• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm counting one-off but viable and notable characters. They had slightly similar situations.

And yes, I'm only referring to Smash, as I was in the context of my original post, Ghirahim being a viable option for SSBFor. Mind you, he's not my pick, but I can't really see how he's an overall bad choice. I think Tingle or Impa could bring more to the table as unique slots. Tingle for more crazy shenanigans. Having more than one of his own games and being notable among various games, and not just 2 max gives him some stuff to not just work with, but major notability. Impa, as noted, has 2 noteworthy games. Ghirahim gained some high popularity, if mostly due to excellent characterization, as well as could be easily a far more unique sword user than seen before.(and I can't believe people think him having a sword means Ganondorf couldn't. :facepalm:)

IMO, for varying reasons, I'd say the most probable would be Tingle > Impa > Ghirahim.
Tingle's placement: His own games, does have a lot more popularity than people think, although the least from America, very important and key to beating more than one game, and takes a role in most games story-wise. Or outright necessary to beat the game. Only game I can think of where he has zero importance is Four Swords Adventure.
Impa's placement: Let's be honest, SS did help make her somewhat notable. She has some popularity here and there.(seems to be a vocal minority, though) Fairly recent(which doesn't mean much, but I can see her being looked at at least). She's played some decent roles among the Zelda games, although only four does she have a story role, and only 3 of those most players will see by default. She's in both combined games for the Oracle series, but only appears in one without combining them. A lot of her stuff is in the manual, though. Zelda 1 and Zelda II has her nowhere to be found in the game itself.
Ghirahim's placement: While he definitely is pretty popular, a lot find him creepy. He was also really well-designed and has great characterization. One of the few new Zelda characters that I think really shined in his first appearance. However, being that he's not part of the true main cast or directly connected to more than a final boss(who is a one-off, although clearly important), says he's not as important as he could be. I think he's clearly a viable choice.

And all of them can be very damn unique, so that respectfully applies. Keep in mind I may be wrong about their popularity status, so it's from my observations it's like that. It's an opinion on that front(so don't ask me to cite it, please. But if you could cite their currently world popularity, that's cool)

As for their roles outside of Smash, I don't find that much relevant. Impa barely shows up in an important role(3/4 games out of 6.). Tingle stars in 3 games, and he doesn't do anything important to the game in any possible way in only one game released. By important, I mean being useful in story or gameplay. Ghirahim very well was very important in his only appearance thusfar.(I forget his life status, but dead characters often get revived, so...)
My apologies for the late reply. Had stuff to do.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Tingle got in over other choices. (I wouldn't want it happening, at least, not over Toon Zelda, but that's just personal preference) Personally I think Toon Zelda may have a better shot at getting in over either Impa or Ghirahim. (assuming Toon Link returns, that is) though, I guess that also depends on some things, they might not want another clone character, but assuming they finally revamp Ganondorf and/or Toon Link, she might have a chance. I'm not really certain what TZ could do, but if they created a moveset for Fox (and the other Starfox reps for that matter) based around some abilities originally used by Fox's vehicles, and given how Sakurai seems to be moving towards newer things I wouldn't be surprised if TZ was original. At least unlike Toon Link, theres not much she could share with Zelda moveset-wise that was used in the games she appeared in, (referring to Din's Fire, Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love) not to mention she could also transform into Tetra or a Phantom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, I'd like a Tetra/Phantom Zelda combo if we wanted something related to Toon Zelda. Namely because we don't have to worry about cloneage.

Funny thing is that the only unique moves Zelda has had... was probably during some of the CD-i games. All the Zeldas just borrowed from Link in some way. Well, Link used a bow first, so the Light Arrow(which Link also used first) isn't hers. She probably created them, but that doesn't say that much. It took her another appearance, in Toon form, no less, to finally use a copy. She borrowed from Link during the Cartoon. She did have some door-opening magic in OOT, though. But beyond that, she just... was not unique. Smash gave her a lot of moves never used before, like her Lightning Kick, so that was nice. Sheik severely helped out too, since she only shared one literal move with Link, and only by a technicality, being the Deku Nut for Vanish, although that came from Impa first anyway. But the rest, well...

Anyway, I don't mind her using some of Link's stuff, since it shows off more Zelda spells/items/etc. I'd like Child Link to use more of his unique stuff, though.

The other thing to note is there was no official word on Tetra being ever planned. We know there was a Toon Sheik at one time, since the file name is pretty specific on it, and there's really no question what it was. So I doubt Toon Zelda at that time, nor Toon Sheik, would've been unique. I have a feeling if they got finished, he may have gone with Tetra instead of the planned Toon Sheik, but considering he made a full clone with Giga Bowser, him making a Toon Sheik is entirely believable in every way.(he also made unique characters with Master Hand, Crazy, and other bosses in Brawl). Or to put it another way, he's fully made up characters and put them in Smash that never existed. Giga is playable in Brawl, so seeing another playable character he made up... I don't know how it's hard to believe. I really don't think Toon Zelda has much to go off of, where Tetra and Phantom Zelda do. A swashbuckler and strong swordsman, both different, would be an interesting combo. They also could have better Final Smashes. I'll be honest, only thing I can see Toon Zelda doing for a FS is Light Arrow. Where as Tetra could do many things; She could call in a multi-attack from her crew, have the Pirate Ship show up and fire a full attack with its Cannon Balls.(similar to Snake's FS, but not controlled) Phantom Zelda is a bit harder to say, but I have yet to play the game. Maybe turn the entire floor into damaging(but not easily KO'ing) lava? Where she walks around on it?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The one problem I see with a Tetra/Phantom combo is that they aren't really connected. Tetra isn't in Spirit Tracks, and the Phantoms get possessed by Zelda in her ghost form. Then again, that can be compared to how Twilight Princess' Zelda isn't really connected to Sheik.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The one problem I see with a Tetra/Phantom combo is that they aren't really connected. Tetra isn't in Spirit Tracks, and the Phantoms get possessed by Zelda in her ghost form. Then again, that can be compared to how Twilight Princess' Zelda isn't really connected to Sheik.
To be fair, Sheik was planned for TP. Also, I read that interview related to Sheik being in Brawl. That was Nintendo's call. Sakurai just asked for character designs, and they submitted them all. Now, Sakurai did want Sheik in Melee along with Zelda, as they're very much balanced upon each other. Needs work, though.

Also, Giga Bowser doesn't exist in Mario games, yet is connected to Bowser in Brawl(and Melee, if the Intro to the game is of any indication...), so I don't think that cross-generation combos is a problem. I get your point, though. I've learned to ignore canon as much as possible as long as it works well for gameplay. Ness lacks a lot of his own moves. >_> Etc.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
To be fair, Sheik was planned for TP. Also, I read that interview related to Sheik being in Brawl. That was Nintendo's call. Sakurai just asked for character designs, and they submitted them all. Now, Sakurai did want Sheik in Melee along with Zelda, as they're very much balanced upon each other. Needs work, though.

Also, Giga Bowser doesn't exist in Mario games, yet is connected to Bowser in Brawl(and Melee, if the Intro to the game is of any indication...), so I don't think that cross-generation combos is a problem. I get your point, though. I've learned to ignore canon as much as possible as long as it works well for gameplay. Ness lacks a lot of his own moves. >_> Etc.
I was aware of Sheik being planned for TP, but I didn't know that about Nintendo being responsible for Sheik's inclusion in Brawl. Thanks for the info.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was aware of Sheik being planned for TP, but I didn't know that about Nintendo being responsible for Sheik's inclusion in Brawl. Thanks for the info.
Yep. Sakurai oddly enough didn't ask for it.

Hopefully it shows that it's not just Sakurai who has interest in her, but Nintendo as well. Albeit, it just means her being removed isn't terribly likely, but that's all.

I do agree with you that Tingle is honestly an easy choice for Sakurai to include, assuming he could make a good moveset for him. Why? He has some serious staying power among the series, and outside of generic bosses(to clarify, I don't mean guys like Vaati, but ones like Gohma. I know they're not generic, but they're not actually super important. Just cool)/enemies, most appearances besides the main cast. (The main cast is Zelda, Link, Ganon. Ganondorf has less appearances than Tingle, but he's still the main villain regardless) I like a lot of other options, and while I think he'd be the most likely for many reasons stated, I think a playable Oracles Impa would be neat.(we haven't had a playable portly lady yet) As noted, Tetra/Phantom Zelda is really neat. Both Impa and Ghirahim would be really cool characters. I could see Midna & Wolf Link, as well as Zant, Skull Kid(with Majora's Mask), and Vaati being great playable characters. Did I miss any that aren't just one-off end bosses?(this is why I didn't list SS' final boss. Also not saying it for spoilers, because while I'm sure most know, his entire existence is a major story spoiler.)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yep. Sakurai oddly enough didn't ask for it.

Hopefully it shows that it's not just Sakurai who has interest in her, but Nintendo as well. Albeit, it just means her being removed isn't terribly likely, but that's all.

I do agree with you that Tingle is honestly an easy choice for Sakurai to include, assuming he could make a good moveset for him. Why? He has some serious staying power among the series, and outside of generic bosses(to clarify, I don't mean guys like Vaati, but ones like Gohma. I know they're not generic, but they're not actually super important. Just cool)/enemies, most appearances besides the main cast. (The main cast is Zelda, Link, Ganon. Ganondorf has less appearances than Tingle, but he's still the main villain regardless) I like a lot of other options, and while I think he'd be the most likely for many reasons stated, I think a playable Oracles Impa would be neat.(we haven't had a playable portly lady yet) As noted, Tetra/Phantom Zelda is really neat. Both Impa and Ghirahim would be really cool characters. I could see Midna & Wolf Link, as well as Zant, Skull Kid(with Majora's Mask), and Vaati being great playable characters. Did I miss any that aren't just one-off end bosses?(this is why I didn't list SS' final boss. Also not saying it for spoilers, because while I'm sure most know, his entire existence is a major story spoiler.)
Theres Byrne from Spirit Tracks, he's fought as a boss at some point but still has a good role in the story.

Tingle would definetely have a good moveset. (or at least, has potential for one)

Also, I'd personally LOVE the idea of a playable Wolf Link. He does have good potential and he is a popular character, but relevance does play a role as well. Though, given how we got Toon Link in Brawl I can see it happening, but at the same time I also doubt it happening.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Theres Byrne from Spirit Tracks, he's fought as a boss at some point but still has a good role in the story.

Tingle would definetely have a good moveset. (or at least, has potential for one)
I'm worried he'd go the way of the Toad, which is "I got no ideas for it" style. Albeit, Toad's reasons, at least, last time Sakurai spoke of him, was that he was too peaceful.(which is... not true. He fights, sometimes. Wario's Woods, for instance)

Also, I'd personally LOVE the idea of a playable Wolf Link. He does have good potential and he is a popular character, but relevance does play a role as well. Though, given how we got Toon Link in Brawl I can see it happening, but at the same time I also doubt it happening.
Depends if he considers the current Link, who still sports the TP design, too important to have his other self in. Or still "TP Link". To note, every character to date, who has a transformation or clone could cite more than one game the character was from before appearing, save Sheik and Ganondorf. They're the only ones to star in one game total at the time of Melee. To be fair, there was a playable tech demo that had Ganondorf in it, and if you consider that a "game", well... anyway, my point is that having TP Link and Wolf Link in the same game is odd since that type of thing is entirely never done before.

I hope I made exactly what I meant clear. But eh, Wolf Link would still be cool even if For's Link is essentially TP all over again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Late update to Sakurai's instagram.....I mean update website.

Wonder what coffee cup in the game he'll take a picture of next.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well Luigi I guess could use some extra jump height, although hopefully he also gets a bit more jump width.
Don't give Miyamoto ideas.
I got a great idea for Miyamoto:
Focus on one project, make games instead of concepts, and if you aren't that good at it anymore, just retire and enjoy the rest of your life.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I find it funny that several people are taking shots about the daily picks being more like instagrams than updates when Sakurai said from the beginning and then later made an additional post to clarify that they aren't supposed to be updates at all but are essentially supposed to be instagrams that would incidentally happen to have new information on occasion. It's like one of those alkward moments when someone who is not entirely in the loop tries to tease two of their friends by saying they look like a cut couple, only to find out that they actually like each other and in fact just started dating.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I wonder if Luigi will hover because of his new jump?

Well Luigi I guess could use some extra jump height, although hopefully he also gets a bit more jump width.

I got a great idea for Miyamoto:
Focus on one project, make games instead of concepts, and if you aren't that good at it anymore, just retire and enjoy the rest of your life.
he meddled with Sticker Star, and tried to meddle with Dream team, but AlphaDream told him to **** off. I honestly feel he's more of a weight to the creative teams at this point.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The new animation for Luigi's jump is quite cool actually.

He's breaking off from Mario more and more and becoming his own character.

I like it!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
he meddled with Sticker Star, and tried to meddle with Dream team, but AlphaDream told him to **** off. I honestly feel he's more of a weight to the creative teams at this point.
Honestly, I think Miyamoto's mind is fading. Let him retire or do just one job at a time.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I find it funny that several people are taking shots about the daily picks being more like instagrams than updates when Sakurai said from the beginning and then later made an additional post to clarify that they aren't supposed to be updates at all but are essentially supposed to be instagrams that would incidentally happen to have new information on occasion. It's like one of those alkward moments when someone who is not entirely in the loop tries to tease two of their friends by saying they look like a cut couple, only to find out that they actually like each other and in fact just started dating.

People just don't like to listen.
But yeah the new pic is actually interesting, maybe Luigi can keep himself afloat whilst in that animation.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope his running animation resembles the Luigi's Mansion's one.
Anyway, maybe his moves have been re-designed too at this point.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I guess the running animation will resemble something from NSMB/DreamTeam/3D Marios as well. Sweet~

Luigi truly will shine as the best example of how a semi-clone should be made.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Luigi might become more dangerous in the air thanks to this.

I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom