• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How has your thoughts on video games changed from one year ago (or later)?

tl;dr: My thoughts on video games have become much more positive as I realize that video games have their ups and downs and that video games are probably the only entertainment medium I seriously follow. You can thank Mighty No. 9 for that. I'm going to be working on building my collection for the PS3, Wii as well as support the PS4 and 3DS (I don't plan on getting a Wii U until near the end of the lifecycle, especially since Smash is coming out for the 3DS anyway). In the distant future, I may also get into PC gaming.

Also, what should I be aware of when it comes to good DLCs (Fallout 3) and bad DLCs (Street Fighter X Tekken)? I don't want to buy games in which DLCs are meant to get more money out of the pockets of consumers rather than DLCs benefitting the game.
---
I remember saying many times that after Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS that I would forever swore off modern video games and going retro. There is a lot of things about the video game industry I don't like about it (such as use of on-disc DLC, Microsoft's treatment towards gamers lately, fan bases that can get unbearable to deal with, etc) and the more I realized the issues with today's gaming, the more I felt like jumping off ship. I saw little hope for the gaming industry and felt that getting retro games from here on out would satisfy what's left of my interest in gaming. Smash was a way for me to leave the gaming scene with a bang, which was part of the reason why I anticipated this game so much.

While Smashboards was down, I still continued to post but went to NeoGAF instead for my Smash discussion (as it is a slightly better alternative than GameFAQs). Then I saw on September 1st a game that captured my attention; Mighty No. 9. I never thought I would have another game I really wanted to get, but Mighty No. 9 turned out to be that game.

Mighty No. 9 isn't just an ordinary game; it is a Mega Man-esque game being developed by Keiji Inafune. Naturally, this excites me because it's been a few years since we've had a good Mega Man game and I want to see how this "spiritual successor" turns out. But what especially drew my attention was that this is a Kickstarter funded game and that if you contribute $5, you get to be part of the dev room to help out with the game. And the game has some really cool extras as well. Pay $20 and you have forums access and the game and above that gets you even more cool rewards. I never care about Kickstarters, but this is the one exception I am willing to make (thinking about donating $80).

Seeing so much support given towards the game really pleased me. Already, Mighty No. 9 is at 40K supporters and is near $2.3 million and the game is going to be available for the PS3, 360, Wii U, Mac, PC and Linux. To me, this shows that fans are still willing to fight for things they love. So many Mega Man fans have felt burnt by Capcom that they are willing to support the project to get a Mega Man-esque game. I have said a few times that the Mega Man fan base is a very dedicated bunch and if this doesn't show that, nothing will. I very much look forward to seeing how Mighty No. 9 fares once it releases and I'm looking forward to not only the game, but also interacting with the new community and contributing to a hopefully great game.

Very shortly afterwards, I came to a realization in that video games were not going on a permanent downhill that I thought it was. Granted, a case could be made that video games are in decline and I don't disagree with that, but at the same time, we can't expect video games to be on the rise all the time. Like most things in life, video games are going to have their ups and downs and either ways won't last forever. Regardless of what is happening in the video game industry, good games will always be out and I don't want to deprive myself of a potentially great game because of my "old video games are so much better" mentality I had as of last month.

So I'm going to be giving gaming a second chance with this new way of thinking towards game. I am going to start building a PS3 collection of games (I never really bought games for it for some reason) and buying what games I want on the Wii as well. I also want to get a PS4 and 3DS as I like what I see there and feel they are consoles worth supporting. The Wii U I will eventually get, but not until the end of its life so that I can get the few worthwhile games on the system. Heck, I may even consider PC gaming in the distant future if I can get a job that pays well (and I was about to do so until I realized my video card sucks and upgrading to a recent one costs $250; which I'm not doing). The only thing I'm sure I'm not getting is the Xbox One but this has to do with me losing a ton of respect for the Xbox platform because of the Xbox One's was originally designed to screw over consumers. And of course there are many, many systems from the old times I want to get. I don't see myself ever leaving the gaming medium.

Not to mention when it comes to entertainment mediums, the only one I seriously follow is video games. I'm a casual moviegoer and only watch them on occasions. Anime and mangas I want to get into, but there are so many thing I would want to try out that I don't see myself needing to follow the industry in order to enjoy anime/mangas. Video games has been a very important part of life to me and brought me some of my very favorite memories. While I don't need video games and am willing to give them up if absolutely necessary, it is a hobby I'd really want to expand on; especially with the nearly limitless amount of interesting games available. Perhaps someday I'll make a YouTube account discussing/ranting/reviewing video games to get my thoughts out there. When making a solid posts on Smashboards, I recognize how satisfying it is to make a good post and to be able to have a positive influence on the community (even if it is only a very small part). I'm not saying I am searching for fame, but to be able to potentially contribute positively to the industry (even though I don't plan on becoming a game designer) is something that I'd like to do; even if it is as small as giving a rational viewpoint on recent issues with video games and having others see my viewpoints. Granted, I'll probably never be fully satisfied with video games (as in, getting all the games I want), but at the same time, it gives me reason to continue following the industry long after SSB 3DS & Wii U comes out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Pichu was done right like some suggestions have had people would LOVE having Pichu back.

From Melee SD Remix which I hope, to God, that they could take SOME inspiration from...

Oh and this sexy Mewtwo vid I used to heavily promote but ALWAYS got ignored:

If anything else, enjoy the music. At least, in the first and last one. 2nd is German.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I actually like Pichu...Just not gameplay wise in Smash...or pokemon for that matter...In fact, I really only like his design...Even then I like Pikachu better...

D

Deleted member

I just think it's a little weird people went from disliking/ not caring about Roy to him suddenly having a stronger support group in these years.

Did him not getting into Brawl start this thing? Or were they just a silent fan base?

Especially since his game never got (at least) an American release.
Most likely a silent group. Roy was a really popular character in Melee. I'd imagine that people were mostly silent on Roy during pre-Brawl because they expected Roy to be cut just like how Roy supporters are mostly silent now because they don't expect him to return.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll give up, nobody will ever notice the Melee SD Remix, even though it's brilliant as ****.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So from what I gathered, Lyn and Mewtwo were said to be confirmed? If so, very pleased.

I have no idea, I only saw it right when it got deleted. In all honestly if Lyn was in I'd be pissed that we didn't get a Melee veteran over some brand new character. It is Project Melee for a reason.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have no idea, I only saw it right when it got deleted. In all honestly if Lyn was in I'd be pissed that we didn't get a Melee veteran over some brand new character. It is Project Melee for a reason.

Not for me. Brawl's Assist Trophies >>>>>>>>>> Dr.Mario, Pichu and Young Link.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Not for me. Brawl's Assist Trophies >>>>>>>>>> Dr.Mario, Pichu and Young Link.

I need my Godamn Pichu! I miss playing my main back when I was good... Darn my disabled hands, it's made me age as a game player so fast. I just can't do the crazy fast stuff you have to to be a good Pichu now... I want P:M to help me relive the glory years.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Yeah, looking at the comments, people mention Lyn and Mewtwo multiple times, as well as the OP of the 'leak' replying to those comments not denying either character,

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I need my Godamn Pichu! I miss playing my main back when I was good... Darn my disabled hands, it's made me age as a game player so fast. I just can't do the crazy fast stuff you have to to be a good Pichu now... I want P:M to help me relive the glory years.

Just last page, I posted 2 vids with the most incredible Pichu buffs ever. In a mod for Melee where people have been SCREAMING Pichu was at least High Tier, comparable to C.Falcon... But you chose to ignore it so...

Lyn? Can't get behind her?

Dude, Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn is the PERFECT 4 character Fire Emblem scenario! Literally, nobody would be butthurt by it. And all have their uniqueness, despite being Sword Lords. At least 2 of them are not blue haired, and those who ARE blue haired already contrast in style a lot.

I always said that Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn would be the best scenario for a Fire Emblem roster for this game. And here, we get it in P:M. Damn son, I need to get a working Brawl disk for this.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Just last page, I posted 2 vids with the most incredible Pichu buffs ever. In a mod for Melee where people have been SCREAMING Pichu was at least High Tier, comparable to C.Falcon... But you chose to ignore it so...

I saw!

Still, I doubt my fingers could keep up to really try and go play even P:M now, I need to give up dreams of getting a Pichu qualified at a minimum to a big event.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
More buffed character goodness. Roi da boi and Pichu. Also, Zelda.

Pichu starts around 5 minutes in

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Dude, Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn is the PERFECT 4 character Fire Emblem scenario! Literally, nobody would be butthurt by it.
People get butthurt over everything. There's going to be some people butthurt that Roy/Ike are still in, some people butthurt that Lyn was chosen over some other female character, and some people butthurt that Marth hasn't been removed*.

*yes, really, there are "FE fans" who think Marth should be removed/replaced

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I always said that Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn would be the best scenario for a Fire Emblem roster for this game. And here, we get it in P:M. Damn son, I need to get a working Brawl disk for this.
Just what is the Fire Emblem anyway? Is it like the Franklin Badge?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I've always felt it was cause he was cut, but what do I know...
I dunno... think there has been polls done where the absence of Roy affected people negatively, and where Roy was highly requested by people to see in Brawl (compared the the Melee vest). What I'd like to know is when exactly did Sakurai announce that there will be cuts from Melee's roster (he did make an announcement...right?). Though, even if the majority of people who care about Roy is only because he did not appear in Brawl, then I still think his support is still legitimate as Roy's absence affected them negatively.

How has your thoughts on video games changed from one year ago (or later)?

tl;dr: My thoughts on video games have become much more positive as I realize that video games have their ups and downs and that video games are probably the only entertainment medium I seriously follow. You can thank Mighty No. 9 for that. I'm going to be working on building my collection for the PS3, Wii as well as support the PS4 and 3DS (I don't plan on getting a Wii U until near the end of the lifecycle, especially since Smash is coming out for the 3DS anyway). In the distant future, I may also get into PC gaming.

Also, what should I be aware of when it comes to good DLCs (Fallout 3) and bad DLCs (Street Fighter X Tekken)? I don't want to buy games in which DLCs are meant to get more money out of the pockets of consumers rather than DLCs benefitting the game.
Hm, I do think my thoughts have changed over the years. I'm a bit more serious video game collector, compared to a couple years ago (pretty strange, huh?). It's a shame as a 360, and I pretty much enjoy it, but I'm not planning to get an X-Box One. I'd definitely love to support Nintendo, so yeah. I've already got a Wii U, now I'm just waiting patiently for the good games haha. Uh, there's probably more I'd like to say, but I just have a bit of trouble expressing my thoughts lol. And for some reason I'm a slow typer tonight >.> haha.

But yeah, for me video gaming is one of the few entertainment mediums I follow. That and anime/manga (more so on manga though). At times I feel that my passion for gaming has wind down, and that kinda scares me haha. I do like this passion...

You said that you might get into PC gaming in the future, have you played any PC games before? If I'm not playing on Nintendo consoles, then you'd probably find me playing PC games haha.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just what is the Fire Emblem anyway? Is it like the Franklin Badge?

Depends on the game usually. Sometimes, it's just a national symbol of some nation, of great importance. Which was the case in Marth's game(s), and even Roy's game (also FE7). In Fire Emblem 8, it contained the soul of a 'Demon King'. In FE9 and FE10, Ike's games, it also contained the Goddess of Chaos.

So dem Fire Emblems are pretty serious stuff.

You would've noticed this already perhaps... :rolleyes:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Awakening fanboy?

I suggest you get Chrom'd
Last I checked, Ephraim was no more than a bonus character in Awakening.
I believe you meant Sacred Stones fanboy.

Ephraim just ****s on every lord ever.
Except Ike.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ephraim is badass yeah, I'll give you that.

Nah, Ike would still beat Ephraim. If not for Axes, then it's cause his caps >> Ephraim's caps. That, and Ragnell doesn't care about Lances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom