• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Blastoise could use some buffs.

Anyone thinks Charizard is forever doomed due to it's typing though? People seem to say so cause of Stealth Rock. Is Stealth Rock really used that much in competitive play? I haven't played competitive since Gen 4 though, and never that long, so I never got the appeal of it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Blastoise could use some buffs.

Anyone thinks Charizard is forever doomed due to it's typing though? People seem to say so cause of Stealth Rock. Is Stealth Rock really used that much in competitive play? I haven't played competitive since Gen 4 though, and never that long, so I never got the appeal of it.
Idk if a Megaform can save Charizard. Unless he has the Pokeabilty Levitate lol.
As far as BW/B2W2 goes, It's fairly common to have an intro hazard poke in competitive play.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I think I may be the only person ever who bases his team on in-game event pkmn (using Red's team as a template) this time around I'll be going with all 3 starters ofcourse and Sylveon, don't know who else till the game comes out though =\

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Stealth Rock is used very often in competitive play, because it helps speed up battles, discourages excessive switching, and is very vital for being able to secure certain KO's. Also it's more reliable then Spikes due to it being able to damage Flying types and Pokemon with Levitate, albeit with the catch being inconsistent damage. Spikes + Stealth Rock in particular can be deadly, and can wear down the opponent dangerously fast.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well then, what is the point?
Eelektross has weakness of Ground because of Mold Breaker. With Volt Switch, he could escape such a disaster, unless he was facing DW Excadrill.

Many people assume Eelektross has no weakness, which is incorrect. It is just protected by an Ability. Gastro Acid, Mold breaker, etc. grants that type's effectiveness once more.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
You missed the point because you automatically assumed we were speaking competitively. Good job.
But I WAS speaking competitively ;-;

And I do know he technically DOES have a weakness but he currently holds the crown for the damn nearest thing to no weaknesses.

Also mega charizard will be OU for one reason and one reason only: Drought. Yes, that's right. This is the thing that pushed NINETALES to OU :p

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Can't wait for Pokémon X, man!

Also, I just got StarTropics I & II for Wii and I'll play them soon. Got StarTropics 2 because it was a Club Nintendo prize and bought 1 to complete the set (that, and I had $5 collecting dust on my Wii account for a LONG time now). This might convince me to support Mike Jones.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't exactly support Mike Jones, mainly because Nintendo has this habit of ignoring anything that wasn't from GRORIOUSU NIPPON.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Sounds more like something out of Mario Party.

It's weird to have a theme for a Sonic game not have lyrics. You know, like His World, Endless Possibilities, Reach For The Stars, etc. from previous titles. Then again, Sonic Generations didn't really have a theme either, though I do like to think Sonic Youth is the unofficial theme.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Sounds more like something out of Mario Party.

It's weird to have a theme for a Sonic game not have lyrics. You know, like His World, Endless Possibilities, Reach For The Stars, etc. from previous titles. Then again, Sonic Generations didn't really have a theme either, though I do like to think Sonic Youth is the unofficial theme.
Love it!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Uhh

Eelektross learns U-Turn as well.

Either way if you're running Mold Breaker on Excadrill, you're doing it wrong.

And regardless, Eelektross (hilariously) learns Magnet Rise, and can hold an Air Balloon to bypass Mold Breaker.

Also bulk/Coil or CB abuse + Drain/Fire Punch/Flamethrower/Aqua Tail > switching out, anyway.
Lastly Ghost/Dark types were never free from weaknesses. Foresight + Fighting/Bug moves, Soak + Grass/Electric moves, etc.

I prefer my Steel/Fairy holding an Air Balloon during rain having no weaknesses whatsoever.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Either way if you're running Mold Breaker on Excadrill, you're doing it wrong.
Except in Ubers, Mold Breaker is actually preferred for a bulky Rapid Spin set because it allows Excadrill to take down Giratina, and to extent certain threats like Latios. While it might sound weird, Excadrill is arguably the best user of Rapid Spin in the tier because it's more specially defensive then Forretress and has far better offensive presence making the opponent think twice about setting up on it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That Sonic Lost World theme actually reminds me of Kirby's Epic Yarn a bit.

It sounds like Mario Galaxy to me most.

Also, Stealth Rocks is seriously an issue that's gonna keep Charizard down? Even with Mega Evolve? Are Rock-type attacks even common in Gen 5? Besides Stealth Rock of coarse. Thought Fighting moves where the most common? Aside from Dragon and Electric / Ice.

Maybe they could give Charizard a Rapid Spin-like attack though?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Stone Edge is a common attack, typical used by Rock types as the go-to STAB option, but Ground and Fighting types also use it for type coverage.

Also
Maybe they could give Charizard a Rapid Spin-like attack though?
POINT AT THIS COMMENT, POINT AT IT AND LAUGH!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wouldn't mind if Charizard and other fire/flying types (Ho-oh, Moltres, etc.) were to get some kind of counter move to Stealth Rock. The likelihood of it though is pretty questionable.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So i'm listening to a podcast for Two Best Friends Play and i learned about who they support for Smash. :laugh:

Sucks that only one of them understands Ridley.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't mind if Charizard and other fire/flying types (Ho-oh, Moltres, etc.) were to get some kind of counter move to Stealth Rock. The likelihood of it though is pretty questionable.
Yes, let's give them an Rapid Spin equivalent, when they take 4x damage from Stealth Rock. So they can jump in and already lose 50% of their health anyway, waste time getting rid of the rocks, and then faint from an attack.

Look, you're just better off using something that is not any of those Pokemon, use something like say Starmie or Forretress instead.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
While you guys were blathering on about competitive Pokemon, I got some burning hot noodles on my pointer finger while cooking dinner, and now I have an unsightly red mark on my skin.

WHAT ABOUT ME?!?! *whine*

So, uh, what if competitive Pokemon and competitive Smash combined? Reactions?

----

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
While you guys were blathering on about competitive Pokemon, I got some burning hot noodles on my pointer finger while cooking dinner, and now I have an unsightly red mark on my skin.

----
I have no ****ing clue how that would work XD

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy

----
"I choose you, Ike!" Ike would then proceed to make the universe explode.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's quite questionable yeah, but couldn't they also not just nerf Stealth Rock a little then? And Spikes in general?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I actually think a Smash RPG-like game would be awesome, but I'd rather make Smash 'crossover' with Fire Emblem on that regard.
Cool.
I actually imagined a few days ago what it would be like if the "good" characters from Smash (Marth, Mario, Pikachu, etc.) sieged that generic FE castle in Brawl and tried to defeat the "bad" Smash characters. (Ganondorf, Bowser, etc.)

It was like a normal Fire Emblem chapter, turn based and all. Marth and Roy spoke text bubbles in Japanese during the cutscenes, yet the other characters could understand them. If it was made into an actual movie, the SSB/FE crossover would be more on the humorous side.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Nintendo should make a Smash Pokemon and also buy every Fire Emblem game back from the consumers and incinerate them to begin the process of removing the franchise from human history.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cool.
I actually imagined a few days ago what it would be like if the "good" characters from Smash (Marth, Mario, Pikachu, etc.) sieged that generic FE castle in Brawl and tried to defeat the "bad" Smash characters. (Ganondorf, Bowser, etc.)

It was like a normal Fire Emblem chapter, turn based and all. Marth and Roy spoke text bubbles in Japanese during the cutscenes, yet the other characters could understand them. If it was made into an actual movie, the SSB/FE crossover would be more on the humorous side.

I spread a similar idea at Serenes Forest's forums:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42933

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom