• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Speaking of the trademark renewal, I had a thought about how downloadable content was added to the trademark. Is it possible that it was added there so it would be used for Smash like add more GS Spirits and possibly a DLC character? I’m still trying to figure that out.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I think the timing fits for it to have been GS that did get cut, seeing as we're aware of a trademark being applied for a week prior to the original direct, which is the exact same timing for when Dark Dawn was first shown at E3 2009, but we'll see.
Forgive me if this sounds a bit blunt.

I honestly don’t think the Sep Direct was going to show anything Golden Sun related at all. That’s the biggest stretch of the imagination I’ve ever heard. The most plausible thing is that it was likely the disaster thing in City Skylines or whatever it’s called. Something was cut, yes, but I have a hard time believing it was a full reveal for GS remakes or GS4.

As for the trademark...

Keep in mind Golden Sun isn’t the only thing to recently have been trademarked. And we haven’t seen the outcome of those yet either. The trademark is interesting. But so far it only means Nintendo’s open to the possibility not necessarily that they are making a GS game ATM.

Companies trademark all the time and then don’t do anything with them in the end.

What’s important right here, right now, is that they’re OPEN to the idea. And we as a community need to help make that idea more appealing to them.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I'll get my Switch next week but I still have to buy Ultimate. So meanwhile, there's a store not so far away from where I live that had the game on their Switch so clients could try it, I was trying King K. Rool for the first time but forgot to turn off items and I got an AT. Yep, Isaac was the first guy I summoned.
sad_reacts_only.jpg

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I wasn't claiming that it 100% was going to happen, just pointing out that the timing was right, and more than just Japan registered it on the same day. I'm not quite claiming that it definitely happened, but it's certainly a possibility that would be unwise to simply ignore.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You must need to register your game with My Nintendo. I got it off the Eshop, meaning it's automatically registered.
I did. Registering is part of getting the code for Piranha Plant which I did get. The plant may be an awful choice for a Smash character but a free character is still a free character.

Zeldatwo

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; trolling
I did. Registering is part of getting the code for Piranha Plant which I did get. The plant may be an awful choice for a Smash character but a free character is still a free character.
The Plant is a fantastic choice for Smash; far better than a character few people have heard of.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't respond to troll bait. Just going to put that out there right now.

Did you get the code already? I got it recently. That said, I kind of like the idea. But I can understand people wanting someone who feels more "important" to a series(or more established).

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Just got the Isaac spirit. Really made me excited just to see our boy in even if he’s not a fighter. What do you guys think Felix or Matthew’s chance for DLC is?

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
anybody else think it’s just not fair series that have nothing to do with nintendo like snake and cloud and joker make it in but isaac can’t?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
No, I don't view it as unfair they are here. Sakurai doesn't really see Smash as Nintendo All Stars exclusive rather he sees it as a crossover of all gaming with a focus on Nintendo. I just wish there was more of a balance between what the fans wanted and what characters Sakurai wants to add. I have been much more ok with things like this in the past but after the ballot was virtually unused it's a lot harder to accept how little our input as fans means.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
anybody else think it’s just not fair series that have nothing to do with nintendo like snake and cloud and joker make it in but isaac can’t?
I mean, those series do have quite a bit to do with Nintendo, so I’m not mad. Hell, all three characters I think were poor choices for Smash are Nintendo characters.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
The troll is back great. Anyway I have no knowledge in HTML and this took me like 2 hours to do but I edited Piranha Plant on the website into this:
Screenshot_1.png

I know not everyone is a fan of the Smashified render (I'm not a huge fan either) but it is the highest quality render out there right now. I also slightly saturated the colours to fit Ultimate's tone. So what does everyone think?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Not at all, really. Smash is, obviously, more than Nintendo ever since Brawl, it’s a celebration of gaming.

Plus....

Metal Gear was birthed on a Nintendo Console. Justifying Snake’s inclusion.

For the longest time Final Fantasy was THE Nintendo RPG. Justifying Cloud’s inclusion since he’s arguably the most recognizable FF character ever.

The Shin Megami Tensei series have a home on Nintendo hardware. While a mainline Persona game hasn’t, it’s still a SMT game, thus justifying Joker’s inclusion since he’s the most relevant.

Believe me, I want Isaac in more than any of these characters, but I think they have every right to be in Smash.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Not at all, really. Smash is, obviously, more than Nintendo ever since Brawl, it’s a celebration of gaming.

Plus....

For the longest time Final Fantasy was THE Nintendo RPG. Justifying Cloud’s inclusion since he’s arguably the most recognizable FF character ever.

The Shin Megami Tensei series have a home on Nintendo hardware. While a mainline Persona game hasn’t, it’s still a SMT game, thus justifying Joker’s inclusion since he’s the most relevant.

Believe me, I want Isaac in more than any of these characters, but I think they have every right to be in Smash.
I think it's pretty silly to justify it in that way. Snake wasn't given consideration because it started on Nintendo Sakurai was friends with Kojima, Sakurai didn't care about the history FF had with Nintendo and laughed at the thought of using a character from a Nintendo FF over Cloud, and I guarantee SMT's history had nothing to do with Joker's inclusion. Basically, Nintendo history isn't a requirement and finding silly little examples when Sakurai already put it at the level of just needing to appear on a Nintendo console once (which isn't even a requirement he just said if Cloud had never been on a Nintendo console he might have had second thoughts) so really Nintendo history is just a fan rule. Kind of hurts when that's Banjo's biggest strength but really claiming Cloud, Snake, or Joker somehow has the prerequisite Nintendo status is flimsy at best.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I think it's pretty silly to justify it in that way. Snake wasn't given consideration because it started on Nintendo Sakurai was friends with Kojima, Sakurai didn't care about the history FF had with Nintendo and laughed at the thought of using a character from a Nintendo FF over Cloud, and I guarantee SMT's history had nothing to do with Joker's inclusion. Basically, Nintendo history isn't a requirement and finding silly little examples when Sakurai already put it at the level of just needing to appear on a Nintendo console once (which isn't even a requirement he just said if Cloud had never been on a Nintendo console he might have had second thoughts) so really Nintendo history is just a fan rule. Kind of hurts when that's Banjo's biggest strength but really claiming Cloud, Snake, or Joker somehow has the prerequisite Nintendo status is flimsy at best.
I can get behind that. I’m merely stating that they can be traced to Nintendo in some way. Not that that’s solely the reason they’re in there to begin with.

It is a fan rule, but it’s one that has yet to be broken. That day will come when crap like Master Chief end up in Smash... hmmmm

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I can get behind that. I’m merely stating that they can be traced to Nintendo in some way. Not that that’s solely the reason they’re in there to begin with.

It is a fan rule, but it’s one that has yet to be broken. That day will come when crap like Master Chief end up in Smash... hmmmm
Well actually I'm saying it's a fan rule that's already broken. Those three already have no actual history with Nintendo we don't need MC to prove it further.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
The troll is back great. Anyway I have no knowledge in HTML and this took me like 2 hours to do but I edited Piranha Plant on the website into this:
View attachment 183995
I know not everyone is a fan of the Smashified render (I'm not a huge fan either) but it is the highest quality render out there right now. I also slightly saturated the colours to fit Ultimate's tone. So what does everyone think?
Looks nice.

And yeah, not a big fan of the smashified render. I like the hair texture, but I don’t feel like it accurately represents his hairstyle. And then there are the eyes. Why are his eyes apparently the hardest thing to get right?

I can still remember when they first released the Smashified Isaac video. I was so hyped.... only to be “meh” by the end. Tho I will admit the Ragbarok at the end was a nice touch.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
8423D191-8E25-4F76-B76C-80E0C22EBC93.jpeg

F308FF1A-D391-4680-A924-AF3A96233301.jpeg

Agh!!! I’m so close to having my Dream Team! Sonic, Isaac and Simon (in that order) have been my most wanted characters since Melee and here we are where I almost have them all here. I refuse to give up on Isaac being DLC (or next game) and for GS to return.

View attachment 183995
There was this render by Nazyrus Nazyrus that would have worked too:
0BC0EC09-C1A4-4EA3-81C8-565498411F39.jpeg

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Hi, Golden Sun fans!
Are you still fighting for the rebirth of the Golden Sun?
If this is the case, we have to notify Nintendo.
There was a great movement #GoldenSunday, and the fight has to continue.
I share two links to contact Nintendo America, we have to request the remakes of the first two Golden Sun or the fourth chapter of the serie.
As a result, I'm sure Isaac will be in the next Smash Bros. Although, I wish he was like a playable DLC character in Ultimate...
I hope it helps, but the links are only for Nintendo to answer people who live in America (:/) ...

English, Support:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact -> Corporate Questions ->Corporate Social Responsability & Accesibility -> Web Chat or Call.
Español, Atención al Cliente:
https://es-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask -> Corporate -> Relaciones Públicas -> Email

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
The idea of sending a lot of emails and letters to express the desire of having a new entry or a remake is brilliant. Maybe Nintendo would give a standard PR response, but, hey, if the fans can manage to send a lot of these in few days, I'm sure some of the nintendo's media will notice it, like it happened with Golden Sunday, and it would give more people to join our cause.

The somewhat negative reception to Dark Dawn can't have helped here, and probably turned Camelot off to doing big RPGs with a smaller team, for now. I'm still thinking that something's been in the works since a couple years ago (probably a remake) and will be announced sometime next year, maybe at E3, alongside Isaac as DLC in Smash.
It's impossible. I did some research after the release of MTA to see how many people worked in the new game, comparing it to previous work (Ultra Smash and SuperStars), and only 8 people didn't take part in MTA (and one of them left the company to work in Monster Hunter World).
So, unless Camelot have expanded their study and recluted like 10 more people to start that project with the other 7 guys (which is highly unlikely), there wasn't a parallel project with MTA.
The other seven people probably left the company.

And, to add another disgrace, a new Mario Golf game is inevitable, considering the new Nintendo's CEO really liked Golf Story. (/jk, I really doubt Furukawa can decide it, but, let's be honest, Mario Golf is the next title Camelot will do unless Camelot refuses or Nintendo gives the franchise to another studio).

Quick theory: what if the rumored cut game from the September Direct was Golden Sun? I was thinking about it last night and thought that maybe Nintendo felt the reveal would be distasteful, so they delayed the reveal of the game, giving Camelot additional time to work on it. Funnily enough, Isaac was also supposed to be revealed here (a dual Isabelle/Isaac reveal), but had been cut from the game earlier (it has nothing to do with the earthquake). I think the Smash team realized they simply couldn't have Isaac done on time, so they cut him and any new GS stuff, and made him an Assist to tide fans over. However, because the delay with the new GS game, Isaac can still be revealed alongside it, so Nintendo requests that Isaac (or a GS4 protagonist, if the new game is GS4) become a fighter in Smash to promote the game. I don't think this is entirely unreasonable, and lines up with the cut victory theme that was discovered (between Isabelle and Incineroar)
Nah, that's very far-fecthed. If they couldn't get one character on time, they would do like Piranha Plant way (also, why priorize PP above some main character of other franchise or something like this? PP is a random pick (the Sakurai's troll pick), but I'm sure 80% (or even 90%) of people would choose the other one (the main character of some unrepresented franchise, a secondary or antagonist of a represented franchise) rather a generic enemy from the Mario franchise). Also it would mean they started with this character before Incineroar, and Incineroar was done, so...
Another thing, if Camelot is working in a new game, they started in April or May, with a smaller team, because some of their members would be working (and are currently working) in MTA patches and stuff like that.

Also,
and lines up with the cut victory theme that was discovered (between Isabelle and Incineroar).
Wait, what.
Are there any thread which recollect all this datamining data? I would like to have it.
Maybe Ken could have had his victory theme but for some reason they couldn't put the song.

I think the timing fits for it to have been GS that did get cut, seeing as we're aware of a trademark being applied for a week prior to the original direct, which is the exact same timing for when Dark Dawn was first shown at E3 2009, but we'll see.
Yeah, but the first renew of the GS happened 9 years after the first game. IIRC, in Japan they have to renew their trademarks every nine-years period, so they had to. It was the second renew which was strange.
As for the trademark...
Keep in mind Golden Sun isn’t the only thing to recently have been trademarked. And we haven’t seen the outcome of those yet either. The trademark is interesting. But so far it only means Nintendo’s open to the possibility not necessarily that they are making a GS game ATM.
Companies trademark all the time and then don’t do anything with them in the end.
What’s important right here, right now, is that they’re OPEN to the idea. And we as a community need to help make that idea more appealing to them.
Renewing trademark is just to protect their name and franchise. It doesn't mean they're interested in making a new game. They had renewed the Eternal Darkness trademark a lot of times (I've the feeling I read like 3 or 4 times that piece of news) and they didn't do anything with that franchise, for example.

The only strange thing that happened with the GS trademark was they renewed it a year before they would have. The expiration date was in 2019 (and not 2018), so Nintendo still had a year to do it.
Maybe with Smash they started to renew all the trademarks and they just wanted to advance work and took advantage... or maybe they're currently working in a new game and wanted to destroy all the speculation this year to surprise us the next year when no one is theorizing with it (I mean, if they announce the game a month after they renewed the trademark, everyone would expect it, but if they want to surprise, they can announce it the next year when everyone have forgot this year they renewed it... Remember the surprise factor is a huge deal in marketing).
So... who knows the true reason why they did it.

No, I don't view it as unfair they are here. Sakurai doesn't really see Smash as Nintendo All Stars exclusive rather he sees it as a crossover of all gaming with a focus on Nintendo. I just wish there was more of a balance between what the fans wanted and what characters Sakurai wants to add. I have been much more ok with things like this in the past but after the ballot was virtually unused it's a lot harder to accept how little our input as fans means.
To be fair, in this game Sakurai really spoiled the fans. He added three massive requested newcomers (Ridley, King K Rool and Inklings; the first two were "dead characters" (Metroid which isn't the most profitable franchise, and KKR which doesn't appear in a mainline Donkey Kong game since N64 (DS if you want to count that game as a mainline entry))), a lot of veterans who were also very requested (Ice Climbers, Snake and Wolf), a 3rd party character which was being suggested a lot of times as "one of the ideal ones", had its fans (maybe it wasn't the most requested, but had presence) and was a hot topic thanks to the Castlevania series in Netflix. IMO, only Isabelle and Incineroar were selected by Nintendo/Sakurai (and I'm sure Isabelle was hugely popular in Japan) and PP was the "Sakurai selection" that Nintendo allows in each entry.
So, basically, half of the new roster was decided by fans, and only 2 of the newcomers were chosen by Sakurai/Nintendo (Incineroar and PP).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think Ken would have a unique victory theme. Street Fighter representation in Smash tries to focus on SF2 as much as possible, which is where the SF victory theme already comes from.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
To be fair, in this game Sakurai really spoiled the fans. He added three massive requested newcomers (Ridley, King K Rool and Inklings; the first two were "dead characters" (Metroid which isn't the most profitable franchise, and KKR which doesn't appear in a mainline Donkey Kong game since N64 (DS if you want to count that game as a mainline entry))), a lot of veterans who were also very requested (Ice Climbers, Snake and Wolf), a 3rd party character which was being suggested a lot of times as "one of the ideal ones", had its fans (maybe it wasn't the most requested, but had presence) and was a hot topic thanks to the Castlevania series in Netflix. IMO, only Isabelle and Incineroar were selected by Nintendo/Sakurai (and I'm sure Isabelle was hugely popular in Japan) and PP was the "Sakurai selection" that Nintendo allows in each entry.
So, basically, half of the new roster was decided by fans, and only 2 of the newcomers were chosen by Sakurai/Nintendo (Incineroar and PP).
To be fair if the ballot hadn't happened the roster would have been the exact same minus K Rool so at best Sakurai did what he wanted and used the ballot to justify it and at worst K Rool is really all the ballot affected which to be fair means our input didn't matter for the roster.

ZelDan

Smash Master
To be fair if the ballot hadn't happened the roster would have been the exact same minus K Rool so at best Sakurai did what he wanted and used the ballot to justify it and at worst K Rool is really all the ballot affected which to be fair means our input didn't matter for the roster.
Well, I don't know if Dark Samus would have made it in without any demand. Maybe Chrom too, though considering he was echo material and how much love FE gets (especially Awakening) I could see him gettng in without having all the demand he got as well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, I don't know if Dark Samus would have made it in without any demand. Maybe Chrom too, though considering he was echo material and how much love FE gets (especially Awakening) I could see him gettng in without having all the demand he got as well.
Plus, Sakurai has mentioned that veterans were also popular ballot picks. Though I think in regards to Young Link people wanted to see him have a mask moveset rather than be the closest thing SSBU has to the classic Smash Link.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well if they weren't easy padding they wouldn't have made it. That outweighed any demand. I mean if you look at Dark Samus's AT in 4 it's clear Sakurai knew DS had more than enough to be unique but she's an echo. Chrom was already rejected for not bringing anything new but now here he is and curiously still in Robin's Final Smash. Looks pretty likely he was grabbed because they already have the model on hand. Something which they did in 4 as that's how we got Lucina and Dark Pit having their own square.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To offer another opinion on third parties in Smash, I'm actually not a fan at all of having Snake, Cloud, and co. Saying that they're associated with Nintendo is, in my eyes, not a strong argument, especially when these characters are clearly not in the game because they or their series were on Nintendo consoles at one point. Besides that, I don't really agree with Smash being for "gaming as a whole." Maybe I'm still stuck in 2007, but I view third parties as being more akin to "guest characters," special crossover additions that wouldn't normally be there. Plus it's simply not realistic for Smash to represent all of gaming in any fair way; character choices are limited by whose rights they can get and, crucially, there's way too many companies and characters who have had an impact on gaming in general in order to give everyone a fair shake. For example, there's no way they'd be able to put in all the most significant Sony or Microsoft characters, and even if they did, would it still be a Nintendo fighting game? And someone like Crash Bandicoot has arguably had more of an impact than the likes of Bayonetta or Snake, but should he, along with a host of other characters, get in just because a less iconic third party is in? It would only be fair, right? If you think that a character like Crash should get in, it's probably not just because he's as notable as other third parties in Smash. If you just have to be important to gaming in general to be in Smash, then some of the characters we have significantly lower the bar for that requirement. In addition, we wouldn't talk about characters like, say, Lloyd Irving or Banjo nearly as much if third party additions were just about recognizing all of gaming. So for me, there should be limits on which third party characters they add.
Of course, third parties continue to get in, but not primarily because they're "celebrating gaming" but rather because Nintendo wants to bring new audiences to their consoles and rake in the cash (and bringing in new audiences is good, so I see why they do it, but I still think there should be limits).

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Hi, Golden Sun fans!
Are you still fighting for the rebirth of the Golden Sun?
If this is the case, we have to notify Nintendo.
There was a great movement #GoldenSunday, and the fight has to continue.
I share two links to contact Nintendo America, we have to request the remakes of the first two Golden Sun or the fourth chapter of the serie.
As a result, I'm sure Isaac will be in the next Smash Bros. Although, I wish he was like a playable DLC character in Ultimate...
I hope it helps, but the links are only for Nintendo to answer people who live in America (:/) ...

English, Support:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact -> Corporate Questions ->Corporate Social Responsability & Accesibility -> Web Chat or Call.
Español, Atención al Cliente:
https://es-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask -> Corporate -> Relaciones Públicas -> Email
If we really want to be heard we’ll need to send physical letters.

And I’m already working on something... :) it will all be revealed New Years Day...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Plus....

Shamefully, this is true.

However, we've been thrown some bones in this game. 8 Spirits, a upgraded Assist Trophy, Isaac Mii costume, music, character icons on online profiles... and that's quite a thing.

Also, if you fight on a Omega or Battlefield version of the Find Mii stage, with the Doom Dragon music on, it kinda feels like a Lighthouse fight in Golden Sun. Or at least, Golden Sun-like scenery. Same with the Summit stage and Weyard track. Kinda makes me feel like am playing The Lost Age again, looking for that Trident piece on the southern part of the map...

Damn I miss Golden Sun.....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How is this trolling? Golden sun fans are harassing devs on twitter. These are facts.
What does that have to do with Smashboards? Nothing. I should've deleted the post, I admit. That said, just report the tweets and move on. Unless you're asking people to report them, there's no reason to post it here.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
What does that have to do with Smashboards? Nothing. I should've deleted the post, I admit. That said, just report the tweets and move on. Unless you're asking people to report them, there's no reason to post it here.
I also don't think it's fair to single out one user and then generalize the fandom by saying that "Golden Sun fans are harassing devs on twitter." Especially when said user was displaying disappointment during the timeframe Isaac was revealed as an assist. This same user was not threatening Sakurai nor was using ad hominem by insulting his character. I don't deny that there are people who outright harassed devs over this from the fandom and others alike, but it's unfair to lump Golden Sun fans as a whole with this kind of behavior.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Plus, we can’t control what other people do or say.

Nazyrus shouldn’t have said what he said, but he doesn’t represent the greater Golden Sun community as a whole.

Top Bottom