• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd take 0.5% of that, and could live happily for the rest of my days easily. No jokes involved.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's hard to imagine a gaming environment without Capcom, but if they gotta die out due to shotty business decisions then let them.
I just hope the employees find work if it happens.

P.S Today is my birthday! :bee:
Happy birthday Moon Monkey! :grin:. Enjoy it ;)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
First of all, happy birthday Moon Monkey. Hope it's a good day.

Second, the daily pic shows once again the Pyrosphere. Nice to see that Samus's Charge Shot got buffed. We get to see Fox's Reflector in the new game and it seems it is the same thing as before, even the graphic effect. I must say that the graphic effects look good as ever, even if they are similar to previous games.

Third, Capcom's financial problems may have to do with their more controversial decisions in the last few years... I'm almost sure that the infamous Mega Man Legends 3 fiasco cost them money and what profit did they make? Zero, when it was a hyped game for what so far is the best selling system of the current generation (the 3DS, obviously).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Empty Roster.png

here's my realistic roster, more or less I guess, hahaha

uncertain about Ridley but Sakurai is teasing him too much for me to ignore him for now at least

and as for Snake, much as I want to see him come back, I really can't see 4 third parties all in one game

oh well

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
View attachment 2614

uncertain about Ridley but Sakurai is teasing him too much for me to ignore him for now at least

and as for Snake, much as I want to see him come back, I really can't see 4 third parties all in one game

oh well
I like it, and think it's pretty reasonable.... although I really feel like FE Awakening will get a rep (maybe at the expense of Roy, maybe not.... pretty confident about Ike) I also think Dixie over K. Rool, but I don't care about either personally.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
View attachment 2614

oh well
While I highly doubt the inclusion of Ridley and Toon Link at this moment and time, I think this is a pretty goo roster.
I don't think I have any real issues with any character. Maybe Miis and possibly a Diddy/Dixie Duo, but those are just nit picks.
9/10

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Define "Faster"? It could mean : Decreased charge time by .5 seconds or less. I don't know. Maybe the change is as subtle as your typical capcom fighting game patches or those mmo patch changes. Lol
Half a second is 30 frames. That's a LOT in fighting game time. They sound like subtle changes, but a long time player will pick up on the changes almost immediately. However, anyone that played Brawl extensively will find that to be a gigantic change for Samus - even the casuals.

I think that's his downfall.

I see Megaman as a very match up reliant character.

I see him dominating characters with no projectiles like Bowser or DK. Characters with reflectors seem to screw him over though. He'll certainly have a hard time facing Fox and Pit (and presumably Wolf and/or Falco)

We'll have to see though.
Well, there have been projectile heavy characters in other games and few, if any, have projectile reflectors. In fact, with SF4's Rose, I've never heard anything big about her unique ability to reflect projectiles being a big matchup thing.

If anything, Bowser and DK will have a harder time with Megaman simply because of their size and somewhat lack of speed. However, proper maneuvering and exploitation of techniques can get them in to crush Megaman. You also gotta have the right strategy. Like with them, they cannot afford to let Megaman breathe (in theory) so they should get him into positions where he can't rely on projectiles so much.

And as I've said before, here's my prediction for the playstyles for the revealed newcomers. Megaman is most definitely a versatile zoner. Miss Fit looks to be very poking and fundamentals oriented - she'll be a really good beginner's pick simply because it looks like her playstyle promotes solid fundamental play, sort of like Chun-Li. The Villager will be a nightmare with edgeguarding. He'll likely have a large emphasis on high knockback moves with few kill moves and a limited recovery (as we've seen so far).

@Moon Monkey
Happy birthday!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remember, those saw blades of Mega Man can be caught and thrown back. And it seems much easier to do than with Diddy's bananas. Projectile spam might not be his speciality at all.

D

Deleted member

@Spazzy_D: Source on assets?
Third, Capcom's financial problems may have to do with their more controversial decisions in the last few years... I'm almost sure that the infamous Mega Man Legends 3 fiasco cost them money and what profit did they make? Zero, when it was a hyped game for what so far is the best selling system of the current generation (the 3DS, obviously).
To be fair, Capcom did have good reasons to cancel Mega Man Legends 3 (and no, Capcom did not blame the fans, that was one person from Capcom Europe which isn't as important of a branch as COJ and COA). The problem was announcing the game when it wasn't even greenlighted in the first place, which is why it was so bad on Capcom's PR.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now that's where things start to get interesting. What if you want them to get the metal blade? By doing that, you've essentially robbed them of their A attacks, but they get a single projectile in return. From there, you can get in better because they just have that and you can predict where they're gonna throw it.

But yes, I don't think we'll have to worry about camping issues. Now, what do you do about Falco and his notorious lasers? Do you make it no longer spamable like in Brawl? In return he gets more hitstun and aerial knockback on a single laser.

It's different in Smash. Reflector-esque characters destroy most item play. Unless you are Snake or Diddy.
Good point, but how has that factored on 1v1 matchups like Fox vs. Peach?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Peach often has to be careful when she throws her turpins at Fox in Melee. She often only uses them when Fox is still in hitstun, or is recovering. Or so I've noticed. And in all actuality... I think the thrown-back metal blades are gonna be stronger than when Mega Man throws them. Why? A thrown Ray Gun does more damage then the lasers from it in Smash. That's why.

D

Deleted member

Now that's where things start to get interesting. What if you want them to get the metal blade? By doing that, you've essentially robbed them of their A attacks, but they get a single projectile in return. From there, you can get in better because they just have that and you can predict where they're gonna throw it.

But yes, I don't think we'll have to worry about camping issues. Now, what do you do about Falco and his notorious lasers? Do you make it no longer spamable like in Brawl? In return he gets more hitstun and aerial knockback on a single laser.

Good point, but how has that factored on 1v1 matchups like Fox vs. Peach?
I believe that the Villager would be an exception to the rule. He could simply pick up the item (a la Samus's charge shot in his confirmation trailer) and fight like normal until he is ready to unleash the item, so that strategy wouldn't work towards the Villager.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Peach's turnips are a really weak projectile in the scheme of things unless it is a stitch face. However, Fox works really well with an item in hands. Jump Cancel item tossing allows him to pressure most characters that would normally give his reflector troubles (Snake, Diddy, Peach to a way lesser extent) if he Z-catches them. Also, if I'm holding an item, I'm only worried about my options being limited if I'm caught shielding. Otherwise, I'm glad to hold that item and cause havoc; especially, if I'm in the air. Fox controls a very nice vertical zone with his Dair and Uair. I can force your shield by Z-dropping an item and then dairing behind you for a cross-up and use your shield lag frames to grab you and I can similar situations if I'm grounded with an item in hand.

Against Fox, her turnips don't do much for her. They don't force an approach, however she can force a shield with glide tossing but that in itself limits her. I mean, it's realllllllyyyy bad when Peach is the only character where it is recommended to Standing Laser spam her because her gap closing options suck and she does move fast by running or floating. Even with a turnip in her it's obvious when she is going to throw it when a certain distance is made.

It would be easier to show you if we were sitting at a set-up.

It's been years since I've given a Match-up synopsis for Fox.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@Spazzy_D: Source on assets?To be fair, Capcom did have good reasons to cancel Mega Man Legends 3 (and no, Capcom did not blame the fans, that was one person from Capcom Europe which isn't as important of a branch as COJ and COA). The problem was announcing the game when it wasn't even greenlighted in the first place, which is why it was so bad on Capcom's PR.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html Same source as the 152 million in the bank. I was wrong, by the way, they only have 980 million in assests at the moment, but still, it's not the grim picture painted by the cherry picked data that's been making the rounds. Capcom has had a rough start to the year (stock is up today, though https://www.google.com/finance?cid=675726) but they aren't anywhere close to closing up shop anytime soon.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

I just chose a random video from all the matches I had with old training partner before he graduated college and I stopped playing Smash competitively. Idk if I won or not yet, I haven't finished watching it myself, but elements of what I was talking about is in this. There are plenty you can check from on my channel. Not sure if the Match-up has changed in 2 years. I doubt it though.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
While I highly doubt the inclusion of Ridley and Toon Link at this moment and time, I think this is a pretty goo roster.
I don't think I have any real issues with any character. Maybe Miis and possibly a Diddy/Dixie Duo, but those are just nit picks.
9/10
yeah I feel you on the Toon Link part, with that screenshot of him and all

what's keeping me from cutting him though is the fact that he felt that it was important to have a child and an adult Link represented in Smash

obviously, people's sentiments can change over time, as Sakurai himself has proven, and he only said that for Young Link in Melee (whom he removed)

but he also put in Toon Link when he could have easily just cut a child Link altogether, so that kinda solidifies his Melee statement for me

he could always go back to Young Link though

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I believe that the Villager would be an exception to the rule. He could simply pick up the item (a la Samus's charge shot in his confirmation trailer) and fight like normal until he is ready to unleash the item, so that strategy wouldn't work towards the Villager.
The Villager then would be more like Game and Watch in that regard. You're still reflecting a projectile essentially.

And after seeing so much Melee recently, I forgot how boring it was to watch Brawl.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Sorry, I was 12 when I joined the competitive scene V.V and brawl was coming out. I thought was too young to join an older gaming scene.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sorry, I was 12 when I joined the competitive scene V.V and brawl was coming out. I thought was too young to join an older gaming scene.
It's nothing towards you. I just remembered how freaking boring Brawl is to watch.

I wonder what it'd be like if Peach's turnips had more gravity on them. You know I've been very interested in Smash exploring vertical zoning more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When I watch SSB games, well, only 64 isn't boring for me to watch(human players going at it). Melee's style is only fun for me to play. I find all 3 fun to play, though.

For computers, it's easily 64 > Brawl > Melee. The only thing Melee has is a bit better music to me, but all the Computers are boring as everliving hell.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's nothing towards you. I just remembered how freaking boring Brawl is to watch.

I wonder what it'd be like if Peach's turnips had more gravity on them. You know I've been very interested in Smash exploring vertical zoning more.
I know, I just wish I joined Melee back then as well as Brawl. Now I feel like the entry skill-cap for Melee is going to kill me.

Do you mean dropping faster?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's your opinion and I can't change it, but:
[collapse="Awesome Brawl videos that prove that it's interesting to watch"]
And the list goes on and on[/collapse]
I have to admit that Melee is much more entertaining than Brawl, but I personally can't say that Brawl is boring judging from the potential of those videos (Especially the Grand Finals of Apex 2013).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
yeah I feel you on the Toon Link part, with that screenshot of him and all

what's keeping me from cutting him though is the fact that he felt that it was important to have a child and an adult Link represented in Smash

obviously, people's sentiments can change over time, as Sakurai himself has proven, and he only said that for Young Link in Melee (whom he removed)

but he also put in Toon Link when he could have easily just cut a child Link altogether, so that kinda solidifies his Melee statement for me

he could always go back to Young Link though
I would prefer Toon Link over Young Link, but we'll see how this all plays out.

Also I agree that Sonic has better chances than Snake. Someone has even pointed out to me that Peaches Ribbon move

Is from Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I know, I just wish I joined Melee back then as well as Brawl. Now I feel like the entry skill-cap for Melee is going to kill me.

Do you mean dropping faster?
Yes, I do mean dropping faster.

@Denma
It was the Salem vs. M2K match that made me realize the potential of vertical zoning in Smash so it's only interesting in that regard. Otherwise, it's a slow and floaty mess to me.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Yes, I do mean dropping faster.

@Denma
It was the Salem vs. M2K match that made me realize the potential of vertical zoning in Smash so it's only interesting in that regard. Otherwise, it's a slow and floaty mess to me.
Demna*
Again, it's your opinion and I respect it. I personally think Brawl is really interesting to watch, but that's only my opinion and I can't enforce it on anyone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I will enforce my opinion that Virtua Fighter is more fun to watch that Brawl.
Starts at around 2:00.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Happy B-Day Moon!

@Denma
Leon vs. Glutonny are also another example of really fun matches. In fact, European Brawl as a whole I find fun to watch.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I shall call him Ash Ketchup!

@Moon Monkey:

Is this you? :p (A.K.A. Happy Birthday)
Ah, Ook looks like he's "mooning".

Happy birthday Moon Monkey.
I'd like to give you a pic of DK's fur, but I can't find any on Google that might be good enough...

Looks like we've reached an Impasse
Oh, good lord, I've wanted to make that pun for the longest time, and I missed my chance. ;_;

-----

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah, Ook looks like he's "mooning".-----
Egg-zactly.

Being a pain in the butt aside, I also remember watching somebody make a Power Rangers hack for Brawl. I think they just added costumes to multiple different characters, though. Honestly, Fox/Falco/Wolf seem to fix a good majority of them as is. Many have Lasers and lots of Punches/Kicks. Some do use a sword pretty often, though, so it may depend on the idea of the hack. For instance, it could change some moves to the Ray Gun for B, while keeping an appropriate weapon for others.

I remember seeing a Shadow hack where he could pull out different Gun-like weapons. Ray Gun, Cracker Launcher, Super Scope, and I think he had one more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom