• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario - Super Unpopular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
I live on P.E.I. Never heard of it? It's in Canada
Anyone else notice that NO ONE plays Mario anymore?
I dare 12 people to post here saying they _main_ Mario!

It won't happen!

No one seems to like the super princess saving, giant spiked dinosaur slaying, fire conjuring Italian anymore. Hell, Bowser has more supporters.

My brothers, we must recruit! Post as much Mariownage on YouTube as you can! Let's get these forums active!

Eggz, Mike and Monk aren't enough to keep us going! We're one of the only characters without an official video thread (which I wish I could help with).

We must teach people the graceful ferocity that is Mario.
But first, we must teach our own brothers to have faith in Mario.

I understand people aren't content with F.L.U.D.D. Let me resolve this issue right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coi8fz5-LGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uill9wgXQ4

Use it, don't use it, it doesn't matter. But flaming it is out of the question. A Mario divided cannot stand. I encourage you not to voice any negative opinions (that is to say, dismissing the move to be entirely bad), as any potential Mario looking in won't want to see such things.

Mario has excellent priority, balanced speed and weight, decent damage and reliable moves. He's got a lot of high-tier tech and can challenge any space animal he wants, easily.

You must understand! Mario is worth the effort!

I suggest we either get an official Mario video thread going or a thread similar to Jeepy Sol's Assembly of Unfamiliar Information (see http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158165). If we decide on the latter, we can just assemble all Mario unique techs (or even general character techs that apply to him), we don't even have to do his character stats. Please, we must get the Mario community out of the ditches! Help save our Mario bro.!

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I've mained Mario since Smash64. He's the most balanced character, IMO, and while used by a good player, has no weaknesses.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The sad truth. I can't fathom how people don't adore Mr. Nintendo.

He conjures fire for jebus sakes.
Dude, I know the feeling.

I wrote this up in preparation for a game guide I'm making for Mario. If you think I'm missing something, tell me.

He’s a plumber that shoots freaking fireballs from his hands! Can you shoot fireballs from your hands? I think not. That’s besides the point though. This guy has been in over 200 freaking video games. Nobody else can lay a claim to that, not even Sonic! Seriously, what would Nintendo be without Mario when he has had so many amazing games in pretty much every genre? Mario has been through everything in his games, from Kart racing, to being a doctor, solving puzzles, slaying dragons, heck he’s even a ladies' man! Can *insert any other character here* lay claim to all of these things? Yeah, get the idea now? Mario is the best video game character ever. Adding to his awesomeness, he’s voiced by Charles Martinet! What’s not to love?

Tage Erlander

Smash Rookie
The sad truth. I can't fathom how people don't adore Mr. Nintendo.

He conjures fire for jebus sakes.
His baby brother conjures green fire...

Apart from that, I'm gonna main Mario, I love his flow and his aerials. I'm from the country of Europe, so I haven't got the game yet (which technically means I got no credibility at all), but from what I've seen, Mario's the poo.

Side note: Of course, I'm not only maining Mario, got my eyes on that Olimar as well. And some other bits and pieces. Still, Mario rocks.

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's a small following, but I guess we'll take what we can get. I know there are Marios out there who haven't responded here yet.

If anyone wants to help me with the video thread/information thread that'd be great. But I guess I could do it on my own if I have to.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Mario will be one of my mains in Brawl and I´m going to make a F.L.U.D.D. quide (if everything works as planned) when SSBB is out in Europe (27.6... just two months) so... yeah. I´ll also make some vids if I get some decent recording done, but that isn´t guaranteed. I´m also surprised why Mario is so unpopular... maybe it´s because his bad range or the fact that he´s "average" in everything? But anyways, Mario forums are just too dead novadays. Hopefully that´ll change as time passes...

boss8

Smash Hero
GTFO....he's only unpopular cause people forshadow his abilitys.......

i just took third at a turney using mario......but fludd is a ridiculous gimp....followed by cape...

he's not dead he actually got alot better!!! and don't worry u still have......

Eggz

Greenmario

and Boss....

those are basically the best marios in the U.S right now!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never really used the Mario Tornado in Melee anyway. He is one of my mains still, and can hold his own even without F.L.U.D.D..

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
:chuckle:
I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO I MAIN MARIO weither u lik or not!! :) Mario will become very known as we continue to play as him. Online kinda helps. I got online oponents scared to even get near the ledge because of cape and Fludd. Thats good reputation right there!

He’s a plumber that shoots freaking fireballs from his hands! Can you shoot fireballs from your hands? I think not. That’s besides the point though. This guy has been in over 200 freaking video games. Nobody else can lay a claim to that, not even Sonic! Seriously, what would Nintendo be without Mario when he has had so many amazing games in pretty much every genre? Mario has been through everything in his games, from Kart racing, to being a doctor, solving puzzles, slaying dragons, heck he’s even a ladies' man! Can *insert any other character here* lay claim to all of these things? Yeah, get the idea now? Mario is the best video game character ever. Adding to his awesomeness, he’s voiced by Charles Martinet! What’s not to love?

Nice ;)

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Ikes my first, Warios my second, Marios my third. *Points at sig.*

Even so, the way he plays feels great. The only problem I can see is he has few kill moves, but thats definitely compensated by being a total gimp machine.

Doesn't surprise me, Mario, like Monk said, never seemed too popular. I don't think thats going to change with Brawl.

Don't be upset by this though, have pride! The only way you would convince somebody to pick up a character, is by showing your skill with that character anyway.

Go out there and kick some ***, Marios more than capable of it.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I played Mario quite extensively in the past two games, but i'm going to skip him over in Brawl.

My nerd is going to show a little bit here, so those with a weak stomach should look away...

===

Just look at him! They continue to make the Mario Bros heads even larger than their torsos. They're suppose to be cartoony, but how ridiculous looking are they suppose to be? They've managed to make Mario's cheeks fatter, and on the victory screen he has his mouth gaping open from time to time like the infant-designed character he's turning out to be. In addition to the several semi-line crossing "yahoo"s we hear, now we have to put up with "yo-hoo" half the time. Ugh.

The FLUDD? For a character who used to smite monsters with Effin' FIRE, hosing them with water has to be one of the most stupid advances to the Mario Bros franchise, toppled only by Bowser summoning flying saucers.

===

Game play wise, Mario just felt like he doesn't have as much range... somehow. Approaching felt a bit harder, but I didn't really sit down to experiment since his cosmetic features were just too unappealing for my personal tastes.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion

i just took third at a turney using mario......but fludd is a ridiculous gimp....followed by cape...

Eggz

Greenmario

Monk

and Boss....

Cough cough....

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Mario is one my mains. It sucks that he's so unpopular, but I found that I had a hard time against people that used chars with long range (Ike, Gdorf etc) and attacked only when they stopped shielding my FBs and Bair approaches. I felt helpless, as I couldn't punish anything. What i'm trying to say is difficult situations/playstyles make playing Mario look like too much work.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
yeaa!im not gonna main mario i like superfast charcters like marth and sonic but ive always been diaspointed with the lack of mario players in the world so i bestow my hope in you select few, good luck to you and all the best.dont lose faith in the chubby italian

Tage Erlander

Smash Rookie
yeaa!im not gonna main mario i like superfast charcters like marth and sonic but ive always been diaspointed with the lack of mario players in the world so i bestow my hope in you select few, good luck to you and all the best.dont lose faith in the chubby italian
Thank you, Lucariomainer from Kilkeel.

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
The responses I've received are both worrying and encouraging.

Seriously though, you're worrying about the cosmetic features of a video game character?
*ganders at Kirby, Dedede, and Snake*
...Right.

I guess I'll get started all on my lonesome on those important Mario boosting threads which are important. Did I mention important?

You can PM me with any help you think you can offer. (links to tech threads, links to videos, etc.)

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario is one my mains. It sucks that he's so unpopular, but I found that I had a hard time against people that used chars with long range (Ike, Gdorf etc) and attacked only when they stopped shielding my FBs and Bair approaches. I felt helpless, as I couldn't punish anything. What i'm trying to say is difficult situations/playstyles make playing Mario look like too much work.
You need to focus on a good ground game just as much as your aerials and make sure you don't get sloppy with your spacing when rushing an opponent. Try fox-trotting instead of always running and play carefully; approach with fireballs and only follow up with attacks if they get hit (I usually follow up with either a Dair or a Dsmash). Also, use F.L.U.D.D. for spacing, even if you think all you're doing is stalling an attack or pushing them a bit, it will help (I use it to divert attacks and position my opponents; I use the F.L.U.D.D. almost as much as my fireballs and it saves me a lot). F.L.U.D.D. is very good because it can't really be blocked or reflected (To my knowledge only Mario's cape can reflect the F.L.U.D.D., other reflectors simply negate the pushback momentarily).

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Mario is a by far, an extremly good character, but the thing is, not alot of people enjoy a ballanced character. They want more strength, or speed or w/e.

KonoK

Smash Cadet
I think people just want to experiment more. People might want to try something new instead of playing Mario. I remember back in the N64 days, where I played Mario(I was like 6 or something). As soon as I unlocked Ness, I wanted to play him instead, just cause I didn't know who he was.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Eggz

Greenmario

and Boss....

This man speaks the ****ing truth. Bow to him.

And I saw some of your vids. TOO GOOD. I really like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg3QQxvCuF8

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Thanks mr ?, I'll try to use a little more FLUDD, plus my ground game has been nonexistant so I'll try to find some ways to make that work too.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I think people just want to experiment more. People might want to try something new instead of playing Mario. I remember back in the N64 days, where I played Mario(I was like 6 or something). As soon as I unlocked Ness, I wanted to play him instead, just cause I didn't know who he was.
This might be true, I remember that I also took a pause from familiar characters in Melee to experiment with new and exciting ones, but I also returned back to my old favorites after some time. Maybe we will see some more Mario players later? (not that it really matters to me after maining mostly bottom tier chars in Melee).

I guess I'll get started all on my lonesome on those important Mario boosting threads which are important. Did I mention important?

You can PM me with any help you think you can offer. (links to tech threads, links to videos, etc.)
I´m willing to offer my help with those important threats, but sadly I´m missing Brawl two more months, so my possibilities to work on them are very limited. But if I can be of assistance just give me a holler, okay?

iMichael

Smash Lord
Oh so this is why ppl don't really come here anymore...

Mario Mains:
Eggz
Help
Monk
Envy
WWJasonD

Heyguy

Smash Rookie
I main mario all day but i got along great without the flood, of course i used the cape but now i will take into account all this ledge guarding techniques. MARIO FO LIFE

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I main mario, and actually, I don't really mind that he's not that popular. People undermind him so much and they think he's too normal, when in reality marios one of the most versatile characters in brawl. When I get victories with mario, the fact that people underestimate him makes the victory feel a whole lot better than it would have been if people thought mario was the god of the tier like fox. It just shows how great of smash player a person can be using Mario, skill wise and all...

Its okay that mario isn't popular in brawl due to the fact that he's not that flashy or extremely powerful. At least he's one of the most famous character icons on the face of the Earth, kinda makes up for him not being an overly used character in the smash community..

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
I main mario, and actually, I don't really mind that he's not that popular. People undermind him so much and they think he's too normal, when in reality marios one of the most versatile characters in brawl. When I get victories with mario, the fact that people underestimate him makes the victory feel a whole lot better than it would have been if people thought mario was the god of the tier like fox. It just shows how great of smash player a person can be using Mario, skill wise and all...

Its okay that mario isn't popular in brawl due to the fact that he's not that flashy or extremely powerful. At least he's one of the most famous character icons on the face of the Earth, kinda makes up for him not being an overly used character in the smash community..
Very true!

Awesomeasusual, do you know who it is playing that Mario? And for that matter, that Bowser?
It didn't look like Gimpyfish, and I haven't seen that Mario playstyle yet.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Everyone loves Mario. He's just always been such a vanilla character in Smash, and personally, I think they really screwed him up in everyone's favorite Nintendo fighter series by making him a serious goofball, a personified oxymoron. I know he's like that sometimes in his games as well, but something about him just swings me the wrong way in Smash, especially Brawl. I liked him a lot better in Melee, honestly.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
i like mario, wouldnt play him competitively YET.
i still need to practice him more, hes not my main by far....
but ****, i sure do miss his ssb64 self

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
Everyone loves Mario. He's just always been such a vanilla character in Smash, and personally, I think they really screwed him up in everyone's favorite Nintendo fighter series by making him a serious goofball, a personified oxymoron. I know he's like that sometimes in his games as well, but something about him just swings me the wrong way in Smash, especially Brawl. I liked him a lot better in Melee, honestly.
Vanilla?... What's Mario's race got to do with anything?
I don't think they screwed him up. Every time I play Brawl I imagine Mario from SMSunshine (possibly using performance enhancing drugs). I think they captured Mario perfectly. Yet...

i like mario, wouldnt play him competitively YET.
i still need to practice him more, hes not my main by far....
but ****, i sure do miss his ssb64 self

I miss SSB64 Mario a lot, too. He's changed a lot. There was something charming about polygonal Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom