• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Why can't Pound just be her Fair?
Well based off matches i've played with King, pound is a real good move to use in the air. Limiting pound to the ground would kinda take away from Jiggly's aerial mix-ups

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well based off matches i've played with King, pound is a real good move to use in the air. Limiting pound to the ground would kinda take away from Jiggly's mix-ups

Hmm, that is true. I once mained Jiggs, taking her kill move in fair and making it pound would be mean. It's kinda tough...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think Sing needs to be the move that goes.
Sing sound be fleshed out and implemented into an entirely new FS for Jiggly.
Replace Sing with a possibly new Fairy type move.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Jigglypuff's double footed kick is awesome, how dare you suggest that. (jk, but I want the moves to stay as is)

Elaborate.
Event Match 51.

Ganondorf always spawns in the very back of the group, farther from you than Giga Bowser and Mewtwo.

If I try to get past Giga Bowser or end up getting stuck in between the group, Ganondorf uses that move. He uses it while I'm trying to jump over them too, if I Air-dodge, I'll still get hit by something else, knocking me around until Ganondorf can use it again.

And it's a good finisher too. Builds up damage quickly, used while Giga Bowser is beating me about, and even when I climb back on the stage, he just grabs me with Dark Dive again.

I'm not a very skilled Melee player, Ganondorf's Dark Dive is a major problem for me in that Event Match. And Giga Bowser doesn't help.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
ohhh and I heard something really funny. I was chatting with the clerk about release dates and such and he told me how their Nintendo rep told him that Smash4 (no specific version) was going to be released this Nov. :facepalm: I told him that's pretty impossible but he still stuck by it.....stupid gamestop employees lol
Oh, man. That reminds me of something funny that happened some time ago haha...

I remember some time ago I was reading the newspaper, though I'm not sure when... I think it was after Brawl's release, in 2009 (or it could have been in 2008). Anyway, there was a section with upcoming video games, though I don't remember most of them. But in that list there was a game called "Kid Icarus Wii" that was supposed to come out in February. Now, you know how there were rumors stating Factor 5 was developing (or basically coming up with concepts) for a Kid Icarus game for the Wii that was floating around? Well, I'm pretty sure that had an influence on the article or something. I seriously had to laugh at that as nobody new anything at the time, plus I didn't take the article's word one bit. :laugh:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd miss pound if it was gone.

I remember one time in an online Basic Brawl taunt match, a Marth tried to K.O. me on the Bridge of Eldin in Sudden Death for no reason, (he was taunting in the normal match) ran up to me and used his F-smash, only for my pound/slap to Star K.O. him from the back after I dodged. :chuckle:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
OK new topic.

If you could change Jigglypuff's specials, what would you give her?
I'd make Sing a command grab or something with a great effect giving how small the range is. It's not like we need it for Rest.

I'd have to look to see what Fairy type moves she gets before I can say what else they can give her.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah, I checked Bulbapedia there are only 4 fairy type moves that the public knows about.
  • Draining Kiss
  • Fairy Wind
  • Geomancy
  • Moonblast (My favorite)
But Sing should definitely be swapped out for something else.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'd miss pound if it was gone.

I remember one time in an online Basic Brawl taunt match, a Marth tried to K.O. me on the Bridge of Eldin in Sudden Death for no reason, (he was taunting in the normal match) ran up to me and used his F-smash, only for my pound/slap to Star K.O. him from the back after I dodged. :chuckle:
Curious, do you participate in taunt parties/no fighting?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sing is one of the most useless moves in all of Smash, since people can wake their characters up, it has a small impact zone, and it doesn't work in the air.
Sing can be useful in teams and FFA's, but that's about it. I don't mind it being pretty much only useful on those, but really, if it is just that, it should be really good in those.
Because her fAir is different. It has a faster startup time and less frames of hit and hurt boxes, and it offers move variety in Smash 64 and Melee that gives Jiggz a ton of approaching options, and basically renders air dodging and side step dodging useless against Jigglypuff because Jigglypuff has those two moves with timing mix ups, and because Pound goes through most air dodges and side step dodges anyways because of its' long duration.
I would remove her from the roster in favor of someone more interesting...

Jiggs is fine, but I never cared much for her.
...why would you get ride of like one of the few characters who has been excellent in 2 smash games=???

I'd honestly rather get ride of like every character not named Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Snake, Mario, Olimar, Fox, or Falco before that happens.

We got so many characters with huge issues, so why would you want to get ride of one of the few characters that doesn't have any real issues (sans sucking Brawl due to piss poor design), and on top of that is a really exciting character (as Smash 64 and Melee has shown us)=???

That would be like cutting off your leg to cure breast cancer.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Curious, do you participate in taunt parties/no fighting?
They can be fun, but to be honest, I much prefer real Brawls.

I mostly participate in taunt battles so that I can avoid getting triple-teamed. (sometimes I have fun, sometimes I just stand around, hang by the ledge, and wait for conflict between some other players) Also, it's always fun to watch two taunters get in a fight.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
SO my smash friends, I just got back from a trip to gamestop and it was certainly an eventful one! I got Pikmin 3 finally! I got the Legendary Starfy for $5 and a BRAND NEW copy of Golden Sun Dark Dawn for $15! ohhh and I heard something really funny. I was chatting with the clerk about release dates and such and he told me how their Nintendo rep told him that Smash4 (no specific version) was going to be released this Nov. :facepalm: I told him that's pretty impossible but he still stuck by it.....stupid gamestop employees lol
Oh geez, I thought to myself after reading this: "That's probably gonna happen...", and then I realized we're still in 2013. I feel dizzy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
SO my smash friends, I just got back from a trip to gamestop and it was certainly an eventful one! I got Pikmin 3 finally! I got the Legendary Starfy for $5 and a BRAND NEW copy of Golden Sun Dark Dawn for $15! ohhh and I heard something really funny. I was chatting with the clerk about release dates and such and he told me how their Nintendo rep told him that Smash4 (no specific version) was going to be released this Nov. :facepalm: I told him that's pretty impossible but he still stuck by it.....stupid gamestop employees lol
I'm pretty sure the "2014" on the trailer is pretty damning of that guy and the Nintendo rep, but okay.

But hey, that's why I always say we play as characters, not reps! :awesome:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
right? I thought it was pretty stupid...but the clerk was a cool guy so I just said that I HIGHLY doubt it and left it at that. Jokingly I told him to harass the rep for the final roster so I can post it on here and become a legend lololol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't know why, but I'd always thought that Lazytown as a WarioWare show. I guess that the blue guy reminds me a lot of Wario.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
They can be fun, but to be honest, I much prefer real Brawls.

I mostly participate in taunt battles so that I can avoid getting triple-teamed. (sometimes I have fun, sometimes I just stand around, hang by the ledge, and wait for conflict between some other players) Also, it's always fun to watch two taunters get in a fight.
I've personally come to accept them, and I enjoy them now. Mostly because brawls used to be absolute ****; there's the guy who's totally pro and should be at a tournament, the guy who kills you and pisses you off because he always taunts you, and the noob who spams Link's side tilt and Ike's everything.

D

Deleted member

...why would you get ride of like one of the few characters who has been excellent in 2 smash games=???

I'd honestly rather get ride of like every character not named Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Snake, Mario, Olimar, Fox, or Falco before that happens.

We got so many characters with huge issues, so why would you want to get ride of one of the few characters that doesn't have any real issues (sans sucking Brawl due to piss poor design), and on top of that is a really exciting character (as Smash 64 and Melee has shown us)=???

That would be like cutting off your leg to cure breast cancer.

Because I'm not trying to 'cure' anything. I just like freshening up things and having new ideas. This is why I don't mind cuts really. I hate the idea that 90% of the roster is considered 'staple.'

You wanna know who's staple?

Mario
Luigi
Pika
DK
Yoshi
Link
Fox
Samus
Kirby
Marth

Maybe
C. Falcon
Wario
Ness
Pit
Peach

Everyone else is expendable and I'd have no problems replacing. Cycling characters in and out would keep the roster more exciting each year as people would be anticipating for their old fave to come back, plus it gives us a larger selection pool at a smaller overall roster. You can get away with 30-35 characters per game and make a balanced and unique roster each time.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As big of WTF? moment I had when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, I did indeed have a bigger WTF? moment in a video game before...

Can you guess what it is?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Manly
I think sticking to what works is what's best, and so far, most of the characters work, so replacing them would be stupid, more expensive, a waste of time, and quite frankly would be a lot more time consuming. You already have the models for success with Jigglypuff, so like the most you could replace it with is like a third of a new character. On top of that, we have tons of classic Jigglypuff matches in Melee, and Jigglypuff just shows the essence of what Smash Bros. should be all about.

And unlike you, I don't think the character relevance makes the character, but the moveset, playstyle, and skillset makes the character in Smash (in other words, Captain Falcon > Donkey Kong, because Captain Falcon's moveset, playstyle, and skillset is better to play as, watch, and keeps you coming back for more decades after a smash game is released).

Jigglypuff exemplifies that more than any other character. Jigglypuff is practically irrelevant in Pokémon, but as a smash character, the only Pokémon better as a playable character will probably only ever be the 'chu.

Plus the way I see it is smash is like Street Fighter: It should only expand with characters, not go backwards, and that's so far been the norm. Granted, we're never gonna have 13 or 14 more characters per game again (well maybe not after this), but that doesn't mean the few new additions can't be big ones.
right? I thought it was pretty stupid...but the clerk was a cool guy so I just said that I HIGHLY doubt it and left it at that. Jokingly I told him to harass the rep for the final roster so I can post it on here and become a legend lololol
If the final roster contains Starman from Pro Wrestling on the NES, I will be THE LEGEND of SmashBoards, because I called it first! :shades:

D

Deleted member

@ Manly
I think sticking to what works is what's best, and so far, most of the characters work, so replacing them would be stupid, more expensive, a waste of time, and quite frankly would be a lot more time consuming. You already have the models for success with Jigglypuff, so like the most you could replace it with is like a third of a new character. On top of that, we have tons of classic Jigglypuff matches in Melee, and Jigglypuff just shows the essence of what Smash Bros. should be all about.

And unlike you, I don't think the character relevance makes the character, but the moveset, playstyle, and skillset makes the character in Smash (in other words, Captain Falcon > Donkey Kong, because Captain Falcon's moveset, playstyle, and skillset is better to play as, watch, and keeps you coming back for more decades after a smash game is released).

Jigglypuff exemplifies that more than any other character. Jigglypuff is practically irrelevant in Pokémon, but as a smash character, the only Pokémon better as a playable character will probably only ever be the 'chu.

Plus the way I see it is smash is like Street Fighter: It should only expand with characters, not go backwards, and that's so far been the norm. Granted, we're never gonna have 13 or 14 more characters per game again (well maybe not after this), but that doesn't mean the few new additions can't be big ones.

If the final roster contains Starman from Pro Wrestling on the NES, I will be THE LEGEND of SmashBoards, because I called it first! :shades:

Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I disagree, with that mentality we'd never had gone to space, and most scientific discoveries would have never been made. You must always be willing to pick up and drop different concepts if you want to truly grow and mature.

Street Fighter redoes its roster with each main instalment. The roster of SFII is different from SFAlpha which is different from SF3 which is different from SF4, I don't see your point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My WTF moment that was bigger than when I found out about Wii Fit Trainer in Smash 4 is...

Warning: Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess spoilers.

Makes sense if you've fought this boss

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As big of WTF? moment I had when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, I did indeed have a bigger WTF? moment in a video game before...

Can you guess what it is?
That one weird guy Dampierre from Soul Calibur. I'd always thought he didn't fit in with the other characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I disagree, with that mentality we'd never had gone to space, and most scientific discoveries would have never been made. You must always be willing to pick up and drop different concepts if you want to truly grow and mature.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it wasn't what I was suggesting.

I'm say that if it works, blow it up isn't a smart move, which is what you're suggesting.
Street Fighter redoes its roster with each main instalment. The roster of SFII is different from SFAlpha which is different from SF3 which is different from SF4, I don't see your point.
With Street Fighter IV they basically treated it as a Street Fighter II sequel with all of the Street Fighter II characters, and have slowly expanded to incorporated characters from Alpha (which wasn't that popular) and Street Fighter III (which had a lot of clones) to the roster.

Seeing as how Smash doesn't have the clone problem Street Fighter has and how the character quality is much better, we don't have a roster or game sub-series we need to ignore, so thus, taking everyone out is unnecessary.

Also, the DLC has expanded the characters quite a bit.

D

Deleted member

I'm say that if it works, blow it up isn't a smart move, which is what you're suggesting.

With Street Fighter IV they basically treated it as a Street Fighter II sequel with all of the Street Fighter II characters, and have slowly expanded to incorporated characters from Alpha (which wasn't that popular) and Street Fighter III (which had a lot of clones) to the roster.

Seeing as how Smash doesn't have the clone problem Street Fighter has and how the character quality is much better, we don't have a roster or game sub-series we need to ignore, so thus, taking everyone out is unnecessary.

Well, I suppose that's where we differ in personal philosophies.

I'm always willing to drop what may seem good if I know I can do better. I'm fine with leaving my "comfort zone" and exploring new opportunities, and I take that sort of approach to everything, as fresh and exciting ideas offer opporunities, and in the case of Smash, a completely redone roster is fine. Idk, it kinda comes from the fact that my dad likes to collect junk cause it might seem useful in the future, and that's always bothered me. Nothing like a clean slate to start anew with. If you try to latch on to the past, then you don't give yourself enough room to really grow and explore new ideas. Such is the case with Smash.

It's kinda crazy how I'm taking a life philosophy and applying it to a fighting game roster, but that's just the way I see things. After all, I'm the dude who moved to a different continent with nothing but $3000 and a European passport. I let go everything I had, and tbh, I'm more than willing to do it again. If I find better things for me on the other side of the world, I'll gladly pack up what I need and take a leap.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Me, JediSuperSonic and JustaBill were talking about each character receiving their own stage. so this is what i managed to come up with, I just made a stage selection based off of Brawls roster and the confirmed SSB4 newcomers:

Mario - Gusty Garden Galaxy Planetismal (That galaxy stage everyone wants)
Luigi - Luigi's Mansion
Peach - Peach's Castle (HD revision to the Melee stage)
Bowser - Bowser's Castle (3D Land inspired)

Yoshi - Yoshi's Island

DK - Jungle Japes (An HD revision to the Smash 64 and Melee version of the level with the barrel that moves at the bottom)
Diddy - Minecart stage (Think Big Blue, but with Mine carts)

Wario- Warioware inc. (HD revision to Brawls)

Link - Skyloft
Zelda/Shiek - Hyrule Castle (HD revision to smash 64's)
Ganondorf - Greudo Keep
Toon Link - The Great Sea

Samus/ZSS - Pyrosphere

Olimar - Forest of Hope or Distant Tundra themed stage.

Pit - Skyworld

Ice Climbers - Icicle Mountain (HD Melee revision) stage.

R.O.B - Gyromite stage (Has that 75mm vibe to it, but more playable (Link))

Kirby - Fountain of Dreams (HD remake)
King DDD - Dreamland (Smash 64 HD remake)
Metaknight - Halberd (HD revision)

Fox - Sector z/Corneria (Obligatory Great Fox stage)
Falco - Lylat Cruise (Brawl HD remake)
Wolf - Sargasso Space Zone (It is basically Wolf's hideout)

C. Falcon - Mute City (HD remake of the Melee stage)

Pikachu- Pokemon Stadium 3 (With X/Y Pokes and new stage transitions)
Pokemon Trainer- Mt. Silver
Jigglypuff - Saffron City (64 HD revison)
Lucario - Spear Pillar (idk)

Ness - Onett (HD remake of the Melee stage)
Lucas - A better New Pork City stage.

Marth - Arena stage.
Ike - The Great Bridge (Think Bridge of Eldin, but with ballista/catapult stage hazards)

Mr. G&W Flatzone 3 (Can a brotha get a slightly bigger stage this time???)

Sonic - Green Hill (A better stage layout than Brawls)

Snake - Shadow Moses (Brawl HD remake)

Megaman - Dr. Wily's Castle

Wii Fit Trainer - Fitness room

Villager - Smahsville 2

D

Deleted member

Except Pyroshpere is clearly Ridley's stage :troll:, not Samus's. We're likely gonna get another Metroid stage (Skytown Elysia plox)

Oh, and Snake's stage HAS to be this:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Except Pyroshpere is clearly Ridley's stage :troll:, not Samus's. We're likely gonna get another Metroid stage (Skytown Elysia plox)
Was that the Metriod Prime 3 (The only prime game I've played) level with the power lines??
Lemme check.

EDIT: Ok it is, how would the stage layout be setup???

D

Deleted member

Was that the Metriod Prime 3 (The only prime game I've played) level with the power lines??
Lemme check.

EDIT: Ok it is, how would the stage layout be setup???
Many platforms floating around? Or maybe like Rainbow cruise. I think a mix of Rainbow Cruise+Delphino would be ideal for this stage, yeah, like Pokefloats, oh man, that'd be awesome, I loved Pokefloats.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Street Fighter does not have that big of a clone problem as you think. The closest you have are the shotos and they've been diversified every time they make an appearance. You can't play Ryu, Ken, Evil Ryu, Oni, and Akuma the same way. I wouldn't even call Sakura, Dan, and Gouken shotoclones.

And saying Smash's character quality is better? Weren't you the one ******** the other day about Pit and ROB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom