• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I always really liked that "high risk, high reward" playstyle of Lucario's
Also why I loved Pichu over Pikachu in Melee. It does help that Pichu wasn't actually trash and that Pikachu got super heavily nerfed. Also, the challenge is fun.

To clarify, for Lucario, his moveset itself is hard to play, but his Aura ability is the one thing I find cool about him. Without it, he's just another physical fighter and unnoteworthy by that point. I'd hate if he lost it for a craptastic generic fighter. It's the only thing that makes him special overall.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also why I loved Pichu over Pikachu in Melee. It does help that Pichu wasn't actually trash and that Pikachu got super heavily nerfed. Also, the challenge is fun.

To clarify, for Lucario, his moveset itself is hard to play, but his Aura ability is the one thing I find cool about him. Without it, he's just another physical fighter and unnoteworthy by that point. I'd hate if he lost it for a craptastic generic fighter. It's the only thing that makes him special overall.
I don't really like the aura, but I can understand why some people would like it.

If anything, I'd be fine if attacks just did a bit more damage at low damage than they do now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The aura mechanic is really just a ****ty clutch mechanic. The aura ability could've gone to being like Tsubaki from BlazBlue where she can charge stocks for powered up attacks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The aura ability is the only thing that makes Lucario even worth playing as. Otherwise, he's just a generic attacker. It's his unique point and something that makes it honestly an awesome mechanic to me. I don't see any clutch-worthy about it. There's nothing that makes his attacks all that special either. A teleport/quick attack combo? Only thing notable is that it clings for a short while. Counter? Just a variation of the other one, but essentially the same move. Aura Sphere is not very original at all(except that it becomes more powerful because of his Aura ability, otherwise it's an almost carbon copy of Shadow Ball). None of his A moves are noteworthy. His Side B is about the only move that isn't just another carbon copy or near identical move.

Frankly, his Brawl moveset is uninspired, save the Aura Ability. I barely find him fun to play as, but at least the Aura is really cool to work with. Since it actually is an unique style to play with that doesn't make him anything but a good character. The fact is, he shouldn't get power-up abilities without some kind of downside, and this is pretty much a good take on Pichu's old style of damaging itself, except this time, more damage for you means you're even better. No buff is worthwhile for Lucario without the aura, really. I like it. I like that he feels unique to other players because of it. Now, I keep hearing that his Project M version is essentially Ryu? If that's the case, I am so glad I'm sticking with Vanilla Brawl, since Ryu is the most boring playstyle ever. Not to mention the most boring character that officially has a personality.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The aura mechanic is really just a ****ty clutch mechanic. The aura ability could've gone to being like Tsubaki from BlazBlue where she can charge stocks for powered up attacks.
Ah, a fellow BlazBlue guy. Here, you might appreciate this, then. :3

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't get the Ryu comparison as he plays more like a Guilty Gear character.

Yes, Lucario is boring, but that's just because they didn't try hard enough. Yes, buffing up attacks can work. The whole point is that you're consuming stocks of power points for it. Tsubaki leaves herself open as she charges, not unlike Samus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
SSB doesn't work in Power Points. It doesn't work in Meters. It does work in damage meaning something besides your HP Decreasing. So no, that wouldn't make sense at all within the game's design. We already had damaging oneself is part of the gimmick with Pichu. Lucario is just an extention of the idea, except making it an awesome use instead of pointless.

No, his moveset is boring, and they did give more than enough moves that make sense to him. And note how I said "I heard he was similar to Ryu in Project M". I never played BlazBlue, so I wouldn't know what he's like according to them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just because it's not part of the design now doesn'tean it can't later. We didn't have chargeable smashes and side specials in 64 so I don't know what you're whining about in terms of design.

You got any other ways they could do something with aura beyond what's been done or are you too lazy to think of one?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You got any other ways they could do something with aura beyond what's been done or are you too lazy to think of one?
How's that lucrative career in game design working out for you?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, 3D World's shaping up to be good, although I wish they would go ALL OUT on the power-ups (Propeller, Cloud, Rock, Ice, Hammer, Frog, Penguin and Cape all come to mind as power-ups that should return in some way) and I hope they include Lakitus, since they seem keen on the whole "using your enemy's artillery" theme with the Blue Shell-esque Koopa Troopa shells (would've preferred to be able to also ride on top like in 64 as well as throw and enter the shells) and the beheaded Goombas. And using Lakitu's Cloud would be great. Also, the Music Box from SMB3 should return, as well as the vegetables from SMB2. That'd make plenty of variety if you can also use them as a weapon to kill certain enemies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, because nothing different should be done. It's extremely balanced as a character concept and the only good way to show off Aura itself without cutscenes alone.

Glowing is not really a way to show off aura. Meters are entirely missing the point of Smash. That's for extremely competitive games, something that Sakurai specifically wanted to move away from. It's not really good for more casual fighters either. He didn't want the game to be like other competitive fighters. Him not using Meters makes perfect sense(they also are not really a good thing in games anyway. I've found them to be kind of stupid and pointless. They're just crutches for the entire roster. It's a poor excuse to balance

So no, there is no better way to do it. And we did have a side special programmed into 64. Master Hand specifically has a separate input attack for that. Similar to Samus' Forward B and Smash Forward B, the moves are different overall. This is the same thing with Link's Boomerang differences in 64 with B and Smash Forward B. So that's actually a false example of what you're talking about.

Chargeable Smashes are not much different from Chargeable B moves like Giant Punch, just with a slight difference. That you can't "save" your move for later. They're essentially the same thing in practice. Charging an attack and unleashing it with a powerful move.

So... I hope you got far better examples, since both of those were in from 64 overall.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Shiny Dwebble (with bad nature) get from Safari!

I always wanted a Shiny Ralts with those pretty colors, although I may like the regular one better than the shiny because it reminds me of someone...
Lady Palutena... <3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shiny Dwebble (with bad nature) get from Safari!

I always wanted a Shiny Ralts with those pretty colors, although I may like the regular one better than the shiny because it reminds me of someone...
Lady Palutena... <3
I shall catch a fish and call it LadyPaletuna. I think the number was changed to twelve now, right?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've lost my mind, I'm going to attempt to fill the entire Pokedex...

Obviously since there are Pokemon we can't get yet, I'll just be catching/breeding/trading all of the ones I can until we can import them. Then I'll just try to find them on the GTS for reasonable trades, legendaries might be a problem, however. Starting with Kanto, time to get three Caterpies! Would there even be enough PC space?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, I'm going to play Portal 2 and then take a shower. Anybody want to tell me something before I hit the sack?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well, I'm going to play Portal 2 and then take a shower. Anybody want to tell me something before I hit the sack?
One must sour the basil before the other chalks up the cutting board.

Never forget. ¦(

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
After a day spent with Wind Waker HD, managed to get to an island called Forest Haven. Really enjoying this game. Trying to discover new islands is an exciting feeling. One of the small touches I'm really enjoying is flying around as a seagull -- no idea why. Hate it when those big, stupid, poor men's Ho-Ohs starte chasing me in the air and kill my seagull. Jerks... Overall I'm really enjoying what I've played so far, and understand why so many people loved this game when it originally released. Glad Toon Link is staying in Super Smash Bros. Hopefully Sakurai will tweak his moveset.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess I should trust the Gyarados PBR model was made to the right scale, even if sometimes it's DUBIOUS where exactly the models are measured to. For example Torterra is measured to the top of its backtree, yet Charizard's horns are not counted in its height. Lucario is a good example too, since the top of its head is below the 1.2m mark, yet the tip of its ears are above.

The Gyarados model isn't stretched out fully, but there is some ROOM for it to stretch out to its given length, about 0.9m. It's difficult to stretch it out manually, sometimes it seems like that's not enough room, but other times it almost seems like TOO MUCH. SO YEAH, maybe I should trust they got it right.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I think I like the used condom on the pavement that I pass by every day walking to and from school slightly more than I do Smashboards.
Then we need to fill Smashboards with used condoms.

(Unrelated, but I'm a bit hesitant on using "we", since I'm not sure if people here see me as a part of the community yet)

-----

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Serperior is actually quite tiny. 330cm sounds like a lot, but 30 of those are just its little ear things, and you'd expect less than half of those 300 left to be its actual height when it "stands." Though Pokemon can be rather physics defying. Steelix in XY "stands" on the last three smallest segments of its body.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then we need to fill Smashboards with used condoms.

(Unrelated, but I'm a bit hesitant on using "we", since I'm not sure if people here see me as a part of the community yet)

-----
You're a rebel. Of course you wouldn't think you're truly part of the community. Common sense, man. :p

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
A mind is a terrible organ to shovel.

Two grapes is the equivalent of five cassoroles.

Don't let Oasis_S bathe your Pinsir.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Boy I would appreciate a game just like that. A fully voiced cast where link can actually talk but no one lets him get a word in edge wise.

Coerced into being a savior.
That would be neat. Story about living according to the expectations of others.

"I never said I wanted to be a hero."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom