• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario RPG

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this game has been dying in the past few years, but it is slowly trying to build itself up again. We have heard of Super Mario RPG coming to Virtual console in Europe, Australia and Japan, and we might just see an American ESRB confirmation soon.

Title: Super Mario RPG: The Legend Of The Seven Stars
Box Art: SMRPG Box Art
Genre: RPG
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Platform: SNES, Virtual Console
Developer: Square (Now Square Enix)
Publisher: Nintendo
MSRP:
SNES: ???
Virtual Console: 900 Wii Points

- What Is Super Mario RPG? -

Super Mario RPG was the first Mario RPG published by Nintendo. It was made along with the help of Square (now Square Enix), who have also continued in making the famous Final Fantasy series. It is by far one of the best games for the SNES Console (also being the last), and will remain that for a long, long time.

Taken from Wikipedia:
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, released as simply Super Mario RPG (スーパーマリオRPG, Sūpā Mario Ārupījī?) in Japan, is a hybrid adventure/console role-playing game, developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) and Nintendo. Nintendo first released the game on March 9, 1996 in Japan and on May 13, 1996 in North America. Neither Nintendo nor Square ever released a PAL version.
- STORYLINE -

The storyline in Super Mario RPG is very, very different than what most people might believe. It is actually one of the most addictive and exiting storylines for any Mario game yet.

It begins with a quick cutscene: Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser and Mario running off to go and save the princess. Nothing too unfamiliar, right? Then, there is a short battle with Bowser and after defeating him, you go to the Princess, who respectfully thanks you for saving her. Suddenly, though, a huge tremor shakes the castle and a giant sword called Exor smashes into the castle, sending Mario, Bowser and Peach flying in different directions.

You fall into your house, luckily enough, and are greeted by Toad, who tells you that you must go back to the castle to go and save Peach. This time, though, you are halted by Exor, who then destroys the bridge leading into Bowser's castle.

The storyline revolves around this strange occurence and you will be brought here and there to figure out what happened. The concept is unique and interesting, and we can definately see how much effort Square put in this game.

- GAMEPLAY -

The gameplay is very unique for a SNES game. The movement is set in three dimensions, which was rare at the time. Movement will be very easy and you will find yourselves enjoying just jumping around. This movement also enebles fun minigames which can be encountered throughout the game.

The real bomb is the combat system. It is so unique and interesting, especially for a Mario game! The main options are Attack, Specials, Items and Fleeing (sorry for not remembering their correct in-game names). An interesting addition are timed hits, which are basically extra damage or extra defense. If you hit the (A?) button at the correct moment, you will be rewarded by inflicting extra damage, or getting extra defense against an enemy attack. These will make your fighting experience more enjoyable, and you will find yourself leveling up faster.

There is also armor in the game, along with weapons and other accessories. These boost your character's statistics by a specific amount, which can help you in battle. This was a very interesting and rare addition to RPGs in those days, and it was the first Mario game that had these. You could say the power ups such as the fire flower and other things could count, but it doesn't seem the same and you can't really equip them like in Super Mario RPG.

A fantastic feature is the inclusion of extra team mates. These team mates have their own special abilities, which are unique and fun. I will not spoil them, though you might already know who they are.

- GRAPHICS/STRUCTURE -

Super Mario RPG had by far the most spectacular 3D graphics for a Nintendo game at the time. The only thing that could match up to them were the Donkey Kong graphics. Super Mario RPG is the best looking game for the SNES, both in sprites and 3D environment, but some of the sprites did have some strange design (for example, Mario's southwest and southeast sprite's eyes make Mario look like an insane murderer, but it is barely noticable when moving, so it is not a big deal).

The animations are smooth and even the enemies look interesting dealing their attacks, though the animation for special attacks is usually the same. Even the enemies are able to move in the 3D environment, and will respond with an attempt to engage you in battle if you get too close. The 3D interaction is just great, and with dozens of areas to visit, you will never get tired of exploring!

- MUSIC -

You will absolutely never get tired of the music in this game. Ever. I believe I have said enough, but I will say more! The music in this game is catchy and fun to listen to. The compositions are by Yoko Shimomura, whose style has brought out the best in this videogame's music. There are 61 songs in the game, though there are actually 73 tracks. Three of these songs are "3rd Party" from the Final Fantasy universe. A song in particular captured the hearts of many, and has been quoted as one of the catchiest Nintendo tunes ever - Beware The Forest's Mushrooms.

The only downside is that the battle music is a bit repetitive, and a little too cheerful and happy. The boss fight songs are great to listen to, though, and really get the adrenaline pumping.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Games overrated. Ok RPG, nothin too spectacular. I just think it gets hyped up immensely because it was the joint product between Square and Nintendo. There are definitely better RPGs out there and better Mario games as well, but this makes a nice rental or a VC purchase. It has its moments.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I like the Mario RPG series. A good storyline that involves Mario, and combat better than just whacking the A button all day. I have a LOT of fun with games like these...

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Amazing game. Interesting fact, I just learned recently that the level cap (ie, this game's equivalent of level 99/100) is 30. I always knew there was something odd about beating the game with an average party level of 27, but I never really thought about it. O.o

Its The Jinks

Smash Cadet
One of the best classics, its so old yet it is still enjoyable , it is a game you can not get tired of. hmmi wonder if nintendo is making a wii rpg game for mario again?

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
This game is a rarity if you have it hang onto it. It goes for around 50 bucks I think. I don't want to play my copy anymore. I want to preserve it! this game is so awesome

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Found this piece of Japanese text on Super Mario RPG for Virtual Console, so I decided to go on Babelfish and translate it. This is what I got:

--------------------
'Sou perm Rio RPG' on 1996 March 9th was sold with the super Family Computer. It was known, as the hero of the action game to that “[mario]” was designated as the protagonist, it is new RPG. It is the title that in [marioshirizu] it is unique, but being able to inflate the world of [mario] largely, it set forth also the enjoyment only of RPG, it became starting point of the RPG series of [mario] which even after that continues. Always, if you mention the villain who obstructs before [mario] “[kutsupa]” is, but latest [mario] takes over the [kutsupa] castle and means to fight with the enemy of the puzzle which torments the people. As expected their aims being what? And, as for those which strange item “star piece” means ......? Centering on John town and Don in the world while, please enjoy the magnificent story. In the middle of venturing, also the heart strong companions appear. Cooperating with them, it will keep defeating the stiff enemy. How this time, in fighting together that [kutsupa] and [pichi] princess of the heroine as a companion ......? There is “[dokan]” in field of venture, from the treasure box like block, “the mushroom” and “the flower” spring out, ......RPG, you cannot miss with [marioshirizu] in this game, same straw raincoat setting up and the item appear many. With field becoming the key, proud action of [mario], “jump”! Using well, it will keep advancing venture. With battle with the enemy, pushing which of four buttons, it keeps deciding the conduct of the character. Being simple, because it is the system which is easy to know, RPG [nigate] can enjoy to the can tongue even with the person. When it is accustomed to battle, it will try challenging to also “action command”. E.g., timing you push the button well, repeatedly hit many, if it succeeds the operation of being decided well, attack and the [wa] [za] can be raised power.
--------------------

Lol at "How this time, in fighting together that [kutsupa] and [pichi] princess of the heroine as a companion ......?"

I'm pretty sure "Kutsupa" is Bowser and "Pichi" is Peach.

Dastardly Dylan

Smash Cadet
I used to own this game, but I sold it because I am an idiot. Anyways, this is one of my favorite games of all time and I wish I didn't sell it! I totally regret it! :embarrass

DeepT.

Smash Rookie
mario rpg was a really good game and i was kind of suprised at how it played...
i got about half way threw it before i got stuck at one part right after bowser joined your party and you had to go up this tall tower..

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I just had a dream that SMRPG came out for VC finally and I called Shy Guy like "YESSSSSSS SMRPG FOR VC *hangs up*"

Man, I miss this game. :"{

Zema

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to hear from other people. Sorry if this is kind of bringing up a dead thread, but, well...

Cmon, It's not just ANY game! This is Super Mario RPG!

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I dont see what the big hype over it is,its a medicore game,but the battle system is enjoyable.:ohwell:

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I think I beated that game over 40 times now...Sadly I always forget to take my recorded time when I finish it..Yeah, I love doing speed runs in snes games >.<

Very good rpg,good music, addictive gameplay.

Spoiler !!!
Geno is awesome!!

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I think I beated that game over 40 times now...Sadly I always forget to take my recorded time when I finish it..Yeah, I love doing speed runs in snes games >.<

Very good rpg,good music, addictive gameplay.

Spoiler !!!
Geno is awesome!!
Oh yeah,thats the one thing I cant stand about the game,is teh **** music >_<

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
I love this game with the burning passion of a thousand suns! Its easily my favorite Mario game. I guess you can say I'm a little biased because I love RPG's, but seriously this game was pretty freakin deep for its time. It had a pretty decent story, and one of the best characters ever in Geno. He was such a BA. I wish they would make a sequel, but I know there never will be because Square doesn't really work with Nintendo all that much let alone to bring back a game thats 12 years old. Still, for its time, definitely one of the best games of all time. I put it behind Ocarina of Time, but the game play was solid, and it lasted quite a bit if you weren't trying to rush it. There was just a lot of stuff to do and easy to get caught up in. My only gripe though is that even though it can last a while, its still short in comparison to what it could be. but thats only because it was on the SNES. If it was put out on the N64 or something with more space I think it would've been longer. It only went to like level 30...so that gives you an idea of how long it lasts. but yep, still own myself a copy and play it from time to time. I want more REAL mario RPGs like this...not that Paper Mario stuff...even though I enjoy Paper Mario its nothing in comparison to this game.

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
mario rpg was a really good game and i was kind of suprised at how it played...
i got about half way threw it before i got stuck at one part right after bowser joined your party and you had to go up this tall tower..
Booster's Tower,man I haven't played this awesome game in ages & I still remember stuff from it:chuckle:.Since it's a VC game now in japan,it has to make it around the rest of the world's Wii now.

leechaolan

Smash Lord
Booster's Tower,man I haven't played this awesome game in ages & I still remember stuff from it:chuckle:.Since it's a VC game now in japan,it has to make it around the rest of the world's Wii now.
Yay! When's it coming to America anyway? I remember loving this game too. The Paper Marios were great, but come on this is Super Mario RPG!

Yay for Chrono Trigger too. :D

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I never played this game, but everyone seems to think it's legendary, and that Geno's one of the best characters ever. I hope it comes to VC soon.

Oh yeah, Darkwashu, your sig is awesome. Long live Gurren Lagann!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I played a small bit of it, it's really fun! A great start to what would become the beginning of Mario RPGs.

They released the game for the Wii's Virtual Console in Japan, so odds are, they'll release it everywhere else soon enough.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
GENO FTW!!!!

Please don't call me wasting my post with spam, I realize how great SMRPG is, I've beaten it twice. But yeah, awesome!

Top Bottom