• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Maker

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
What are your thoughts on this upcoming Wii U game? Does it look fun? What sort of levels are you going to make? Discuss.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I am SO HYPED for Mario Maker! I hope they release it by the holidays this year. I know that there are ways already to make your own Mario levels, but having an officially endorsed way that is incredibly intuitive, easy to use, and easy to share is too good to pass up.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Besides Smash, this is the game that they showed at E3 that I'm most hyped for.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
This game looks like so much fun

Now waiting for Zelda Dungeon maker

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't show it in the Nintendo Direct. I hope we get news on it soon.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
We got an update, guys! What do you think of these new additions shown off, such as skins for Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World and wall jumping?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Oh man, Oh man.

I take back what I said about the game being too limited. NOW this is getting real.

Also, let's put this in the sticky section.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
Heh, this looks amazing! Although since I'm probably not the most creative person, I'm just amazed that I could recreate older Mario levels and experience in NSMBU graphics! I would be excited to do this with the Super Mario World and SMB3 graphics as well, but since I've played Super Mario Bros. Crossover with the different skins, it has spoiled me a little bit. :p

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
2hyped4this

What really makes me curious is the price, how much is this game?
I hope its only 15$/12£.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
2hyped4this

What really makes me curious is the price, how much is this game?
I hope its only 15$/12£.
I think it's going to be at least the price of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which cost the amount it costs for an average 3DS game (40 U.S. dollars for me)

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I think it's going to be at least the price of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which cost the amount it costs for an average 3DS game (40 U.S. dollars for me)
Yeah, you're probably right... But I feel like Mario Maker was a side game that they could make in a short amount of time and that people won't really be playing it alot, but in the same time people are gonna be spending hours on playing other levels, but creating them won't be really fun though, unless you are dedicated.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yeah, you're probably right... But I feel like Mario Maker was a side game that they could make in a short amount of time and that people won't really be playing it alot, but in the same time people are gonna be spending hours on playing other levels, but creating them won't be really fun though, unless you are dedicated.
Oh god...I can see the Kaiser mario levels now... lol XD :chuckle:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of wondering if Mario Maker is going to end up being an eShop exclusive title. We'll just have to wait and see.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I'm kind of wondering if Mario Maker is going to end up being an eShop exclusive title. We'll just have to wait and see.
Its most likely it will be, I would never expect to find a game called Mario Maker at a gamestop.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wonder...

Considering we have art styles from the "classic 4" of Mario (counting Lost Levels instead of SMB2), would you guys want NSMB1 style with DS-quality models, or NSMBWii with Wii-quality models? I would laugh so hard if they included those.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll probably pick this up provided it's cheap. Unless they include a full-scale adventure mode a la LittleBigPlanet, I see no reason for this to be any more than €15.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but being able to make 2D Mario levels has been something that I could do for free since YEARS ago if I wanted to. I tried my hand at a specific level maker for Super Mario World when I was younger and it was easy to understand (in fact, like Mario Maker, it based it's interface of Mario Paint). That, and I kinda dislike how in this one, we are stuck with SMB1 physics no matter what. I think there should be an option for SMB1 physics and another for SMW or NSMB physics (both are fine). SMB1 has not aged well at all when it comes to how it feels to move Mario, and making that the only way to play when we have had 2D Mario games that just feel far better to control should not be a selling point for the game.

As far as other successors to this game, I'd love a level maker for 3D World. The game seems like it can easily facilitate one that is accessible (even the terrain in the game looks like it's made out of pre-made pieces that they copy-paste around to make slopes bigger and smaller), should they use a grid based layout like in Mario Maker. And since 3D World has five playable characters, you could make levels tailour made for specific characters and their abilities. Making levels designed with Rosalina's Spin Attack in mind, in particular, would be amazing. People made levels for the Galaxy games that made really cool use of the Spin Attack for platforming. Since Rosalina's Spin Attack is even more versatile (since it can carry forward momentum, unlike Mario's in the Galaxy games), I would love to design levels made for it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do know that you can compose your own courses for New Super Mario Bros. Wii with Reggie. However, some people do not have the luxury of using Homebrew on their Wii, so Mario Maker will at least resolve that issue to some extent.

Last edited:

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
Cannot wait to play others creations in this. Pretty Syked for the crossplatform setup this will be.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I'm super hyped for this! It looks like they're really trying to get the Mario Paint feel with it, so that's cool.

But if you want to make your own Mario levels/games before this comes out, this is the way to go.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Funny story: I actually realized that the game is the SMB1 30th anniversary title right before that trailer was shown.

Though with Man of Steel barely acknowledging being the Superman 75th anniversary movie, I wasn't so sure Mario Maker would acknowledge that fact.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I'm very excited for this and I will be driving an hour to try it out at the Best Buy Nintendo E3 event.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not sure if the Best Buy event will give you much time to compose a course, so it probably won't be as big as the Smash-Fest that was held during E3 2014.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm primarily going to be using the Mario 3 skin

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The title has been changed to Super Mario Maker, and lots of new features have been revealed, including new power ups and bosses!

Quillion

Smash Hero
The title has been changed to Super Mario Maker, and lots of new features have been revealed, including new power ups and bosses!
So it's more than just a Mario Maker.

It's a SUPER Mario Maker.

(Honestly, it's probably just to establish it as being in the Mario "main" series, which is generally called the Super Mario series).

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't like that Yoshi is locked to SMW and NSMBU.

I also don't like that the other characters can only be played in the SMB1 style. At least include Luigi damn it! He has perfectly functional sprites for all the games represented so far!

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Had the chance to try this game out Saturday and it is EPIC. I played through several of the built-in stages and they're all nuts. I am not very creative, so I'll mostly be playing stages other than making them. I do love that you have to be able to complete your stage before uploading it though - to prevent people trolling and uploading unbeatable levels. I'm really excited to try the four levels from Nintendo World Championships. Hah

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I also don't like that the other characters can only be played in the SMB1 style. At least include Luigi damn it! He has perfectly functional sprites for all the games represented so far!
Aww...really?

I was hoping for SMB 3 Yoshi

Really? They make SMB3 and SMB sprites for Bowser Jr, Koopa Clown Car, Wiggler and several other enemies, but they can't make them for Yoshi?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Really? They make SMB3 and SMB sprites for Bowser Jr, Koopa Clown Car, Wiggler and several other enemies, but they can't make them for Yoshi?
It more has to do with the fact that the Yoshi elements never existed in Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3. Likewise, there's no sloped terrain in Super Mario Bros., which explains why none exist in Super Mario Maker.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
SMB and 3 get the boot instead of Yoshi though. Guess an 8-bit Yoshi was too much.

And the NSMBU theme gets the SMW spin jump for some reason, in the real game it does jack for jumping on spiked enemies. NSMBU seems to be the best mechanically, all it's missing is chucking stuff upwards. ...Actually, I should of tried that.

Top Bottom