• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, I almost NEVER go to GameFaqs, but in a true fit of boredom I decided to take a visit there, and got an interesting question for you all.

Which character do you think was the biggest waste of a roster spot in smash history?
Random block. I mean seriously, what does it contribute? It's taking up a spot that could have belonged to a more deserving and relevant character. Who was asking for random block? When was the last game you saw random block? Could have just made it an option in the menu, or a button down near the players' names.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, I almost NEVER go to GameFaqs, but in a true fit of boredom I decided to take a visit there, and got an interesting question for you all.

Which character do you think was the biggest waste of a roster spot in smash history?
This is a very tough one, to be honest...

Hmm...

Damnit, they're all good! Even the ones I'm not a fan of were still good picks. Pichu I like, although he does feel wasted. Ganondorf felt wasted too... I guess it's between those two. Probably Ganondorf since all he ever was was a clone.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Colours was what I wanted Unleashed to be in all honesty, a games with fun levels from start to finish that didn't make me groan and go through the rest of the level wanting me to play the good parts. The Wisps were a good concept (minus Light Speed Dash & Spin Dash) and made me actually want to explore levels and experiment with them, with a good amount of alternate routes to keep me replaying. However I can see where people are coming from with the 3D sections not being as platforming heavy as 2D, along with drifting not being that great to control and the bosses being piss easy.

But still I'm really liking Colours and I wanna get a Wii U to play Lost World.

Random block. I mean seriously, what does it contribute? It's taking up a spot that could have belonged to a more deserving and relevant character. Who was asking for random block? When was the last game you saw random block? Could have just made it an option in the menu, or a button down near the players' names.

:?: Random Block is the hypest **** man. :awesome:
But to answer your question Capps, I'd have to say Pichu.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The truth is, to say that any character was a waste of a roster spot insinuates their appearance kept someone else from being playable. I don't believe that to be true. Sakurai is always intentional on those he picks, and no amount of space changes that. Opportunities may change, technology may change, opinions may change; but it always begins and ends with Sakurai.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, never been able to get into the game. People have praised it as the premier Sonic experience, but I've never felt the same. Don't care for the wisp gimmick, don't care for the music, not a big fan of how the stages appear so linear, and I'm not a fan of the new Sonic voice. At least the environments are vivid and the mechanics are much more solid than that Sonic '06 abomination.
Sorry to hear that. Personally I enjoyed Colors aside from the double jumping mechanics and sometimes awkward platforming. I definitely agree though that it's not the premier Sonic experience (the Genesis Games are). It's a good game and was the game that started to show signs that the Dark-Age of Sonic was ending, but I do think people get too caught up in the latter..

The color powers are a mixed thing for me. Some do add to the speed based gameplay, while others slow things down and are more platform based. Sonic is a platforming game at heart (see Sonic 1) that uses a sense of speed to make it differ from the crowd. It was nice to see a larger focus on platforming in general with Colors, but at the same time speed is what makes Sonic so fun and memorable. All I know is that while color powers may be gimmicky, they did add a tad to the gameplay without losing sight of the core gameplay of Sonic IMO. Either way I think it's safe to say they're still the best gimmick, sadly, that Sega has tried over the years while bringing the Hedgehog into 3D (See Werehog).

I used to have to it up there as one of the better Sonic games but I'm kind of over the whole 3D models but you are giving me a 2D-like game. If nothing else, Sonic '06 at least had the open feel from the Adventure games that the newer games lack. With that being said, it looks like Lost World addresses that problem but still has those 2D sections. I guess it is something I'm going have to deal with same goes for the VA. Long as the VA does get as bad as ToS2 then I won't let it bother me too much. There are times where VA can ruin a game though.
Honestly I've never really liked the 3D sections in Sonic games that much, ignoring glitches, they always felt finicky and tough to control, the platforming never felt right to me. Having an open world is nice, but shouldn't be at the expense of gameplay and control IMO. The 3D sections are what have me on edge about Lost World.

Maybe it's because I'm too used to the classic 2D games and Modern Sonic, but I just can't get into the Dreamcast Era beyond Emerald Coast & Speed Highway/City Escape & Radical Highway/Seaside Hill.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Honestly I've never really liked the 3D sections in Sonic games that much, ignoring glitches, they always felt finicky and tough to control, the platforming never felt right to me. Having an open world is nice, but shouldn't be at the expense of gameplay and control IMO. The 3D sections are what have me on edge about Lost World.

Maybe it's because I'm too used to the classic 2D games and Modern Sonic, but I just can't get into the Dreamcast Era beyond Emerald Coast & Speed Highway/City Escape & Radical Highway/Seaside Hill.
I can understand. By no means do I think Modern Sonic style games are terrible, I'm probably going to favor Dreamcast forever. The controls, even though they weren't the best, were definitely enjoyable to me. More so than what Colors and Modern Sonic in Generations. Anyway, it'll probably always be that split between fanbase. I can accept it, it's probably something Sega will never do but it would be nice to see them to cater to side of the fanbase and then with another game cater to the other side.

EDIT: What? Has it been a while since Tri has posted outside of the BR or something?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
EDIT: What? Has it been a while since Tri has posted outside of the BR or something?
I didn't know it was back up. Never checked or asked.

Anyway, I got every single 64 character done in the Roster Maker of the full character list in the first SSB. Now to work on the "planned" members.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Holy crap, it's a Try-Hyphen! How's it been?
School and work have been keeping me a lot more busy than usual. Junior level classes surprisingly take a lot out of me.

I actually check SWF everyday, I just mainly post in the social groups and lurk on the main threads as I can't follow anything anymore nor do I have much of a desire for hardcore speculating/debating anymore (to all of you new people, consider yourselves lucky ;)).

I can understand. By no means do I think Modern Sonic style games are terrible, I'm probably going to favor Dreamcast forever. The controls, even though they weren't the best, were definitely enjoyable to me. More so than what Colors and Modern Sonic in Generations. Anyway, it'll probably always be that split between fanbase. I can accept it, it's probably something Sega will never do but it would be nice to see them to cater to side of the fanbase and then with another game cater to the other side.

Fair enough. I do see why people do enjoy the era and I respect that. And I do look forward to getting a recommendation about Lost World from everyone.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Ice Climbers. I ****ing hate that chain grabbing nonsense. And when it comes to comparison of other important Nintendo characters, the twins are at the near bottom. So adding them over the others- Toad, Ridley, etc.- was like kissing a girl while your girlfriend is next to you.

...That was a horrible example, but you get what I'm saying- show more love to what has love.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ice Climbers. I ****ing hate that chain grabbing nonsense. And when it comes to comparison of other important Nintendo characters, the twins are at the near bottom. So adding them over the others- Toad, Ridley, etc.- was like kissing a girl while your girlfriend is next to you.

...That was a horrible example, but you get what I'm saying- show more love to what has love.

I think their strengths and their role outdoes their flaws :their meant to be the retro reps, they can't really be compared to wasting a newcomer slot, otherwise Pit. G&W and R.O.B would be the same lol-
And the way they appeal to the demographic (who don't deal with chaingrabbing shenanigans) is pretty sweet. Even if I don't play as them very much, they feel really unique to use.

But don't worry, I don't dislike your opinion or anything, just bringing my points.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yea, outside of the competitive scene, I could walk up to any one of my friends and tell them to play Ice Climbers. I wouldn't worry about a single chaingrab from them.

They find it more effective to spam Ice Block

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
I'd like to say Pichu, but to be fair he was more of an extra, later addition than someone who was meticulously planned so the only thing excluding Pichu might've done was get us another clone. If we pretend however that Pichu's slot was just like any other slot and could be filled by anyone else, I'd love if they would've put a proper 2nd Gen rep or even Meowth (It's to my understanding that he was planned to be playable since SSB).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think their strengths and their role outdoes their flaws :their meant to be the retro reps, they can't really be compared to wasting a newcomer slot, otherwise Pit. G&W and R.O.B would be the same lol-
And the way they appeal to the demographic (who don't deal with chaingrabbing shenanigans) is pretty sweet. Even if I don't play as them very much, they feel really unique to use.

But don't worry, I don't dislike your opinion or anything, just bringing my points.
But they aren't like G&W and ROB. Both of them have a huge history behind Nintendo, which is why their inclusion isn't a waste, whereas Ice Climbers isn't as important.

When it comes to representing past series, no one tops ROB or G&W. Before, I would of said the same for Pit until Uprising came out.

I think they should represent a new series over Ice Climbers that isn't a retro character (it's not like we should have 3 retro reps anyways), like Dillon or Tempo

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I actually check SWF everyday, I just mainly post in the social groups and lurk on the main threads as I can't follow anything anymore nor do I have much of a desire for hardcore speculating/debating anymore (to all of you new people, consider yourselves lucky ;)).
Yo! Join the club. Only reason I'm posting right now is because I'm waiting to see if Mewtwo's revealed, after that I'm going back to lurking. Speculating isn't needed when all the characters I was wanting are in or back. Right now my number one Super Smash Bros wish is Skytown Elysia as a stage for Wii U. Like I've said elsewhere, if that place isn't a stage, a small part of me is going to die inside.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd like to say Pichu, but to be fair he was more of an extra, later addition than someone who was meticulously planned so the only thing excluding Pichu might've done was get us another clone. If we pretend however that Pichu's slot was just like any other slot and could be filled by anyone else, I'd love if they would've put a proper 2nd Gen rep or even Meowth (It's to my understanding that he was planned to be playable since SSB).
Meowth is solely a rumor. Mewtwo, Bowser, and King Dedede were the only ones officially planned. Nobody can seem to cite the supposed Pit being planned, though. Peach was also a rumor.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yo! Join the club. Only reason I'm posting right now is because I'm waiting to see if Mewtwo's revealed, after that I'm going back to lurking. Speculating isn't needed when all the characters I was wanting are in or back. Right now my number one Super Smash Bros wish is Skytown Elysia as a stage for Wii U. Like I've said elsewhere, if that place isn't a stage, a small part of me is going to die inside.
I'd be more sad if Phendrana Drifts wasn't made into a stage.

Also, today is my 23rd birthday.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, I've already had hibachi (had sukiyaki), cake, and money. Now to spend some money on some iTunes music.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Happy Birthday Kuma!

Okay, who do you think is being revealed this Saturday?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Okay, who do you think is being revealed this Saturday?
I'm betting on Mewtwo or the Jiggs.

And I'm not certain we'll see any reveals on a weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a trailer for Mewtwo on a weeked, rather than a pic. Trailers might be exceptions when it comes to reveals, they might turn up on weekends instead of just weekdays.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Happy 23rd Kuma! And well said on Phendrana Drifts. It to me was > most other Prime trilogy environments, SkyTown Elysia included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom