• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
The only sad thing is that Bowser got the biggest makeover as far as the veterans go so far due to his new moves + him actually able to run, and yet Sakurai won't even give him a featured daily pic and talk about him. When's Bowser gonna get some real spotlight? Perhaps when it's getting closer to Super Mario 3D World's release, or a bit after it? So seriously, what gives on the lack of Bowser spotlight?
Bowser's moveset in Project M was damn near perfect, IMO.

He does have some changes, but I'm betting that we're gonna see some more drastic changes done to the unnanounced characters.

Speaking of, what about ROB? Y'all think Wall-E is gonna stay on the roster? The guy seemed like a pretty unpopular pick..

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
R.O.B. is important to the history of Nintendo and video games as a whole. He deserves the spot heavily and should not be canned at all.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
EDIT: Because why not?

1. I hate having to build game libraries. (DuckTales tomorrow)

2. Anyway, So how bout dem chibi capsules?

Malion

Smash Ace
they really should add scrooge to the game... that's a classic nes game maaan.

also, remember that website from back in the brawl days where you could make fake brawl character pages?
someone should do that for this gen's dojo.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
R.O.B. is important to the history of Nintendo and video games as a whole. He deserves the spot heavily and should not be canned at all.
Absolutely agree. I'll never understand the hate he gets, maybe it's because it's not technically a character, but Sakurai managed anyway to give him a strong personality (it's basically Nintendo's Wall-E) and making him one of the main villains of the story mode was pure genius.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Absolutely agree. I'll never understand the hate he gets, maybe it's because it's not technically a character, but Sakurai managed anyway to give him a strong personality (it's basically Nintendo's Wall-E) and making him one of the main villains of the story mode was pure genius.
Well, he was a character in Mario Kart DS before Brawl. If that didn't happen, it's possible he wouldn't have made it in.

I love that they gave him an unique character besides himself overall too. It's similar to the case with Giga Bowser. Making a Smash-only character to add-on to an additional one? Definitely genius.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I guess R.O.B. is hated so much because very few people knew much, if anything at all about him at the time, and that there are other characters people wanted really badly and were angry R.O.B. got in instead etc.

Malion

Smash Ace
rob is a weird one... and I mostly don't like him because he's a voiceless robot of sorts who comes from a gimmick.
It makes him kind of hard to relate to... which wouldn't be a huge deal save for the fact that I just don't like to play as him... for various unrelated reasons mostly related to size and bulkiness... so I don't see him much anyway.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You are not serious, right?!
HOW COULD I NOT BE?

I MEAN HE DID WHATEVER HE COULD TO SAVE HIS PEOPLE, HORRIBLE THINGS HE WAS SO ASHAMED OF HE HID BEHIND THE ANCIENT MINISTER GUISE, AND IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING IN THE END. HIS PEOPLE, HIS HOME. EVERYTHING WAS TAKEN FROM HIM. AND HIS STORY IS SET AGAINST DOZENS OF OTHER HAPPY ENDINGS FOR EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN BRAWL, AND YET IT JUST AMPLIFIES HOW MUCH HE HAS LOST.

And like, you're just kind of left with that? There's nothing in the end that makes up for it. You're left with R.O.B. staring at the empty space where his homeland used to be. The end.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You are not serious, right?!
He is. His entire race minus himself is dead. They all got turned against him. He theoretically had to help kill them too.(I forget if could face any regularly after being able to play as him. And if you did, you don't have to choose him either. Hence the theoretically part)

His entire story is super tragic. He gets nothing in the end but potential friends... who may not even care about him much at all. Oh, and one of them is Ganondorf, who he technically works with later. Prettttttyyyy tragic.

Morbi

Scavenger
HOW COULD I NOT BE?

I MEAN HE DID WHATEVER HE COULD TO SAVE HIS PEOPLE, HORRIBLE THINGS HE WAS SO ASHAMED OF HE HID BEHIND THE ANCIENT MINISTER GUISE, AND IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING IN THE END. HIS PEOPLE, HIS HOME. EVERYTHING WAS TAKEN FROM HIM. AND HIS STORY IS SET AGAINST DOZENS OF OTHER HAPPY ENDINGS FOR EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN BRAWL, AND YET IT JUST AMPLIFIES HOW MUCH HE HAS LOST.

And like, you're just kind of left with that? There's nothing in the end that makes up for it. You're left with R.O.B. staring at the empty space where his homeland used to be. The end.
What about characters like Jigglypuff who HAD NOTHING. SHE WASN'T EVEN IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO PUT IN THE STORY. IT IS JUST HER STARING AT THE EMPTINESS, SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A SAD ENDING LIKE ROB. THAT ALLUDES TO THE EMPTINESS IN HER HEART AND HOW LIFE IS OUT OF HER CONTROL, SHE HASN'T ATTAINED FREE WILL. PERPETUAL SLUMBER WHILE DOZENS OF OTHER HAPPY ENDINGS ACTUALIZE. SHE CAN DO NOTHING, SHE CAN BE NOTHING, SHE IS NOTHING. STUCK IN THE BLACK VOID OF ETERNITY, STARING AT THE DECADENCE FROM A FAR. NOT EVEN A PART OF THE REPUGNANCE. SHELTERED... BUT IS SHE REALLY? IS BEING A PART OF THE VOID REALLY LIVING? SHE WAS NEVER GIVEN A CHANCE. SLAUGHTERED AT BIRTH, BORN IN A COFFIN. THIS IS THE MELANCHOLY TALE THAT NEVER WAS. AT LEAST ROB COULD TRY AND FIGHT FOR SOMETHING HE BELIEVED IN. JIGGLYPUFF WAS LESS THAN NOTHING, SHE WAS NON-EXISTENT.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He is. His entire race minus himself is dead. They all got turned against him. He theoretically had to help kill them too.(I forget if could face any regularly after being able to play as him. And if you did, you don't have to choose him either. Hence the theoretically part)

His entire story is super tragic. He gets nothing in the end but potential friends... who may not even care about him much at all. Oh, and one of them is Ganondorf, who he technically works with later. Prettttttyyyy tragic.
Oh my goodness, killing his friends and having to face the one who turned them all against him in the end is something I hadn't even thought of. Why would you put these feelings on me before I'm about to go to work.

Malion

Smash Ace
It's hard for me to feel much empathy for what are essentially Robots... and on top of being a robot he's actually a figurine who is animated to be a robot. He's doubly false. Lol.

I mean what do any of the characters have to look forward to after they defeat tabuu? It's hard to say. What sort of world will they live in... will it be the same as before just maybe a little less dangerous?

If things go back to normal I assume ROB could rebuild the other robs... he has the technology! (*shot*)

All of this is conjecture though and ultimately I could argue that all of their endings are tragic... none of them have anyone to talk to because none of them talk... so so sad.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's hard for me to feel much empathy for what are essentially Robots... and on top of being a robot he's actually a figurine who is animated to be a robot. He's doubly false. Lol.

I mean what do any of the characters have to look forward to after they defeat tabuu? It's hard to say. What sort of world will they live in... will it be the same as before just maybe a little less dangerous?

If things go back to normal I assume ROB could rebuild the other robs... he has the technology! (*shot*)

All of this is conjecture though and ultimately I could argue that all of their endings are tragic... none of them have anyone to talk to because none of them talk... so so sad.
That is deep. So that is why Sakurai will not do another adventure mode... he doesn't want grown men to cry.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'll go into a bit of detail regarding R.O.B's role in the SSE.

R.O.B. had to save his own people by commiting terrible actions, setting off the Subspace bombs that consumed many locations and, if the Midair Stadium at the beginning of the story is anything to go by, trap or possibly even kill innocent lives. He did all this to try and save his own people, all the while sacrificing several of them to prevent his people from completely dying off. As the leader of his kind, his only choice was to go along with the Subspace Army's plans.

In the end everything R.O.B. did to try and save them went down the drain when he tried to resist Ganondorf's orders, only for him to take control of them and destroy all of the remaining ROBs and their home, consuming it all in Subspace. At that point he was most likely feeling extremely guilty for being responsible for trapping a great portion of the Smash world in Subspace, espescially given how he was unable to achieve the only goal that drove him to do it all in the first place.

You simply cannot say that isn't extremely tragic.

(would've gotten this posted eariler, had it not taken multiple attempts to post it)

Morbi

Scavenger
I'll go into a bit of detail regarding R.O.B's role in the SSE.

R.O.B. had to save his own people by commiting terrible actions, setting off the Subspace bombs that consumed many locations and, if the Midair Stadium at the beginning of the story is anything to go by, trap or possibly even kill innocent lives. He did all this to try and save his own people, all the while sacrificing several of them to prevent his people from completely dying off. As the leader of his kind, his only choice was to go along with the Subspace Army's plans.

In the end everything R.O.B. did to try and save them went down the drain when he tried to resist Ganondorf's orders, only for him to take control of them and destroy all of the remaining ROBs and their home, consuming it all in Subspace. At that point he was most likely feeling extremely guilty for being responsible for trapping a great portion of the Smash world in Subspace, espescially given how he was unable to achieve the only goal that drove him to do it all in the first place.

You simply cannot say that isn't extremely tragic.

(would've gotten this posted eariler, had it not taken multiple attempts to post it)
I still think that Jigglypuff's role was more tragic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Characters who aren't in the storyline at all cannot count as tragic.

Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff cannot legitimately be tragic because they have no existence in the storyline. They don't even have a backstory. They literally are only available through the SSE because they're still overall playable characters in the game and nothing more. Seriously, tragic backstories can't exist for someone without even a hint of a story.

Oh my goodness, killing his friends and having to face the one who turned them all against him in the end is something I hadn't even thought of. Why would you put these feelings on me before I'm about to go to work.
Because why not? :troll:

And I forgot he did that in the cutscenes too. >_< I was talking about gameplay, but yeah, he has to help kill his race. It's not like some other situations, where they are the only good person and feels the need to destroy the rest of the evil ones. It's arguably tragic IF they cared about them. On the other hand, they could probably re-create the race themselves.

Morbi

Scavenger
Characters who aren't in the storyline at all cannot count as tragic.

Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff cannot legitimately be tragic because they have no existence in the storyline. They don't even have a backstory. They literally are only available through the SSE because they're still overall playable characters in the game and nothing more. Seriously, tragic backstories can't exist for someone without even a hint of a story.

Because why not? :troll:

And I forgot he did that in the cutscenes too. >_< I was talking about gameplay, but yeah, he has to help kill his race. It's not like some other situations, where they are the only good person and feels the need to destroy the rest of the evil ones. It's arguably tragic IF they cared about them. On the other hand, they could probably re-create the race themselves.
That IS the tragedy.

When it comes down to it, the ROB story-line really doesn't pull at my heart strings... at all. I usually get sad at some of the stupidest things too. This one is just not cutting it for me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That IS the tragedy.

When it comes down to it, the ROB story-line really doesn't pull at my heart strings... at all. I usually get sad at some of the stupidest things too. This one is just not cutting it for me.
There is zero tragedy whatsoever for Jigglypuff. That's not storyline. That's an out-of-game tragedy.

R.O.B. is severely tragic. Yes, he clearly is alive(non-flesh-wise, but mind-wise) and has feelings. I can't think of anything anywhere near as tragic than his situation in Smash. There probably won't ever be one knowing our luck.

Malion

Smash Ace
I would have found ROB's story more tragic if he had the face of Robot Robin Williams.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Speaking of dark stories, did you guys experience the whole lonely man story in Pokémon X/Y?

You can find an escape rope just outside his house....

EDIT: I found it kinda funny because my friend left his Espurr with him.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
OH WELL.

It's not like all of this matters in the end, CONSIDERING EVERYONE IS JUST SOME SORT OF ACTION FIGURE, being manipulated by an external force.

Come back to me when you put in some effort and come up with a good story. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I didn't feel any sort of accomplishment beating story mode nor do I have any sympathy for characters that are essentially "dolls" when the whole entire thing is meaningless in the end. I mean, most video game crossovers are considered non-canon, so I don't really see the problem if the drop the action figure idea.

/rant

But I'm not really expecting Sakurai to drop the tradition, and I know a lot of people still like the idea, so maybe it's just me that feels like this...

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Porky/Pokey has the saddest story.

All he wanted was to ask Lucas if he could be in the game, but everyone just wanted him dead.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What about characters like Jigglypuff who HAD NOTHING. SHE WASN'T EVEN IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO PUT IN THE STORY. IT IS JUST HER STARING AT THE EMPTINESS, SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A SAD ENDING LIKE ROB. THAT ALLUDES TO THE EMPTINESS IN HER HEART AND HOW LIFE IS OUT OF HER CONTROL, SHE HASN'T ATTAINED FREE WILL. PERPETUAL SLUMBER WHILE DOZENS OF OTHER HAPPY ENDINGS ACTUALIZE. SHE CAN DO NOTHING, SHE CAN BE NOTHING, SHE IS NOTHING. STUCK IN THE BLACK VOID OF ETERNITY, STARING AT THE DECADENCE FROM A FAR. NOT EVEN A PART OF THE REPUGNANCE. SHELTERED... BUT IS SHE REALLY? IS BEING A PART OF THE VOID REALLY LIVING? SHE WAS NEVER GIVEN A CHANCE. SLAUGHTERED AT BIRTH, BORN IN A COFFIN. THIS IS THE MELANCHOLY TALE THAT NEVER WAS. AT LEAST ROB COULD TRY AND FIGHT FOR SOMETHING HE BELIEVED IN. JIGGLYPUFF WAS LESS THAN NOTHING, SHE WAS NON-EXISTENT.
...She was too busy having fun singing in the Pokemon Stadium to care. That wasn't tragic. Instead of suffering like everyone else, she got to fulfill her dream: singing in front of a live audience.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Porky/Pokey has the saddest story.

All he wanted was to ask Lucas if he could be in the game, but everyone just wanted him dead.
Dude, his name is Porky. Who doesn't want to eat some good cooked Pork? :troll:
...She was too busy having fun singing in the Pokemon Stadium to care. That wasn't tragic. Instead of suffering like everyone else, she got to fulfill her dream: singing in front of a live audience.
And then they fell asleep. :troll:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If we're talking tragic stories for R.O.B...

Think about it. His people enslaved, he is forced to obey commands of an evil force, and has to kill his people in order for them to survive, if you catch my drift. If he doesn't force his kind to activate the Subspace Bombs, Ganondorf would probably destroy all of the R.O.B. soldiers. And, he allies himself with other heroes. Yet, they have killed more R.O.B. soldiers than he has, trying to stop the evil. Imagine just standing there, watching as two of your best friends latch onto a bomb, waiting to be killed, and they look at you. Sudden guilt trip. And, his "new" friends all have goals and dreams; R.O.B. can't receive a happy ending, or even try to attempt one. Even Mr. Game & Watch's goal is to return to Superflat World and reunite with his people. R.O.B. has no friends, people, home, they're all destroyed. Where exactly does R.O.B. go after they all stare into the sunset? Nowhere. They all have no use for him that would benefit everyone, R.O.B. is doomed to solitude, the last of his kind, with no place to go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we're talking tragic stories for R.O.B...

Think about it. His people enslaved, he is forced to obey commands of an evil force, and has to kill his people in order for them to survive, if you catch my drift. If he doesn't force his kind to activate the Subspace Bombs, Ganondorf would probably destroy all of the R.O.B. soldiers. And, he allies himself with other heroes. Yet, they have killed more R.O.B. soldiers than he has, trying to stop the evil. Imagine just standing there, watching as two of your best friends latch onto a bomb, waiting to be killed, and they look at you. Sudden guilt trip. And, his "new" friends all have goals and dreams; R.O.B. can't receive a happy ending, or even try to attempt one. Even Mr. Game & Watch's goal is to return to Superflat World and reunite with his people. R.O.B. has no friends, people, home, they're all destroyed. Where exactly does R.O.B. go after they all stare into the sunset? Nowhere. They all have no use for him that would benefit everyone, R.O.B. is doomed to solitude, the last of his kind, with no place to go.
He's also the only robot. He couldn't get a decent girlfriend/boyfriend even if he wanted to. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom