• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All I want now is to know how? How did the Grinch leak happen? And how did they have the legit Ken banner art?
Maybe ken just looked similar, maybe taken from a similar model image.

And as for the grinch leak itself. I know it looked convincing, but it was still a deceptive leak.
I thought Isaac was going to make it in though. It's kind of a ****ed up situation, really, with everything we heard around.

I wonder if the people who made the banner leak knew they were going to disappoint thousands of people.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
A special message from Push Dustin.
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1058025816397799425

Here's my thoughts. They wouldn't have bothered with the trademark so soon had they generally stopped caring about the property. Theym ight be planning something. New game, means new Isaac design possibly, right? Well if that happens, it's safe to assume said design of Isaac could serve as the basis of a inclusion in smash. As they'd obviously want to prop a new game up with a smash inclusion, especially given that it's a propety that could really due for the smash push. AKA like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.
Why should we take solace in Pushdustins word's? He's probably ECSTATIC the Grinch leak was false.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Sakurai has put so much time into this game, yet he made a blunder of this magnitude. I feel bad for the guy. It's clear he wanted this to be the best game yet, and it will be, but the plant has completely removed the idea of this being any different from the past.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not mentioning the characters that were revealed this direct still wasn't that great:
  • Besides unlocking characters why would you revisit Spirits mode or World of Light mode? There are no trophies to unlock and cutscenes can be watched online.
  • Songs? They can be purchased in the store with the in-game currency acquired with V.S. Matches.
  • Challenge mode? Besides getting extra money to spend in the shop what else is there to do besides completionist sake?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know it's really sad that this happened, but I do want to say that smash ultimate is going to be a great game. And I'd hate for the ones who got disappointed the most to hate the game because of what happened.

I hope everyone will be able to process these feelings and come out ok on the other side.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sakurai has put so much time into this game, yet he made a blunder of this magnitude. I feel bad for the guy. It's clear he wanted this to be the best game yet, and it will be, but the plant has completely removed the idea of this being any different from the past.
Well, what blunder did he make? He did tell us constantly not to expect too many characters. Tho yeah the last direct was underwhelming for characters, with the amount of time it took.
And the plant was a usual wtf character, so I dont think it's that off.

But I understand if youre feeling frustrated

ps- oops sorry about the double post

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I do feel bad for Sakurai because I feel like this Direct just made the majority of the community less hyped.

Yeah... I feel like the DLC characters have already been planned. Although people voted for third party characters and I think that’s what the majority of the DLC will be.

I still think Banjo might have a decent chance so that at least makes me happy.

Supposedly a Square rep may get in too. I’m hoping for Geno for those fans, but I think Sora might be more likely since Geno is a character icon for Shulk. Especially with Kingdom Heart 3 coming out.
I don't feel bad. Maybe the backlash will help Sakurai listen to the fans. Truely, TRUELY listen.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I would not rule out ATs as DLC, since the wave of Waluigi meming will likely lead to him getting in either this season or season 2. We still have a shot, but we need to stay strong.
The problem with that is that it would be a Pandora box that I don't think Sakurai would want to open.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Sakurai does make Waluigi or Isaac playable. Then what?....

Everyone who wants Shadow will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Skull Kid will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Lyn will demand for her promotion also.
Everyone who wants Krystal will demand for her promotion also.
Everyone who wants Knuckles will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Shovel Knight will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Alucard will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Springman will demand for his promotion also.
Everyone who wants Ashley will demand for her promotion also.
Everyone who wants Bomberman will demand for his promotion also.

It would never end for Sakurai. If he promotes one character from assist to playable, he has to do the same for others.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
The problem with that is that it would be a Pandora box that I don't think Sakurai would want to open.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Sakurai does make Waluigi or Isaac playable. Then what?....

It would never end for Sakurai. If he promotes one character from assist to playable, he has to do the same for others.
As a Krystal fan i dont even care anymore.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that if Nintendo would've made a statement about the grinch leak, that they could've saved a lot of people from too much heartache.

That said, I think it's the only thing they couldve done better, if these are all the characters they could make.
Incineroar was probably decided before they knew which alolan pokemon was the most popular

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

We already have literal mooks (Piranha Plant) added into the battle so everyone will be going up against Deku Babas, Goombas, Waddle Dees, Kremlings, the list goes on and on.

I got a better idea. Why not only include characters, assist trophies, stages and music if you are going to cut trophies?
Why waste resource time making Subspace 2.0 when all the development put towards the cutscenes is just going to be watched online anyways?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
IKR... I sometimes wonder what was with that kind of messy business practice. I guess that Rathalos-tweet now can be read as malicious jab to GS-fans, or more naturally just unintentionally related JRPG battle screen thing of sorts.

I think the most upsetting part about this to me has to be how I actually allowed myself to be feeling optimistic again, compared to all the way back on seeing Ultimate first time around this Spring and receiving it's announcement with pretty long-grown cynicism over how I knew this would end up probably same disappointing ride as Sm4sh was.

Now I guess I could say that half-way it didn't feel that, so trying to hop on just dropping it right back to Kencineroar and expecting rest things people rallied for, felt suddenly very pessimistic in comparison. I couldn't blame myself feeling that way.

But what happened, just happened. Probably time to move on while thinking if to plan on new things. I'm just disappointed because Ultimate feels like not going to be too new from the experience I felt with Sm4sh, or at least elevating it to a higher level - now it just looks to be fixing a lot things what Sm4sh did poorly, yet taking few steps backwards along the way.

I was ready for the worst scenario. But even then it still hurt lol.

That being said, I feel like I handled it better than I thought I would. I’ll admit I teared up when I saw him revealed as an AT.

When you put so much energy into something it’s hard to not get hurt when it doesn’t go your way. Especially if it’s something that means so much to you.

That’s why I decided to do this Twitter campaign thing. I have no idea if it’ll amount to anything, in fact, I’ll be honest, I don’t think it will, but I can’t call myself a Golden Sun fan if I don’t at least try. And I feel like if I don’t try Golden Sun will just fade into obscurity. I don’t want that to happen. Not again.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I’m sure Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant will be fun to play, but starting off a Direct by revealing two characters and then letting everyone know “That’s all the fighters!” probably isn’t the best way to start a Direct. I knew right then and there Isaac was an AT and it just completely ruined my mood.

The World of Light adventure mode thing looks fun, but the Spirits mode sticker thing I honestly could not give a **** less about. I know trophies are a lot of work, but I’m really going to miss them.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I guess we’re just not loud enough... we’re always called a silent majority. Looks like its a bad thing...

TappyBat

Smash Ace

so never happening. good to know. time to wait 48 billion years so isaac can get shafted again in the next game

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Here's the thing with him being a AT.

We need to get an answer from Sakurai if AT's are able to be upgraded or not.

These assumptions are just assumptions at the end of the day. We need actual proof from the man himself, because i'm beyond flabbergasted that he made him an Assist.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Hello,

I'd like to say that I saw that Isaac got in as a AT. While I do feel a bit sad, a little after I was immensenly very happy, because it means that Sakurai recognized the character and added him in.

I won't give up. Giving up is not my opinion. I will never give up. I will continue to support Isaac. I don't care anymore if I have cancer, or a disease, I will continue to forever support Isaac unill my death.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
****; I'm so pissed at all the pompous asshole insiders. I really hope they enjoy being right; cause now NO one is happy. Really got us there guy's, pretty foolish to want a roster that satisfied three large fanbases, amiright? I hope Verge is having a good ol round of applause for himself. Thank god Gamexplain didn't give the leak the time of day and can keep all their subs!

Nintandy

Smash Rookie
This definitely isn't the end of the road and I'm not giving up hope just yet. Heartbroken about Isaac being an Assist Trophy, absolutely yes, but there are still opportunities for DLC, even if unlikely (older Isaac, Matthew etc.), and the fanbase isn't going anywhere, we will continue to support Golden Sun no matter what. I am also confident that we had a strong presence in the ballot too, and with the recent trademark renewal the franchise certainly isn't dead yet. I just wish I could give everyone an enormous hug, this definitely is not the outcome we wanted and it is hard news to take. At the very least we got him back in the game, I just wish there was more we could do! Let's keep the sun shining in whatever way we can.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I know people are like “Atleast he’s an AT”

But I’m still on the opposite end of this, Id rather him not be in at all. Atleat then I could hope ( and still probably fail) for DLC

NukeA6

Smash Master
I might as well play Golden Sun soon just to see what the big deal is about. Never played the series for some reason even though it's been hyped since the early 2000s. Anyway, does he have a large role in the second or third games? People talk of Felix like he's Richter Belmont so I just wonder how high his chance would be.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I am absolutely gutted. I'll still buy the game but this has killed my hype. I'll just pick it up and play Richter I guess. Ugh.

On the plus side Isaac Trophy now has Catch and Pound psynergies. Yay?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
****; I'm so pissed at all the pompous ******* insiders. I really hope they enjoy being right; cause now NO one is happy. Really got us there guy's, pretty foolish to want a roster that satisfied three large fanbases, amiright? I hope Verge is having a good ol round of applause for himself. Thank god Gamexplain didn't give the leak the time of day and can keep all their subs!
To be fair. We’re the ones that didn’t accept what they had to say.

A lot of us ignored the possibility of it being fake. Because we wanted to believe. Is that so wrong? No. That’s what makes us a fanbase.

But a lot of them did try to tell us.

Sigh... and then there’s veggie burger. He was right. Sort of. We’re missing the Square rep he mentioned.

So I do not hate he insiders. No the only leaker I actually hate is the Grinch leaker.

1. It ended up being fake.

2. Threw some poor dude under the bus to take the heat.

3. Didn’t come out until after the Direct to say it’s fake.

An ultimate troll. But also a **** one.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
It's currently night time and raining in France. As I'm writing this waiting for my bus in the rain, I let my defenses down and depressedc for a big. But then my thoughts became clear.
What would Ridley supporters do if they were at our position? They would ignore what happened and keep fighting. And that's am I gonna and encourage you ALL to do. Never stop the fight.
I don't give a single **** if Isaac is an assist trophy again, I WILL fight for his inclusion in the game as playable character.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
To be fair. We’re the ones that didn’t accept what they had to say.

A lot of us ignored the possibility of it being fake. Because we wanted to believe. Is that so wrong? No. That’s what makes us a fanbase.

But a lot of them did try to tell us.

Sigh... and then there’s veggie burger. He was right. Sort of. We’re missing the Square rep he mentioned.

So I do not hate he insiders. No the only leaker I actually hate is the Grinch leaker.

1. It ended up being fake.

2. Threw some poor dude under the bus to take the heat.

3. Didn’t come out until after the Direct to say it’s fake.

An ultimate troll. But also a **** one.
The grinch leak guy at least let us dream. He didn't spit in our faces for wanting somthing

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I am absolutely gutted. I'll still buy the game but this has killed my hype. I'll just pick it up and play Richter I guess. Ugh.

On the plus side Isaac Trophy now has Catch and Pound psynergies. Yay?
And even with the upgrade it STILL doesn't depict him properly as an earth elemental

Graizen

Smash Champion
Im supporting Agumon for more than 10 years now.

Sometimes i got sad becouse people talked **** to me
"Why are you supporting this!?"
"This will never happen"

At least you guys got a Assist Trophy.

For now, im only hopping for the DLC.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I have another thing to comment on, at the end of the direct is says Smash bros ultimate: world of light, wouldn't this then imply that there is more than just the world of light. It'd be really cool if they did DLC seasons with different themes and tied them into spirits mode

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I might as well play Golden Sun soon just to see what the big deal is about. Never played the series for some reason even though it's been hyped since the early 2000s. Anyway, does he have a large role in the second or third games? People talk of Felix like he's Richter Belmont so I just wonder how high his chance would be.
Felix's and Isaac's stories cross and overlap, Isaac is as important as Felix to their own parts of their stories and trips <3 play them you won't be disappointed!

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
On the bright side, Isaac uses not only Move, but also Pound and Lift, so there's more detail. Better than nothing.
It actually isn't better than nothing. Nothing would mean he wouldn't be an Assist Trophy, which means he'd have a shot of being playable as DLC. Now? Now he's boxed out permanently and will NEVER be playable in Smash 5. Now, you'll have to wait for Smash 6. A pound and lift isn't worth that.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581

The media complains that Nintendo is running out of characters for smash. At this point, yes. I'd be more than fine to hand out tons of promotions in order to grow the roster further. In fact, i'd argue that we're running so low on character's we have no real choice BUT to grow the roster in such a way.

N1N

Smash Cadet
NNID
Liamdude11
3DS FC
0791-4680-8645
I seriously haven't been this disappointed since the Bayonetta reveal back in 2015. Assist trophies were a mistake.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Wow way to shut me and my optimism Mr Sakurai lol. Well it's ok I guess, I was ready to take the blame if he isn't in ~.~

Even if he didn't make the cut being playable, I am proud of each and everyone of you that you kept supporting him with me till the very end and I am thankful for that :) With that said let's just see how things will be going from here on out. I will still keep supporting GS until it gets the recognition it deserves!

I hope that we can at least get 1-2 more and great OSTs for Golden Sun in Smash. Heads up everyone! It might not be our day today but we wouldn't be the Isaac Support Thread if we would just quit right now. Keep supporting our golden boy together with me and make ourselves still be heard even after this direct. (BIG MAYBE FOR FELIX PERHAPS?!!!! probably not but one can dream!)

We should also help our Lloyd Bros and hopefully make their dream come true since I would at least love for them to have their character :D

The only thing I am rly disappointed with and personally find kinda disrespectful is the stupid plant thing. It's not about Isaac or anything but for the smash fanbase in general. We deserve way better than that piece of garbage :/. I would have been fine with ANY fan requested character! Shadow, Geno, Banjo, Lloyd HECK even Waluigi which I cared most least about. But that thing is just upright total BS that NO ONE EVER ASKED FOR.

I hope for the sake of everyone that the DLC will be satisfying for the community.

Keep fighting brothers and sisters so we might see the sun rise again at one point :)

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I'm just waiting for Sakurai's statement on why he decided to slaughter everyone lol

Top Bottom