you please elaborate on how my opinion (in regards to a video-game) correlates to my intelligence?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mr. Game & Watch isn't irrelevant. Not in the Smash Bros. series' context. He was literally the first character to be created by Nintendo. Even before Mario. Not to mention that Game & Watch game were pretty much the start of handheld gaming, which continues to be one of Nintendo's greatest strengths in the video game market.

Smash Bros. is a fighting game series celebrating Nintendo's history, which spans more than 30 years as a video game company. The series contains characters, stages, music, trophies and stickers featuring content that span throughout said 30 years. You have old, forgotten characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B., old but still well known classic characters such as Mario, Link and Donkey Kong, as well as characters from more recent IPs like Olimar and Wii Fit Trainer.

Considering all this, it's safe to say that Mr. Game & Watch isn't irrelevant.

Of course, there are third party characters, but the series' main focus hasn't swayed and Sakurai has shown his intents on keeping this premise, considering how he's limiting the third party choices.

Yet another excellent post... You're on a roll today.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I did. Can you please elaborate on how my opinion (in regards to a video-game) correlates to my intelligence?
Oh well. ****, why was it YOU that posted it then man..?

I mean, retro characters where obviously added because they needed a revival of sorts. All retro characters, aside from maybe Ice Climbers, actually have a good reason to be in Smash.

Mr G & W: Frost covered this quite well.
Pit: Created during the same time as Samus and Link and also one of the more requested retro characters (he was quite a popular suggestion pre-Brawl reveal trailer, on terms with Diddy and Wario even).
R.O.B.: Literally saved the game industry.

Ice Climbers where chosen cause Sakurai literally wanted a retro additon in Melee. Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion and some other dude where also considered, but Ice Climbers made it due to their unique 2 character in 1 mechanic.

What are your reasons though for wanting them gone?

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh well. ****, why was it YOU that posted it then man..?

I mean, retro characters where obviously added because they needed a revival of sorts. All retro characters, aside from maybe Ice Climbers, actually have a good reason to be in Smash.

Mr G & W: Frost covered this quite well.
Pit: Created during the same time as Samus and Link and also one of the more requested retro characters (he was quite a popular suggestion pre-Brawl reveal trailer, on terms with Diddy and Wario even).
R.O.B.: Literally saved the game industry.

Ice Climbers where chosen cause Sakurai literally wanted a retro additon in Melee. Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion and some other dude where also considered, but Ice Climbers made it due to their unique 2 character in 1 mechanic.

What are your reasons though for wanting them gone?
My main reason is because I don't like playing them. The discussion was in regards to personal opinion. I already know why they are in the game, and I wasn't insinuating that they should be removed. I just don't really enjoy them. Ice Climbers/Pit are fine in my opinion, I have more of a problem with Game and Watch and ROB to be honest. I wouldn't even mind some new retro characters in Smash 4. I just didn't particularly like G+W or ROB.

It is fine though, I am not taking it too seriously, it is just a little annoying that people don't read the conversation before they jump in and think I am the retro Satan of Smashboards. Haha.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
The talk about retro characters and relevancy makes me remember that stupid rumor pre-Brawl about G&W and the Ice Climbers being cut and "Koopa Kid" being added.

People were actually agreeing with it, saying that G&W and IC were too weird or outdated for Brawl, and that they already had their time. Barf. I did a silent "I told you so dance" when I saw the ICs on the Brawl Dojo around September.

And they weren't sure on whether "Koopa Kid" was Bowser Jr., Baby Bowser, or the literal Koopa Kid from Mario Party. I think some thought they were all the same being!

----

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I didn't add you earlier, I suppose I forgot to. So better late than never.
So you also add everyone other than (sorry then) liking every posts?
And yes I unignored you. It's impossible to ignore you anyway, you're ****ing everywhere.

And, btw, I wasn't correcting that other dude, I was just making a pun since he said I was mean. Boo-hoo.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The talk about retro characters and relevancy makes me remember that stupid rumor pre-Brawl about G&W and the Ice Climbers being cut and "Koopa Kid" being added.

People were actually agreeing with it, saying that G&W and IC were too weird or outdated for Brawl, and that they already had their time. Barf. I did a silent "I told you so dance" when I saw the ICs on the Brawl Dojo around September.

And they weren't sure on whether "Koopa Kid" was Bowser Jr., Baby Bowser, or the literal Koopa Kid from Mario Party. I think some thought they were all the same being!

----

When I see "Koopa Kid" I think of Koops. Dunno why.

Morbi

Scavenger
So you also add everyone other than (sorry then) liking every posts?
And yes I unignored you. It's impossible to ignore you anyway, you're ****ing everywhere.

And, btw, I wasn't correcting that other dude, I was just making a pun since he said I was mean. Boo-hoo.
Indeed. It is something else I do.

I didn't really think you blocked me in the first place to be honest. Not sure why one intending to block someone would tell said person they were blocking them. That seems counter intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom