• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
MausTCV (12:05:48 AM): aortsdituameirmn TTT|YYYAARRR!! down B
MausTCV (12:05:51 AM): soooo good.
MausTCV (12:06:10 AM): that ***** is so beast.
MausTCV (12:06:20 AM): RAWR
TheLoveBelow781 (12:06:28 AM): dont do drugs maus
MausTCV (12:07:21 AM): LOL
MausTCV (12:07:57 AM): ok i will quit

----------

I always wanted to meet Tink, it's a shame I'll be in Indy that day.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
Another idea is that we could alternate entry fee levels for every other SSBO. For example, one SSBO would have the $5 entry fee level, the next would have the $10 entry fee level, and the two would simply alternate one after the other. I believe that this achieves as good a balance between the demands of the local community and those of the outside community as we can get while still giving me enough data to go on that would allow me to make a more long-term decision for the entry fee level (honestly, raising entry for just one tournament would not provide adequate feedback for me or us to decide our proper stance on it). Any comments, ideas, or thoughts on that in addition to the entry fee increase in general?
This is what i was talking about.

Believe in Koreano.

MausTCV (12:05:48 AM): aortsdituameirmn TTT|YYYAARRR!! down B
MausTCV (12:05:51 AM): soooo good.
MausTCV (12:06:10 AM): that ***** is so beast.
MausTCV (12:06:20 AM): RAWR
TheLoveBelow781 (12:06:28 AM): dont do drugs maus
MausTCV (12:07:21 AM): LOL
MausTCV (12:07:57 AM): ok i will quit
DUDE!!! YOU FORGOT THE PARTS BEFORE THIS

WHERE ARE MY FAIR AND DAIR THINGS?

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit I would probably john out of singles if there was a $10 entry fee. My interest in being serious about Smash has been slowly waning due to various sources, and I doubt I would be willing to drop twice the amount at a point in time where I've stopped putting effort into the activity.

BunBun

Smash Master
$10 is fine for me. I'll just pick doubles or singles =P

Also, it'd be great to have everyone down here, so I say let's try it.

Also, Goose, I didn't flake =P And we're not f***ing using Etna, we're using that Shogun. Period.
Past that, Sky and I have been playing D2. Taro, as it turns out, is a total bad-***

Mr H

Smash Ace
Another idea is that we could alternate entry fee levels for every other SSBO. For example, one SSBO would have the $5 entry fee level, the next would have the $10 entry fee level, and the two would simply alternate one after the other. I believe that this achieves as good a balance between the demands of the local community and those of the outside community as we can get while still giving me enough data to go on that would allow me to make a more long-term decision for the entry fee level (honestly, raising entry for just one tournament would not provide adequate feedback for me or us to decide our proper stance on it). Any comments, ideas, or thoughts on that in addition to the entry fee increase in general?
i think this is a better alternative
people that are going to be traveling awhile to get to Purdue arnt going to be wanting to travel every other weekend to purdue and this also gives us the right combination between local and regional attendance at the future tourneys
i like this idea alot more than just making every tourney 10 dollars

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Someone better record Tink vs Kirkq if he comes down.

I want to see Kirkq lose 4 stocks under a minute (basing this on how much he johns about Tink's Marth).

BIG C

Smash Master
im not positive on if we are going or not cuz it has been like brought to my attn that more ppl than originally thought are going to MI. so like idk if you guys are gonna wanna john it up to 10

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I am down with 10 dollar entry fee for big turnouts. I think a $5/10 or 5$/5/10 weekly series would be good.

maus: carmel coated popcorns and ling rush gets all the bitches team is pro.

no johnssauces

Zjiin

Smash Master
Alright, so far, the opinions have not been too excessively negative, but I do still need more to go off of than just the previous posts. If you have an interest in attending SSBOs, I would like to see your input here.

While alternating between the two prices seems reasonable, you'll probably alienate OoS'ers from the locals as they pick and choose what to participate in. On the other hand, those looking for more fun and compition would save their $5 and just attend the $10 one for the diversity. In in ideal situation, the $5 tourney would eventually be eliminated, and the hype for the occasional 10 dollar tourney would go up to a "must attend" event.

The late notice for this SSBO might cause a lot of people to drop out if the prices were to "skyrocket" (lol) or some to chose the option of either just singles or just doubles, which would defeat the purpose. It all depends on how well you know your fellow penny-pinchers.

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so far, the opinions have not been too excessively negative, but I do still need more to go off of than just the previous posts. If you have an interest in attending SSBOs, I would like to see your input here.

i thought about it some more and i think that IF raising it did increase attendance and more players like trail and tink then i would be up for it. it is only $5 more its not the end of the world really. but yeah we can see how it goes

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Hmm, I'd participate either way, but I have to say that we will probably get a lower turnout. We were talking about raising the fee before, but that was towards the end of the Summer and the beginning of the school semester when we were only getting like 9-11 people for the tournies. But lately (ya, last tourney was a small letdown), the attandance has seemed to "snowball." And although I cannot speak for many of the new comers, I would put money on the fact that they wouldn't show because of the increase. Yet, not to sound mean, but it would be better to have high quality players attend opposed to the low-calibur ones. So I guess the potential question would be whether we'd prefer to lose two newbies for every good player we pick up. Heh, don't get me wrong, I'm essentially pulling these numbers outta my ***, but I do think this is gonna have to be the tradeoff-at least some form of it. So I dunno. It seems that everyone is leaning towards the "trial period," so I think we can give that a try.

Taro, as it turns out, is a total bad-***
LOL. So you saved Taro!? Dude, spoileres O.o. I wanted to see for mysel if he was gonna survive the Cave of Death or whatever it was.

_kSo_

Smash Master
also, make sure the alleged "high quality players" are confirmed before you shun others for no reason.

Damian you fuckin' voorhese don't john out this weekend.

If we were to bump singles up to $10, would you guys want to bump up the doubles entry fee to $20/team?

Like Andrew said, he is going to pick whether to play doubles or singles if the entry fee increase is implemented. What are your opinions on a pay increase for doubles as well?

mecatomato

Smash Lord
i thought about it some more and i think that IF raising it did increase attendance and more players like trail and tink then i would be up for it. it is only $5 more its not the end of the world really. but yeah we can see how it goes
If you are paying In-State-Tuition, You will NEVER understand Out-State or International Students' feeling about money.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
The problem of alienation of casual players is a big one, since they contribute to a large percentage of the turnout. Most casual players, and tournament players like myself and fellow Purdue people, have no chance in hell of placing money with very large turnouts with high-caliber people. We would simply be donating our $10 to tink or other good players. I can't afford this, or I would have to choose between singles and doubles.

This is fine on an occasional basis; large tournaments are very fun and should happen from time to time. Therefore, I propose we only raise the entry fee to 10$ occasionally, when we have a confirmed large attendance. This coming weekend is fine for a $10 assuming we get a lot of people, but it feels a little last minute to me. The 10$ weekend must be synchronized with OOS attendance and whatnot.

Transportation costs for OOS people is also high, and a regular 10$ tournament would draw on their pockets as well.

If most tournaments stick to $5, we will continue to draw in casuals and build a consistent following, therefore increasing our attendance for the once in a while blowout $10 spectacular, with OOS people.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
The problem of alienation of casual players is a big one, since they contribute to a large percentage of the turnout. Most casual players, and tournament players like myself and fellow Purdue people, have no chance in hell of placing money with very large turnouts with high-caliber people. We would simply be donating our $10 to tink or other good players. I can't afford this, or I would have to choose between singles and doubles.
Yet the first tournament you attended was MLG Chicago... hmm.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
it is simple as this..

if you know you will get the money, you want the pot to be big
if you know you will lose the money, you want the entry fee to be lower.

good players wouldn't mind of $10 entry fee, since they will win the money.
bad players (comparing to top players of the tournament) will not want it...

THEREFORE, i think alternating 5 and 10 dollars would be good idea.

BunBun

Smash Master

This is fine on an occasional basis; large tournaments are very fun and should happen from time to time. Therefore, I propose we only raise the entry fee to 10$ occasionally, when we have a confirmed large attendance. This coming weekend is fine for a $10 assuming we get a lot of people, but it feels a little last minute to me. The 10$ weekend must be synchronized with OOS attendance and whatnot.

Transportation costs for OOS people is also high, and a regular 10$ tournament would draw on their pockets as well.

If most tournaments stick to $5, we will continue to draw in casuals and build a consistent following, therefore increasing our attendance for the once in a while blowout $10 spectacular, with OOS people.
This, basically. I liked the 5/5/10 idea. We do our usual casual thing for two tournaments, and then have a larger one that will draw out of state players. With the 6 week frequency, it should give people enough time to straighten whatever out, and I think most casual players here won't mind the bumped fee.

The 10 fee is pretty steep, so I (and I'd be willing to bet some others) may only participate in singles, so the doubles field will be a few teams smaller, but the singles should still be pretty strong.

Plus, there's always budgeting and maybe skipping a smaller tourney =P

_kSo_

Smash Master
Vote Now!

From what people are saying (most of which is similar to my personal opinion), it seems most of the interest falls upon low entry fee tournaments (ie $5 singles, $10 doubles). These "low entry fee" tournaments will be the regular SSBOs, and once in a while (perhaps every 3rd SSBO; for example, since the upcomming SSBO XXII will be the higher entry fee, the next high entry fee tournament will be SSBO XXV) we will be having higher entry fee tournaments (ie $10 singles, $20 doubles)

So basically, what I am proposing is a $10 singles/$20 doubles entry fee approximately once every 2 months, which I think is viable for most people, even cash-strapped college students (which is our main demographic).

Since neither of the Tournament Organizers can open official smashboards polls, we will have a quasi-poll through posts. Simply state your vote in a post FOR or AGAINST the occasional entry fee increase, and we will discuss implementing it based upon the majority vote.

I think this is quite appropriate, what with it being Presidential Election Day and all.

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
From what people are saying (most of which is similar to my personal opinion), it seems most of the interest falls upon low entry fee tournaments (ie $5 singles, $10 doubles). These "low entry fee" tournaments will be the regular SSBOs, and once in a while (perhaps every 3rd SSBO; for example, since the upcomming SSBO XXII will be the higher entry fee, the next high entry fee tournament will be SSBO XXV) we will be having higher entry fee tournaments (ie $10 singles, $20 doubles)

So basically, what I am proposing is a $10 singles/$20 doubles entry fee approximately once every 2 months, which I think is viable for most people, even cash-strapped college students (which is our main demographic).

Since neither of the Tournament Organizers can open official smashboards polls, we will have a quasi-poll through posts. Simply state your vote in a post FOR or AGAINST the occasional entry fee increase, and we will discuss implementing it based upon the majority vote.

I think this is quite appropriate, what with it being Presidential Election Day and all.
well first off i would like to see how many of these ssbos the more experienced new comers will be attending. if we raise it every fourth tourney or whatever you just said and the people that we are trying to attract through the raising of the fee wont be there then i wouldnt be up for the higher fees

Nuonn

Smash Cadet
This is CNN, I probably won't be playing every SSBO anyway so not sure how much my vote counts :p. But I would vote yes for increasing the fee every 3rd SSBO as well.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
I'll pay $15 to do the Bowser challenge. Overall, you guys do what you want. I just go with the flow. Hopefully I will have money to do these things in the future.

Mr H

Smash Ace
i agree with the idea for every 3rd event to be a 10 dollar event
this is a good combination between being a tourney that's local friendly and a tourney that's regional friendly

goosefactor

Smash Lord
well first off i would like to see how many of these ssbos the more experienced new comers will be attending. if we raise it every fourth tourney or whatever you just said and the people that we are trying to attract through the raising of the fee wont be there then i wouldnt be up for the higher fees
I agree with this. For example, do we even know how many of the experienced players will be attending this weekend if we increase the entry fee? If we are doing it so that a good amount of them would come, but many of them end not showing, then we could be stuck with even less people because of the ones who decided not to show up because of the price increase. That would definitely not be a good thing. Assuming we can get confirmation from a good deal of them for the weekend (preferably at least close to the amount of people we are expecting to lose), then I wouldn't be opposed to increasing the fee this week (although I do feel this is quite short notice for some people who may not check this site everyday yet are still planning on coming since SSBO XXII has been advertised for a few days already).

'Fro

Smash Lord
I would definitely NOT do it this week, though. I agree with every 3rd SSBO, bubt not this week. Too short notice, too much risk.

kirkq

Smash Ace
I would say keep the traditional entry fee at $5.

If you want to have a serious $10 tournament periodically to attract outsiders and bring in competition, that is also a good thing. However, I think that saying "every third SSBO" is a bad generalization and may not produce the desired attendance. You should pick specific dates in advance that travelers would mark on their calendars and plan for.

Casual Entry - Keep with $5 or attendance will suffer.
Serious Tournament scheduled periodically (1-2/semester) far in advance with a high projected attendance - $10 is completely fine.

goosefactor

Smash Lord

If you want to have a serious $10 tournament periodically to attract outsiders and bring in competition, that is also a good thing. However, I think that saying "every third SSBO" is a bad generalization and may not produce the desired attendance. You should pick specific dates in advance that travelers would mark on their calendars and plan for.

Serious Tournament scheduled periodically (1-2/semester) far in advance with a high projected attendance - $10 is completely fine.
I agree with this. If you think we can get a high projected attendance for this weekend, then feel free to up it this time. If not, then don't. Also, the whole "every three weeks" thing is indeed a poor route to take. Having a specific date well in advanced (almost like a mini SCSYN tourney) would be better. Hmm, in retrospect, other than saying that I agree with this post, I'm not really even sure why I'm going into detail since it basically just reiterates what Kirk just said. :/

Shifting gears, I still need to know if there's a place for me to stay during the weekend. :(

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
I'm very much pleased with the response that this has gotten from our community. To cover a few of the mentioned points, I am leaning towards making this week's tournament our usual $5 entry fee just to be safe as I have not heard very much from Tink and co. or the Chicago players and it is pretty obvious that a suddenly-heightened entry fee would not be a welcome surprise to those who do not frequent this thread or the Facebook group. As for the whole "third SSBO" deal, that was our general time frame, or frequency, if you will, for the higher-entry-fee tournament; with this plan comes the need to write out our schedule of events at the very top of the very first post of this thread for the 6-week time span that this covers. After this week's event, the dates for the next three SSBOs will be determined and posted, with the entry fees explicitly stated next to each event; that should give people enough time to see what is going on. As well, if need be, we can simply create a separate thread entirely just for each individual $10 tournament; this seems like it would be more visible to the overall community that does not really check this specific thread too often.

Keep it coming, guys; I appreciate this input.

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman

i agree with kirks idea and would probably work out the best

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Shifting gears, I still need to know if there's a place for me to stay during the weekend. :(
LOL i love how you make such a big deal about it, no ones gonna be like **** GOOSE IS GONNA STAY OVERNIGHT **** WHAT DO I DO...LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

BUTTER THAT BACON BOY!
DAD MY HEART HURTS!
BUTTER THAT BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!

_kSo_

Smash Master

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, and you just worded it better. Anthony further explained it, and I thank him for that.

We will schedule one far in advance so that "travelers would mark on their calenders and plan for"

I'm thinking the weekend right before dead week. That should work out for most people as well as be a great end of the semester tournament.

Thank you everyone for your input so far. And CNN: glad to see you finally made an account, and your vote certainly will be accounted for.

Top Bottom