• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Fastblade
Dat horse man... it's gotta sell more than 50k consoles per month... :troll:
Ugh.. I don't usually hate people, but Vesperview, I did hate. An unbearable Masked Man fanboy.
Oh yeah, I disliked him too.
I had completely forgotten we discussed Sheik back then, must have dumped my memory once I felt not a lot of people here remembered me. :p

And lol at that 2nd pic, I remember it too. XD
Yeah, I remember you. Come to think of it, I remember you, disfunk, Star, M&S Guy, TK, and others more than I think I did. Usually the only names left that pop in my head are Eternal Phoenix Fire (I still need to get back at you for eliminating me from the Brawl SmashBoards tournament) and Smooth Criminal.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What are the top 3 Nintendo games that you ever played?
1.- Super Smash Bros.
I played it a lot back when it first came out. Spent countless hours playing it with friends. When a friend didn't have it, I RENTED IT for them. (Never owned an N64)

I also played it a lot when I was training to face people in Melee (lol, I know..)
I also played it a lot at work on an emulator when I had free time, and there was early Brawl hype.
(Technically, Melee and Brawl should be 2 and 3... but I'll include them here because they're part of the same series.)
The first SSB was very special to me. :) Great times and great memories.

2.- StarTropics
One of the games that got me into gaming. Cruel hard back then, but I almost play it religiously every month. There's something about its lighthearted yet wacky story that I always get an urge to play again and again. The tropical settings, awesome weapons (Yo-Yo to the face, ****es!) And the music's great too.
Pretty awesome Zelda clone that should have gotten more recognition... Particularly in the West since we were its (forced) target audience.
I've replayed it so many times, I lost count by now. I still long for the day when I can find at least a single glitch in it.

3- Pokemon Yellow (sub mention, Pokemon Silver where the legacy continued)
Because there was a time when I was giving up on having friends (or they were slowly turning their backs on me), and I felt scorned at school. Pokemon Yellow and an empty corridor were my escape from it all.
I remember building awesome teams, and spending so many hours raising them LEGALLY.
I should have a toast for my former favorite team: Lapras, Parasect, Rhydon, Pikachu/Raichu, Articuno, Mewtwo. I know my final team was all made out of oddballs including Mr.Mime and other characters nobody used at the time, which gave ME a slight edge sometimes.

Honorable Mention:
4.- Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening / Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
I played these three as a trilogy. Link's Awakening DX was my first Zelda game, and I loved it to death.
It's my most replayed Zelda game to this day.
And I love the Oracle games were great! So many fun ways to play it. Rings, or switching the story order around. Not to mention those Ultimate Puzzle Dungeons.
I wish some of those Rings actually did something... I was a bit disappointed with the transformation rings since you couldn't attack while wearing them.

And that's it. My most played/replayed Nintendo games. Would credit Punch Out, but I just became a fan of the franchise back in 2008 I think.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
I'm dead tired by now and have to be awake for another 12 hours for a specific reason, fml. To kill time, I'd like to ask somewhat of an interesting question. What are the top 3 Nintendo games that you ever played? Please include why as well. (This is just personal opinion, don't take it seriously if someone liked a game you disliked). For myself:
3- Mario party 5: It was just too good of a game in my opinion, I really liked its mini games especially Hotel Goomba. My family and I played the crap out of it :chuckle:
2- Luigi's mansion: Oooooh boy the memories behind this game :rotfl:, I remember my cousins and I playing this when we were around 8-10 years old. We would hide under sheets and play it in the dark. The scariest part of the game was in the beginning when the portraits were alive and talking :eek:. I surely do cherish the memories behind Luigi's mansion, it reminded me of how awesome my cousins used to be before becoming League of Legends addicts :facepalm:
1- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: I never thought I'd play a game for almost 6 years and won't get bored of it. I personally create my own mini-games with friends, create DnDs based off Brawl, and play the game creatively. It's just an awesome game both competitively and casually.

3 - Kirby's Air Ride: Spent hours playing endless City Trial with my brother and friends, and we would just screw around with all the different vehicles. Probably just nostalgic for it.
2 - Kid Icarus Uprising: One of the best reasons to buy a 3DS. Sure, the controls are awkward, but if you get used to them, it can be amazing. I remember that when I beat it, I thought that it was such a groundbreaking game for Nintendo. The characters were great, and the fact that it had different voice actors for each character was amazing. Sure, many games have voice acting, but a Nintendo with voice acting is very rare. Plus, it had some pretty dark moments for a game that is rated E+10.
1 - Super Smash Bros Melee: Melee had a great fighting system, the way the game was presented was great, the menus are great (they always stood out to me), and the game was great.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wild Mass Guessing: We're not getting an update tonight since we had two in a row. :troll:

Anyway, top 3 Nintendo? In no order...

Quest 64 - I've never played such an engaging RPG where all that matters is actually your choices of how you train and what to put up. All the other games are all about armor and items. This time, for a Nintendo game, you must choose wisely. While I do enjoy some rpg's more, this really showed me what it means to have a choice-driven game. Also, despite the story being linear as hell(although the game itself isn't), it had the best battle system I've ever played bar none.

Super Mario 64 - While the first Super Mario Bros. was indeed awesome, this got me into 3D games easily. It was one of the best 3D Adventure games I've ever played and really made a good use of items, interaction with the environment, and a nice blend of music and graphics.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - While this ties with Majora's Mask for my top Zelda games, this is far more accessible and replayable(in general, I know MM has more actual replayability), with a really fun storyline, a good formula that isn't Triforce, Ganon, or Zelda(herself) driven, fun characters, and of course, it was neat that is was essentially what A Link to the Past would be on a handheld.(To note, it was originally ALTTP remake. But it got made into a cooler game as is. By cooler, I mean that it was an unique experience, not that ALTTP is actually overall better, since that's a matter of opinion) Likewise, you can tell there was some obvious similarities. The item list, some of the Dungeons, a near identical Map, even the Bosses themselves bared some similarities...

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
How do you think that would work if it was a move?

That whole center of balance thing in Wii Fit gave me trouble. Couldn't keep the dot in the middle for the duration of the time bar.

At least, that what I remember it being like. Haven't played Wii Fit in a year or so.

Well if it is indeed Deep Breathing, which is what it looks like to me, it would make sense that maybe it recovers health or something like that.
That'd be cool. It'd be the first move in the series where you can recover health. (G&W has the food thing from Judge, but that's random)

----

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
[collapse="shinhed-echi's list"]1.- Super Smash Bros.
I played it a lot back when it first came out. Spent countless hours playing it with friends. When a friend didn't have it, I RENTED IT for them. (Never owned an N64)
I also played it a lot when I was training to face people in Melee (lol, I know..)
I also played it a lot at work on an emulator when I had free time, and there was early Brawl hype.
(Technically, Melee and Brawl should be 2 and 3... but I'll include them here because they're part of the same series.)
The first SSB was very special to me. :) Great times and great memories.

2.- StarTropics
One of the games that got me into gaming. Cruel hard back then, but I almost play it religiously every month. There's something about its lighthearted yet wacky story that I always get an urge to play again and again. The tropical settings, awesome weapons (Yo-Yo to the face, ****es!) And the music's great too.
Pretty awesome Zelda clone that should have gotten more recognition... Particularly in the West since we were its (forced) target audience.
I've replayed it so many times, I lost count by now. I still long for the day when I can find at least a single glitch in it.

3- Pokemon Yellow (sub mention, Pokemon Silver where the legacy continued)
Because there was a time when I was giving up on having friends (or they were slowly turning their backs on me), and I felt scorned at school. Pokemon Yellow and an empty corridor were my escape from it all.
I remember building awesome teams, and spending so many hours raising them LEGALLY.
I should have a toast for my former favorite team: Lapras, Parasect, Rhydon, Pikachu/Raichu, Articuno, Mewtwo. I know my final team was all made out of oddballs including Mr.Mime and other characters nobody used at the time, which gave ME a slight edge sometimes.

Honorable Mention:
4.- Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening / Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
I played these three as a trilogy. Link's Awakening DX was my first Zelda game, and I loved it to death.
It's my most replayed Zelda game to this day.
And I love the Oracle games were great! So many fun ways to play it. Rings, or switching the story order around. Not to mention those Ultimate Puzzle Dungeons.
I wish some of those Rings actually did something... I was a bit disappointed with the transformation rings since you couldn't attack while wearing them.

And that's it. My most played/replayed Nintendo games. Would credit Punch Out, but I just became a fan of the franchise back in 2008 I think.[/collapse]
Top 3 favorite Nintendo games=???
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee - Best game ever made.
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - In my humble opinion the best single-player 2D side scrolling game, platforming game, and 80's game of all-time. Technically you can put Super Mario All-Stars or Super Mario-All Stars Featuring Super Mario World here I guess.
3. Super Smash Bros. 64 - Just a pure classic game that changed the way I view genres forever, and really showcased what genre mixing can do!

[collapse="Honorable mentions"]
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario All-Stars (including the version featuring Super Mario World)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (I still freaking love that title/pun)
The Legend of Zelda (original) (best in the series IMO)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Star Fox 64
Pokémon Red/Green/Blue (especially)/Yellow
Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal (especially)
Pokémon Ruby (especially)/Sapphire/Emerald
Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (especially)
EarthBound
MOTHER 3
Animal Crossing
Punch-Out!!
Super Punch-Out!!
Golden Eye: 007
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Tetris (specifically on the Game Boy)[/collapse]

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Glad to see that most of you guys picked Smash as the #1 Nintendo game.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Maybe its a taunt.
Maybe your mom is a taunt.

What are the top 3 Nintendo games that you ever played? Please include why as well. (This is just personal opinion, don't take it seriously if someone liked a game you disliked).
Ooooh, tough one to make choices for.

1. Super Smash Bros: Either 64, Melee, or Brawl. It's so hard to decide.
----

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky: I thought PMD Rescue Team was cool, but I didn't get interested until I found out that a Grovyle character was going to play a big antagonistic role in the second PMD games. I first heard about him because I saw him in the anime special. I then found out he'd be voiced by Dan Green and I was sold.

I'm a Treecko line fantard, so I felt like I had a very deep connection with that Grovyle, since he's your partner and friend from before the events of the game.
And yes, the game made me cry the first time I went through it. Pretty hard game to get through too, in my opinion.

I hope they bring some tracks from PMD2 into Smash this time, like Dark Wasteland, Hidden Land, Fortune Ravine, and Dialga's Fight to the Finish. Of course, bring in the awesome tracks from Rescue Team and Gates to Infinity, too.
----

3. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga: I just have great memories with this game from the Christmas of 2003. Love the humor, the long time it takes to beat the game, the various story twists, and the characters. Still one of the best GBA games ever, in my opinion.

Others:
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons: First Zelda game I ever owned and played all the way through. I also love Oracle of Ages. Pretty unique set of games.
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe: First video game I ever owned.
Super Mario Land:
Donkey Kong 94 (GB):
Zelda: Majora's Mask:
Zelda: Twilight Princess:
Xenoblade Chronicles: I don't own it and I've never played it, but I've watched walkthroughs and listened to music and it's quite awesome. Shulk for SSB4 and D!ckson and/or Riki as Assist Trophy!
Various Pokemon games
Various Kirby games
The Wario Land games

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I won't call today's picture filler. It shows us something new.

Maybe it's a taunt that recovers a small amount of damage....

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:
That was my forth choice... I was thinking about putting PMD 2 as #3 instead of Mario party 5.

That scene... I won't comment, let the emotions speak for itself.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
@ greenluigi
There is a chance that the last gif is actually just a typical animation for when characters aren't moving.
In the video Sakurai performed all 3 consecutively. Any other time WFT stood still for a while all she does is move her knees.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm glad they made Link shorter, actually. He's never been that tall in his games, and this could potentially "eliminate" Link as a heavyweight, which was sorely needed.

Also, that side camera angle definitely makes Luigi look taller and wider than he actually is.
Link not being a heavy weight would make him die even earlier. We ALL know he'll still have the worst recovery in the game anyway. Or at least, top 5 of the worst recoveries.

I want Zelda and Sheik revealed next so we could put these Impa fantasies into the grave.
No. :reverse:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Perhaps you control the red dot in the blue circle? Can just move it around freely in there while you remain stationary.. Maybe it reflects or damages whatever it touches...?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Top 3 Nintendo games?

1. Melee
2. Majora's mask
3.Path of Radience
Also coincidentally is my top 3 video games list. : )

Explanations? Do I have to? Fine...

Melee- Had a lot of fun times playing it with my friends. Lots of good times and in jokes. Honestly it's not so much the game itself I like as the people I play it with and the memories associated with that, but that doesn't change the fact that it's my favorite game. Plus I play lots of other games with my friends and we've never had as much fun with anything else(except maybe 4 swords), so I guess you could call it a great "framing device" for having fun with people. I love how random the game is (if you're playing 4 player free for all items on crazy stages lightning mode that is of course), because it means something crazy is bound to happen. Every time I play something memorable happens, and I've played the game hundreds of times.

Mask-Loved the emphasis on side quests and the fact that you get masks made it feel like you got a significant, tangible, unique reward for most side quests, the lack of which is the only thing that keeps side quests from being my favorite part of a lot of RPGs. Liked that it had more emphasis on the over world and the quirky characters that inhabited it, which I think is usually the strong suit of Zelda games IMO, and that the side character got fleshed out surprisingly well. Since the world actually progressed with time and had a finite ending it felt much more alive than almost any other game world, and yet you had a chance to explore all angles of the world via the time loop, which is the perfect combination for an engrossing game world IMO(and yes I realize other games have done that as well). Liked that it had an emphasis on the other races and even let you play as them, because again one of the best things about Zelda to me is it actually has a set of famous and recognizable races that aren't something hijacked straight from Tolkien or Mythology, which is shockingly rare in fantasy games. But most of all I love the ambiance, it's very dark but not in a moody or "hardcore" way but rather in a very emotional way that is pretty rare and hard to capture and is very powerful. To put it another way it keeps a haunting, dark tone but it doesn't let that impede it's emotional range, showing many different ranges of bittersweet and sometimes swinging into full on joy that is enjoyable yet serves as a painful contrast to the general gloom of the game and the inevitability of doom hanging over it without feeling out of place. Everything in the game contributes well to the tone-the way the characters are designed, the plot conflict, the mechanics, the art style and imagery, the themes, the setting, the nature of the side quests, Jesus Christ the music, it really is a game totally based around tone. Most of all walking around castle town as it becomes deserted and people say their last goodbys or resign themselves to their fate is positively unreal. The conclusion of the Kafei quest where Kafei and Anju meet as they're about to die is my favorite moment in gaming, nothing else even comes close. For other game serials I have an idea for what my ideal game in that series would be; for Zelda I don't have one because they already freakn' made it. It hits absolutely every right spot I could possibly think of. Basically I think it's the perfect game, Melee only beats it because it's much more than a game to me.

Radience- I'll keep this short since I just wrote a freakn' essay on Majora's Mask. Support conversations are the bomb because they make you care about all the minor units of your army that would be left horribly undeveloped in other games where you control any army. Whenever I play a map in Fire Emblem I make up a fanfiction-esque story of the battle in my head and that's always tons of fun. I also like how experience is a resource in most Fire Emblem games and there's no grinding, and all the other mechanics are pretty great too. Also good writing. Radiance is my favorite of them because I thought it handled the ability system the best, I thought it had the best map design, I though it was balanced the best(in terms of how much Exp./equipment it given to you vs. what you're expected to do) and had the best difficulty curve, the story was presented the best even if the actual content was nothing groundbreaking, and the cast of characters was on the better side and Ike was a lot more likeable than most of the other lords(again mostly due to presentation since there really a whole lot to him) and one of the Very, very few RPG main characters I like in general.

TLDR(I don't blame you)- Refer to list at top of post.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
That was my forth choice... I was thinking about putting PMD 2 as #3 instead of Mario party 5.

That scene... I won't comment, let the emotions speak for itself.
That? Meh, people say "it makes dem cry evrtym", but it's not that sad in the game for me. Sad, but not sad enough to make me cry or anything. But I like how they did it in the anime special. "Protect the sunrise...for everyone's sake." *sheds manly tear* Kinda cheesy though.

The scene where Grovyle, Celebi, and Dusknoir "die" in Special Episode 5 of Sky is powerful, though.

Untitled-1.png

Hey Diddy, have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7lBL7O1vs&t=7m13s

He shares my thoughts on Impa almost to a T, but I just don't know if SSB4 is her time yet. If Smash had a bigger roster and more Zelda slots, then sure, I wouldn't mind, but...

----

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How do we know how many slots for each series we'll get? Right now, if we get a fifth slot, there's quite a lot of characters to add. I'd give Tingle the top though. Having his own games and his clear appearances in Smash show he actually matters, where as Impa has never been once mentioned in Melee or Brawl. I think she'll finally get something, but a character just isn't in the cards till maybe the 5th(by 5th, I mean the next game after the 3DS and Wii U). However, I admit she could become DLC after we get Tingle as a 5th slot.(after Link, Ganondorf(Toon, TP, OOT, or otherwise), Zelda/Sheik, Child Link, who are the most important Zelda characters bar none) She does have to only compete with Ghirahim, Demise(I wouldn't give him as much credit since he's closer to regular Ganon status, important, but not worth a character as is, costume only or a Final Smash, though...), Vaati, and Skull Kid. Dark Link is a bit lower, but he'd probably be a costume again anyway.(he's really important as Skull Kid, important, but not majorly)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Treecko, I've checked the video, and yeah, I do get the point. I just disagree with it. I don't think Zelda should have the Sheik transformation gimmick in general. I'd prefer both to split up as characters. And since Sheik (much like say, a standalone Ivysaur) wouldn't get in if it wasn't for this gimmick.

A standalone Zelda is much more likely, as Zelda was always the 'main' character of the two. Much like how Samus is the 'main' character of Samus / Zero Suit Samus get me? As Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are just alternative versions of Zelda and Samus.

But yeah, I'd like it if Impa would get in as a standalone character without replacing Sheik at this point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I doubt they'll make her standalone, since being a combo character is what made her unique. It's different from Samus and Zero Suit Samus since they're clearly made to work best as separate characters. Zelda/Shiek are designed for the sole purpose of being together as one. Note, it does different from Pokemon Trainer as each also stands alone rather well naturally. But you are supposed to switch. The key difference is that Zelda and Sheik are technically the same person.(technically, because you could get their trophies at the same time in Melee going through once, but not in Brawl. So it's awkward now. Keep in mind at one time Mario and Metal Mario were different people back in 64, but the same person in Melee/Brawl.)

Also, Metal Mario and Mario are even treated as different people in Mario Kart 7. So... it's hard to say. Either way, Zelda/Sheik is very unique in their playstyle that nobody else brings to the table in the same way. That, and were introduced to be exact that unique style. I'm not saying Sheik is impossible to cut, but I don't see a reason to anymore. If Link went with his SS appearance, maybe, but he kept his TP appearance while noting his other incarnations. I'd expect Zelda(and probably Sheik) to do the same.

And yes, I think Impa could make a neat standalone character. I just don't think she's too likely in this game. On the other hand, maybe there's 6 full slots where Tingle is the 3DS character(starts there, transferrable to the Wii U) and Impa's the other one on the Wii U? I'd like that. They both make sense best there, since Tingle actually has his own Handheld games, while Impa's main appearances were towards the Console, at least, where she's fully important. Likewise, most of her appearances(in or supplement) are on Consoles too.

Of course, this depends if a game starts with a character the other doesn't have. His words were vague enough to mean that the final rosters are equal, but the specific game rosters could be different. If you're wondering, I do think the rosters shouldn't require the other to play.(although I'm okay with the story mode letting you upgrade chars for the Wii U version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom