• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Maker

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I just got this game about a week ago. So far it's been a ton of fun. My only complaint is that 70% of the community seems think that difficulty is either:

A: Immediately killing you as soon as the level starts.
B: Putting as many enemies on screen as possible
C: Forcing you to do impossible or near-impossible bull**** while they put a hidden block at the start of the level that lets you skip half the course
or D: all of the above

But that's not really the game's fault. Aside from that, I've played a ton of levels that I've really liked and I've made a few that I'm proud of. Still haven't unlocked checkpoints, but I've already been thinking of possibilities for when I do.
I know what you're saying, but I'd hate to think it's the majority of the community. I do believe a lot of players strive to make fun and interesting levels, unfortunately the Kaizo levels are what everyone talks about. If you search here, GameFAQs and Twitch, you'll find some hidden gems. I don't even try the 100 Mario Challenge anymore. On Easy and Normal, it's just auto-scrollers and music courses. On Expert, it's just death traps and troll levels. You might also want to check sites like Mario Made.

Trust me, I've seen some amazing levels. I wish they'd get more attention, but people like the insane courses. I think it'll start to come back around and the cool concepts and overall enjoyable levels will become more popular eventually.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just got this game about a week ago. So far it's been a ton of fun. My only complaint is that 70% of the community seems think that difficulty is either:

A: Immediately killing you as soon as the level starts.
B: Putting as many enemies on screen as possible
C: Forcing you to do impossible or near-impossible bull**** while they put a hidden block at the start of the level that lets you skip half the course
or D: all of the above

But that's not really the game's fault. Aside from that, I've played a ton of levels that I've really liked and I've made a few that I'm proud of. Still haven't unlocked checkpoints, but I've already been thinking of possibilities for when I do.
You don't unlock them, they are an alt for the arrow, you shake the arrows to get them.
Be advised, however, that you can only have one checkpoint flag in the main area, and one checkpoint flag in the sub-area.

Dan

Smash Lord
The thing that really bothers me about this game is the block limit, for perfectionists who want to make their levels the way Nintendo does.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The thing that really bothers me about this game is the block limit, for perfectionists who want to make their levels the way Nintendo does.
Yeah the main problem is that you're limited to only 2000 blocks, and this "does" include coins, spike traps, and even tracks, which further limits how well you can design your courses.

Even the 100 enemy limit includes ALL action objects, but at least the objects that are inside blocks won't count.

Dan

Smash Lord
Why would they do this? Designing a Mario 3 castle is a nightmare. The only way to make it semi-bearable is by filling in the blanks with the crate-looking scenery object, but then it just look like patchwork.

It's totally a James Rolfe "What were they thinking?!" type thing.

I can't lie, they have done so many stupid things with this game, which they went out of their way to make an issue of. This and the time limit are the two biggest ones. I mean, even with the checkpoints, they at least had to design those, but this, does this take any effort to fix? It is so frustrating and so stupid. "Yeah, let's limit their blocks just cause we can derp".

Someone on reddit said it best:

The limit's pretty bad. It's functional enough, but if you want to create walls that are wide and tall enough so that the player can't see blank space beyond (like, you know, a Mario game), you're going to have to get creative.
It's sad when Mario Builder has more features than this game.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yeah, the limit block is really a pain in the ass. I always make long level and i usually make wall alot since i don't want the player to see what is on the next side. But because of that, well you just sacrifice block that would be needed after. That's why the only thing i finded for "resolve" that problem is to put alot of cosmetic area. Where you don't place block but just other thing for fill what is in here. That help me alot on some of my level.

But still, plz Nintendo. Remove that limit, it's horrible for all good creator.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm still hoping Nintendo gives us the ability to watch replays of other people playing your level. It would be a great feedback tool to show you exactly what's too hard or too easy and can pick up on any exploits players found.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still hoping Nintendo gives us the ability to watch replays of other people playing your level. It would be a great feedback tool to show you exactly what's too hard or too easy and can pick up on any exploits players found.
Yeah, i want to see how people struggle on my level or how they die in place where it's normally impossible to die! (Seriously, that one guy that have do the exploit to die to the single goomba that was at the begin on one of my level. I need to know how he did this exploit.)

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I'd just like a YouTube replay feature to be added. Let's say I play and complete a really difficult level online, it'd sure be nice to upload it so others can see how I did it. They added that feature to Smash and Mario Kart, I see no reason why Mario Maker couldn't have it.

And yes, I'd love to be able to watch people attempt my courses so I can get instant feedback. I typically submit them to Twitch streamers, but that can get tedious after a while.

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, the limit block is really a pain in the ***. I always make long level and i usually make wall alot since i don't want the player to see what is on the next side. But because of that, well you just sacrifice block that would be needed after. That's why the only thing i finded for "resolve" that problem is to put alot of cosmetic area. Where you don't place block but just other thing for fill what is in here. That help me alot on some of my level.

But still, plz Nintendo. Remove that limit, it's horrible for all good creator.
Someone on YouTube mentioned that they wouldn't even want to play a level that exceeded the 2,000 block limit, which is incredibly stupid because it makes no sense at all, but also because that pretty much includes every Mario level ever.

I mean, I don't want to be an A-hole because overall they did a very good job with this game, but come on; was anyone asking for stackable enemies? How about the ability to do 2-player online? Filters for courses: puzzles, don't move, etc. Instead they give some app where you can look at levels when you're not home. What?! I mean, the ability to upload a complete game wouldn't even be that hard (title screen, world map, etc.). I just don't know if the server could handle that. How about multiple music selection? These are things that even fan-made games have.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Someone on YouTube mentioned that they wouldn't even want to play a level that exceeded the 2,000 block limit, which is incredibly stupid because it makes no sense at all, but also because that pretty much includes every Mario level ever.

I mean, I don't want to be an A-hole because overall they did a very good job with this game, but come on; was anyone asking for stackable enemies? How about the ability to do 2-player online? Filters for courses: puzzles, don't move, etc. Instead they give some app where you can look at levels when you're not home. What?! I mean, the ability to upload a complete game wouldn't even be that hard (title screen, world map, etc.). I just don't know if the server could handle that. How about multiple music selection? These are things that even fan-made games have.
Well for me, except something here and there like the block limit as mentionned earlier and other thing like more ennemy,power-up, theme and a better way to get costume. (And fix Pirhana Plant that come from pipe. Seriously, those damn pipes with those plant are cancer for me and alot of people.) I really don't have other thing i need. Sure, the thing you mentionned will make probably the game alot better. But i am enough happy with what we get.

Dan

Smash Lord
Well for me, except something here and there like the block limit as mentionned earlier and other thing like more ennemy,power-up, theme and a better way to get costume. (And fix Pirhana Plant that come from pipe. Seriously, those damn pipes with those plant are cancer for me and alot of people.) I really don't have other thing i need. Sure, the thing you mentionned will make probably the game alot better. But i am enough happy with what we get.
I agree. All we need are the necessities.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I agree. All we need are the necessities.
Frankly, i thikn and hope that Nintendo will do regular update like Splatoon. they have already that with the Checkpoint. Which was great! It fixed three problem i have get. (Checkpoint, the animation on the 100 Mario Challenge and the Tiered Power-up.) So really, if all update can be like that, then it will be really great for all! (They even say that they put checkpoint because of people wanted. So they listen atleast.)

Dan

Smash Lord
There was a really exciting level I saw in a Dashie video: https://youtu.be/EIvSIsRUbx4?t=12m34s

It reminded of those old SNES games with multiple paths and somehow you made it to the end of the level and you have no idea how you did.

The animation on the 100-Mario challenge?

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The animation on the 100-Mario challenge?
You see, every time you play 100 Mario Challenge. There is animation between the level. At first, it's OK and all. But after awhile, it's becoming really frustrasting to see Mario walk to the next level every time. Now, you can just press the Button A and pass the animation. It make the all alot faster.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Whenever you're given courses with a lot of pipes, sometimes you feel like you have to hesitate, all because of what might be inside them. But this is nothing new, since even the oldest Mario Bros. games pit you with that scenario.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Whenever you're given courses with a lot of pipes, sometimes you feel like you have to hesitate, all because of what might be inside them. But this is nothing new, since even the oldest Mario Bros. games pit you with that scenario.
If only it was that. But there is a problem with pipes in this game. The first you see a pipe with a ennemy in it. It will take like 5 second before the ennemy go off the pipes. But after? They come like 1 or 2 second! Which can ruin your timing if you don't pay attention. And it's really frustrating for me. (By the way, i have no problem with pipes in the other games.)

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
If only it was that. But there is a problem with pipes in this game. The first you see a pipe with a ennemy in it. It will take like 5 second before the ennemy go off the pipes. But after? They come like 1 or 2 second! Which can ruin your timing if you don't pay attention. And it's really frustrating for me. (By the way, i have no problem with pipes in the other games.)
I've noticed that too actually. I have to wait extra long for an enemy to come out lest I jump into it. As consequence, I've avoided putting platforming challenges on pipe spawners. Even then, for pipes that spawn power ups, it can fake one out for how long it takes to spawn an item.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've noticed that too actually. I have to wait extra long for an enemy to come out lest I jump into it. As consequence, I've avoided putting platforming challenges on pipe spawners. Even then, for pipes that spawn power ups, it can fake one out for how long it takes to spawn an item.
It should be noted, however, that Bill Blasters and Pipes may only release a certain number of enemies at a time. For an example, Bill Blasters may fire multiple Green Koopa Troopas, but they'll only fire one Red Koopa Troopa (another one will not appear until the last one is defeated or goes way off-screen).

Similarly, Bill Blasters that fire Bullet Bills will fire them more frequently than the Bill Blasters that fire Bull's-Eye Bills.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My latest Mario Maker Level is up:

(2B19-0000-00FA-1693)

This is my Christmas Level for @SlickWylde s mario maker Contest. In this level you must save Christmas! There is a story within it.( if the comments show up) Can someone tell me if they do please?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
My latest Mario Maker Level is up:

(2B19-0000-00FA-1693)

This is my Christmas Level for @SlickWylde s mario maker Contest. In this level you must save Christmas! There is a story within it.( if the comments show up) Can someone tell me if they do please?
Good luck with this contest! :) Me, i prefer use all the level i can upload for me. So no contest for me.:4yoshi:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I thought you had your stars increase to do it? And thanks!
Yeah, and that's why i have say that i not going to use a level for the contest. I prefer to be on project that i be sure to that will not make me feel limited. (By limited, i eman that, since there is no winter theme or even ennemy. Making a level based off christmas will not feel good for me. If a winter theme with all the ennemy and power-up include come before the contest end. I will try to make a level for it.)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah, and that's why i have say that i not going to use a level for the contest. I prefer to be on project that i be sure to that will not make me feel limited. (By limited, i eman that, since there is no winter theme or even ennemy. Making a level based off christmas will not feel good for me. If a winter theme with all the ennemy and power-up include come before the contest end. I will try to make a level for it.)
Ah, I see, a Winter Wonderland themed level might be acceptable, but I'd ask @SlickWylde to be sure.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So I just learned about this:

At first I thought it was going to be a new power-up, maybe an answer from Nintendo about the fact many people don't really like water levels.
Turns out that it's actually a Mystery Mushroom costume for SMB1.
First time a Mystery Mushroom costume actually disappoints me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is also a sign that no new power-ups are planned for Super Mario Maker. So much for seeing Frog Mario in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game style then.

Dan

Smash Lord
This is also a sign that no new power-ups are planned for Super Mario Maker. So much for seeing Frog Mario in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game style then.
I see what you're saying, but it's not 100% guaranteed, though highly likely.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I've been extremely addicted to Mario Maker. I've tried my hand at some "normal" levels, but have been having a little too much fun making really challenging levels. If anyone wants to try some of them, here is a list of them.

Power Star Run - F000-0000-00F7-ACA6
Power Star Run 2 - 989B-0000-00F7-EA0B
Take a Hit - 10B0-0000-00F7-B28C
Take a Hit 2 - 5602-0000-00F8-8F9C
Triple Giant Bowser Chase Maze - DC65-0000-00FA-61AC
Bounce: Easy Mode - 5812-0000-00FF-EA4D
Bounce: Normal Mode - 6C42-0000-00FF-F039
Bounce: Hard Mode - C106-0000-00FF-F078
Bounce: "Prepare to Die" Edition - 3789-0000-00FF-F88F

Those are all, for now. They're all the challenging ones, though I intend to upload the "normal" courses at a later time. "Bounce: "Prepare to Die" Edition" is possibly the hardest level I will ever make, so I doubt I can top it in difficult design (I broke two nights trying to beat it myself). Let me know what you think.

P.S. These levels are for masochists and Kaizo Mario players only.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So i have a good new and a bad new.
Good new: I finally get Peach costume and i have uploaded my Temporal Tower level.
Bad new: I have to go now on Expert Mode.

"Insert Darth Vador NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO here"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Metal Shop X Metal Shop X : If you don't already have the Bowser and Sonic costumes, you'll have to complete the expert difficulty a grand total of 30 times. Based on what I've analyzed, the following are the costume unlock limits, assuming that you haven't scanned any amiibo figures...

Easy: 20 clears
Normal: 45 clears
Expert: 30 clears

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Metal Shop X Metal Shop X : If you don't already have the Bowser and Sonic costumes, you'll have to complete the expert difficulty a grand total of 30 times. Based on what I've analyzed, the following are the costume unlock limits, assuming that you haven't scanned any amiibo figures...

Easy: 20 clears
Normal: 45 clears
Expert: 30 clears
Well atleast i know that i need to finish Expert mode 29 times now...(I just finished my first run. But of course, i have get Olimar.:4ganondorf: I just want all the female character.;_; )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, this is my first time posting on this thread. I got the game yesterday, and have been doing some experiments with it so far. I've also managed to upload one level to the servers...

Flying Notes (the name being an uncoincidential reference to my YouTube channel)
Code: 7D18-0000-0104-9BA8

Have fun with it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, this is my first time posting on this thread. I got the game yesterday, and have been doing some experiments with it so far. I've also managed to upload one level to the servers...

Flying Notes (the name being an uncoincidential reference to my YouTube channel)

Have fun with it.
I will test it when i come back!
Welcome also to the SMM Train! 'Hope you will have fun. ;)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
For those who have played Super Mario 3D World, I've made an 8-bit rendition of World 1-1, Super Bell Hill. Let me know what you think.

CCBE-0000-0104-B9EB

Have fun with it.
This level was trickier than it looked. It was a nicely done level, if albeit very short.

D

Deleted member

This level was trickier than it looked. It was a nicely done level, if albeit very short.
I haven't thought of making a longer version until you mentioned that. Maybe I should.

I was playtesting the level before uploading it to make sure the difficulty was enough for everyone to play it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't thought of making a longer version until you mentioned that. Maybe I should.

I was playtesting the level before uploading it to make sure the difficulty was enough for everyone to play it.
You can always implement checkpoint flags onto your courses if you have to.

Top Bottom