• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

splat

Smash Lord
I don't care. I refuse to accept the original 12 are anything BUT safe. End of story. This is non-negotiable. Really don't give a crap what I come off as whatsoever. It is what it is. Can't accept anything else.
Jigglypuff was low priority in Brawl; hence why it didn't appear in the SSE. Jiggs may not be so lucky the next time around.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't care. I refuse to accept the original 12 are anything BUT safe. End of story. This is non-negotiable. Really don't give a crap what I come off as whatsoever. It is what it is. Can't accept anything else.
Would you calm down? You're taking this way too seriously. It's not like I'm attacking you or anything. It's just that this mindset is a bit too close-minded and more than likely doomed to be met with utter disappointment. I'm just saying you should be a bit more cautious and open-minded. It'd save you some grief in the long run. it's a bit of friendly advice, okay? :3

And Sakurai already mentioned that he didn't want to do DLC of any kind, especially costumes. Then again, he did give WFT a costume, so unless she's the Wario of this game when it comes to that, I suppose he could have changed his mind.

Or, you know, she's the Wario of the game and is made an exception for no reason whatsoever. -~-

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No. He said he wasn't thinking of doing DLC at this time. He never was specific about it. Or, to quote "Sakurai has stated that there are currently no plans to implement downloadable content or touch screen controls of any variety." Currently is a lot different from "will never happen". Also, we still haven't been shown Male Wii Fit Trainer's picture on the regular Wii Fit Trainer page, so we really don't know he is definitely a costume. Probably is, though.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/no-pla...rols-in-the-new-smash-bros.-tripping-is-remov This has poor context on the tripping thing, though. Namely, none.

-Is ignoring any instance of the Original 12 not being guaranteed, so cut your losses and do not reply about it-

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Is it more reminiscent of Dragon Ball then?
hmmm I'm tempted to say that, but it's more like the OVA that came back in 2008 with Tarble (Yo!! Son Goku and His Friends Return) than just straight up OG Dragon Ball, so make that of what you will

that being said, there are a few pretty big homages to DB though

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I remembered reading that Ness was supposed to replaced by Lucas.
That and the fact the Jigglypuff wasn't even considered a priority until the end game of Brawl's character selection makes me reconsider the notion that the original 12 are safe.

I am confident C. Falcon will show up, and with 2 games in development, I am sure Yoshi will show up....hopefully

As for Ness, I'm sure either Ness or Lucas will return, and as iconic Jiggly is to the main series, I'm really uncertain.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel the Jiggs would only be cut for time constraints. It's true that both Mewtwo and Lucario are both very likely to get in, though the Jiggs is important to Smash as well.

Capt. Falcon and Yoshi are shoo-ins.

and I'm near certain Ness is coming back, it doesn't make much sense to me to put Lucas in but cut Ness out.

IIRC Sakurai didn't say there WILL be cuts, nor did he say any have been made yet. I may just be too hopeful here, but I'm starting to think we may get no cuts at all. If there are cuts, I'm expecting two at most.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Would you calm down? You're taking this way too seriously. It's not like I'm attacking you or anything. It's just that this mindset is a bit too close-minded and more than likely doomed to be met with utter disappointment. I'm just saying you should be a bit more cautious and open-minded. It'd save you some grief in the long run. it's a bit of friendly advice, okay? :3

I disagree with this statement (the bit I've highlighted in red). It's hardly as though saying the original 12 will all make it makes you more than likely to be disappointed, as the chances they will all come back is surely way over 50%. In fact I'd calculate it as (roughly):

Yoshi 99% x Captain Falcon 99% x Ness 95% x Jigglypuff 90% = 83.8%.

And this is a conservative estimate. OK, it's not guaranteed that they will all return, but it's very, very likely.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ness back in Melee's development was supposed to be replaced by Lucas, yeah

but I mean, when he had the chance in Brawl to try and do so again, he not only kept Ness, he added Lucas with him too, pretty much showing me that 1.) he thinks differently than he did back then and 2.) you can have one while still keeping the other

this is why I never believed in all that relevancy nonsense that this forum used to be on at one point

so, anyway, yeah it's pretty safe to assume Ness ain't going noooowhere

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
So, I checked the smash site for updates, and all we've gotten is a damn picture if pikachu for 3DS.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Ness back in Melee's development was supposed to be replaced by Lucas, yeah

but I mean, when he had the chance in Brawl to try and do so again, he not only kept Ness, he added Lucas with him too, pretty much showing me that 1.) he thinks differently than he did back then and 2.) you can have one while still keeping the other

this is why I never believed in all that relevancy nonsense that this forum used to be on at one point

so, anyway, yeah it's pretty safe to assume Ness ain't going noooowhere

There's also the matter that Lucas is no longer "relevant" and Ness' game is held in far higher esteem by everyone than Lucas', which isn't even on a similar level of popularity let's be honest.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There's also the matter that Lucas is no longer "relevant" and Ness' game is held in far higher esteem by everyone than Lucas', which isn't even on a similar level of popularity let's be honest.

Actually Mother 3 is much more popular then you give it credit for. The only reason Mother 2 seems more popular is because it sold in NA as well as Japan. Mother 3 however sold just as well as Mother in Japan, both are around 400k while Mother 2 only got 300k sales in Japan and 140k in NA, that is only 40k more total then Mother and Mother 3, and neither of those were sold internationally. Not to mention the fans of Mother 3 are quite dedicated and IIRC they made/are making a sequel to it. So yea, I would say it is on a similar level of popularity, perhaps higher.

Do note that I am in no way arguing over/defending Ness' or Lucas' inclusion to Smash4. I just dun like it when people incorrectly post stuff with obviously no research put into it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Keep in mind, by relevant, we mean having current releases or appearances. Lucas hasn't had an appearance in many many years. But nor has Ness. Ness is still the original one in Smash, so he would usually take priority to represent the Universe of Mother between the two.(this is debatable, of course) It's similar to Marth's case, being the main rep of the Fire Emblem universe(less debatable, though).

Lucas is a little less important, not that he isn't ultimately deserving as well. Also, Mother 2 has a VC release.(I forget if that's soon or just happened) Mother 3's last release is a longer. Lucas is less relevant in comparison.

To note, I think both will return regardless. Since it's two total characters, no need to cut either.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Keep in mind, by relevant, we mean having current releases or appearances. Lucas hasn't had an appearance in many many years. But nor has Ness. Ness is still the original one in Smash, so he would usually take priority to represent the Universe of Mother between the two.(this is debatable, of course) It's similar to Marth's case, being the main rep of the Fire Emblem universe(less debatable, though).

Lucas is a little less important, not that he isn't ultimately deserving as well. Also, Mother 2 has a VC release.(I forget if that's soon or just happened) Mother 3's last release is a longer. Lucas is less relevant in comparison.

To note, I think both will return regardless. Since it's two total characters, no need to cut either.

I wasn't arguing at relevancy. I was arguing at popularity. There is a difference you know. It should be painfully obvious that Mother 2 has the most recent re-release of the Mother games and is thus more "relevant". But that doesn't mean it is on a level of popularity that is way beyond the other games in the series, as was said by the person I originally quoted.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wasn't arguing at relevancy. I was arguing at popularity. There is a difference you know. It should be painfully obvious that Mother 2 has the most recent re-release of the Mother games and is thus more "relevant". But that doesn't mean it is on a level of popularity that is way beyond the other games in the series, as was said by the person I originally quoted.
You're forgetting that Mother 3 hasn't been currently released like Earthbound/Mother 2 has/will be.(again, I forget).

I think that could play a role if he only can choose one. But remember, I doubt either would leave, but if one had to, it'd be Lucas easily. Ness has more staying power in the end.

And I don't know which is honestly more popular. I think Mother 2/Earthbound is better, since I am not a fan of that musical-based(twitch-action rpg's) gameplay. Basically, while I like something via Paper Mario's, where you do a bit of Action Commands, I don't like when it becomes the entire gist of the battle system where it's severely affects it, like in Sonic Chronicles. Paper Mario isn't the best example, I admit. You do need to be good at them to win in many cases. Super Mario RPG is perhaps slightly better. If you suck at Action Commands, you can still pretty easily win the game, since it's not super hard enough to punish you greatly if you fail.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Actually Mother 3 is much more popular then you give it credit for. The only reason Mother 2 seems more popular is because it sold in NA as well as Japan. Mother 3 however sold just as well as Mother in Japan, both are around 400k while Mother 2 only got 300k sales in Japan and 140k in NA, that is only 40k more total then Mother and Mother 3, and neither of those were sold internationally. Not to mention the fans of Mother 3 are quite dedicated and IIRC they made/are making a sequel to it. So yea, I would say it is on a similar level of popularity, perhaps higher.

Do note that I am in no way arguing over/defending Ness' or Lucas' inclusion to Smash4. I just dun like it when people incorrectly post stuff with obviously no research put into it.
Still disagree with you - it's not just about the sales. Earthbound is clearly seen as a classic game - people I know who don't really play Nintendo games know about Earthbound. I mean, when it was released on VC The Sun (the UK's biggest daily paper) did a feature on it in their games section. Mother 3 just doesn't have the same appeal.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You're forgetting that Mother 3 hasn't been currently released like Earthbound/Mother 2 has/will be.(again, I forget).

I think that could play a role if he only can choose one. But remember, I doubt either would leave, but if one had to, it'd be Lucas easily. Ness has more staying power in the end.

And I don't know which is honestly more popular. I think Mother 2/Earthbound is better, since I am not a fan of that musical-based(twitch-action rpg's) gameplay. Basically, while I like something via Paper Mario's, where you do a bit of Action Commands, I don't like when it becomes the entire gist of the battle system where it's severely affects it, like in Sonic Chronicles. Paper Mario isn't the best example, I admit. You do need to be good at them to win in many cases. Super Mario RPG is perhaps slightly better. If you suck at Action Commands, you can still pretty easily win the game, since it's not super hard enough to punish you greatly if you fail.

Do not forget that that Mother 2 was the only Mother to get released into NA and that is probably the biggest reason it, as that was the only way Mother 2 was able to sell more then Mother and Mother 3, otherwise it would have sold worse however even then it only sold 40k more.

Again, I am not arguing if the characters are leaving or staying or anything like that. I am arguing at the fact that the person I originally quoted stated that Mother 3 wasn't near the level of popularity that Mother 2 was. Which is completely false. I've never even played a Mother game and thus have no preference to one of them. However with just a little bit of research you can discern their popularity easily enough.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the one thing to remember is that while Mother 3 is awesome too, EarthBound has worldwide appeal that Mother 3 doesn't. Mother 3's only international release is via stuff in Brawl. It never got a release outside of that and emulation(of the illegal non-Nintendo-approved kind).

EarthBound/Mother 2 is just plain more known. Before Brawl, a ton of people, including many of Europe and America barely would know about it. I'm sure there are some, obviously. I'm not going to say any statistics. But an international release tends to be more known than a single region release. It's generally what you see.

Are you sure his popularity statement is false? Because I wouldn't be surprised if Mother 2/EarthBound is more popular due to more exposure and people all around the world able to play it more easily. I don't think either is provable as more popular at all. They both have reasonable points.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Still disagree with you - it's not just about the sales. Earthbound is clearly seen as a classic game - people I know who don't really play Nintendo games know about Earthbound. I mean, when it was released on VC The Sun (the UK's biggest daily paper) did a feature on it in their games section. Mother 3 just doesn't have the same appeal.

Mother 2 is the only Mother game to be released internationally. Why are you friggen ignoring that little fact. That's why it seems more popular because it is more known world wide. That is the sole reason it seems more popular you also ended up ignoring other thing I posted. Gratz on not reading properly.

I think the one thing to remember is that while Mother 3 is awesome too, EarthBound has worldwide appeal that Mother 3 doesn't. Mother 3's only international release is via stuff in Brawl. It never got a release outside of that and emulation(of the illegal non-Nintendo-approved kind).

EarthBound/Mother 2 is just plain more known. Before Brawl, a ton of people, including many of Europe and America barely would know about it. I'm sure there are some, obviously. I'm not going to say any statistics. But an international release tends to be more known than a single region release. It's generally what you see.

Are you sure his popularity statement is false? Because I wouldn't be surprised if Mother 2/EarthBound is more popular due to more exposure and people all around the world able to play it more easily. I don't think either is provable as more popular at all. They both have reasonable points.

That's exactly what I have been saying. Mother 2 was released internationally, thats the main point I'm trying to make as to why it seems more popular. However more known =/= more popular necessarily.

And yes I am sure it is false. All you have to do is research into it. Mother 3 is on a very similar popularity level of Mother 2 perhaps higher thought most likely equal.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
**** YOU ALL GUYS! EarthBound and Mother 3 are both awesome. :ness: Okay?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I presume you mean a lot of huge popularity polls, of course.

Not going to ask for sources, I just want to make sure you're not just making it up. I have no issue with taking your word here.

As long as you're not using Sales to indicate Popularity, because that's a bit irrelevant with used sales being taken into account.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I presume you mean a lot of huge popularity polls, of course.

Not going to ask for sources, I just want to make sure you're not just making it up. I have no issue with taking your word here.

As long as you're not using Sales to indicate Popularity, because that's a bit irrelevant with used sales being taken into account.

No not polls. Sales are a part of popularity any which way you look at it they might not be everything but they are still important and should not be ignored, but Mother 3 has stemmed many things that the fans are doing. I believe some cult like fans are making a Mother 4 fan game and IIRC it is going to be a sequel to Mother 3, I may be wrong on it being a direct sequel to Mother 3 as it has been a while since I read it but I know it is heavily influenced from it, and just how much the game is wanted officially to be released in the west are just 2 example of the game's popularity.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sales mean little. Games can have tons of sales, but easily be sold back if things don't go well. They're a bit useless. Especially when people sell them used via garage sales.

A good way to determine if it's a popular game is to look at tons of userscore(not metacritic) reviews to see how much people liked it.

Also, inb4Mother4fangamegetsshutdown.(sadly, it does happen)

But as I said, you don't have what I consider to mean popularity, so... yeah. Let's move on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He could also have been knocked on the floor, and just got up? Also, tripping moves.

It's like you guys don't even take what Sakurai said serious. He said: No tripping. I believe therefore there'll be no tripping. He also said not all characters from Brawl will make it. Therefore I believe there'll be cuts.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sales mean little. Games can have tons of sales, but easily be sold back if things don't go well. They're a bit useless. Especially when people sell them used via garage sales.

A good way to determine if it's a popular game is to look at tons of userscore(not metacritic) reviews to see how much people liked it.

Also, inb4Mother4fangamegetsshutdown.(sadly, it does happen)

But as I said, you don't have what I consider to mean popularity, so... yeah. Let's move on.

Reviews are another way to help determine it. But in this case it doesn't do so good because of the fact one is released internationally while the other isn't. Would you be fine with revies from people/organizations that reviewed both of them instead? Since the only reviews I can find are west reviews anyway and no Japanese ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reviews from all as much as you can find. People review the game even after played an emulated copy.

You should be able to find both if you look hard enough. But for the most part, I think they're on par and it's really not a big deal worth researching.

Overall, I think if we had one spot for the Mother series, Ness' veteran status is the most important overall. Lucas would be the second priority.(and well-deserving too)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Neither should get cut in the first place cause that'd just be plain stupid. Neither should Falco or Wolf be cut.

And why should they get cut? Toon Link is still here, why should they get cut? It's like... Dr.Mario got revealed for Brawl, and people are arguing that Roy and Pichu are goners.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Neither should get cut in the first place cause that'd just be plain stupid. Neither should Falco or Wolf be cut.

And why should they get cut? Toon Link is still here, why should they get cut? It's like... Dr.Mario got revealed for Brawl, and people are arguing that Roy and Mewtwo are goners.
Slight fix. Pichu never had a chance to come back. The others did. But seriously, nobody is saying they should get cut.

We know it might happen. We're looking at who would stay if it happened. Totally different thing.

Also, the tripping is entirely vague since they didn't ask about random tripping earlier. The interviewers just said "tripping". Sakurai also didn't specify what kind was definitely gone. I'm pretty sure it's Random Tripping, but it's just not as clear as it should be. That's what sucks about vague statements, they just aren't that useful.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can't you just make a ****ing inference for once and then see what happens?

D

Deleted member

And Sakurai already mentioned that he didn't want to do DLC of any kind, especially costumes. Then again, he did give WFT a costume, so unless she's the Wario of this game when it comes to that, I suppose he could have changed his mind.

Or, you know, she's the Wario of the game and is made an exception for no reason whatsoever. -~-
He never said this.

-In context of costumes, he said that there would be no customizable costumes. Didn't say anything about alternate costumes (like Wario, WFT) in general.

-In context of DLC, he said that he was not opposed to it, but has no plans for it yet. He also said that he works to have the game "complete" as much as possible from the start, which implies if there is DLC, it's going to be extra content added later or content he had to set aside that would not meet within development deadlines.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There goes my hopes of making a Miku costume for Donkey Kong.

I do hope though that this does not deny the possibility of custom pallets. I enjoy that kind of feature. Just no glowing or glossing colors like SFxTK did. That made the game unplayable at times.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Original 12 = Stay.
That's so much bull****, and you know that. Just because they have three appearances doesn't justify their appearance once again.

It's an opinion, not a fact. And I'm going to say that to everyone who thinks this. It's a pitiful, non-supported claim that makes me wish I was Dovahkin so I can shout you all away.

Heh. Dovahkin Aura the Enderman...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's so much bull****, and you know that. Just because they have three appearances doesn't justify their appearance once again.

Yet EVERYONE seems to think Sheik is safe cause of her appearance in Melee and Brawl.

Don't you all?

For ****'s sake, people be thinking Ness and Jigglypuff have more chance to be cut than Sheik now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom