• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Not trying to be mean but a huge part of most Christian beliefs along with Islam and other religions is evangelism. Jesus was in public preaching, Paul was in public preaching, Peter was in public preaching, they all got killed for it. I don't understand why people hate others sharing their faith. I am Christian but I sat down and talked with Hindus, Muslims, and Jews about their faith and I feel honored when people care enough to approach me and share their faith (even the annyoing door to door Mormans, Jehovah Witnesses). I also study and have thought through my religion so I have answers or at least ideas of answers when people quiz me.
I meant to use that post to diffuse the religion discussions, but I'm a sucker for arguments, so here goes.
There are some things I don't like about your post. I'm not offended in any way, don't worry, I think there are just some misconceptions I think you have.

First of all, I want to preface this with the fact that I am in no way religious, I am completely agnostic.

You say evangelism is a big part of many religions. While this is true, I think today many people argue this in a skewed way, and it easily gets out of hand.

The point of evangelism is to try to convert someone else to your religion. Lets think about that for a second. Your religion - your beliefs of right and wrong, human morals, order in the universe, the truth about life and death - someone is going to try and completely change your views on all of that at once. For most people, probably the views they have had their entire life. That takes a lot of nerve.

In order for someone to try to change MY views on any of these things, they'd need A) - Proof. which no one has. or B) very good reasoning. Ancient texts of questionable origins don't count.

Now, personally, as an agnostic, my beliefs can change from day to day. I have certain values which I hold on to, regarding basic human morality, I'd like to believe in an afterlife (although I kinda doubt it), and I have no opinion either way on whether or not there is a god.

So someone's gonna knock at my door, invite themselves into my house, and ask me if I ever considered that everything about the world I know is wrong?

The problem with religion is, it stifles learning, curiosity, and understanding. Nobody has proof of anything after death, or hard proof on the creation of the universe, or the soul. Nobody knows, really knows about that yet.

This scares some people. They say, I want to know, I am scared of death. It's ok to be scared of death. The problem is, religion says, I know. I know what happens after death. I know what created everything. I know if you are good or evil.

This ends all thought afterwards. Being human, being rational, being curious, being able to learn and discover, all comes from being able to say "I don't know", and ask why.
A guy has a book he claims is really old and answers all of life's mysteries? That's the easy way out. Being able to face not knowing, being able to try to discover, that is strength.

I don't know if anyone will ever prove anything about life after death. But no one will ever know that if we blindly believe some guy with a book and a big hat. I don't mean this as an insulting way at all, but, I believe anyone who strongly subscribes to religion is weak willed. They either A) are that religion because their parents are, and don't question it. It became a culture and community for them, so rather than lose connection with their friends they decided to orient their views of the universe with a large group.- or B) had their foundations shaken, were too weak to put their life together, so they 'found jesus' who put their life together for them. They asked the universe 'why?' and did not get an answer. They asked the clergy 'why?' and they said Don't worry, God has a plan for everyone, and it's beautiful.

My foundation has been shaken many times. I've been both a cocky pompous asshole, and broken and suicidal. Being agnostic - it's not the lack of religion. It isn't easy. It can sometimes be very, very hard to not know. But i'd be killing part of myself if I pretended to have an answer. I'm not agnostic because it is easy, I am agnostic because it is hard.

So I'm walking to my class, and some guy is standing outside the library - a place of learning - and is telling me to accept the bible? He may not have it in mind when he's saying it, but he wants me to ditch my hard earned, carefully forged system of beliefs and thoughts on knowledge, life, and the universe? what nerve!

So, If you are a Christian, as you said, I don't mind that at all. If you have had long thoughts, considered different options, questioned individual rules, that's cool. If you want to discuss differences or similarities in what we believe, I'm all for that. I love arguing semantics. But if you go door to door asking if people have ever really thought about anything big ever, in my eyes, you're kind of a ****, and in the metaphor, this counts as 'waving it around in public'
I'm not going to bundle missionary work in that definition, because that's real charity work that wouldn't happen otherwise and makes a big difference in the world.

But religions don't even need evangelism. One of the oldest religions in the world, Judaism, specifically doesn't allow it. you can't convert to Judaism, unless you marry in, and even then, you're still not a jew by blood. They've endured (arguably) more hardship than ANY other culture, and they've survived. Why does Christianity need it so?

And I've seen corrupt churches in my day. My old high school used to share a building with a church, and they were the most penny pinching money grabbers I ever saw. I know this can't apply to all public preaching, but there's definitely a percentage of them that only do it for the money and power.

And don't get me started on hatred. Too many religions hate gays. This kind of bigoted ego completely turns me off to ANY group of people. There is NO validation for hatred of someone do to their skin color, gender, or sexual preferences. Catholicism still doesn't allow women preachers. Dark ages anyone?

Ok, I got a bit off track in my anti evangelism rant there. went kinda anti religion.
I sounded harsher than I mean to be, I apologize if I offended anyone. I only offered a mixture of opinions and facts. If you wanna discuss religion further, feel free to pm me, I really don't wanna flood the brawl boards with more religion talk xD. (I do love discussing religion with people, however, so anyone, please, hit me up on that xD)

(disclaimer - I don't hate religion, I believe it does a lot of good in the world in terms of charity and community. I'm just not part of it)

RIDLEY SM4SH

D

Deleted member

So... Mewthree confirmed for not Mewthree, but Mewtwo's Awakening form, and Sylveon hinted at being a new type. Here's a video explaining it all and showing off Mewtwo's transformation sequence... Guess it's gonna be a lame ass Final Smash after all. How boring.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Gamefreak....You let me down......again.

Also I think Sylveon might be some sort of new type or a Flying type.

D

Deleted member

Gamefreak....You let me down......again.

Also I think Sylveon might be some sort of new type or a Flying type.
I really hope not...

But think about it for a sec...

All the Eeveelutions so far have been of a special type, a flying type Eevee would break that.

The Egg COULD represent Dragon, though, Sylveon doesn't look like a Dragon type.

D

Deleted member

Just curious... Why do you find it boring?
Because it's another Transformation FS like Super Sonic, Giga Bowser and Warioman, I can already tell how it's gonna work and it's very uninspired. That's boring. Rather than coming up with new ideas that are creative, they will simply bank on a cliche gimmick found in ALL Shounen Manga.

>This isn't even my FINAL Form.

Yeah, it's pretty lame.

I can only pray Sakurai gets creative and makes Mewtwo into a transforming character of sorts like Valkenhein, by reworking him completely, but I doubt it. People eat that **** up. He knows people will love to see Mewtwo go Super Saiyan, Bankai, Kuubi mode, or whatever-the-****... So it'll just be a lame ass Final Smash that I ain't gonna bother with.

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ samusrules93... we started a seperate discussion. Get Frost Wraith to invite you to it and repost there that way we can avoid discussion on here. Also, my issue is that I grew up in a very different Christian church than Catholic so there is no clergy in my church. My preacher makes very little money and works as a Construction worker in the day harder then most people I know. He has done some really tough jobs so my church doesn't pinch money.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I really hope not...

But think about it for a sec...

All the Eeveelutions so far have been of a special type, a flying type Eevee would break that.

The Egg COULD represent Dragon, though, Sylveon doesn't look like a Dragon type.
Yeah i was thinking Dragon too, but it really doesn't look like one as you said.

vicgur

Smash Ace
I don't know if it's been discussed earlier, but...

Guys... Nintendo heard us. Earthbound is coming to the west because we asked for it!
Am I the only one who is pretty psyched by that?
Miiverse might be the ultimate way to be heard. To express our opinion, with the hope of not being completely ignored.
That's pretty awesome.

PS: Let's flood F-Zero's Community with "We want a new F-Zero" stuff.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Interesting. Good news and smart on Nintendo's part to listen to customers requests. They have often ignored fans in the past.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Interesting. Good news and smart on Nintendo's part to listen to customers requests. They have often ignored fans in the past.
I wonder whats gonna happen when they release/if...they release a Sm4sh Miiverse section...

loool 1000+ pages spammed with ''please put ______ char in Sm4sh Nintendo!''

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder whats gonna happen when they release/if...they release a Sm4sh Miiverse section...

loool 1000+ pages spammed with ''please put ______ char in Sm4sh Nintendo!''
Oh gosh I hope they don't do that... or at least do it when it's already too late and the roster is finalized, then I'd be fine.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
But then they'll get 1000+ spam of "please put_____ char as DLC in Sm4sh Nintendo!"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But then they'll get 1000+ spam of "please put_____ char as DLC in Sm4sh Nintendo!"
Okay, don't make a miiverse section for smash at all. All the 1000+ "please put Goku/ Master Chief/ *insert random Sonic character*/ Naruto for DLC in smash" spam is just going to be nothing more but a huge headache.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Okay, don't make a miiverse section for smash at all. All the 1000+ spam "please put Goku/ Master Chief/ *insert random Sonic character*/ Naruto for DLC in smash" Is just going to be nothing more but a huge headache.
Hmmm yh..unless its used constructivly..but yh lol..that wont happen...but by the time they release one/if they do no doubt all the chars will be finalised...lol they might aswell sticky that at the top in caps.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, saying "SUPER SECRET" doesn't convince me that it's in any way a real deal. Plus the lack of Retro Studio's project and (like shinpichu said) Smash Bros. 3D makes it even harder to believe. And why does it list Super Mario Galaxy 2? The Galaxy series is done and over with (why is that so hard for people to understand that?) and I believe Mario needs to move away from Galaxy if he wants to continue.

EDIT: No Wind Waker HD is listed either.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
why the hell is everyone mad at this new mewtwo form probably being the final smash?
isn't it enough that there is a bigger chance for mewtwo's return to the smash series!?

and we still know nothing...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
why the hell is everyone mad at this new mewtwo form probably being the final smash?
isn't it enough that there is a bigger chance for mewtwo's return to the smash series!?
Everyone? I know of only one user who dislikes this idea.

D

Deleted member

and we still know nothing...
>Everyone...

I wish. Nah, it's just me complaining.

I'm complaining because I can really. I never really cared about Mewtwo coming back or not. Never gave two ****s about him in general. Mewtwo coming back isn't exciting for me. I would have welcomed him more if this Form was an Alt Costume or his replacement or something. As I liked the design. But since it means that it'll just be a generic FS, I'm just gonna sit here and *****.

Also, call me a negative Nancy but:

I don't know if it's been discussed earlier, but...

Guys... Nintendo heard us. Earthbound is coming to the west because we asked for it!
Am I the only one who is pretty psyched by that?
Miiverse might be the ultimate way to be heard. To express our opinion, with the hope of not being completely ignored.
That's pretty awesome.

PS: Let's flood F-Zero's Community with "We want a new F-Zero" stuff.
I've already played Earthbound, don't really care about it coming for WiiU VC. Cool beans for the EB fans though.
I'm mostly pessimistic about the Direct Announcements. Perhaps I've been on /v/ too much, but LttP2 doesn't have me much hyped. It's just Nintendo banking on nostalgia as always rather than thinking up new ideas. And people will hype up the new Zelda to hell and back.

I'm still holding out for:

>A Puzzle focused Zelda title where you play as Zelda, not Link, and use Magic. More story centric, maybe you can play as Zelda and Impa, or Zelda and Sheik, w/e. Just make Zelda the protag.

>Action/Combat Focused Zelda with Link, that's as tough as the old games, no more hand-holding. Where the combat is fluid like in WW, but with the ability system from TP, and all the weapons carefully thought out for combat. A robust crafting system that is expanded from SS. And a wide open world for you to explore. Like in Zelda 1 and 2, where you are just dropped in the middle and left to figure **** out on your own. Success in this game is determined through wise use of your skills and weapons in combat. Not Derpy Puzzles (The Zelda-centric game can be for that, Magic is better for puzzles anyway).

>An F-Zero Action game by Plat Games.

>A Nazo no Murasame Action Game by Plat Games.

>A decent Waluigi game (Waluigi Nuts and Bolts with DuckHunt Dog anyone?)

>F-Zero GX HD for WiiU

>Smash Melee HD for WiiU

>Majora's Mask 3DS

I dunno, Nintendo has a lot of cool IPs with lots of potential, but we're cursed with nothing but HURR MARIO and HURR ZELDUH. I remember back when a new Mario game was like, HOLY ****. And when a Zelda game was a guaranteed good game. ****ing Spirit Tracks ruined it for me, and Zelda now is "I'll keep and ear out for it, hoping it doesn't suck."

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The latest Did You Know Gaming? video has come up going over good ol' Super Smash Bros. Sure, we all pretty much know everything from the video already (at least I do), but I still believe it's worth viewing:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
haven't been here since page 88... im gonna assume it's been 27 pages of nothing?

Mewtwo Awakened Forme. Looks weaker than Mewtwo.
Sylveon, as much as I want it* to be a Light type, it's clearly flying type considering that egg thing that it was inside of had a little pink what looks to be in the shape of a wing or some kind of anime wing.
That SUPER SECRET title does put me off but that doesn't rule out it's validity.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As the guy who runs the directory thread, besides already knowing all of that, I'm rather surprised they didn't dig into some other things like the Diddy/Dixie tag team, Ike's projectile, Ridley as an AT, Sakurai's action figures, Sukapon, SSE cuts, I think they also got Dedede mixed up with Meta Knight when talking about Melee.

D

Deleted member

Wish they hadn't mantioned Prai_Mai, as it's wrong. Prasuru is not Plusle's Japanese name, it's Purasuru, that small detail makes a HUGE difference.

EDIT:

So uhh, here's a gameplay video of LttP2:

Not liking how this dungeon has the a similar layout and the same gimmick to that one dungeon in LttP. It's literally doing what I didn't want them to, taking the old stuff, and just re-doing it for nostalgia's sake. Also, it doesn't look too challenging.

EDIT EDIT:

IT EVEN HAS THE SAME ****ING BOSS!!! **** this ****, not buying this. LttP2 confirmed for the NSMB of Zelda... Goddammit Nintendo get your **** straight.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
IT EVEN HAS THE SAME ****ING BOSS!!! **** this ****, not buying this. LttP2 confirmed for the NSMB of Zelda... Goddammit Nintendo get your **** straight.
I know. LttP was my first Zelda adventure and first game I played all the way through so i was really hoping for a true well done sequel.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Link's Awakening and Four Swords Adventures also had this boss (plus Puppet Ganon transformed into something very similar in The Wind Waker) so I don't see why you're so mad.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hm...I was hoping for a real new 2D Zelda, not an NSMB style recycling.

Have they showed any levels except this one? It could be that this dungeon is a "nostalgia level" of sorts, and the others are more original.

Edit: I will say the dungeon looks damn cool.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
This was only just one level. The rest of the game might have differences ranging from slight to great in many places.

Still, not lookin' different at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I haven't played LttP, so I guess I will enjoy the new Zelda more than others here. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link to the Past 2 also doesn't excite me much. I mean, look how great they made Ocarina look on 3DS. It's arguably better than the original. I wish they made it half 3D, half 2D. Let's just say, am not impressed much yet. Hoping Zelda Wii U will be the great deal. Yoshi 's Island looks good enough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom