• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

'Fro

Smash Lord
Jay, I'll let you know if I can play. I have some homework to finish, so depending on my progress I may or may not be able to. Stay posted.

EDIT: You meant today, Jay? No can do. There's too much **** everywhere. Friday should be good, though! (I'll have turned in/done all my homework by then).

goosefactor

Smash Lord
goose(i guess he can be in)
OMFG, if the F'n Voorheese and Craig--both high school chumps, are in, then you better believe I can be in too, lol.

limitz
limitz sister
LOLOLOLOLOL

My bad, I guess that would do it. Hope you don't keep it for too long, or maybe we could just make bronchitis the new cool SSBO thing.
Wait, what the? F'n CNN, I didn't even know this was you. Post more you scrub.

kirkq

Smash Ace
Now, I don't want to seem like a jerk when I say this, but you live in a fantasy world.

Ganons have been doing well vs spacies because Ganon has really ****ing good punishment tools and some spacies players don't like being boring. If spacies play too aggressive, Ganon can punish. If they play safe and boring, Ganon is screwed.
^I'm with Lavos. Falco v. Ganondorf especially, is almost entirely under Falco's control. I don't care what tournament results show, I haven't been seeing the matchup played up to its potential by good Falco players.

'Fro

Smash Lord
I have never met Peef, and since I naturally assume that everyone is ******** out of cynicism. I'm going to agree.

Peef, you're ******** until I actually meet you. Then you may or may not be ********. It could go either way really.
Um....Peef was at the free tourney, and left right before teams grand finals because his mom was sick. You were both in the room.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
So me and Lavos were arguing about Marth and I hate arguing in person because there's no edit button irl. So I'm going to take it here:

Basically, I think Marth is the hardest character out of the top 4 to use.

Sheik being easier to use is self explanatory. Falco and Fox I believe you get great results simply off tech skill.

Many don't realize how hard killing with Marth can be. He has no killing moves on stage outside of a tipper Fsmash. Alot of his combos rarely lead into KOs and Marth combos are extremely % based. They're no where as automatic as Sheik/Fox/Falco, I'm not sure how one can't agree with that.
Anyways, if you die from a tipper fsmash on all 4 stocks, then a) stop playing smash, b) stop using bad characters, or c) learn yoshi story vs Marth. If you die from the Ken Combo every 4 stocks, go back to a).

Sure, his edgeguarding is great, but it's never a 100% kill unless you're against characters such as Falcon and Ganondorf. Even vs Falco, I agree that Falco has a 40% chance of dieing. You have to read for patterns, hope they're bad, or get lucky.

Great examples of Marth struggling to kill is Azen vs Jiano and Mew2King vs Zhu.

I think if Marth was so easy to use, there would be more people willing to main or secondary Marh, rather than Falco/Fox and Sheik.

I'm getting tired of people whining about characters I use when they don't even have the vaguest idea of how to use or play against them.

soap

Smash Hero
So me and Lavos were arguing about Marth and I hate arguing in person because there's no edit button irl. So I'm going to take it here:

Basically, I think Marth is the hardest character out of the top 4 to use.

Sheik being easier to use is self explanatory. Falco and Fox I believe you get great results simply off tech skill.

Many don't realize how hard killing with Marth can be. He has no killing moves on stage outside of a tipper Fsmash. Alot of his combos rarely lead into KOs and Marth combos are extremely % based. They're no where as automatic as Sheik/Fox/Falco, I'm not sure how one can't agree with that.
Anyways, if you die from a tipper fsmash on all 4 stocks, then a) stop playing smash, b) stop using bad characters, or c) learn yoshi story vs Marth. If you die from the Ken Combo every 4 stocks, go back to a).

Sure, his edgeguarding is great, but it's never a 100% kill unless you're against characters such as Falcon and Ganondorf. Even vs Falco, I agree that Falco has a 40% chance of dieing. You have to read for patterns, hope they're bad, or get lucky.

Great examples of Marth struggling to kill is Azen vs Jiano and Mew2King vs Zhu.

I think if Marth was so easy to use, there would be more people willing to main or secondary Marh, rather than Falco/Fox and Sheik.

I'm getting tired of people whining about characters I use when they don't even have the vaguest idea of how to use or play against them.
i agree with it being hard to kill with him due to his lack of KO moves and setups

but his edgeguarding more than makes up for it. He has a great off stage edgeguard and a ridiculously easy onstage edgeguard

and he has an easy time pushing people to the ledge to get those edgeguards. (u need aloooot of patience to be a good marth)

sheik/marth are pretty evenly ranked imo. i secondaried marth for a real long time and i think he definitely has the edge over sheik on the fox matchup. But Sheik can get through lasers easier and does better against floaties cuz of dthrow autokill.

anyway, i don't like anybody whining about any characters. U can john about the whole top tier and then some.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
and he has an easy time pushing people to the ledge to get those edgeguards. (u need aloooot of patience to be a good marth)
Well, only characters below CFalcon/Jigg/Peach on the tier list. Sheik, spacies, and the 3 mentioned can easily be troublesome whores to push off stage. Half of them don't even care much about Marth's great edgeguarding.

But yeah, I don't want to turn this into a "how good is Marth" discussion. Rather, "how easy is it to play Marth at higher levels".

soap

Smash Hero
when i play marth on spacies, aside from grabs, which are kinda hard to get, i try to get a knock down and make sure to cover to the tech in.

then u can trap them with their back to the edge and get them off that way, call their jump or something.

he still has more range, u can wall them in when they have no where to go.

but i agree sheik fox falco are easier to play. they can just run around and kill things. no spacing required.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
I was not whining about Marth. I'm not gonna lie, I'm prone to johning up a storm about Marth's force field, but that was not what happened.

I was mad at the fact that Carl was whining about how hard Marth is to play, as he's three stocking me. Complaining as you're winning by a large margin just makes you come off as a ****.

On the subject of the actual argument about Marth, I'll concede, he's probably the hardest at a higher level, because rather than tech skill, he's all about ridiculous spacing. It takes much more time and effort to get spacing than it does to get tech skill.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Jay, I started complaining about how Marth is hard to play after you constantly mentioned how easy every single thing I did was. It would too awkward for me to whine when I'm whooping *** right off the bat.
Also, I had to keep my "Try Hat" on after you 2 stocked me on stories xD

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
Yo, NutZ. Wut Up? Not a lot's been happenin'. We've more or less been tearin' the Vor'Hese a new one... (I think that's #6) As for the next SSBO, I'll go ahead and team with you. Seeing as how money's on the line I kinda wanna go with team Serious Face, though.
sounds good hippy

voorhese

Smash Master
i think this argument is so pointless, Marth, Fox, Sheik, and Falco are all COMPLETELY different characters, saying one is easier to use then the other is such a dumb thing to do, lets say Marth and Fox: Fox in no way RELIES on Tech Skill, and Tech Skill itself wont win mathces in high level of play. Marth on the other hand, my not have amazing tech skill but i think he makes up for it by having the most ridiculous reach in the game, spacing isnt as hard, but he is more punishable if he messes it up (amount of time you have to punish him)

point being they are completely different, and so are people, therefore certain people have an easier time player one character over another, thats why we MAIN characters. (if marth was the easiest to play for EVERYONE no one would play anyone else, besides maybe counterpicks, but since all the other characters are harder, then the marths would be better anyway?)

thats my oppinion

soap

Smash Hero
i think this argument is so pointless, Marth, Fox, Sheik, and Falco are all COMPLETELY different characters, saying one is easier to use then the other is such a dumb thing to do, lets say Marth and Fox: Fox in no way RELIES on Tech Skill, and Tech Skill itself wont win mathces in high level of play. Marth on the other hand, my not have amazing tech skill but i think he makes up for it by having the most ridiculous reach in the game, spacing isnt as hard, but he is more punishable if he messes it up

point being they are completely different, and so are people, therefore certain people have an easier time player one character over another, thats why we MAIN characters

thats my oppinion
i think fox does RELY on basic tech skill more so than other characters

and ya somethings can be easier or harder based on style. people are just voicing their educated opinions.

my opinion is its harder to space stuff with marth on foxes that are constantly running away or running into your range than it is for fox to just run around lasering then rambo through **** with his lagless offense

all my opinion.

voorhese

Smash Master
i think fox does RELY on basic tech skill more so than other characters

and ya somethings can be easier or harder based on style. people are just voicing their educated opinions.

my opinion is its harder to space stuff with marth on foxes that are constantly running away or running into your range than it is for fox to just run around lasering then rambo through **** with his lagless offense

all my opinion.
idk if you notice im pretty decent when it comes to tech skill, and i lose a lot in tourneys, but i would do A LOT better if i learned how to approach and defend and all that stuff

as for marth, i have an easier time approaching with him (not at high level, i really havent used him except to play fro at free tourney once), i approach completely different obviously with marth over fox, which brings it back to there is not point to compare who is harder in general, i think its all the players preference

soap

Smash Hero
idk if you notice im pretty decent when it comes to tech skill, and i lose a lot in tourneys, but i would do A LOT better if i learned how to approach and defend and all that stuff

as for marth, i have an easier time approaching with him (not at high level, i really havent used him except to play fro at free tourney once), i approach completely different obviously with marth over fox, which brings it back to there is not point to compare who is harder in general, i think its all the players preference
ya it could be different for u

i think m2k does alot better with range and smart spacing than he ever did with fox

u gotta try them both out in tourney a couple times before u can formulate an opinion.

that actually makes me realize i have very little fox tourney experience, but i was pretty comfortable the few times i pulled him out. I have done like 3 fox dittos on pokefloats in tournies lol.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mew2king stopped playing Fox since he lost his controller, which was apparently amazing for Fox tech.

Hmmm, Fox tech. *glares at Voorhese*

But yeah, makes sense that he'll eventually get much smarter with Marth after playing much much less Fox in tourney.

voorhese

Smash Master
Mew2king stopped playing Fox since he lost his controller, which was apparently amazing for Fox tech.

Hmmm, Fox tech. *glares at Voorhese*

But yeah, makes sense that he'll eventually get much smarter with Marth after playing much much less Fox in tourney.
are you saying this proves that tech skill is all fox is, or about how you didnt know i had tech until recently?

edit: m2k claws for shdl , i tap x and then b twice....get ***** jk

'Fro

Smash Lord
*shakes head at terrible voorhese retorts*

IMO, Fox, while rewarding for basic tech skill at LOW levels, gets very punishable later on if that's all he has. He's a featherweight, and his recovery, in agreement with CKit himself, can be quite punishable. Falco is a more extreme case of this, thanks to his worse recovery and higher reliance on not losing control of the match. Come to think of it, Fox and Falco both actually have amazing, high-speed attacks that are overlooked in the wake of the tech-skill mentality. I lost count of the number of times I've seen lists of what's good about Fox, and not seeing the U-smash until I dig through said list. Point: their tech isn't all they have. I know that's not what people said, so don't feel accused.

That being said, Marth does require a good degree of hard work to use that is mostly not tech-based. Prediction, learning to follow the opponent's DI, spacing, etc. are more of what Marth feeds off of, but he reaps great rewards once that's done properly. M2K against Shiz at RoM was a great example of that. A couple of spacing errors on Shiz's part and M2K just ripped him a new one.

Verdict: Agreed with Carl on difficulty of being good with Marth, but still don't think he's tougher to use than Fox at the highest levels. Just my $0.02.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Wait, where are the results that show IGGY + PEEF giving everyone the business in doubles?

Wait, where are the results that show IGGY giving everyone the business in doubles?

It was your Fox tech skill alone that helped you in teams with Goose.
Carl and his teams johns.

m2k hasnt been playing competative smash since august of 08'
kels has been playing like 2.5 years and hes incredibly good.

Top Bottom