• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I'm just waiting for Sakurai's statement on why he decided to slaughter everyone lol
Sakurai: "Because you don't open the presents before christmas......."

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
i mean everyone like even the main cast died in the direct he killed everyone but kirby
Obvious bias here :p

On another note, with Isaac out of main roster i don't even know who to play as. I don't want to be back at playing Ike again. Robin is nice but way too heavy for my taste. I just don't know what character would be a good replacement.
Maybe i'll make an isaac mii swordfighter.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
The media complains that Nintendo is running out of characters for smash. At this point, yes. I'd be more than fine to hand out tons of promotions in order to grow the roster further. In fact, i'd argue that we're running so low on character's we have no real choice BUT to grow the roster in such a way.
I agree, but I think we all know that Sakurai does not want to work on smash forever. He showed that today. Characters that would make excellent fighters were thrown under the assist trophy bus so he wouldn't have to be asked about them later down the road in Ultimate's life cycle.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Something along the lines of "couldn't think of a moveset or implement it correctly".
“We just couldn’t think of a move set for Isaac. He doesn’t seem to have much going for him. So we made a piranha plant in a pot playable.”

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
You know what really makes me mad about this whole situation? Amount of people opposed to isaac being in ultimate. Writing him off as "another anime sword fighter". If only they knew....
You can check anywhere on the internet and you'll find people acting like pricks to GS fans. This thread is our sanctuary from the likes of those people but even then i've seen one breach through here already. I guess being an isaac fan calls for times of hostility towards us.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Obvious bias here :p

On another note, with Isaac out of main roster i don't even know who to play as. I don't want to be back at playing Ike again. Robin is nice but way too heavy for my taste. I just don't know what character would be a good replacement.
Maybe i'll make an isaac mii swordfighter.
I have 6 characters I've planned to try out and see who to main, with Isaac replaced by Incineroar. Try random, you might be surprised.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I’m surprised we got Ken and they didn’t scrap him for another Fire Emblem character to go with the new Pokémon and Mario characters. Because those three franchises need as much representation as they can get!

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I’m surprised we got Ken and they didn’t scrap him for another Fire Emblem character to go with the new Pokémon and Mario characters. Because those three franchises need as much representation as they can get!
the only thing i don't get is why pirhana plant, like out of ALL the mario characters why him specifically, I want to play as Nabbit god dammit

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You know what really makes me mad about this whole situation? Amount of people opposed to isaac being in ultimate. Writing him off as "another anime sword fighter". If only they knew....
You can check anywhere on the internet and you'll find people acting like pricks to GS fans. This thread is our sanctuary from the likes of those people but even then i've seen one breach through here already. I guess being an isaac fan calls for times of hostility towards us.
Waluigi and Isaac fans are the Ridley and K. Rool fans of this gaming generation.

Fire Emblem will be DLC.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
****; I'm so pissed at all the pompous ******* insiders. I really hope they enjoy being right; cause now NO one is happy. Really got us there guy's, pretty foolish to want a roster that satisfied three large fanbases, amiright? I hope Verge is having a good ol round of applause for himself. Thank god Gamexplain didn't give the leak the time of day and can keep all their subs!
Exactly. Not to mention, I've been a long time sub of GX, it's been years but I unsubbed after they didn't properly cover the Grinch leak. That's them covering their *** to stay safe from Nintendo, not actual journalism.

On another note, I think the biggest problem I have with Piranha Plant isn't that he's a joke character, or came at literally the worst possible time, or shows that a generic enemy somehow is a better choice for a character than Isaac, but it's the fact that him in really represents the decline of Smash. It used to be a true Hall of Fame, but starting in Smash 4, and now with Piranha Plant, it shows that Sakurai suddenly doesn't care about properly representing what fans want. We thought we would get fan favorites this time around, but really only two uniques (Ridley and K. Rool) made it. Isaac fans got snow globe hell and Banjo and Geno fans have to hope for DLC. ****. Sakura really dropped the ball this time. The ****ing plant in as a PC really proves to me that Sakurai is done with Smash. It's just one last middle finger to us and other fans, like Waluigi or Shovel Knight.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Very sorry about Isaac's fate.

I doubt it was done maliciously, but revealing the Assist Trophy now instead of E3 or the August Direct was a pretty poor decision on the team's part.

For you guys' sake, hopefully Assist Trophies are eligible for DLC.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

I doubt it was done maliciously, but revealing the Assist Trophy now instead of E3 or the August Direct was a pretty poor decision on the team's part.

How could it not be malicious? There's no doubt Sakurai and the team knew about Isaac's demand, but they decided to string us along anyway, with teases and circumstantial evidence that adds up to one playable character, except it didn't. This entire Direct was a big mistake, literally the only good thing was the excellent World of Light opening cutscene. Switching this one with 8/8 would have amazing, and we wouldn't have to deal with the **** we went through. If any Assist Trophy is DLC, it's Isaac, though, so I hope to god Sakurai realizes this.

Just saw the direct.

Wow.... I'm SO sorry for all of you. That was just horrible. I can imagine the pain you all felt when your most wanted was not only brutally deconfirmed (and in a role that most certiantly prevents him from being DLC, no less), but they gave you false hope by purposely stretching out his reveal until the last ****ing minute. MAGOR **** move. Y'all didn't deserve that.

Last edited:

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
To all you saying "not giving up", what exactly do you mean? Support for the next game? Felix or Matthew as DLC?

I guess I can't really get behind the idea that Sakurai would turn assist trophies playable. I said this months ago in regards to Ashley, and I just don't think Isaac will be playable in this game. It's not impossible but it's not going to happen.

Damn shame, too. I mostly just wanted Golden Sun music, if we're being honest..

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I'm just counting on Billy to to push Isaac's name out there. He's the only really big voice among us. Until the DLC seasons stop (i'm betting on more than one TBH) i'm holding out. And I will continue to hold out until that point or Sakurai flat out says no assist may promote. If the worse comes and Sakurai says that, or it's not DLC, then with how good Isaac's model looks (outside of that awful hair and face lol) then it's on the modders. I'm fine either way. I've waited an eternity already. I can wait longer.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Speaking of the grinch leak, is ken's official art on the mural actually the same as the leak's?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Found this online, it pretty much sums up how it's been so far...

But, maybe Sakurai will grant special exception for Isaac fans. I ****ing doubt it, given how Golden Sun has been treated by Nintendo recently.

Attachments

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna say Sakurai is biased but someone needs to bluntly ask him about certain things in interviews. Lack of Toad, Why certain series get shafted, The absence of series's like Golden Sun, etc. If he can make a good statement; then there's no fear or bais in my eyes. I just want to see his thought process on certain things IN DETAIL.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Speaking of the grinch leak, is ken's official art on the mural actually the same as the leak's?
it is similar but it's in a different spot

although now we know that ken leak was real, the taunt and the portrait match to a T (though was anyone really shocked)

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
This was definitely a disappointing Direct, considering all we've been dealing with before this past week. That said, I'm still optimistic and excited to have the game in hand December 7th! I'm taking off that Friday and Monday and playing for four days, trying to unlock as many characters as possible with my friends and enjoy every bit of it I can play. Despite the tragic loss of the Grinch leak and no longer having the prospect of Issac, Geno, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and, of course, Banjo & Kazooie in the base roster, I still give major props to whoever made that banner. It inspired hope in us and I for one am keeping that fake banner in my collection of photos just as a reminder that the perfect Smash roster may yet be made some day. I hold no hard feelings towards Sakurai and know he's doing his best to please as many people as possible. This game is still going to be fun to play with my friends and hopefully maybe someday everyone's favorites will manage to make it in. I hope you all keep your spirits high and not get mired down in disappointment for too long. This game can still be surprising and entertaining. Hope to see you all on the battlefield!

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm really sorry for you guys. At least Isaac was popular enough to get an assist... again...
(Yeah, there's really no sugarcoating this situation)

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I'm really sorry for you guys. At least Isaac was popular enough to get an assist... again...
(Yeah, there's really no sugarcoating this situation)
Our votes got him back to Brawl status!! We did it guys!! Yeah it sucks

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
*Sigh*

Isaac would have been so cool as a playable fighter...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
This was definitely a disappointing Direct, considering all we've been dealing with before this past week. That said, I'm still optimistic and excited to have the game in hand December 7th! I'm taking off that Friday and Monday and playing for four days, trying to unlock as many characters as possible with my friends and enjoy every bit of it I can play. Despite the tragic loss of the Grinch leak and no longer having the prospect of Issac, Geno, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and, of course, Banjo & Kazooie in the base roster, I still give major props to whoever made that banner. It inspired hope in us and I for one am keeping that fake banner in my collection of photos just as a reminder that the perfect Smash roster may yet be made some day. I hold no hard feelings towards Sakurai and know he's doing his best to please as many people as possible. This game is still going to be fun to play with my friends and hopefully maybe someday everyone's favorites will manage to make it in. I hope you all keep your spirits high and not get mired down in disappointment for too long. This game can still be surprising and entertaining. Hope to see you all on the battlefield!
Banjo-Kazooie is my second most wanted so I’m all aboard the Banjo hype train now. I think they have a good chance at DLC.

D

Deleted member

I guess not every character was guaranteed.

Still hope for the future.

And there's always a new Smash or Golden Sun.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
at this point he'll never be playble "ridley, k.rool!" here's the bout them , THEIR SERIES AREN'T ****ING DEAD! We'll never get anyone from the triougly playable ever. Sakurai just doesn't care. I mean all of us were outed by a plant! A GODDAMN PLANT! that's it it's over next game! I hear you say? pfft we'll be lucky not the cut from that one and made it to snowglobe hell after that one! and by that time Golden Sun will be deader than it already is!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have a sickening feeling that Sakurai is turning a blind eye and covering his ears to the reception this direct got....

KMDP

Smash Legend

I'm crossing my fingers.
How could it not be malicious? There's no doubt Sakurai and the team knew about Isaac's demand, but they decided to string us along anyway, with teases and circumstantial evidence that adds up to one playable character, except it didn't. This entire Direct was a big mistake, literally the only good thing was the excellent World of Light opening cutscene. Switching this one with 8/8 would have amazing, and we wouldn't have to deal with the **** we went through. If any Assist Trophy is DLC, it's Isaac, though, so I hope to god Sakurai realizes this.
There are many reasons that Isaac and Shadow were revealed now and not back in July/August, almost none of them out of malice.

1) The Isaac and Shadow ATs weren't ready until recently.
2) The Isaac and Shadow ATs were created late because they wanted to make them playable but ran out of time.
3) The Dev Team wanted to spread out the AT reveals, and Isaac and Shadow got the short end of the stick.
4) The Dev Team actively wanted to mess with us.

I doubt it was Option 4, to be honest.
To all you saying "not giving up", what exactly do you mean? Support for the next game? Felix or Matthew as DLC?

I guess I can't really get behind the idea that Sakurai would turn assist trophies playable. I said this months ago in regards to Ashley, and I just don't think Isaac will be playable in this game. It's not impossible but it's not going to happen.

Damn shame, too. I mostly just wanted Golden Sun music, if we're being honest..
If demand gets high enough, anything can change.

There isn't any rule that states that "Once an Assist, always an Assist" within Smash Bros.

That aside, just look at DB: FighterZ, it's possible to have two Android #17s on a team, one of whom is an Assist Character for Android #18.

Last edited:

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
I guess not every character was guaranteed.

Still hope for the future.

And there's always a new Smash or Golden Sun.
I assume this is the final smash game since they went all out and seeing sakurai so visibly exhausted. If not, we're looking at another 5-6 years for the next one. Our safest bet is matthew as dlc. He may not be isaac but it's his son and the closest thing we can get to him. And if we can get a new golden sun even better because i can see him as promotional dlc to promote the new game.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
You would be right mister, I too came to the realization that Isaac won't be in the game.

What is that disgusting thing call trademark renewal? And for mobile and downloadable content too. Nintendo is clearly trolling whit all of us.

What? Trademark was renew before expiration? Reggie was clearly drunk that day!

For Ultimate soundtrack it's always a new composer (main theme is the exception) Motoi Sakuraba which is working on Ultimate already got is song shown on the website.
What do you mean he has still yet to appear?

Anyway it's not like Isaac was present in polls back in 2015.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Second hu? Someone must have made a mistake.

Funny how a lot of the character who score less then Isaac are back playable or as AT.

Clearly Isaac AT wasn't shown because he is less popular then all the disconfirm characters... oh wait a sec... he's more popular...

Anyway it's not like Dady Sakurai teased Isaac or anything, BAKA.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1027234926167388160

Seriously I must sound like the biggest as***** here (nothing personal) but we have evidence to believe that Isaac is in base, no one is delusional.

I'm just angry because a lot of people just don't know these things behind the scene.

And I did not even start about how the Rathalos tweet is 100% GS, so I will just copy pasta as always.

Alright here's the essay I copy past every Isaac theme Smash video.
https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai

I believe that Isaac is in this time, this is just too much...

First we have 3 characters in an arena, in GS, if you play against a friend, you can only use 3 characters instead of 4 since the GBA can't handle 8 adepts.

Second, why Link, Marth and Shulk in this order?
They are shown from oldest to newest, and we can replace them by your first 3 party members in Golden Sun.

Link = Isaac, both are silent protagonist.
Marth = Garet, Marth come from FIRE Emblem and Garet is a Mars adept, so he controls fire.

IMPORTANT: "???" is Marth's name, it is also how "Mars" is transliterated in Japanese.
In the fire Emblem OVA Marth name is Mars.

Shulk = Yvan, both have the ability to see into the FUTURE.

This angle is rarelly used in RPG, Camelot is one of the only studio using it.

Golden Sun got trademark last year and dark dawn website was update twice in last month

Also, I believe that Rathalos may be a reference to the Fusion Dragon, the final boss in Golden Sun, why?

Both the Fusion Dragon and the Rathalos use fire attack and both can poison.

Beside the fusion dragon comes from the fusion of two Mars adepts (mars adepts controls fire like Garet)

And in Monster Hunter, the Rathalos drops can be use to make Fire Weapon, while the Rathian (the female) is use to make poison weapons.

So Rathalos is more link to fire then poison just like the Fusion Dragon.

Beside it's not the first time that Sakurai has use Twitter to tease a character, he did it whit Palutena, Shulk, Bayonneta, and Simon/King K Roll (red eyes)

He even put a freaking red and yellow barell during E3 were he was getting record to tease King K Roll early, so it would not be the first time.

Finally Golden Sun Dark Dawn page was update twice in the past weeks, it was the first time in years. (It may very well be nothing thought).

So yeah, Isaac is pretty much confirmed...

+ In one of is interview Sakurai stated that he is super carefull on twitter to not disapoint the fans.

I'd be sock at this point if Isaac is not in.

We also have 5 more stages to reveal.
Wow I can't believe all this evidence ended up being nothing more than coincidence.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I'm crossing my fingers.

There are many reasons that Isaac and Shadow were revealed now and not back in July/August, almost none of them out of malice.

1) The Isaac and Shadow ATs weren't ready until recently.
2) The Isaac and Shadow ATs were created late because they wanted to make them playable but ran out of time.
3) The Dev Team wanted to spread out the AT reveals, and Isaac and Shadow got the short end of the stick.
4) The Dev Team actively wanted to mess with us.

I doubt it was Option 4, to be honest.

If demand gets high enough, anything can change.

There isn't any rule that states that "Once an Assist, always an Assist" within Smash Bros.

That aside, just look at DB: FighterZ, it's possible to have two Android #17s on a team, one of whom is an Assist Character for Android #18.
for 2, then why not hold them for dlc/ why ****ing blueball us like this? no, it was malice

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Isaac is pretty much done for this season of DLC coming forward. I see no way they reverse his fate for these 5 forthcoming characters.

After that, if there is extra DLC (namely extra seasons), however... Isaac is going to be one of the last real "survivors" left. If we get a Season 2 of DLC (I think it's p damn likely), no way Spring Man stays just an Assist Trophy character. There's a chance the same is true of Skull Kid?

Why not Isaac? Why not us? Isaac is one of the most popular Nintendo-owned characters not playable in Smash that has unique elements that are super inherent to add.

Assist Trophies never were flat out said to be a reason a character can't be playable. That's all fan made "rules." Remember when Cloud Strife couldn't be in Smash? I did. I heard that nonsense for 8 years until there he was.

The time is too soon to give up. Yes, we should probably consider the next year plus "dead time" for Isaac getting added... but that never made us defer before. We kept marching on. Right we can lay down and bleed a little, but we're going to get up and keep going. If we stay positive and kind and optimistic and vocal, things can change.

There are no limits.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
for 2, then why not hold them for dlc/ why ****ing blueball us like this? no, it was malice
Because if they weren't in the game at all (especially Shadow) people would be incredibly suspicious.

"Why isn't Shadow an AT?" "He must be one of the DLC Characters." That's not conducive to surprising reveals.

Calm down, Isaac wasn't made an AT out of malicious intent.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a sickening feeling that Sakurai is turning a blind eye and covering his ears to the reception this direct got....
I mean, he probably should. Overall the game looks great and is packed with content far above previous games or other series in the genre. It will perform well critically and commercially and seems like it will be embraced by the fanbase to a greater extent than the past two titles. He did a great job, as he usually does. Ultimate looks incredibly solid, and let's not forget the past reveals; he did indeed take into account our subset of the audience.

This wasn't as hype as the August Direct, true enough, but the fanbase whipping itself up into a frenzy, in part due to Mr. Grinch, is no small part of the backlash now. Plus the normal backlash that always comes with the realignment of hope that comes from the full roster reveal.

And I say this as someone who after a particularly turbulent ride, had their most-wanted character deconfirmed both for the base game, and likely for DLC as well.

Top Bottom