• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Istry555

Smash Cadet
They're not doing a new ballot, though.

I honestly feel like they've already planned out which 5 characters they're adding and have already started on them to an extent.

If they intended Isaac to be one of them, they wouldn't have made him an assist.

I don't think there's any hope for DLC.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
- Paper Mario
- Tingle (Suspiciously not an AT anymore and I think he has a big fanbase in Japan)
- Lloyd
- Geno or Sora
- Banjo (I hope)
I would be down for this.

I have no idea who to support now. Everyone I really want is deconfirmed, has no chance (Andy) or they're pretty much going to get in (Bandana Dee)

Like when Dark Samus was deconfirmed, it was very easy for DS's fans to move onto Ridley. With Waluigi deconfirmed, many of his fans moved onto Ashley. Isaac really doesn't have that. All lesser known Nintendo franchises pretty much put their hope into him.

I guess, out of respect I'm going to root for Banjo and Geno, but also out of my delusions imma also root for a playable GS character.

They even had a Custom Robo Mii costume.
oh shoot. really? when ? this makes things even more confusing. i would growth all over myself if we got ray!

aztimh

Smash Rookie
The five DLC characters

3rd Party
3rd Party
New Pokemon
3rd Party
Fire Emblem
Nah I think Sakurai has given us a taste of what’s to come:

So I’ll guess the 5 are:

Goomba
Bob-omb
Magikoopa
Monty Mole
Cheep Cheep

xD

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I came from the Shantae Support thread...

I'm sorry that you guys couldn't get Isaac as a fighter, like you wished. :(
He got a bronze medal as an Assist Trophy, but I get it's not what you hoped for.

I hope you will be able to get over it and enjoy the game regardless.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly; he kind of was. Sakurai thought development time would go BETTER into Pirannah Plant over Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Shantae, ETC.
I wanna clarify that I actually kinda like Piranha Plant from what was shown. The circumstances in which he got in though are pretty bad honestly..

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Yeah I’m not confident in DLC. Seems like they have a roadmap. I’ll continue to put my support behind it, but I have a sick feeling that we’re going to see DLC that caters to relevancy or extremely high fan demand. We may see Bandana Dee and/or Banjo and Kazooie. It’d be nice to see them. But I have a feeling we’ll get characters to promote new Nintendo content.

Maybe something from Luigi’s Mansion 3. Fire Emblem Three Houses character feels like a lock now.

That being said the fight’s only over if we give up. No matter what we need to stick together and keep talking.

(Since the signature thing isn’t working I’ll just slip this in here) https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSunRisesAga2

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
I know it hurts that Isaac isn't playable and that a damn pirahna plant got in over any other character but at least we have him as an AT and got that sweet battle remix back. Having said that, i will continue with the purchase of the game anyway since this game unites so many beloved franchises and i was bought the day i saw richter belmont, a character i never saw coming nor a character i ever asked for. But believe me, i've wanted isaac in these games ever since melee and it feels like a blow to the gut seeing him as an assist. What's worse is that the pirahna plant feels like getting dropped to the ground, kicked, spit on, and flipped off. That could have been any other character right there! An insult nonetheless!
And sadly i never wanted to bring this up but, that rathalos pic was never a hint to isaac's inclusion. It was more of a monster hunter reference and i can almost tell you this for sure since i am a huge monster hunter fan.
I know many of you have given up or will do so soon but do know this, isaac IS an AT but NOT matthew. And if ever we get a new golden sun game, matthew's chances will sky rocket and you can bet your sorry asses that i'll be voting for him in the smash ballots!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
The fact they brought Isaac back in my opinion is a very Pyrrhic victory.

We are remembered, we got Golden Sun content back. But we still have a ways to go.

I would not rule out ATs as DLC, since the wave of Waluigi meming will likely lead to him getting in either this season or season 2. We still have a shot, but we need to stay strong.

It has been an honor.
Can assist trophies even get in though regarding this official quote:

Sakurai did clarify that the new characters coming in for download would not be returning characters, which makes sense as the game has the entire series roster so far, and will not be Echo fighters, his term for characters based closely on existing fighters.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, everyone is really piss today, so we should all go home and rest a little.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know why we got Incineroar and P Plant?

Because alone, we are weak!

I propose that we all form a coalition whit the 3 most populars characters not playable.

Together, our voice can reach more people, even Nintendo!!!

I propose that we all form one big Ultimate fan group and we push for Banjo Kazooie, Isaac and Geno, if one character is confirm, then we all shift to the remaining 2.

We shall always support each others, ignore our own bias.

I s*** at paint, but this is what I propose.

Dead franchise united!!!

Attachments

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Even without a playable Isaac we can still support Golden Sun to make a return. After we mourn over an non-playable Isaac we need to shift our gears to getting Nintendo interested in a new Golden Sun.
As I'm sure you know, the trademark for Golden Sun was recently renewed. As I understand it, typically trademarks are generally auto-renewed for the purpose of general coverage. However, in regards to Golden Sun, I definitely feel as though Nintendo has taken note of the support of, not only Isaac, but of the series as a whole. I believe that their take away of Dark Dawn reception would encourage them to properly development future instalments. This isn't the end of the franchise and we should be encouraged how the community has grown and spread over the course of the past several years. The battle isn't over.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Man, I thought this game was supposed to be different. Remember the August Direct? Remember all the hope we had back then as it seemed like the series was going in the direction it should've gone in a long time ago? It's unfortunate that those hopes have not only been dashed, but malisciously stomped upon and beaten in a bloody pulp. Maybe the backlash will FINALLY cause the Big N to get its act together (though I doubt it).

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm sorry that happened Issac fans. Honestly Nintendo should have showed off all the assists at E3. They're not fighters, so it's better to disappoint everyone at the beginning than drag it all the way out to the end. As for that Golden Sun picture with Link, Marth, Shulk, and Rathalos, it might just be a coincidence, unless the development team seriously decided to be *****, which I don't think is super likely.

After seeing this I want to support Issac.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Isaac being de-confirmed and knowing there's a 0% chance of him being DLC really stung a lot, and then especially when Piranha Plant followed all of this. Like everyone else is saying, he should've been revealed earlier just to get the band-aid ripped off. Hell, if he was revealed earlier, we could've at least pushed for DLC. But knowing that the DLC is already determined, bleh... Well, I can't wait for uh... a Sidehopper, a Waddle Doo, a Moblin, a Gnawty, and a Metall as our next characters.

I'm still invested in the game with a lot of other characters I love, but... man. I'm starting to think it's just a genuinely bad idea to have potential characters be assist trophies. Like, stuff like Lakitu, Metroid, Klaptrap, and Knuckle Joe are fine... but when you throw stuff in like Lyn, Shadow, and of course, Isaac, you kind of just disappoint those fanbases a lot.

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
I'm glad you guys got an AT. I know it sucks he isn't playable, but I've learned that just because a character isn't playable, doesn't mean that the game is bad.

Last edited:

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
Man, I thought this game was supposed to be different. Remember the August Direct? Remember all the hope we had back then as it seemed like the series was going in the direction it should've gone in a long time ago? It's unfortunate that those hopes have not only been dashed, but malisciously stomped upon and beaten in a bloody pulp. Maybe the backlash will FINALLY cause the Big N to get its act together (though I doubt it).
I agree. They really messed up the order of the directs. The first smash direct should have been the last and vice versa. Ken and incineroar as final reveals? Pfff!! But that's my opinion.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
As I'm sure you know, the trademark for Golden Sun was recently renewed. As I understand it, typically trademarks are generally auto-renewed for the purpose of general coverage. However, in regards to Golden Sun, I definitely feel as though Nintendo has taken note of the support of, not only Isaac, but of the series as a whole. I believe that their take away of Dark Dawn reception would encourage them to properly development future instalments. This isn't the end of the franchise and we should be encouraged how the community has grown and spread over the course of the past several years. The battle isn't over.
I hope you're right man, this series means so much to so many of us

cybersai

Smash Ace
To be honest the old way Isaac will ever be playable in Smash is if the Golden Sun series itself has a full reboot and console debut with Isaac as the main character. Camelot should remake the two GBA games on Switch with modern graphics.

That's the only way I could see Isaac happening...next Smash.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I just hate that they revealed his assist trophy this close to release. I feel like it’s a cheap tactic to generate hype by leading on a fan base that their character might get in. At least the Waluigi fans got that bandaid ripped off right away.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I'm not giving up ya'll, Isaac may be deconfirmed but we can still show support for our boy FELIX.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Hope you’re right man.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
The battle is far from over. I’ll continue to fight. I’ll fight harder than I ever have.

I’m sad. I’m angry. But I’m also kind of excited. Now we truly get to see what the Golden Sun fan base is capable of. Many have come here expressing that we didn’t deserve the AT treatment. But those words ring hollow if we don’t stick with it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSunRisesAga2

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Isaac being de-confirmed and knowing there's a 0% chance of him being DLC really stung a lot, and then especially when Piranha Plant followed all of this. Like everyone else is saying, he should've been revealed earlier just to get the band-aid ripped off. Hell, if he was revealed earlier, we could've at least pushed for DLC. But knowing that the DLC is already determined, bleh... Well, I can't wait for uh... a Sidehopper, a Waddle Doo, a Moblin, a Gnawty, and a Metall as our next characters.

I'm still invested in the game with a lot of other characters I love, but... man. I'm starting to think it's just a genuinely bad idea to have potential characters be assist trophies. Like, stuff like Lakitu, Metroid, Klaptrap, and Knuckle Joe are fine... but when you throw stuff in like Lyn, Shadow, and of course, Isaac, you kind of just disappoint those fanbases a lot.
A special message from Push Dustin.
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1058025816397799425

Here's my thoughts. They wouldn't have bothered with the trademark so soon had they generally stopped caring about the property. Theym ight be planning something. New game, means new Isaac design possibly, right? Well if that happens, it's safe to assume said design of Isaac could serve as the basis of a inclusion in smash. As they'd obviously want to prop a new game up with a smash inclusion, especially given that it's a propety that could really due for the smash push. AKA like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I truly love the fight some of you have! I wish I could say I feel the same but sadly I don’t.

Considering the fact Sakurai has stated there will be 5 dlc characters means to me that his team already chose who those characters are. I highly doubt Isaac would be an assist trophy right now if he was going to be one of them! Plus the fact that CoroCoro claimed 108 stages back then means they must have heard something about the DLC plans and thought it was meant for the base game as the DLC will conveniently give us those 5 stages.

The other sad reality is that Nintendo plans to support the Switch for the next ten years. Assuming they keep the Switch branding and just update the console similarly to the DS and 3DS...I doubt we’ll be seeing a new Smash game until after 2027.

Maybe the new trademark this year means something is in the works such as a remaster or Golden Sun 4 but until that happens...I no longer believe Isaac has a chance to be playable...

I’m sorry for being so negative since I’ve been one of the overly positive ones during this speculation time. I love Golden Sun and Isaac will forever be my most wanted playable character but...I’m tired...I don’t want to feel like I’m wasting my time anymore.

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
The worst part about this is that the ballot was only used for one character K.Rool, and then the ballot didn't matter anymore.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
so if music theory holds true 2 of the characters will be from returning franchises and there will probably be 3 3rd parties
5 new stages for dlc rounds out the stage select screen as well. finishing up with 8 lines of 10 for the character select screen.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
my 2 cents. rooting for felix is pointless and we should continue to root for Isaac until the bitter end as he has the most recognition. In addition to this, i refuse to give up of Golden Sun. Isaac may have been disconfirmed, but we have amassed a sizable fanbase, and several newcomers to the series. before the fanbase gives up hope, and breaks apart, I believe its finally time to push Camelot for a new Golden Sun with our increased size. We have a chance, and our battle isn't over. Several others are already a part of this movement, and we're trying to spread it out as far as possible. That, and ATs being impossible for DLC is a fan made rule. Isaac's still possible for DLC, but i feel rooting for him for DLC at this point in time is pointless, so let's direct our attention to camelot to ensure we all get something out of this. we can do it everyone,

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
That reminds me. Has anyone claimed responsibility over the grinch leak? I'm not mad at them. They did a hell of a good job because they fooled me!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It say's you do interviews..... excuse my ignorance but would it possible to get some insight on the choices made with the roster for Ultimate if you get the chance? I think in general, some clarity would be nice and comforting...

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
A special message from Push Dustin.
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1058025816397799425

Here's my thoughts. They wouldn't have bothered with the trademark so soon had they generally stopped caring about the property. Theym ight be planning something. New game, means new Isaac design possibly, right? Well if that happens, it's safe to assume said design of Isaac could serve as the basis of a inclusion in smash. As they'd obviously want to prop a new game up with a smash inclusion, especially given that it's a propety that could really due for the smash push. AKA like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.
This is a major stretch, and let me tell you after me now having been through three Smash Bros speculation cycles, I can tell you stretches never work for Isaac's inclusion, ever.

This is something to bring up. Piranha Plant's inclusion sets the bar extremely low for playable characters now. It's a very frightening, worrisome thing. People have disparaged Waluigi for ages for being a spin-off character, but the fact that a generic Mario enemy got in before Waluigi makes even me feel bad for Waluigi.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
All I want now is to know how? How did the Grinch leak happen? And how did they have the legit Ken banner art?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I do feel bad for Sakurai because I feel like this Direct just made the majority of the community less hyped.
The worst part about this is that the ballot was only used for one character K.Rool, and then the ballot didn't matter anymore.
Yeah... I feel like the DLC characters have already been planned. Although people voted for third party characters and I think that’s what the majority of the DLC will be.

I still think Banjo might have a decent chance so that at least makes me happy.

Supposedly a Square rep may get in too. I’m hoping for Geno for those fans, but I think Sora might be more likely since Geno is a character icon for Shulk. Especially with Kingdom Heart 3 coming out.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thanks, this is the unfortunate silver lining of having tempered my expectations a long time ago. It's nice to have closure though.

Sadly this is the earliest into the Smash cycle that we've ever learned of Isaac's fate. Can you believe that?
IKR... I sometimes wonder what was with that kind of messy business practice. I guess that Rathalos-tweet now can be read as malicious jab to GS-fans, or more naturally just unintentionally related JRPG battle screen thing of sorts.

I think the most upsetting part about this to me has to be how I actually allowed myself to be feeling optimistic again, compared to all the way back on seeing Ultimate first time around this Spring and receiving it's announcement with pretty long-grown cynicism over how I knew this would end up probably same disappointing ride as Sm4sh was.

Now I guess I could say that half-way it didn't feel that, so trying to hop on just dropping it right back to Kencineroar and expecting rest things people rallied for, felt suddenly very pessimistic in comparison. I couldn't blame myself feeling that way.

But what happened, just happened. Probably time to move on while thinking if to plan on new things. I'm just disappointed because Ultimate feels like not going to be too new from the experience I felt with Sm4sh, or at least elevating it to a higher level - now it just looks to be fixing a lot things what Sm4sh did poorly, yet taking few steps backwards along the way.

Top Bottom